• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rangefinder Binoculars Reviews & Field Tests: Ranging Performance Results

Ring

Rifle Instructor
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
Medina, Ohio
sites.google.com
Rangefinder Binoculars Reviews & Field Tests: Ranging Performance Results | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

over all, geat review and test.. only complaint and i emailed him on it is the 1600 ARC beam divergence, I have the 10x 1600 fusion arc binos… At 25y the beam measured .5wX2h inch…So at 100 should be 2×8″ that .55mills wide by 2.3 mills tall ish…

tested with NVG’s ….
also, its a vertical strip, not horizontal

and i have definitely gotten better performance out of it under bad summer conditions...

and something as well in this review on the 1miles..
BigJimFish Review of Bushnell Fusion 1 Mile ARC Laser Rangefinding Binoculars

his tested ranges seem to differ greatly from what i have seen as well as this other test....

not sure if is a bad unite or something else

That is a pretty good review. I have the Leica HD rangefinder binoculars and I'm pretty happy with them. I have the occasional no read but that's usually from my dumb ass putting my finger in front of the lense blocking the beam. It's something I have to point out to most people before they try them out or they will say these don't work. I need to get a tripod and mount for them to make ranging easier but I don't use them enough to justify buying one.

Hey, I'm the author of PrecisionRifleBlog.com, and just wanted to say thanks for sharing the link to the ranging results. I tested 8 models of rangefinders, with a focus on rangefinding binoculars. The results are based on over 10,000 data points collected from the field over 3 months of testing.

Here are the models tested:
  • Vectronix Vector 23
  • Vectronix Terrapin
  • Leica Geovid HD-B 10×42
  • Leica Geovid HD Classic 10×42
  • Zeiss Victory RF 10×45
  • Bushnell Fusion 1 Mile 10×42
  • Bushnell Fusion 1600 10×42
  • Leupold RX-1000i

The difference between the Bushnell Fusion results I found and others that have reviewed those products could likely be due to the targets and scenarios I was ranging. There are a ton of details about the actual targets in the post, but most of them were around 2 MOA wide, which are relatively small targets. That is the typical target size used in precision rifle competitions. If you were trying to range larger targets, or the side of a hill ... you could likely get distances further than what my testing found. The environmental and atmospheric conditions can also cause variance in ranging performance, and like you mentioned there could even be variance from one pair to another if the manufacturer doesn't have tight quality control. Both the Bushnell 1 Mile and Bushnell 1600s I tested were brand new, and had never been used in the field before my tests.

The post you referenced is actually just one of a series of posts I'm writing that cover the field test results, and here are links to the articles I've finished so far:

While performing the field tests I used each model to range 500 times on average … so I used them a lot. I also asked two of my close friends to use them, and I took notes on what we did or didn’t like about each of them. I'm transforming those notes and the test results for each model into a comprehensive review. I also took a bunch of high-res pictures of each model and plan to add those along with the review. So those will be coming out over the next month as well.

I'll try to remember to come back and update this thread as I get those other items published. Thanks again for adding the link, and I'm glad you found it helpful.

Last edited:
Nice review. I've heard various user complaints on the new Leica Geovid HD set. Specifically, that the ballistic curves are not matching up. Did you encounter any problems with this set of binos?

Unfortunately, I did not thoroughly test the ballistic features of all the models. However, I don't believe the original Leica Geovid HD has any ballistic features. The newer HD-B model does. It is the only one that allows you to do custom ballistic curves. Essentially Leica has some software that lets you enter ballistic data in just like you would in a JBM calculator, and then save that to a micro SD card and load it into the binoculars. All the other models are very limited, because they only allow you to load from 6-8 preset ballistic curves, which in my opinion is ridiculous for long-range shooting. However, I'm skeptical of even the Geovid HD-B's ballistic output, because it only allows you to use a G1 BC and I prefer to use a G7 because it more closely models the longer, boat-tailed bullets used in long-range shooting. Using a G1 BC instead of a G7 BC on my load would make me 1 MOA off at 1200 yards, and almost 2 MOA off at 1 mile. I know that isn't a big difference, but it would keep me from trusting the rangefinders ... so I'll probably just keep using my range card and/or my iPhone app. I talked to Leica reps about that at last year's SHOT show ... and plan to do it again this year. To me, that is a big drawback for serious (or probably more accurately, OCD) long-range shooters.

