• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Member Link Up SHWW Group

Re: SHWW Group

Some use a 1-9" but I would try it in my 1-10"...for me though the 180gr's are working just fine...actually thinking on going the other direction on powder use....probably not selling the 300WM just building another rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAFAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow guys that really is alot to digest.

Since Ranger asked the is what I am looking for:
I am on a limited budget with kids in college so I need to work with what I have.

I have Two Remington short actions to Choose from for a conversion.
One is a VTR in 308 (has the wierd triangular barrel, which is sitting in a HS Precision Remington LTR stock rather (light)
The second is an is a 300 wsm hunting rifle. This is the one I thought about turning into the 7mm wsm and sticking into the Mcrees stock that I have

Additionally I have my Remington PSS in 308 that I would like to leave as is (save for a replacemnt barrel when the day comes.

I realize that I am probably looking at having to modify two rifles to do what I want however:

What I am looking for first is a non barrel burning caliber with available brass that shoots flatter preferably with less reoil than the 308. this is so I can bang away all day without my shoulder acting up and also so my daughter can shoot it a little more comfortably.

I would like the platform to be a more field manageable than than the pss was in the Mcree stock so that I can shoot the off hand positions better in the tactical matches(thats why I am looking at something like the 260 that can be popped into the LTR stock).

I would like to be able to go to 1 k or maybe streched to our new ranges 1150.

Hopefully this helps. so far I am relizing that what I probably need to do is turn the 300 wsm into a 7mm wsm and pop it into the Mcree as a long range heavy that I only shoot a little bit prone and for the matches a 260 into my LTR Stock.

SO there you go , OK Guys rip me a new one on my thinking process </div></div>

"What I am looking for first is:

1. a non barrel burning caliber

2. with available brass

3. that shoots flatter

4. preferably with less recoil than the 308.

5. this is so I can bang away all day without my shoulder acting up and also so my daughter can shoot it a little more comfortably.

6. I would like the platform to be a more field manageable than than the pss was in the Mcree stock so that I can shoot the off hand positions better in the tactical matches (thats why I am looking at something like the 260 that can be popped into the LTR stock).

7. I would like to be able to go to 1 k or maybe streched to our new ranges 1150.

8. Hopefully this helps. so far I am relizing that what I probably need to do is turn the 300 wsm into a 7mm wsm and pop it into the Mcree as a long range heavy that I only shoot a little bit prone

9. and for the matches a 260 into my LTR Stock."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

regarding your ideal rifle characteristics listed above, and referencing 260 remington to these, here is what I can come up with.

1. a non barrel burning caliber: Yes, relatively speaking the 260 remington is not a flame-thrower like the .243 Winchester so you can expect to get +2500 rounds out of a good barrel before accuracy drops off and you need to set the barrel back.

So thats a good check mark here.

2. with available brass: .260 Remington brass is widely available straight from the factory, plus it can also be made very easily by necking down 7mm-08 brass and .308 brass as well as necking up .243 brass.

3. that shoots flatter (than the .308): yes, the .260 Remington does fit the bill in spades regarding flatter shooting than a .308.

4. preferably with less recoil than the 308: yes, the .260 Remington does fit the bill in spades regarding shooting with less recoil than a .308.

5. this is so I can bang away all day without my shoulder acting up and also so my daughter can shoot it a little more comfortably: yes, the .260 Remington does fit the bill in spades regarding shooting much longer and with more comfort than a .308.

ISSUE TAKEN OUT OF ORDER ON PURPOSE!

7. I would like to be able to go to 1 k or maybe streched to our new ranges 1150: yes, the .260 Remington does fit the bill. It is an excellent 1000 yard shooter than can easily be loaded for shooting 1150 yards without overpressure issues or barrel burning issues. This is done by using bullets with significantly higher Ballastic Co-efficients than the 168 gr and the 175 grain SMK's.

Now we get to these two requirements:

9. and for the matches a 260 into my LTR Stock (as in "light weight" stock?).

