• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Paco Kelly Acu'rzr resizing tool review

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
I originally posed a question here Neal Waltz die, Paco Kelly acu'rzr, D Rock tool about these resizing tools and results of using them - if anyone is using them.

A fine gentleman passed his Paco Kelly Acu'rzr tool to me, and I had an oppurtunity to use it and produce a bit of a range report.

The principle of the Paco Acu'rzr tool is to resize the diameter of the bullet and change the nose of the bullet for better flight and increased accuracy. According to advertising and others, the claim is that group size is reduced / accuracy is increased using the tool on "bulk type cheap ammo".

There are four components, the main tool that houses the ammo and 3 rods that shape / resize the bullet inside the tool. I used a rubber mallet so as not to have too sharp of a blow to the brass rods and deform them, and I also added a flat smooth piece of aluminum to provide a "hard" surface to put the tool on. Safety glasses should be used.

Pacotoolother.jpg

The main tool (housing) has two sides, one for each resizing to .223 / .224 diameter (Top view).

Pacotooltopview.jpg

Top view of the main tool and the three rods. My camera cannot take that good of close up, so I drew what the rods look like on the business end. From left to right is the Acu'rzr (dish type concave nose), Nastinose or phase III (more of a traditional hollowpoint), Scorpion or phase IV (a large dish type hollowpoint with a center post).

toolandrodtopview.jpg

Operation is simple, insert (may have to tap in with mallet or push the rest of the way into the tool against a hard surface) ammo.

insertedammo.jpg

Place on a hard, flat, smooth surface, make sure the round is fully inserted, insert rod from the top and strike.

insertedrod.jpg

To remove ammo, pick up tool, lightly tap on the rod, the ammo pops out. The ammo may stick to the Scorpion rod as it is a more complex nose design.

processedammodrawing.jpg

I put the tool to a test using CCI Blazer ammo, as it was the only "cheap bulk" ammo I had on hand. The Blazers shoot rather well in their own right, so perhaps not the best candidate to see a major difference, but again it is what I had on hand and should give some result to pursue using it on other cheap ammo.

I first micrometered the unresized bullet diameters of the blazers, which actually ranged from .221 to .222 diameter the most being .221, next highest .2215, and finally .222. The diameters were checked at the beginning, middle, and end (where it meets the casing) of the driving band.

When the ammo was processed through the Paco Acu'rzr through the advertised <span style="font-weight: bold">.223 side</span>:

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Acu'rzr rod</span> - Actually changed the bullet diameter to a consistant .221 from the front to the end of the driving band. All grooves were made smooth and the bullet was flush with the casing.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Nastinose rod</span> - To see any difference in the bullet diameter, the rod had to be struck strongly - leading to cause major deformation of the hollowpoint and actually caused the bullet to be bent to one side. A lighter strike to the rod produced no change in bullet diameter, but a very uniform hollowpoint. Slight change to the nose cone to allow for the HP space, but the change was uniform with a light strike.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Scorpion rod</span> - Same as the Nastinose.

When the ammo was processed through the Paco Acu'rzr through the advertised <span style="font-weight: bold">.224 side</span>:

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Acu'rzr rod </span> - Created a more tapered driving band, from .2215 to .224 (and sometimes .225). Visibly looked as though the lead had been scraped or "mushed" around the case area. Alighter strike to the rod still created the taper, but was less consistant diameter wise as the heavier struck ammo.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Nastinose rod</span> - Much like the .223 side, lighter strikes produced a better uniform HP, heavy strikes really caused major deformations. Light strikes produce no diameter change.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Scorpion rod</span> - Same as with the Nastinose, heavy strikes deformed bullet, HOWEVER in contrast lighter strikes did expand diameter to .224 and sometimes .225.

First thoughts: after resizing 65+ rounds - it appears you have to have a "knack for the whack" when striking the rods. Either you severly deform the entire head making it unsuitable to shoot, or not a heavy enough of a strike doesn't make the larger diameter. To me it appeared the most consistant nose shaping went to the nastinose rod, and the most consistant bullet diameter maker was the Acu'rzr rod. Also would like to note that bullets before resizing did not twist / spin in the case with hand pressure, yet most did spin after processing. There's no real "stop" to regulate the amount of force / pressure you are applying to the rod and IMO too many variables for a consistant result - BUT rimfires sometime contridict what one thinks what makes sence we'll see what happens on paper.

