• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes SOCOM II Scope Mount Pics?

jatienza

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2010
Grand Junction, CO
Here's a few pics of my SOCOM II. I was thinking about adding a scope to this rifle and I have to tell you I can't decide which type of scope to put on it.

I want to be able to shoot out to 200 yards with the rifle/scope without it being an anchor.

Any suggestions? If you have pics of your setup, I would love to see them.

This setup makes for a great hog gun at night, but it's a tad front heavy:

SOCOMII-1.jpg

I would like to add a scope for this setup:

SocomPatio-1.jpg

socomactionII.jpg

Re: SOCOM II Scope Pics?

I like the Aimpoint and the Eotech, but everyone does that.

I have a Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5x20mm MR/T M2 WITH LaRue Tactical SPR QD Mount coming in the mail. I could use the Leupold Mark 4, if I could figure out how to mount it to the SOCOM II.

Any suggestions out there?

Quote by edgewater"

"Drop it into a Troy MCS and you can mount anything you want."

I can always count on you to come up with the correct answer, but your answers are always expensive.

Do you know who makes the best mount that spans the ejection port?

I want a mount like this one, but for the SOCOM II:

2006cust01.jpg

I am lookin for a mount similar to this one (Springfield Armory 3rd Generation Weaver-Style Scope Mount M1A Matte), but for a SOCOM II:
273796.jpg

Sadlak, Smith, ARMS, and Springfield all make the mount your looking for. Personally I would recomend Smith or Sadlak, great kit, well made, and even better customer service. You can also check out larue's LT 608, its not on the website, but it will work with the Vltor similarly like the SAGE. The SOCOM's are fun but not exactly precision machines, you will be wasting glass on it. I have never gotten mine below an 1.5 moa, and I have tried pretty much every load I could think of with it, but it is fun as hell inside 300 yards.

Sadlak

Smith

18]ARMS

Thanks Witch Doctor,

Your response is excellent. I checked out the scope mounts.

"SOCOM's are fun but not exactly precision machines, you will be wasting glass on it."

You are probably correct. I have become weary from trying to force a scope on this rifle. I think I will trade it for a nice spotting scope.

Thanks for your help!

If your SOCOM does not shoot well, pull the flash hider off and check to see of the crown is square. Some were not, and shot much better after being recrowned. I shot two of them which were 6" guns at 100 yds, prior to learning about the crown issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jatienza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Witch Doctor,

Your response is excellent. I checked out the scope mounts.

"SOCOM's are fun but not exactly precision machines, you will be wasting glass on it."

You are probably correct. I have become weary from trying to force a scope on this rifle. I think I will trade it for a nice spotting scope.

Thanks for your help! </div></div>

M1A's are a blast to shoot, but if the precision bug has you, as I suspect it does being here, you are better off with a SAI NM, LRB, or Smith rifle. They can shoot well, but need some tweaking. PM H2O Man, he's got the drop on the M1A's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jatienza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ejd049,

I really like your setup with the Eotech and the multiplier. The multiplier really balances out the rifle. What mount did you use for the multiplier? </div></div>

I just used the supplied Eotech flip away mount. I also added a sage stripper clip mount to line it up behind the Eotech.

"If your SOCOM does not shoot well"

It shoots just fine. I was just trying to make that rifle do something that it was not designed to do.

"M1A's are a blast to shoot, but if the precision bug has you, as I suspect it does being here,"

Yup...

"I just used the supplied Eotech flip away mount. I also added a sage stripper clip mount to line it up behind the Eotech."

I like the your setup especially for hunting. What a hog gun that would make. You haven't lived until you have been hog hunting at night in the south Georgia swamps. The odds even up a bit.

I like that multiplier mounted on the stripper clip. It looks like a breeze to mount.

Maybe it's just me, but I think a foward mounted Aimpoint M2 optic makes the SOCOM look top heavy...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you have to augment the Sage stripper clip at all? </div></div>
No but the magnifer seemed just a little high on the Eotech, not by much.
SA1C.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eotech maybe ?

eta: found that one with aimpoint on arfcom:

rsxuyo.jpg
</div></div>

Impact - I know this isn't your pic, but something is not right about it... looks like one of those toy guns for the 1/12th model/action figures.

OP - I am setting a MK14 build up with the EOTECH 552 + the Gen I magnifier on a Sage mount set up as posted by ejd049 above. So +1 on that set up... but I advise on checking whether the Sage stripper clip mount will line up with your pic rail before you start buying stuff. FYI - I will also have a Leupy MK4 M3 for longer range work on my MK14 rig. No need to lock yourself into one option for optics IMHO.

I also gave up on scoping the SOCOM II. I finally mounted an EoTech 552 on it. Worked fine out to 200 yards until the batteries started to leak. Switched to an Aimpoint ML3.