Thoughts on the Aero Precision SOLUS ?

Any chance someone could post a photo? I've looked for 15 minutes with my reading glasses and a flashlight.
IMG_6113.jpeg

Anyone actually finding a blen on their "blem" .or just another way to move product without devaluing the "regular" ones ?

My 17” blem chassis paired with my blem Solus Onsidian. Thinking 6 Dasher shouldered prefit for this build.
This rifle will be my introduction to PRS, if I can get over the jitters of being a new guy and knowing absolutely nothing. So if I don’t like PRS, I haven’t dumped thousands into a rifle

View attachment 8488071

I bought this same colored blem for my 308 20” PVA barreled Solus action. I then did a little painting on it and my stainless PVA 6.5 barrel for my Origin. I couldn’t bring myself to paint my KRG-B. On the barrels I used dark earth aluminum-hyde II and baked it in the oven at 195. The other colors were Rustoleum Camo colors from a rattle can.

IMG_4140.jpeg

Decided to build the rifle on a Christensen Arms chassis I got a good deal on. Required a good amount of fitting at the bolt release, ejection port, and the action rail on the hand guard. Very impressed with the rifle and action for what I’m into it.

IMG_5221.jpeg

Reactions: FuhQ
im in the same boat. Only blemish I can find on mine is some inconsistent finish. Otherwise seems to be perfect.

Mine weighs 35.2 oz. Website says 39.3 oz, so it’s nice to see it be a little lighter than that.

Anyone actually finding a blen on their "blem" .or just another way to move product without devaluing the "regular" ones?

I buy a good amount of "blems" from Aero. Sometimes they are in plain boxes marked Blem, others come in full retail boxes not marked Blem. I have noticed only found 2 small "blems"

On this chassis, yes, the colors of anodizing are different shades (which the different materials take color at different volts/temperature) so that's hard to avoid, but I like it. But the "Blem" to me on this chassis is the horizontal line under the ejection port, halfway down the magwell.
The other blem I have noticed came on a M5 charging handle, and under neath the lever was a small imperfection in the finish.

But that's nitpicking IMO. Plus when you stack other discounts on their blems its hard to go wrong

Took the Solus complete rifles out to the 2 mile range this past weekend. Only shot out to 800 as we were developing dope that day.

Super pleasant to shoot, zero issues with the guns and supremely accurate. For the money that we paid, what a value. My wife was shooting her 22 inch 6.5 Creedmoor with, believe it or not, my YHM Resonator K. Very little muzzle climb, and the sound profile was oddly pleasant. My gun was equipped with my Omega 300 DTM. Same deal.

She loves her gun which makes me supremely happy. I believe we've got 500 rounds down her barrel now and we aren't seeing any accuracy drop or anything of note. I haven't borescoped the barrel or anything like that but i'll report back when our 100 yard groups start opening up. I'm about to start handloading for us so we will see exactly how accurate our samples are.

The only thing to note is that the ONE AW mag I bought to try out doesn't really like these chassis's and actions. In both of our samples, the lower lug will hit the follower when the bolt is retracted out of battery. I adjusted the mag catch to drop the magazine as low as possible but the bolt is still riding on that follower just a tad. It's almost like a ghetto bolt hold open upon empty lol. Not a huge deal as I could easily file a mag catch to allow the magazine to sit a teeny bit lower but for these guns and what we are doing, it's not worth it. Our cheap ass AICS Pmags work just fine.

IMG_4320.jpg

Took the Solus complete rifles out to the 2 mile range this past weekend. Only shot out to 800 as we were developing dope that day.

Super pleasant to shoot, zero issues with the guns and supremely accurate. For the money that we paid, what a value. My wife was shooting her 22 inch 6.5 Creedmoor with, believe it or not, my YHM Resonator K. Very little muzzle climb, and the sound profile was oddly pleasant. My gun was equipped with my Omega 300 DTM. Same deal.

She loves her gun which makes me supremely happy. I believe we've got 500 rounds down her barrel now and we aren't seeing any accuracy drop or anything of note. I haven't borescoped the barrel or anything like that but i'll report back when our 100 yard groups start opening up. I'm about to start handloading for us so we will see exactly how accurate our samples are.