After all these field tests, I actually bought a pair of Leica HD-B's myself ... so you can probably expect a more detailed review of their ballistic features sometime in the near future. I just haven't had time to actually try it out much yet.

Nice review, Thanks for posting it.
I played with the Leica HD-B last week, love the ergo metrics of the body. Very tempted to sell my Swaro's and Leica 1600 and get it all in one with the HD-B. I wish it would give a Mil read out, that is my biggest draw back.

Being a happy owner of the 1600 ARC binos I must question the performance of the ones tested. I have had no problem ranging steel @ matches well beyond the ranges they were getting. Inc a full size sil @ over 950yd on a flat with sage brush all around, in front, & behind. I cleaned the stage so I must assume I ranged it correctly.

I had a leica 1200, and my buddy had the same... Went to a range and side by side his would do the 1000 target easy... Mine might get it 1 out of 7 scans...
I had a old bushy 1500 mono, that worked well to 1100 ish.... 1 day they shit the bed and wouldn't range past 200.... No idea why.. Sent them in, bushy said they must have been dropped and the laser was out of alignment, the farthest I could ever think of them falling would Be the seat of my small car 2 grassy ground where I hunt which would be maybe a 2 foot fall if that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I just published the overall results summary, which is kind of like the executive summary of the field tests. I know the detailed posts are pretty long-winded, so I thought some of you guys might just want to hit the highlights and that is what this post is for. Here is the link to it:

[size=+1]Rangefinder Binoculars Reviews & Field Tests: Overall Results Summary[/size]

I'll be posting detailed reviews of the individual models along with high-res photo galleries of each over the next couple of weeks. If you're interested you can sign up for emails of those to be sent to you as they're published. Just go to PrecisionRifleBlog.com and enter your email in the top-right corner under the "Follow via Email" heading. If you're on a mobile device, that box is towards the bottom of the page.

Thanks for all the feedback. This was A LOT of work. I was really just trying to serve the shooting community here (I still don't make a dime off this), so its very fulfilling hearing that you guys found it helpful.

Good to hear such positive results with the Terrapin - a buddy & I both bought Terrapins about 1-1/2yrs ago, and I'm still occasionally surprised at how good mine works. Only downside IMHO is they have only 5x magnification, as opposed to the 8x of the Swaro LG's that I'd been using. However, I still feel they were worth the price paid.

Great test based review, I was reading it last week.

After reading your review regarding resolving power & resolution of the Bushnell Fusions, one thing that may be worth noting is they can be very inconsistent unit to unit in terms of clarity.

I previously owned 2 sets of Fusion 1600s. The first unit was great in terms of resolution and fine detail resolving even with the slight blue tint because of the coating choice. Unfortunately the coatings & lenses on my first set got pretty scratched up by a well meaning friend who tried to clean them after he borrowed them and got them dirty. Bushnell replaced them under warranty. While the replacement unit was the equal of the original in the laser department the glass quality was noticeably worse in terms of resolution, fine details just didn't resolve as well as the first pair. No amount of focus or diopter tweaking made the image look as good as my initial set.

Now I have a pair of Fusion 1 miles; not only is the blue tint to the image gone (an artifact of the 1600s) the resolution on the 1 Miles is better than both pairs of 1600 Fusions I had. Laser performance is obviously better.

Leica does seem to be onto something with their new HD-Bs, I'll be watching those closely. Until then I'll stick with my Fusion 1 Miles and a Terrapin for those more distant or smaller objects.

Last edited:
Nice review. I've heard various user complaints on the new Leica Geovid HD set. Specifically, that the ballistic curves are not matching up. Did you encounter any problems with this set of binos?

I just received a pair of Leica HD-B 8X42's. I've only programed one SD card(105gr Hybrid@3100fps), but it came out spot on with my verified dope. Max range for the ballistic program is 1000 yards/920 meters. You have a choice of 100, 200, or 300 yards/meters zero range, as well as you can choose MOA, or MILS. I range in meters, and shoot in MILS and chose the 200 meter zero. After getting a range reading, your turret adjustment appears. Example: 665 meters/C 35, or 3.5 MILS.

I picked this up for backup to my Vector 21, and for backpack hunting in the mountains where I needed a lighter dual purpose bino/rangefinder. I'll be putting it to the test in a week on a black bear hunt here in Montana.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the unit. The glass is outstanding, it's very ergonomic, and so far, it has worked very good.

Dear Calz,,

It would have been Nice had you included the Swarovski EL Range 10x42. Can you kindly do a Review on this particular Rangefinder Binoculars too ?

