• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Thunder Valley Precision - Ohio 2011 Schedule

Re: Thunder Valley Precision - Ohio 2011 Schedule

The weather of today's intimidator practice match was markedly inproved from last week. Winds moderated a bit from last week and from yesterday, the highest I measured was about 13 mph. I shot very badly but learned about a lot of things that I need to know and do.

The most important I think is to develop a consistent set of tasks for each shot. I screwed up in a number of ways most related to not being disciplined about my preparation of each shot. I also learned you absolutely must have dope for your rifle / ammunition combination that exceeds then precision of at least my modeling software. I also need to improve my basic shooting mechanics a bit more. Hopefully my upcoming class will help with all these issues.

An interesting observation as I spotted a lot of the good shooters today, I noticed that the better the shooter the more likely a miss is cause by changing wind. Perhaps an obvious observation, but as mostly a pistol shooter kind of a surprise.

Marcy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought I remember in some pictures a while back Tom shooting out to 2400 yards? Is there a spot there for ELR more than a mile? </div></div>

Pretty sure Tom has that in the works at TVP. He'll probably chime in for more details.

Saturday 3/19/2011
Partly cloudy.
Hi: 60°
Lo: 40°

grin.gif

3/19 practice day, will be my first time at tvp, do we shoot known distances and do you post the distances or is it an open range? I am really looking forward to attending and learning a lot. I cant wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sch2046</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3/19 practice day, will be my first time at tvp, do we shoot known distances and do you post the distances or is it an open range? I am really looking forward to attending and learning a lot. I cant wait. </div></div>
Plenty of known ranges and lasers available to verify. 600 yrd berm, 1000 yrd berm, steel everywhere. Plenty of help available to get ranges if you ask.

Would have to say watch for the road signs, it's hill country for sure. Not hard once you have been there, stay on the main road and the last turn will be onto dirt and look for the driveway with that house in the pics, sits up on the hill. Someone had a google map for it here somewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sch2046</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do we need to be there by 8:30 and will it be hard to find? This is our first time there. Any land marks we should look for? cant wait. </div></div>
In my experience not on open range days as acess is open to targets to all anytime. come whenever on open days. matches are different and shooters must be ontime.

You may want to call Tom before heading to his place, get a road and route report, lots of high water right now in the low valleys. You may have to change your route but you will get there, all I can say is – without a doubt an awesome place to shoot and develop for sure.

Thanks Tom

oneshot.onehit

At this point it does not appear so. I believe a few shooters and I are going to work on the "Head Hunter" course to ensure everything will be ready and bugs worked out for our opening weekend of the "Head Hunter".
The rain and range conditions has slowed our progress but we will be ready and will have it completed mid week. Practice will be on Friday for some shooters coming in from out of state. Call ahead if you are interested.
See you tomorrow!

Wade and Tom,
Thanks for a great day today. Great weather and people!! I hit 1150 yrds for the first time. Seeing Tom shoot 3500 yrds was a real eye opener. I cant wait to come back.
I appreciate all your help etc.
Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sch2046</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seeing Tom shoot 3500 yrds was a real eye opener.</div></div>

No way ... impossible ... these are rifles not ballistic missiles.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Looking foreward to the longer range steel, but I can only dial to 2,100 yards with the way I have things are currently set up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sch2046</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seeing Tom shoot 3500 yrds was a real eye opener.</div></div>

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Looking foreward to the longer range steel, but I can only dial to 2,100 yards with the way I have things are currently set up. </div></div>

I think he meant 3050 yards instead of 3500,

Not impossible I shot 4 rounds to his 3050 point this last week, all I can say is I would not want to be on the receiving end. The 338 Lapua shot out of the Barrett was too consistent at that range to want to be on the intended target.

If my memory is correct my son said the program showed a fps at 825 and a energy level of 503 lbs at impact from the 300 gr Scenar – still capable of some serious damage

Thanks Tom for showing my son and I how to get the maximum use out of a scope – seeing what you intend to hit and doing it.

Jeff

No, I meant, 3500 yards, from the top station down into the back pond at a tree. 3500 yards, he was using the rifle he set the record with, I think a necked down 338 to a 308??? It was impressive.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot.onehit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sch2046</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seeing Tom shoot 3500 yrds was a real eye opener.</div></div>

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Looking foreward to the longer range steel, but I can only dial to 2,100 yards with the way I have things are currently set up. </div></div>

I think he meant 3050 yards instead of 3500,

Not impossible I shot 4 rounds to his 3050 point this last week, all I can say is I would not want to be on the receiving end. The 338 Lapua shot out of the Barrett was too consistent at that range to want to be on the intended target.

If my memory is correct my son said the program showed a fps at 825 and a energy level of 503 lbs at impact from the 300 gr Scenar – still capable of some serious damage

Thanks Tom for showing my son and I how to get the maximum use out of a scope – seeing what you intend to hit and doing it.

Jeff

</div></div>

The tree a white Birch shaped like a Y, that’s what I shot at, either 3500 or 3050 my memory sucks a little at my age, that’s why the log books help for the main course. It was a nice shot. And it can be done repetitive.