View attachment 8490956
How has that AAC 6.5 CM performed for you?
Thanks

Reactions: Magsz18
How has that AAC 6.5 CM performed for you?
Thanks

For the price, marvelously. It's sub moa from both rifles all day every day. It's the offering with the actual SMK bullet. Chrono's about 2650 from both rifles. I ran a test last month shooting a 30 round string. Five round groups into 2 inch circles at 100 yards. I shot a total of six groups. The fifth and sixth groups opened up to an inch and drifted down and left about .3 mils. This was essentially, rapid fire.

I'm pleased with that.

Last edited:
The only thing to note is that the ONE AW mag I bought to try out doesn't really like these chassis's and actions. In both of our samples, the lower lug will hit the follower when the bolt is retracted out of battery. I adjusted the mag catch to drop the magazine as low as possible but the bolt is still riding on that follower just a tad. It's almost like a ghetto bolt hold open upon empty lol. Not a huge deal as I could easily file a mag catch to allow the magazine to sit a teeny bit lower but for these guns and what we are doing, it's not worth it. Our cheap ass AICS Pmags work just fine.

View attachment 8490956

AW mags were designed that way... Attached a screenshot from @Lowlight saying you can file down the rear of the follower a bit to alleviate that if you want 👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240830-163215.png
    Screenshot_20240830-163215.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
AW mags were designed that way... Attached a screenshot from @Lowlight saying you can file down the rear of the follower a bit to alleviate that if you want 👍
No shit...

I'll be damned. Thanks for educating me bro. Learn something new every day!

I'll have to readjust the mag catch a little and give the magazine another go. I didn't really mind it but I was worried about destroying the follower as the engagement was really shallow. If i pushed hard enough I could over ride the follower (improperly adjusted mag catch) which led me to believe this was a defect.

Reactions: Overwatch260
No shit...

I'll have to readjust the mag catch a little and give the magazine another go. I didn't really mind it but I was worried about destroying the follower as the engagement was really shallow. If i pushed hard enough I could over ride the follower (improperly adjusted mag catch) which led me to believe this was a defect.
You can just push the bolt hard enough and it will round off the edge of the plastic follower. A dremel and 10 seconds also works. I do not like the bolt hold open feature either.

No shit...

Yes sir my Solus does the same with my AW mags... It doesn't bother me cause I'm used to my old AXMC doing the same. Plus you can always add a couple of rounds through the ejection port with the AWs too 👌

Does anyone know the allen key size to adjust the magazine catch on the solus chassis? It’s the silver one inside the magwell I’m unsure about. I’ve tried every size I have.

Decided to pickup a 4th one... This one in the 22" Sendero 6.5 Creed flavor... Wanted FDE, but they were sold out, so I had to get black again... Oh well, I can always swap it around with my FDE chassis on my .260 Rem.

And if I don't care for the 6.5CM barrel, I can just order a custom one, and pop it on here at the house in 10 minutes. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Well, I resisted as long as I could, but I finally picked up a SOLUS obsidian with mag bolt face from Classic Firearms, the price was too good. Then I went to the Aero website and purchased a .478 bolt head and action wrench, both on sale.

I think I’ll make this one a 22 or 25 creedmoor…

Well, I resisted as long as I could, but I finally picked up a SOLUS obsidian with mag bolt face from Classic Firearms, the price was too good. Then I went to the Aero website and purchased a .478 bolt head and action wrench, both on sale.

I think I’ll make this one a 22 or 25 creedmoor…
Go .25 Creed with heavies... You won't look back.

Reactions: YotaEer
new to long range shooting and have an aero SOLUS that I built in 22CM.
I’m no gunsmith but I’ve heard horror stories about $1000+ actions from other brands that have had to be lapped/trued/etc because they were far from perfect from the factory. I’m curious if anyone has checked a SOLUS action for trueness and what their results were.

With that being said, I love my SOLUS and it shoots better than I ever could.

Got my Razor Gen3 back from Vortex, and it's EXPONENTIALLY better than before I sent it off. Sending it off was one of the best decisions I've made in a while. Literally like night & day difference.