One quick note before range results, I also checked the rim thickness before and after the resizing. Heavier strikes to the rod make the rim thickness shrink slightly, sometimes up to a full thousand of an inch, and for the most part to a consistant .038. The range of rim thickness before being struck ranged from .038 to .0395. So I believe that the rims are getting "squished" slightly with the heavier strikes, lighter struck ammo had no rim thickness differences.

Now for some results.....

Re: Paco Kelly Acu'rzr resizing tool review

<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">RANGE RESULTS</span></span>

82 DEG. f, 40% Humidity, M. Sunny. A Savage MKII BV heavy barrel was used, 10oz. trigger, rifle was leveled and shot off a Harris bipod and rear bag. CCI Blazer ammo was used. It was weight sorted then evenly distributed (mixed) in the magazine to give a true objective mix of ammo weights. Ammo was processed in both .223 and .224 sides of the tool at 50 and 100 yards. A cntrol group of unresized and mixed weight lots was shot for a comparison. 30 seconds were waited between shots, 15 minutes between groups. A 1" circle bull was used at 50 yards, 1.5" bull used at 100 yards.

<span style="color: #FF0000">50 YARDS, .223 side</span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Unresized</span>: 1" including a 1st shot flyer, .75" without

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Acu'rzr rod</span>: 1.75" including a flyer, -1" without - had difficulty feeding with heavily struck ammo. Appeared that the tip of the nose kept getting hung up going into the chamber.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Nastinose rod</span>: 1" with or without what may be considered a 1st round flyer.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Scorpion rod</span>: 1" still having a 1st round flyer. The fifth round would not chamber, again the nose got hung up.

paco50yd223.jpg

<span style="color: #FF0000">50 YARDS, .224 side</span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Unresized</span>: 1" (first 2 roounds were at least .5" from the last 3)

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Acu'rzr rod</span>: 1st attempt - 2 rounds chambered the other three i couldn't close the bolt. 2nd attempt - with a lighter struck ammo made on site 1", BUT 1 round did not feed properly and ruined the tip anyway.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Nastinose rod</span>: .75" no problems feeding or chambering

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Scorpion rod</span>: 1.25", had some feeding issues.

pacotool50yd224.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">50 YARD NOTES</span>: Acu'rzr and Scorpion had noticable resistance to chambering / bolt closing using the .224 side. Nastinose grouped well through the .224 side. Both the .223 and .224 side - other than the Nastinose sized to .224, there was no real eye opening accuracy improvements compared to the unresized ammo. The amount of misfeeds and troouble chambering didn't warrant processing bullets for 50 yards. I do like the Nastinose as a way of changing a favorite ammo that is purely a Round Nose bullet into a Hollowpoint hunting round. Plus it did not change the POI much, and accuracy didn't suffer.

I figured that if any improvement was to be realized or measurable, it would be at a longer distance, so....

<span style="color: #FF0000">100 YARDS, .223 side</span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Unresized</span>: 1.5" / 2" with a 1st round flyer

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Acu'rzr rod</span>: group was looking great, HOWEVER the last 2 rounds misfed and tips were deformed. I reshot with lighter struck ammo on made one site, no driving band diameter data. -1.25" or +1.25" including 1 flyer.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Nastinose rod</span>: -1", 1.5" with 1 flyer

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Scorpion rod</span>: ??? found it difficult to find all 5 rounds shot. For distance over 50 yards this is not the rod to use. Of the 3 rounds that did hit the paper, 1 was 6" away at the 8:00 position, the other was 2" away and at the 5:00 position.

pacotool223100yd.jpg

<span style="color: #FF0000">100 YARDS, .224 side</span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Unresized</span>: -1.5" one hole in picture is actually from the Scorpion "group"

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Acu'rzr rod</span>: -1.5" but inconclusive - only a 3 round group, the other 2 would not chamber and i abondoned any further attempts for safety reasons.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Nastinose rod</span>: -1.5" without counting a round that I know I pulled. -2" including the pulled shot.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Scorpion rod</span>: ??? same as the .223 sized ammo - Horrible groups (no group at all) at longer ranges. Best used at short range.

pacotool224100yd.jpg

OVERVIEW: unless somehow used through a press, there's no way of truely regulating the amount of force used and applied while striking the ammo, causing subtle and sometimes major differences - too much force you deform the tip and nose, but resize is achieved to the driving band and a new diameter. Too little force, forms a consistant tip, but no real difference in diameter. Feeding and chambering become an issue, dependability suffers. Of the three rods, the Nastinose hollowpoint maker appears to be the only one of value to convert your match or other Round Nose solid points into more effective hunting hollowpoints. The Nastinose performed well through both .223 and .224 sides of the tool, with only a slight difference in POI at 50 and 100 yards and had no feeding or chambering issues.

