• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tikka T1X

Some of you guys are putting up some very good targets. That said, there are only two 6x5 targets with the T1X. Give it a go so everyone can see the value in the T1X. It's hard because one round can blow the series but everyone already knows that. Give it a go.

The first chance I have this week, my new (~100 rounds) T1X is getting shipped back to Beretta for repair because of trigger issues. It can't safely be put at a lower trigger pull without intermittant failure to reset and slam-firing.

I had problems with failure to eject. The case would stay in the port. I found that the harder you jack the bolt, the more it failed. It looks like it will bypass ejector if you pull it too fast. I found, if slowly pull the bolt back it kicks it out every time. NO Failure to Feed, just fired case staying in port, blocking closing the bolt.

Mark

Back on page 12 and 19 there were a few posts about failure to ejects. Did this issue work itself out, or is it still a problem. I seem to be having 2-3 per mag, and other times none ...

Last edited:
Back on page 12 and 19 there were a few posts about failure to ejects. Did this issue work itself out, or is it still a problem. I seem to be having 2-3 per mag, and other times none ...

When my gun is very dirty the spent case will stick in the bolt/action stovepipe, but only a 1 or 2 time in 200 rounds. Brush the bolt and wipe the action, good to go again.
Mark

Anyone have the chance to put their t1x into a Tikka manners stock yet? I only have experience with XLR chassis and am curious about fitting my t1x into a a stock from manners (prs1?).

Clue me in....what do I need to know?

4 inches of extra length doesn’t bother me.

I ordered a 22LR from Eurooptic. Hopefully, they’re still in stock. Anyone know where I can get a FDE Bravo
You can always get the one for the T3 from KRG and do the small modification yourself.

Was planning to wait on the Bravo for the T1X, but there go those plans. Ordered the T3 variant and will just do the mod work.

Now for the glass. Trying to decide between upgrading the 6.5 and hand-me-downing the AccuPower to this, or just getting this its own new rig...

Was planning to wait on the Bravo for the T1X, but there go those plans. Ordered the T3 variant and will just do the mod work.

Now for the glass. Trying to decide between upgrading the 6.5 and hand-me-downing the AccuPower to this, or just getting this its own new rig...

If you are working in a budget the Athlon Argos BTR or the Athlon Midas TAC are excellent optics. Really I think the Athlon Midas TAC is the Best Buy dollar for dollar going now in optics. I have two of them both on rimfire sandy that are excellent optics. If you do want either of those call and Talk to Doug at Cameraland. He really takes great care of the members here. Be sure to call to get Snipers Hide pricing.

The Midas has the same glass as the Ares BTR so that is a wash. The Midas has better turrets in my opinion and the capped windage turret is a really nice feature. The Tac doesn’t have illumination though which I never use anyway. If you don’t need the illumination I think the Midas Tac is a much better buy.

If you are working in a budget the Athlon Argos BTR or the Athlon Midas TAC are excellent optics. Really I think the Athlon Midas TAC is the Best Buy dollar for dollar going now in optics. I have two of them both on rimfire sandy that are excellent optics. If you do want either of those call and Talk to Doug at Cameraland. He really takes great care of the members here. Be sure to call to get Snipers Hide pricing.

I was looking at the Athlon stuff. I was thinking of the Ares 4.5-27, I do like the illumination. What don’t you like about the turrets on those other than the cap?

Anyone have the chance to put their t1x into a Tikka manners stock yet? I only have experience with XLR chassis and am curious about fitting my t1x into a a stock from manners (prs1?).

Clue me in....what do I need to know?

I put my T1X into my McMillan until my J Allen came in. I had to remove some material around the bolt stop/release area and that was about it. I was using the Mountain Tactical bottom metal and it still gave me access to the mag release. I did have to remove the mag catch as that would hit the mag enough to cause malfunctions.

The first chance I have this week, my new (~100 rounds) T1X is getting shipped back to Beretta for repair because of trigger issues. It can't safely be put at a lower trigger pull without intermittant failure to reset and slam-firing.

I had a lot better luck adjusting it down further with a Mountain Tactical trigger spring then I did with the factory trigger spring. But mine will be swapped out for a Timney in the not so distant future.