So, 3 shot sight-in, got her pretty close to zero'd up with the micro-adjusts (enough to shoot a couple groups), and I'll really dial it in next range trip. It's more than "good enough" right now, but it's not dead-center pinwheel enough for my OCD to handle it. LOL

Here was the first 7-shot group of the day after the 3 shot sight-in...

image_cropper_396964E2-F8D1-43E6-9B0C-FDE8D543DA50-10219-00001A7F5677549C.jpeg

Here's the best group I've gotten out of this barrel and load combo, so far. It was the 2nd, and last group I shot today, the rest was just banging MOA steel gongs (3") @ 300 for fun. Which leads me to believe it was either me, or the scope having issues that was causing me not to get as precise as I need to.

image_cropper_5778DA93-270F-417B-8F4C-1F100B7DEC98-10219-00001A80781EB6BB.jpeg

Also, my uber picky .308 Win factory-barreled Solus pissed me off for the last time. So, this afternoon, I finished shooting up the loads I had developed for it, and then immediately came home, pulled the rifle apart, and snatched the barrel, and put on my new @CarbonSix 20" 7mm SAW barrel, and put it all back together. Don't have dies yet, but my Alpha Munitions brass & modified case gauge will be here tomorrow, so I can at least go ahead and get started on some measurements and running some numbers. If they will fit in there with no issues, then I might be able to load up some using my old 7mm-08 Rem seating die, since I won't need to size anything (new brass) yet.

Reactions: dcl1bow
What velocity are you getting on the 25 creed? Where does it fall in with regards to a 25SST or the 25 PRC?
20" Proof 7.5" twist barrel, I'm averaging around 2,800 FPS MV with the Berger 133's. Not sure where it falls in the .25 SST or .25 PRC, but I can guarantee that barrel life with the .25 Creed @ 2800 will be significantly better than those other 2. Run a dope chart on that bullet running 2800 FPS, and it's pretty impressive. I think you'd see that you wouldn't really need to step up to the magnums.

They shoot perfectly, this is a group at 100 yds without rear support off a tripod. One 5 rd group and one three rd group. I'm actually selling my Proof 6 GT barrel and McMillan A4 ADJ stock if anyone is interested.
Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 10.34.58 PM.png

image_cropper_A29F25F5-76EF-40DF-A849-0F7C9006F2AC-38459-00000FAB067A09EB.jpeg
image_cropper_90700E9D-46DF-4AB0-9C99-8FBABE18AE67-1566-00000FAC1C57B73E.jpeg

I know about the 419 adapter to replace the bolt handle, but the new action arrived today and noticed this on the flap of the box. Anyone know if Aerro is planning to release replacement handles?View attachment 8501243

Seems like the "lightweight" version has a smaller handle with cutouts for weight savings.

Doesn't look like Aero is planning on adding multiple options for bolt knobs.

Reactions: Darryle
Seems like the "lightweight" version has a smaller handle with cutouts for weight savings.

Doesn't look like Aero is planning on adding multiple options for bolt knobs.
Somebody posted in another thread you can get an Area 419 knob adapter piece that will let you run any normal knob after that. It's for another action, but it works on the Solus, too. Personally, I like the size and feel of the factory Solus knob, it's about perfect for weight, size, and how far it projects from the side of the rifle. All of my 700's with aftermarket knobs stick WAY out there. And while it's better than the factory knobs, it makes packing them tightly in the safe pretty much impossible, unless you remove the bolts...Which I don't like to do.

I bought this same colored blem for my 308 20” PVA barreled Solus action. I then did a little painting on it and my stainless PVA 6.5 barrel for my Origin. I couldn’t bring myself to paint my KRG-B. On the barrels I used dark earth aluminum-hyde II and baked it in the oven at 195. The other colors were Rustoleum Camo colors from a rattle can.

View attachment 8490314
That Bravo at least needs a Rustoleum sponge camo facelift....
IMG_0621.JPG
Wow... That's my Tikka CTR and it had the Athlon Ares BTR or ARCA Rail on it. I hadn't even made the SS Stock LOP Spacers or the aluminum bolt handle yet.
That Bravo has a T3 in 223 with a 22" Medium Palma X-Caliber barrel that I re-profiled to use my AEM 5 Suppressor with out a tapered sleeve on it. Super fun to shoot ! Zero Recoil

Reactions: KYAggie