<span style="font-weight: bold">As a disclaimer</span>, CCI Blazers was the only ammo tested; it has been reported by others that some ammos thake well to the resizing process and had shrunk groups, other ammos get worse, and some remain the same. But I have not had enough positive results with the Blazers either through processing them or on paper to pursue further testing with other ammo.

Also as chambers and the way ammo feeds differ from firearm to firearm, the issues I had in my particular set up may not occur in yours. For face value though, for the amount of time and effort using the Paco Acu'rzr tool, the time would be better spent weight or rimthickness sorting, or just plainly buying better ammo.

What a dissapointing result. It seems like you end up wasting alot of ammo trying to get even just a few that will perform properly, and even then the work that goes into doing this (with this particular tool) is for no returns. I wonder if the tool that requires being set up in a reloading press will yield better results due to more consistent applied pressure?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For face value though, for the amount of time and effort using the Paco Acu'rzr tool, the time would be better spent weight or rimthickness sorting, or just plainly buying better ammo.</div></div>

You mean I had to read through ALL THAT and look carefully at EACH TARGET to get that result?!?!?! DAMNIT ALL TO HELL!!!!
wink.gif

Thanks for the thorough review, TP. It is very much appreciated. I currently weigh and sort by using a Hornady rimfire rim thickness gauge, but have seen/heard of the Paco method before. Never really gave it much thought and thanks to your review/findings...I think I'll skip it and stick to my usual routine.

i was a bit disappointed too, even though the tool was free.

i'm also thinking the waltz die may be the better choice if only for not destroying ammo along the way and for more consistancy.

i'm sure the Paco can be used in an arbor press to give a better application of force, but at this point there are too many ifs to pursue. though it may work with other cheap ammos better, not enough evidence to elude that it would be a substaintiated investment.

but in the end it wasn't really that much of a waste, i've found something new to look at - bullet diameter - as a possible way of sorting, and i now know that my MKII finds it hard to feed / chamber .224 and .225 diametered ammo.

plus at least i got 1 "i wonder if that works" thought put to rest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">plus at least i got 1 "i wonder if that works" thought put to rest. </div></div>

AMEN TO THAT!! Always better to "know" than to wonder, guess, speculate, etc.

Are you still thinking about giving the Waltz die a go? I know you said at one point in the other thread that you might try one out as well.

As a note to the review...I use mine for pest control. In an urban environment noise is a concern. I use CB caps. Single shot old M67 Winny. Can't hear it at 25 feet. BUT...possums are so dumb they don't know they have been shot in the head for 20 to 30 minutes. The deep hollow pointer ("Nasty Nose") from Paco makes all the difference. One shot, that's all. DRT. Accuracy seems unchanged, but results on critters...makes my day. JMHO

I really don't think you are going to get anywhere accuracy wise from any of the three sizers. I do however believe that you will be making some devastating hunting rounds.

I have wondered about the .22 RF bullet 're-formers' for quite a while; so, it's good to see some real testing. What I'd really be curious to see is if they would improve the hunting performance of ammo like Wolf MT...

when time permits over the next few weeks i'll stop by the dollar store and pick up some tiolet paper, soak three rolls with water, and take a shot at each roll at 25 and maybe 50 yards with 1 regular RN, 1 nastinose reform, and 1 scorpion reform with WOLF MT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 725franky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have wondered about the .22 RF bullet 're-formers' for quite a while; so, it's good to see some real testing. What I'd really be curious to see is if they would improve the hunting performance of ammo like Wolf MT... </div></div>

The short answer is yes it will increse the killing potential. Anything that widens the meplat will greatly increse the killing potential of the otherwise round nose of wolf ammo. The CCI small game round is very effective. The hollow point is not necasarily what increases the killing potential of the hollow point round but rather the increased surface area of the meplat. I would put my money on the Accurizer punch being the most effective small game nose of the 3 that TP has shown here. If it were me I would get an old hunk of barrel and ream it to .224 and trim it off to .910" in length. Put the round in and file off the nose to flatten the meplat. You may need to fiddle with the length of this homemade die to get the exact meplat you want...ie .910" could be too much or too little. I have read of several tools like this being made for this purpose by inventive individuals with pockets too shallow for expensive dies. Any flattening of the nose will increase the killing potential. Look at cast hunting bullets and their wide meplats.

