Night Vision Safran TAD

An interesting observation I learned about the PAS 29 Coti is that in Outline White mode it will penetrate deeper into thick cover and tell you something alive is in there better than a powerful 640 unit. You wont necessarily have a clue what it is, but further investingation will yeild some kind of live critter. That is of value to me.

That is amazing to me and proves that the Outline White mode algorithm was uniquely written such that it will do that. Kudos to Software Engineers back around 2007ish.

I run handheld and helmet mounted Thermal Scanners and they do great, but having a correctly set COTI always working through your NV 24/7 will make sure you don't miss anything out there. Having both is the optimum way.

My understanding is that they simplified the E-COTI menus over the COTI because the average grunt being issued one didn’t have the interest or wherewithal to be fucking with all the gain settings especially multiple times throughout the night. Would be easy to accidentally screw up and set the gain so wrong that the device wouldn’t detect appropriately in a given environment. Perhaps it reduced the ability of a sophisticated user to fine-tune it perfectly to their use case, but the military probably doesn’t care about that.

My understanding is that they simplified the E-COTI menus over the COTI because the average grunt being issued one didn’t have the interest or wherewithal to be fucking with all the gain settings especially multiple times throughout the night. Would be easy to accidentally screw up and set the gain so wrong that the device wouldn’t detect appropriately in a given environment. Perhaps it reduced the ability of a sophisticated user to fine-tune it perfectly to their use case, but the military probably doesn’t care about that.
You likely are correct.

So learn your equipment well or let natural selection rules apply. Staying Alive is important. :)

Really? I got the impression the TAD is aimed purely at the commercial market, hence the no ITAR feature.
I was talking about the COTI vs ECOTI. I’m not totally certain why they would even further simplify the TAD menus other than 1) noting that Civs still probably aren’t the intended market for these, probably more LE/SAR and 2) perhaps they have tweaked the software sufficiently that they felt certain ECOTI settings were no longer required.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
I was talking about the COTI vs ECOTI. I’m not totally certain why they would even further simplify the TAD menus other than 1) noting that Civs still probably aren’t the intended market for these, probably more LE/SAR and 2) perhaps they have tweaked the software sufficiently that they felt certain ECOTI settings were no longer required.
That makes sense.

Maybe those are actually DEI settings. :LOL: Gotta simplify things for the simple minded so they can be equitably included regardless of how you weaken the results. :LOL: Lord knows some of them dont even know how to reholster their pistol correctly. :oops:

My TAD just showed up today. I likely won’t have time to mess with it for awhile, so my observations will have to wait.

Somewhat related: does anyone have recommendations on a helmet pouch for a USB battery pack? The 2.75” x 1.25” x 5.5” dimensions of the TNVC Mk1 Mohawk I ordered:

… doesn’t fit the 3.07” x 1.02” x 4.49” dimensions of the Voltaic V50 battery pack I got to power the TAD (and my DTNVS):

*Edited to add:

Dimensions of the battery pack with cables connected and routed is 3.52" x 1.02" x 5.23"

Last edited:
My TAD just showed up today. I likely won’t have time to mess with it for awhile, so my observations will have to wait.

Somewhat related: does anyone have recommendations on a helmet pouch for a USB battery pack? The 2.75” x 1.25” x 5.5” dimensions of the TNVC Mk1 Mohawk I ordered:

… doesn’t fit the 3.07” x 1.02” x 4.49” dimensions of the Voltaic V50 battery pack I got to power the TAD (and my DTNVS):

So I run the Nitecore NPB2 10,000mAh Waterproof Power Bank. Link below with dimensions so you can compare to your battery size. It fits in both of these pouches listed below. Both pouches are of good quality. This battery is what I power my Pas 29 COTI's with.

Nitecore NPB2 10,000mAh Waterproof Power Bank

Reactions: ardrummer292
So I run the Nitecore NPB2 10,000mAh Waterproof Power Bank. Link below with dimensions so you can compare to your battery size. It fits in both of these pouches listed below. Both pouches are of good quality. This battery is what I power my Pas 29 COTI's with.

I re-checked my battery pack dimensions with the cables installed; it doesn't look like either of those options will work. The search continues...

*Edited to add:

Dimensions of the battery pack with cables connected and routed is 3.52" x 1.02" x 5.23"

Reactions: WhereNow&How
I've noted another quirk with mine, as well. Sometimes it won't turn on unless I remove/replace the battery cap. I have asked Optics 1 about this and will update with their response.

This was happening to mine and I believe it was a mount issue, does yours fully and securely lock into the mount ring? Apparently there is a magnet system that detects whether it is fully seated and it will prevent the unit from powering on if it isn’t properly mounted.

This was happening to mine and I believe it was a mount issue, does yours fully and securely lock into the mount ring? Apparently there is a magnet system that detects whether it is fully seated and it will prevent the unit from powering on if it isn’t properly mounted.
Yes. Also, I clipped and unclipped it. It did not turn on. I uncapped and recapped the battery, and this fixed it. I then removed it from the mount, on, and it moved about 1/2 a cm before cutting off. Very tolerant of not being fully seated.

For those that are interested, I have the cap built for the USB power cable, thanks to adrummer292 for the loan of his unit. I sent a note to Preston to see if SOK wants to carry these along with the original CUBA, if he does, they will be exclusive through them. If you already have a CUBA with the Lemo cable/battery adapter, the cap can be retrofit easily.