I hope you had as great of a time as we did.

Folks

Tom was a great instructor that for most folks at “any level” can appreciate.
His course of fire was set well and a great challenge no 2 sets were the same. We should not dwell on who shot the furthest or how far we attempted a round. But more so on what we could accomplish and repeat, his format, vast amount of targets and knowledge allows anyone any given day a new challenge to learn from and to better yourself. We ran the intimidator 3 times after checking zeros and running the 200 to 1200 grid, and every time we ran the intimidator we had different weather and wind conditions, a great training and or competition course for anyone. We ended up with a 1600 mile trip going to Thunder Valley Precision and it was well worth it. I’m looking forward to another again.

oneshot.onehit

Tom has a great thing going down there. I plan on making a day trip there this year while i am home visiting family on vacation and running the course!!

I have had a bunch of requests from some of the regular shooters there to create them a page that will work for his courses of fire. Below you can find the example.

Any shooters that shoot there, we are offering this new page to assist in your shooting needs at TVP. You can find this new page located in our Shooting Sport Specific section of our site.

SSS-TVP-1.jpg

They are in stock ready to order.

what do you guys think i have a 7 mm rem mag and need a new barrel should i stick with the 7 or go to a 300 win mag is it worth the it to re tool ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yomama</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what do you guys think i have a 7 mm rem mag and need a new barrel should i stick with the 7 or go to a 300 win mag is it worth the it to re tool ? </div></div>

I'd rather you go with the .300 ....... 7mm bullets are hard eough to find at times
laugh.gif
. If you are all set up for the 7mm then why not stick with it? I don't see anything gained by going to the .300WM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yomama</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the .300 wm would be better at longer ranges </div></div>

If your shooting 208 Amax's or 210 Bergers, you'll do fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yomama</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what barrel company do you guys recomend </div></div>

Any premium barrel maker like (not in any order)

Krieger
Brux
Bartlein
Rock
Shilen

The caveat is making sure you pick a gunsmith worth his salt to install it and not screw up the job. There are many exceptional rifle builders on the forum that can help you, again not in any order

Suarez Tactical, Short Action Customs, Dave Tooley, Terry Cross, William Roscoe, Chad Dixon, Underground Skunkworks, R&D Precision, Wolfe Precision, Thunder Valley Precision, Robert Gradous

Yomama;

Are you local & have you been to Thunder Valley? Just wondering why you chose this location for your Question. I spoke with a guy that had both this past weekend at the range was this you?

yes i have been there iam a newish member for almost a year at thunder valley my name is al. no it was not me you spoke with i have not been there in a while its been a couple months have had equipment problem .i figured you guys would know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yomama</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes i have been there iam a newish member for almost a year at thunder valley my name is al. no it was not me you spoke with i have not been there in a while its been a couple months have had equipment problem .i figured you guys would know. </div></div>

Did I give you a drop chart for 168 SMKs last year? Trying to figure out who is who as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was that a savage 7mm? if so Shilen Barrels
I remember you </div></div>

Shilen's are good, but you'll wait 6+ months to get one.

Jim Briggs at Northland Shooter's Supply is a good guy to talk to as he stocks Savage pre-fits. I just sent one of the Criterion barrels from Kreiger out for nitriding, but the test loads prior to shipping looked real good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yomama</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tom has a remington 700 300 win mag i might pick up </div></div>

Nice...

.338 LM and under.

If it continues to dry up we MAY allow a truck or two to head out on the range but the only ones in the back of it will be shooters who can't hump it.
There has been more damage to the range in the last 3 weeks than the last 3 years due to trucks running around on the range.
TVP will be making hay this year so ruts are a no no and once the ruts start to erode there is no stopping it here.

Also, there will be absolutely positively NO PARKING OR DRIVING ON THE GREENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I see anyone do this I will surely go ape shit in a hurry after only saying it at least 500 times.
If shooters want to lay in the mud and not enjoy the fact of ejecting brass onto the soft clean grass then I will lift the ban. But some how I don't think that will go over well after having the positions look like golf greens for the last 3 years.
So, this year we will rope off the greens or whatever to prevent this.
Lots of new things going on this year and we will do our best to show our shooters a good time and supply a world class place to shoot and train.
Also, if you are a smoker that is fine, but please bring something to put your butts in. It's gets really dry here and windy...lol and the last thing we need is a field in flames.
Plus I dont enjoy seeing them lay around or picking them up. Police up your area when here at TVP...please.

Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend.

So, is there definitely an AR shoot April 2nd? I only ask because there is a question mark after it on the schedule.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: APD69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello. I am new to long range shooting and live near Dayton. Anyone interested in ride sharing to TVP? </div></div>

Tried this a few times, guess people need to meet other people before they commit to getting stuck in the car with them. Hope this don't stop you from shooting up there, its worth the drive.

Looks like just over 2 hrs shooting time for the intimidator course? I'm looking at a six hour drive to and from and am trying to roughly figure out the logistics of the trip.