Thanks, TP; once again you have saved me from a disappointment.

The thing I like most about the .22LR is how ell it works on a minimum investment. It just seems to me that every time I go for an upgrade; mostly all I get is diminishing returns and minimal cost effectiveness.

Less is not more, but apparently more is not more, either.

Mess with it the less, enjoy it the more.

we made a tool at the shop for resizing .22LR ammo, but this one can be used in any reloading press.it's adjustable as to how much it'll resize the bullet. it'll go all the way to .226". I'll leave myself a note and run by the shop tomorrow and post pictures of it. I think I still have the last target I shot using a bunch of different bullets. I'll get pictures of tool, punches, bullets and target up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 725franky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have wondered about the .22 RF bullet 're-formers' for quite a while; so, it's good to see some real testing. What I'd really be curious to see is if they would improve the hunting performance of ammo like Wolf MT... </div></div>

The short answer is yes it will increse the killing potential. Anything that widens the meplat will greatly increse the killing potential of the otherwise round nose of wolf ammo. The CCI small game round is very effective. The hollow point is not necasarily what increases the killing potential of the hollow point round but rather the increased surface area of the meplat. I would put my money on the Accurizer punch being the most effective small game nose of the 3 that TP has shown here. <span style="color: #FF0000">If it were me I would get an old hunk of barrel and ream it to .224 and trim it off to .910" in length. Put the round in and file off the nose to flatten the meplat. You may need to fiddle with the length of this homemade die to get the exact meplat you want...ie .910" could be too much or too little. </span>I have read of several tools like this being made for this purpose by inventive individuals with pockets too shallow for expensive dies. Any flattening of the nose will increase the killing potential. Look at cast hunting bullets and their wide meplats. </div></div>

this^ in red works great. I make these "flat tippers" out of left over barrel liners and just run an old .22 chamber reamer in it. then cut it off and file down a bit, til it looks good. then heat it up til it's bright red and drop it in some cold water. file won't hardy even scratch it then and you can use it for years. I give em away at the shop to squirrel/varmit hunters. if you use the end of an old liner with the groove cut in it, you can twist some stainless wire in the groove to make a ring and keep it on your keychain. you can hear the huge difference in impact sound between the normal bullets and the flattened bullets. normal bullets make a "whack" sound, the flattened bullets sounds more like "THWACK!!!!!"....the impact on a squirrels skull is even more dramatic.

I would have serious uncertainties about any technique that involves whacking projectiles on the nose manually. IMHO there's just no way to build consistency into such a system.

I would prefer something that employs controlled energy and travel, maybe with adjustable stops; which should ensure a consistent bullet deformation.

Some means of determining quality assurance after working the projetile would also seem necessary to me.

Greg

I looked briefely to see if there were any conversions to shellholders for your Dillon press but alas it does not appear to be an option for you. So, you can get a cheap Lee single stage press for under 100 but that just adds a good chunk of money to an experiment. On top of the $125(?) for the Waltz die you're looking at quite an investment for just reshaping/resizing 22lr bullets. If it pays dividends then in the long run it may become worth the investment, however if it does not prove its worth you find yourself regretting the purchase.

Heck 225 dollars (approximate) would get you a good deal of match ammo. Depending on how much you shoot, it may not be worth the investment. I would personally love to see a test done by someone I trust to provide good results in a fair test before making the purchase myself. For me, Wolf MT is plenty accurate for now.

-Dylan

That's pretty much my view as well.

I don't need crater-ripper terminal performance, and as far as .22lr's are concerned, any accuracy better than 1MOA is an unanticipated dividend.

I like them for what they do, and really don't feel any need to squeeze something extra out of what is already such a sweet package to begin with.

Greg

instead of posting pictures of my .22LR resizer here, I started a new thread for it.....it's called "Bullet Squeezer", that's what everyone at the shop calls it.