6. I would like the platform to be a more field manageable than than the pss was in the Mcree stock so that I can shoot the off hand positions better in the tactical matches (thats why I am looking at something like the 260 that can be popped into the LTR stock):

Ok, this is do-able, but you have to make a choice and the laws of physics are pretty clear cut: F = M x A

Translated that means "Force equals Mass times Acceleration". For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Yes, a .260 Remington shooting a 139 to 142 grain projectile will kick less than a .308 Winchester shooting a 175 grain projectile. However, the recoil is NOT so much less that you will suddenly be able to shoot all day or that it is so tame that your daughter will enjoy shooting it. Therefore, you have to decide on one of two remedies or a combination of them both.

*The quick and easy answer is to get a very efficient muzzle brake and put it on the barrel contour you choose for this new build. You have to pick as efficient a muzzle brake as you can find so it really does dampen the recoil and not just looks cool.

If you go this route, be prepared to have other shooters not liking to shoot next to you as much as they once did.

On the plus side, this will keep you rifle weight down for competition use. On the negative side, the thinner barrel will NOT be able to dissipate the heat from constant and faster shooting as well, so your barrel won't last as long.

**The other (better) option is to use a heavier barrel contour. Because for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction means that a heavier contour barrel will keep the rifle from recoiling as much, it will also dissipate heat better and it will indeed make the rifle MORE ACCURATE compared to the thinner barrel.

But now you have a heavier rifle to lug around.

So, what would I do?

Put a hard and fast number to the MAXIMUM weight you are willing to tolerate the completed rifle system to be when you're lugging it around and subtract from that number ALL of the accessories you are going to put on it.

for example, lets say 15 pounds is the maximum weight you want this build to be. The local post office sells digital scales the can weigh up to ten pounds accurately so I'd go get one of those if you need an accurate scale.

Weigh your scope, your rings, the base, action and trigger, the bipod, sling, LOADED magazine, the stock and everything I haven't covered already that you want on your rifle on the scale. How much do they weigh?

Subtract that number from the end weight you want this rifle to be and that leftover number will be how much your barrel can weigh.

From my experience, I know that a 20 inch .260 remington barrel will shoot the distances you want to shoot. A short but STOUT (as in fatter and less flexible) barrel will give you better long range accuracy than a longer, thinner and thus more flexible barrel.

So in your case, I'd start with a 20 inch barrel and see how much longer I could make the barrel WHILE MAINTAINING THAT THICK BARREL CONTOUR before I reached my max weight limit.

If you decide to put a US Optics scope on this rifle you are going to eat up a lot of weight right there. Try to find a lighter scope of the qualities and features you want and use that scope instead.

Rings: Nightforce makes some EXCELLENT light weight rings. Light weight, yet still very durable.

Every ounce counts in this matter, but do NOT sacrifice quality for lightness. If you do so, you might regret it come competition time.

If I could build my .260 again, I would still have the 26 inch barrel on it that I originally had.

Terry Cross (God of all Good things 6.5mm) uses a #14 Krieger "Heavy Palma" contour barrel that he has cut short at 26 inches. He wins and has won National Competitions for years. That barrel weighs between 6 and 6.5 pounds. He can afford to throw away barrels at the drop of the hat.

I can't. Hence, I would buy a Krieger "Light Varmint" contour barrel that weighs just the same as the "Heavy Palma" barrel weighs. Like Terry, I would also cut this barrel short at 26 inches (or maybe even as short as 24 inches".

Krieger Barrel Contours

The big difference between these barrels is that the Palma barrel has 2.5 inches of straight shank at the breach end and when setting a barrel back to get more life out of the rifling, you only have that 2.5 inches to play with.

The Light Varmint barrel has 5 inches of straight shank at the breach end and when setting a barrel back you have twice the amount of straight shank to work with. Burn up 1, 2 or 3 inches of the breach end of the barrel? No problem! Drive down to your local gunsmith and have him hack the end, re-thread and re-chamber the barrel and you are up and running again! And you're getting a heck of a lot more barrel life and paying a whole lot less for it.

