• 12 Hours Left: Use code HIDE40 to get 40% off subscriptions

You've got until midnight to get 40% off. Pick your plan below!

Subscribe

Should I be worried about this? 700 bolt peened

mattra

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
Just got a new Remington 700 AAC (the one that comes with the brakeout already attached) from BudsGunShop. The edge on one of the lugs of the bolt has what looks to be a slight peened area. Not sure if this is something to even worry about other than a cosmetic annoyance. Here is a crappy cell phone pic, that although blurry, sort of shows what I am talking about. The action seems to cycle fine. It seems like the tolerances are loose enough so that the raised edge of the peened area doesn't drag enough to notice.

Just figured I would post this and solicit opinions.

th_1ee0be6f.jpg

Re: Should I be worried about this? 700 bolt peened

The arrow might not be that clear, but it is on the side of the lug, almost on the face, but not quite. Some of the metal deformed on the face ever so slightly, but it is mostly of the corner side if that makes sense.

I wouldn't consider it a problem unless you can feel it as it passes through the internal lugs (no problem, just dress it down), or if when you dry fire it and you can't get any fore and aft movement of the bolt body,(bolt lug up against the barrel). To me, either would be an easy fix.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldfatguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The back of the lug takes the pressure when the rifle is fired so as long as the bolt cycles OK you have nothing the worry about.

OFG </div></div>

That's what I was hoping to hear. I didn't anticipate getting a perfect rifle (it is a factory rifle after all) but when I noticed that, I was a bit concerned. I figured that might not be a good thing to have a portion of the lug deformed in that manner but I couldn't really come up with a good reason as to why other than maybe cosmetics and binding (which is doesn't).

I wondered if these bolts just bounce around in a big tub of bolts and damage each other occasionally - or maybe someone at Remington just dropped it late on a Fri afternoon.