• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Reamer with freebore cut vs throating

18Echo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
Jun 12, 2007
Maricopa Co., AZ
This is probably a stupid question, but I googled and didn’t find a glaring answer that slapped me in the face…

I had a pre-fit in 30-06 spun up for me. The data sheet that came with the barrel said the freebore was 0 and the throat was .221.

Does that mean the reamer had zero freebore, and after the chamber was cut a throat reamer was used to cut an additional .221? Does that mean my freebore is .221? What is throat Vs freebore?

Additional info:
Reamer - Clymer 555023
Pilot - .2998”
Neck - 340-341”
Gauge - Forster 2.0487”

A lay explanation would be awesome, I was planning to shoot 175-180 gr bullets in this, am I still good?

Thank you for the time.

Standard 30/06 reamer doesn’t have a parallel freebore, just a leade. They taper to the bore diameter from the end of the neck ‘chamfer’. I’m not near a print now, but I suspect the throat dimension you’ve got is correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Cross
So if I’m reading this right, the chamber stops where the case neck ends, and then a taper is cut at an angle until you reach a point a distance down the barrel where the bullet will eventually engage the lands?

@18Echo

No freebore...just the leade that tapers to the bore.

Edit: this is the SAAMI chamber drawing. At .3404 is the end of the "neck" if you will. Then there is a slight step up (common on all chambers I'm familiar with and what @Rubicon Precision called the "neck chamfer") which is clear and runs to .3106" Then you you can see the leade. Not to be patronizing, but "throat" is generally made up of freebore and leade...in the case of 30-06, its just the leade part. Cool?

1722658463493.png

Last edited:
So if I’m reading this right, the chamber stops where the case neck ends, and then a taper is cut at an angle until you reach a point a distance down the barrel where the bullet will eventually engage the lands?
Freebore and leade (throat) is usually part of the reamer. At least, all the reamers that I have seen and have prints for.