Yes, I really have done this in real life and Tribe is a witness to it! I burned 3 inches of rifling out of my barrel and after the gunsmith set the barrel back, it shot perfectly fine with thousands of rounds worth of barrel left! Real life, no kidding!

I hope this helps.

FWIW, get a 1:8 twist so regardless of how short the barrel is, it will still be long enough to stabilize the longest of the 6.5mm bullets.

Questions?

Uhhhh.... could you repeat that?
whistle.gif

Jeeez dude... you better go take a nap now or something.
laugh.gif

Hey SANDRAT.... welcome aboard man! Sorry bro... the closest range I can think of to S. Everett would be Kenmore... and I'm not even familiar with that... hopefully someone will chime in, and help ya' out....

Oh... and BTW #2... Big Joe... Forgot to tell you that I got my T's! They're frickin' great! Thanks for putting ALL of that together... pretty dern cool in my book... Only problem is, The Kid is asking if they're cool to wear to school (grade school)!
wink.gif

Ranger I feel very close to you right now! Only kidding. Thank you very much for taking the time to put all that down it has really helped alot.
I have been shooting for years but I have never built a custom rifle so having all of this information is priceless

Joe, Are there any plans for another trip out to the clearing after labor day but before bear season?

Ok I took the first step.
I did things a little different than ranger recomended because I wnat to have the option of using this action in a couple of differant remington stocks(until I decide which I want to settle on)
I ordered a Krieger 1:8, 24 inch long ,6.5 mm barrel in a Remington varmint countour.
I should be about the same wieght as my PSS so it will still be somewhat portable.

Re: Kenmore

I live right near the Kenmore range and have gone there a couple of times.

You will only able to shoot 100 at Kenmore unless you are a member -- they are also super restrictive (at least on the public range). I believe they make you single-load rounds, and I very much doubt they will let you shoot from anywhere but off of the bench.

Despite its proximity, I rarely go there because of that. I'll probably pony up for membership someday, as I believe they have out to 300M for members, with bays set up for position shooting.

I forgot bear season opened that early! I'd still be game to get together at DSM's spot...

Have my IOR back from warranty, and now have a DBM! (very excited about this -- my prior blind box mag setup was completely unreliable).

Gratuitous pic:
DSC_4433.jpg

(PS, yes, I know my ring location is "cute" -- got tired of having to scrunch to get a good sight picture. Talked to Glen Seekins about an extended base, but he basically said that due to the bolt, you can't do it without it being really high and funky lookin'. This should work, as long as I don't subject it to the NOBODY break-in method. Long term solution is a Heritage... but need to save my pennies for that.)

-Matt

MattJ

What about the EGW like Longeyes had?

To all:

The area is very popular untill the very end of December....Bear now untill Noov 15th...then Elk Rifle and then I belive late archery for Deer and Elk are open in that unit. Even if not directly open there the game wardens will still be patroling as there is seasons still open. And if you really want to have a bad day...piss of a Game Warden.....no need for a search...just because he feels like it....they have almost as much power as Border Patrol out in the woods.

But like blackwidow said we are always able to use the range we went to the first time. 400 yards for paper or steel and 660 yards also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MattJ
What about the EGW like Longeyes had?
</div></div>

Looked into it, but doesn't look like they have an equivalent Savage base (he has a Remi). From talking to Glen, it sounds like the particulars of the action/bolt on the Savages make it pretty hard to accomplish a rear extended base without adding a ton of height.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But like blackwidow said we are always able to use the range we went to the first time. 400 yards for paper or steel and 660 yards also.
</div></div>

Lets do it!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longeyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He's got a point Matt, the EGW extended base works good with the IOR scope</div></div>

I know! I looked, but they don't make the extended-to-the-rear version for the Savage. They have an F-Class base that extends and extra 3" to the front, but not one that extends to the rear. After talking to Glen (and looking at the action), I think it is because it would have to be really tall and funny-lookin' to not get in the way of the bolt.
frown.gif

You might have already but have you tried Ken Farrel? Makes some odd ball shit?

http://www.kenfarrell.com/

Looking for powder right now but when would work good for everybody? I know Tribe is wussing out to go play his Checkers or whatever Fall sport he plays!!! But if we set it out far enough most should be able to make it....possibly if things cool off and we get some rain we can set a date for Longeye's place?

