• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

What about bore guides, are there any specific for the rpr? What are people using?

Brownells/Sinclair. Specific to the 6.5 CM RPR for $20.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-clean...5-creedmoor-850-bolt-diameter-prod105112.aspx

1522688082274.png

Reactions: trob_205
I thought about getting a Bob Sled, but decided on a 5 round single stack PMAG, which not only allows loading single rounds but is also longer capacity allowing for loading longer cartridges that just won't fit into the Ruger mags.

I havnt played single shot with my RPR yet. With my 700 w/ AICS chassis I just used an empty mag for single shot (I’ve used Factory AI and AICS Pmags). Is the RPR harder on ammo than the rest?

I’m going to take mine out today and try out a variety of mags for reliable function as I’ve only played with the supplied mags. I’m trying out a 5 round accurate mag, 5 and 10 round AICS Pmags, 5 and 10 rounds AI AICS mags, and the 10 round SR25/M110 Pmags. I’m not a fan of the SR mags locking the bolt open on empty mag. Hopefully I can get my hands on factory Ruger AI pattern mag to play with and shake out here shortly too.

I believe the Magpul Pmag AICS pattern magazine allows you to close the bolt on the RPR when empty. You can buy one of them instead, insert it, and then single feed. Seems like this way you'll at least get a magazine out of it!

I believe the Magpul Pmag AICS pattern magazine allows you to close the bolt on the RPR when empty. You can buy one of them instead, insert it, and then single feed. Seems like this way you'll at least get a magazine out of it!

Yup, that's the one I was referring to. I comes in 5 and 10 round configuration. I chose the 5 round since I mostly use it to single feed due to the length of my cartridges as I load to close to the lands.

https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-10-762-ac

MAG579_BLK_1.png

Reactions: Bulldog10
All mags performed well except for a couple at the very end with the magpul AICS 10 that didn’t wanna grab the next round from the mag. I chalked it up to short stroking because I very consciously brought it all the way back and forward with no issue on the next round. I was at the end and in a hurry to get back home, but I marked the mag for future reference. Shoot 100 rounds of 140 eld match ammo. It was my first time shooting this particular rifle and I was extremely pleased with this barrel accuracy wise. I burned through some ammo pretty quick just go see if I could heat the barrel up and make it walk any. No such issues with this barrel. I’ll see if I can get some calipers on the paper and post some of the better groups here in a bit.

Reactions: Bender
For what it’s worth, you can take a dremel and grind down the corner of the bolt stop in the mag in about 20 seconds. No more bolt stop and nice and smooth. I’ve done it to all my mags for this rifle, with exception to the bob sled of course

Use an AC type Magpul magazine, allows single loading through the port, won't hold the bolt open and presents the cartridge exactly as if it was loading from the magazine. Why not use only one device that will load cartridges or act as a port loading "BOB SLED"? K.I.S.S. is a good thing...

I had to buy another product regardless. The only benefit to getting the AC type mag from Magpul, is I would get another magazine. But I decided I did not need another magazine. The Bob Sled serviced my needs at or about the cost of another magazine.

Reactions: Terry H
For what it’s worth, you can take a dremel and grind down the corner of the bolt stop in the mag in about 20 seconds. No more bolt stop and nice and smooth. I’ve done it to all my mags for this rifle, with exception to the bob sled of course

Do you have any pics of that mod? I've been wondering if I could do that and would like to see what it looks like so I have an idea of what to do on mine.

So... that "zipper" sound that the bolt makes when cycling. Is it worth honing the action to reduce the noise, or just let natural cycling of the bolt smooth the ridges left by the machining process?

Shes done. Time to shoot.

6.5CM LRI Match Barrel
SLR Ion Lite Handgaurd
XLR Tactical Stock
Geissele Super Precision Mount
Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42 F1, Mil- C reticle
Atlas Bipod
Larue Grip
Factory bolt was fluted and micro slicked

I had that same stock on my AR15. Loved it. Should’ve never gotten rid of that thing. Sweet looking rig

So... that "zipper" sound that the bolt makes when cycling. Is it worth honing the action to reduce the noise, or just let natural cycling of the bolt smooth the ridges left by the machining process?
The zipper sound is coming from the bolt catch rubbing in the grove milled in the bolt. Some folks have polished this area (or the entire bolt). Honing the action won't stop it. I had my bolt "Micro-Slicked" and the sound went away. Micro-slick is a heat cured coating (https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/C-110Q/micro-slick-dry-film-coating/). Folks charge around $30 - $40 to apply it to your bolt.

Do you have any pics of that mod? I've been wondering if I could do that and would like to see what it looks like so I have an idea of what to do on mine.