Hi I'm new on here...really looking for feedback on the G7 BR2 rangefinder-is it worth the $$?? Does it perform the way they claim?? I want something that can range out to 1200ish yards. Couldn't find a review in any other threads.

thanks!

The ballistic computer and temperature/incline/barometer adjustment/compensation works exactly as described. The ranging is good, but about like everything in that range, the beam divergence is bigger than the terrapin. It will range to 1200, but it depends on the target. 12" plates at 1200? Probably not, but you can hit the tree next to the plate if that will work for you.

The terrapin I have now is a serious step up. The G7 ranged for me about like everything else - Bushnell 1600, swaro guide, etc.

The ballistic computer and temperature/incline/barometer adjustment/compensation works exactly as described. The ranging is good, but about like everything in that range, the beam divergence is bigger than the terrapin. It will range to 1200, but it depends on the target. 12" plates at 1200? Probably not, but you can hit the tree next to the plate if that will work for you.

The terrapin I have now is a serious step up. The G7 ranged for me about like everything else - Bushnell 1600, swaro guide, etc.

Thanks! So ranging a deer at 1000+ yards would be an issue? I like the idea of having all the ballisitics etc built in to save the time of punching it into another program for hunting scenarios but where I live you have to be able to shoot far. I did a quick search for Terrapin's and only found a few used ones available. How much was your's new and where did you buy it?? ...plus I'm from Canada and everything I found in Canada said it was out of stock for Terrapin's.

Deer might be OK, I only used mine on steel. The G7 is good, but the terrapin is in a class of it's own. I bought mine at Mile High. Since vectronix is discontinuing them they are getting tough to find new.

What no one seems to have grasped Regarding Bushnell's Ballistic program is that it does NOT offer 8 settings for different loads and If you Read the Manual you will see that there are 16 settings for modern Rifles and 2 for Muzzle Loaders. There are one set of 8 letters for Ranges up to 300yds/300mtrs and one set for Ranges for 500yds/500mtrs and above along with 19 Brands of Bullets containing over 1880 Bullet Types Which Gives you 33840 options to chose from, So if your Bullet pattern cant be matched up then something is seriously wrong.

I have spent a couple of hundred hours just entering their Numbers into apps and messing with the FPS and coriolis and spindrift and so far the Numbers I have got have been around +/- 0.02 TO 0.04 MOA and at worse it was out by 0.22MOA at 881yds which equals 0.210124", if shooting East then the App says 26.68moa and when shooting west it gave 27.11moa and when shooting North it gave a reading of 26.89 Baring in mind the Laser gave a reading of 27.1moa Also it works way beyond 800yds and the flatter the Rifle shoots the further it will give solutions.

One other thing that I have noticed is if I drop my load FPS by 28fps so it matches the factory loads it gives an MOA of 27.01moa= north and west =27.22 and east =26.79, So when the Laser was reading 27.1moa, So if you take the North reading and compare North @ 27.01 to East is [email protected] and West is [email protected] .

Now if you Look at what I have written in the above sentence that makes the Lasers readout (OUT) by 0.09moa at 881yds, that's 9/100ths of an MOA or 0.09423" on an inch.

So please don't let the fact of 8 Letters blind you into thinking its junk because those 8 Letters do a hell of a lot more than you think when really you have 16 x 1880+ options.
it is really better than what people think and those that don't like it is because it doesn't have a $2000 dollar price tag So it has to be Crap RIGHT,,,,"WRONG",

Ring and Calz you Guys have done well on this Thread well done and Thanks.

John

Can anyone comment on the performance or differences between same brands and technologies just in monocular vs binocular form?

ie, how does these compare?

Zeiss Victory RF binos vs Victory PRF mono rangefinder
and
Bushnell Fusion 1 Mile ARC vs Elite 1 Mile ARC

Etc? Is there an advantage in that the monos are dedicated purpose and can have optics specifically designed to only range find? Or do the binos get an advantage that despite being dual-purpose are larger? The review is mostly rangefinding binocs and I'm wondering how well the results can be compared to mono-units.

Wished the Steiner 8x30 had been reviewed. I am leaning towards those based on what I have read here on the hide but quantitative test data always helps

BR,
I would like to see a quality review of the Steiners as well. The Leica's HD-B advertise 2000 yard ranging and have great glass and I'd like to see how the Steiners stack up to them. Buying one or other.