You set a time and place there Longeyes!!

Thanks Ranger but I should have enough to get me through hnting season....and since we are basicly on hold untill it is over I should be ok!!! Powder Valley should be recieving it pretty soon...then I will be offering it to those in need!

Anyone still meeting up for a shoot? I'm up here in Arlington and a member of the Marysville Rifle Club. Wanted to find a place with more distance than 200 yards at my range.

Anything going on this weekend?

As far as I know Tribe is the only sissy that actually cares about being involved with his family....so if he can give us a weekend then all are welcome to come out west anytime... more than likely CSAR it will be at the private no fees range out here but it has 400 from a bench and 660 from field conditions....Blackwidow and I are always game and if people want to come out even if it isn't a group thing anytime is a good time.....if there are any bow hunters out there you are welcome to come out with me in September...I will shoot a doe without question so you can too....people always crying about shooting a girl....F it meat is meat!!!

Powder Valley called today and the RL22 is on it's way...I got 10lbs so if someone is in need let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will shoot a doe without question </div></div>

...ummm, just to clarify.... "shooting" and "shooting at" are two different things....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longeyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lets bug Erron and see if he has any good news on the E-burg area </div></div>

Yeah, bug Erron... I could probably swing a Sunday or two in the near future, if anyone has any bright ideas....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longeyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lets bug Erron and see if he has any good news on the E-burg area </div></div>

Yeah, bug Erron... I could probably swing a Sunday or two in the near future, if anyone has any bright ideas.... </div></div>

Did you get your PR yet?

Sorry I didn't call you back Blackwidow...what's up?

I got my powder finally and just need to pick my bolts back up from the smith...shortened the handle on my WSM and I ended up just OD green on my WSM stock...MCM has my A3 still and the 300WM has no scope now....so I have the powder/primers/bullets for both just no ability to shoot the 300WM but the WSM is a few days out!!!

Anyone into a mid-range shoot?

Sorry fellas... football season takes a big bite out of my shooting time... and this frickin' obamanomics is putting a serious damper on my shooting budget.
sick.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry fellas... football season takes a big bite out of my shooting time... and this frickin' obamanomics is putting a serious damper on my shooting budget.
sick.gif
</div></div>

Try these. They might make you feel better ...

BarackObamaToiletPaper1.jpg

BarackObamaToiletPaper2.JPG

grin.gif

You mean the target is actually supposed to farther away than that?
I guess I wont be able to use the pistol berm any more. Darn-- I thought I was doing so good too. I'll try again in the the big boys play ground next time.
Yea that's the 06 and mil-surp brass, I'm pretty happy with the results. Got 2885fps using 57gr of IMR 4350 pushing 178gr AMAX

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your part moving the target back from 25 yards????
laugh.gif

Looks GTG...that's the 30-06 with the Mil-Surp brass? </div></div>
laugh.gif

Nice shooting longeyes...

Thanks Tribe,
Hey Guys, on another note, I was approached at the range today and asked to step up to the plate and head up the LR type stuff at the club, they are looking at re-opening the 1000 yd berm, as well as putting on some F class stuff and possibly a run-what-you-brung LR.
Would there be enough interest to put forth the effort?

I was about to say it is far enough down there for me that membership probably wouldn't be worth it for me (but that maybe I'd come play at some comps if open to non members)...

...but then I saw the incredibly reasonable yearly membership fee. The lure of a 1k range would almost certainly entice me to join and make the drive now and then, assuming that it isn't too difficult to get permission to use steel:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">11. Metal targets are prohibited without prior approval by the Range Officer.</div></div>

I'd still keep my CRPC membership though
smile.gif