So here’s a couple pics of that quick mag mod to get rid of the bolt stop on empty. As you can see that corner is just ground down a little. It really doesn’t take much.
747F3ED8-7414-4345-8B9B-20C180DE800C.jpeg
4748E4F3-FC81-480C-89CF-20596B6F99E7.jpeg

Picked up my "GEN 3" RPR today, the new changes are very noticeable, the Trigger is very crisp at 3Lbs The Ambi Safety is a welcome addition, and the new Mlok Handgaurd is very rigid an aesthetically pleasing. The nitrided bolt is buttery smooth and there is no more zipper effect. The stock can be a PITA, but once adjustable properly it's very comfortable.

I shot 12 Rounds of Hornady 140 Amax this evening, just Zero my Scope, all grouped at around 1/2 MOA or better. I have six different types of store-bought ammo to try out and will do a proper range report once I've tested them all.

My only complaint is the trigger is too heavy for my liking, I will be replacing it with the timney trigger tomorrow other than that I see no reason to change/Upgrade anything out at this time.

Last edited:
Picked up my "GEN 3" RPR today, the new changes are very noticeable, the Trigger is very crisp at 3Lbs The Ambi Safety is a welcome addition, and the new Mlok Handgaurd is very rigid an aesthetically pleasing. The nitrided bolt is buttery smooth and there is no more zipper effect. The stock can be a PITA, but once adjustable properly it's very comfortable.

I shot 12 Rounds of Hornady 140 Amax this evening, just Zero my Scope, all grouped at around 1/2 MOA or better. I have six different types of store-bought ammo to try out and will do a proper range report once I've tested them all.

My only complaint is the trigger is too heavy for my liking, I will be replacing it with the timney trigger tomorrow other than that I see no reason to change/Upgrade anything out at this time.
You had a Gen 2 before? Is the bolt smooth like a Tikka? The trigger is 2 stage? Thanks.

The trigger is adjustable. The wrench is in the bolt shroud.

^ They have a few different finishes too. Very nice. Since I’m lefty (obviously), I plan on getting one as I haven’t bothered to flip my safety to the other side yet anyway. Then if anyone else shoots my rifle, they’ll have a right hand safety

I’m almost positive anyone will work as long as it’s a 45 degree throw safety. I know for a fact the seeking precision one works and it’s not even advertised as an RPR safety.

The Seekins really works? Do they have a 45 degree? I only find theirs in 60 and 90

Edit: I guess they do. I’m seeing multiple pics online of them on an RPR. Nobody saying whether they got the 60 or 90 though

The Ruger website says "May be configured with any AR-style grip and selector." I was just wondering since I have a regular ambidextrous safety laying around that I haven't gotten around to putting in one of my AR15s.

The Seekins really works? Do they have a 45 degree? I only find theirs in 60 and 90

Edit: I guess they do. I’m seeing multiple pics online of them on an RPR. Nobody saying whether they got the 60 or 90 though
I actually just called Ruger and they can’t even tell you whether it’s a 45 or a 60. I only said 45 cause that’s what it looks like but it could actually be 60. I know for fact that seekins 60 works. I use it. The safety on the RPr from the factory is the same one that is in the SR556 if that means anything.

I actually just called Ruger and they can’t even tell you whether it’s a 45 or a 60. I only said 45 cause that’s what it looks like but it could actually be 60. I know for fact that seekins 60 works. I use it. The safety on the RPr from the factory is the same one that is in the SR556 if that means anything.

The SR556 uses a 90 degree safety

ETA: I wonder if that means the 90 degree safety would work. Looks like I'll be making time for a little experiment in the near future...

The SR556 uses a 90 degree safety

ETA: I wonder if that means the 90 degree safety would work. Looks like I'll be making time for a little experiment in the near future...
It probably will. That is most likely why there is the diamond hard stop. You can use any safety. Just a guess.
7DDD025A-FBE9-4A8F-B19D-78C2CAA78AB5.jpeg

This is a factory safety on my 308 RPR. I have the seekins on my 6.5 which is a pile of parts in my bench at the moment.

Reactions: britneymadz
Yes mine is WAY tighter fitting than the factory one

Did you go from the Ruger aluminum or plastic shroud? Cuz I watch some YouTube videos last night and looks like they're just cosmetic they really don't do shit for you.

The titanium bolt shroud that's out with the metal bolt disassembly tool seems to be the best out there right now

Did you go from the Ruger aluminum or plastic shroud? Cuz I watch some YouTube videos last night and looks like they're just cosmetic they really don't do shit for you.

The titanium bolt shroud that's out with the metal bolt disassembly tool seems to be the best out there right now
I replaced the gen 2 factory alum shroud. Factory shroud was a slop fest.

I looked at the TI ones from anarchy outdoors but decided to stick with the LRI. If you feel the onboard tool is necessary then that’s ptetty much your only option other than an alum one with tool from same company.

I believe the only hand guard change between the Gen 2 and Gen 3 is the change from key-mod to m-lok. Otherwise aren't they the same?

The big hand guard change, where they changed the way it attached and dropped the top pic rail, occurred between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 RPR models.