I was looking at the Athlon stuff. I was thinking of the Ares 4.5-27, I do like the illumination. What don’t you like about the turrets on those other than the cap?

The turrets on the Midas Tac are just more tactile and distinct. The Ares I used just didn’t have a great feel to the turrets. The one I had was an older model but the turrets were a little mushy but still survivable. Now the Ares ETR turrets are a whole different matter. They are fantastic as is the glass.

Reactions: McReef
The turrets on the Midas Tac are just more tactile and distinct. The Ares I used just didn’t have a great feel to the turrets. The one I had was an older model but the turrets were a little mushy but still survivable. Now the Ares ETR turrets are a whole different matter. They are fantastic as is the glass.

Can’t speak for the Midas TAC but I’ve got two new Ares BTR and the turrets aren’t mushy. They aren’t ridiculously awesome either but they are fairly crisp. The zero stop seems to work well too. I might get the Midas TAC soon to test it out so I’ll see how it compares.

I know the best way to find what ammo your rifle likes best is to simply go out and shoot it, but I wanted to see if there was anything on my list of potentials that could be eliminated right from the start from others prior experiences - or at least narrow it down to perhaps a top 20 I should start with.

My current shopping cart has the following:

Aguila Super Extra HV 40g
Aguila Super Extra SV 40g
Blazer 40g
CCI AR Tactical 40g
CCI Clean HV 40g
CCI Clean SubSonic 40g
CCI Copper 21g
CCI Green Tag 40g
CCI MiniMag 36g
CCI MiniMag 40g
CCI Pistol Match 40g
CCI Standard Velocity 40g
Eley Club 40g
Eley Contact 42g
Eley Edge EPS 40g
Eley Force 42g
Eley Match 40g
Eley Match Pistol 40g
Eley Target 40g
Eley Tenex 40g
Eley Tenex Pistol 40g
Federal American Eagle 38g
Federal American Eagle 40g
Federal AutoMatch 40g
Federal Champion 525 Bulk 36g
Federal Champion Blue Box 40g
Federal Gold Medal Target 40g
Federal Gold Medal Target HV 40g
Fiocchi Exacta Biathlon Winter 40g
Fiocchi Exacta Offical 320 40g
Fiocchi Blue Box 40g
Lapua Center X 40g
Lapua Pistol OSP 40g
Lapua Polar Biathlon 40g
Lapua Midas+ 40g
Lapua Pistol King 40g
Norma Match 40g
Norma TAC22 40g
Remington Golden Bullet 40g
Remington Target 40g
Remington Thunderbolt 40g
SK Flatnose Match 40g
SK Long Range Match 40g
SK Pistol Match 40g
SK Pistol Match Special 40g
SK Rifle Match 40g
SK Standard Plus 40g
Winchester M22 40g

Really considering the T1X over a CZ 457 at this point. Only thing holding me back is the 20" barrel on the Tikka vs. the 16" barrel I would choose since this will be 100% suppressed.

Any news on the 16" T1X coming to the US?

I ended up just buying the T1X. My Bass Pro had one in stock and I had a ton of gift cards to burn on it. Now to save up for the KRG Bravo.

I'm looking at a Area419 picatinny rail for it, what height rings are people using with pic rails?

I know the best way to find what ammo your rifle likes best is to simply go out and shoot it, but I wanted to see if there was anything on my list of potentials that could be eliminated right from the start from others prior experiences - or at least narrow it down to perhaps a top 20 I should start with.

My current shopping cart has the following:

Aguila Super Extra HV 40g
Aguila Super Extra SV 40g
Blazer 40g
CCI AR Tactical 40g
CCI Clean HV 40g
CCI Clean SubSonic 40g
CCI Copper 21g
CCI Green Tag 40g
CCI MiniMag 36g
CCI MiniMag 40g
CCI Pistol Match 40g
CCI Standard Velocity 40g
Eley Club 40g
Eley Contact 42g
Eley Edge EPS 40g
Eley Force 42g
Eley Match 40g
Eley Match Pistol 40g
Eley Target 40g
Eley Tenex 40g
Eley Tenex Pistol 40g
Federal American Eagle 38g
Federal American Eagle 40g
Federal AutoMatch 40g
Federal Champion 525 Bulk 36g
Federal Champion Blue Box 40g
Federal Gold Medal Target 40g
Federal Gold Medal Target HV 40g
Fiocchi Exacta Biathlon Winter 40g
Fiocchi Exacta Offical 320 40g
Fiocchi Blue Box 40g
Lapua Center X 40g
Lapua Pistol OSP 40g
Lapua Polar Biathlon 40g
Lapua Midas+ 40g
Lapua Pistol King 40g
Norma Match 40g
Norma TAC22 40g
Remington Golden Bullet 40g
Remington Target 40g
Remington Thunderbolt 40g
SK Flatnose Match 40g
SK Long Range Match 40g
SK Pistol Match 40g
SK Pistol Match Special 40g
SK Rifle Match 40g
SK Standard Plus 40g
Winchester M22 40g

Holy Crap! You will be testing ammo in the gun for a year. By the time you find a good brand a lot of ammo it will have been sold out a year ago and you will need to start all over again. Get a few types of subsonic Eley, Lapua and some Wolf or SK. Say 6 different kinds total. One of those will shoot well. Buying and testing all that ammo is overkill. I shot 6 types of ammo out of my rifle to see what it liked. All 6 shot well. Eley Edge shot the best but only marginally. The Tikka seems to shoot most ammo well just stay away from the high velocity stuff.

Reactions: cannoncrossfire
Holy Crap! You will be testing ammo in the gun for a year. By the time you find a good brand a lot of ammo it will have been sold out a year ago and you will need to start all over again. Get a few types of subsonic Eley, Lapua and some Wolf or SK. Say 6 different kinds total. One of those will shoot well. Buying and testing all that ammo is overkill. I shot 6 types of ammo out of my rifle to see what it liked. All 6 shot well. Eley Edge shot the best but only marginally. The Tikka seems to shoot most ammo well just stay away from the high velocity stuff.

Not saying I'm going to buy/test all those ... It's just a list of candidates. However, even if I did spend the $300 or so to buy all that and test fire 10rds of each, it's only 500rds ... Doesn't take all that much time to do

Not saying I'm going to buy/test all those ... It's just a list of candidates. However, even if I did spend the $300 or so to buy all that and test fire 10rds of each, it's only 500rds ... Doesn't take all that much time to do

Here is what I can tell you based on all the ammo I have tried in my Tikka and the two other rifles I have which are both built for NRL22 type matches. High velocity ammo in any flavor doesn’t shoot as well subsonic ammo. I have tried a quite a few over the years and a few in the Tikka and they just don’t shoot like the standard velocity match ammo. With the exception of CCI SV just avoid all the cheap ammo. Eley, Lapua, SK and Wolf almost always shoot well in any of my rifles. For me it is usually a matter of trying those to see what shoots the best in my rifle. You can get lucky with CCI SV sometimes too. I recently bought a lot number that my Tikka shoots pretty well. It has shot well enough that I have been using it for practice ammo. In general most of the ammo I try in my rifle shoots really well at 50 and even 100 yards. After that though the quality of the ammo really starts to show.

Can’t speak for the Midas TAC but I’ve got two new Ares BTR and the turrets aren’t mushy. They aren’t ridiculously awesome either but they are fairly crisp. The zero stop seems to work well too. I might get the Midas TAC soon to test it out so I’ll see how it compares.

My buddy just got a new Ares BTR. I will have to check his out. The older one I tried didn’t have terrible turrets either. The turrets on the Midas TAC are just much nicer. The Midas TAC is just a whole lot of optic for the money especially if you call one of the sites supporting vendors. Don’t get me wrong the Ares BTR is a nice optic. At that price point though I would probably buy a Viper PST instead of the Ares. In the $500-600 range I don’t think there is anything out there that is a better buy than the Midas TAC.

I'd also add Aguila Super Extra SV to the inexpensive ammo list. I've had better performance out of it lately than the latest lots of CCI SV.

I have tried 6 or 7 different lots of the Aguila Super Extra because a lot of the guys I know really like it. I guess I have just not found a good lot because none of the lots I shot did well in any of my rifles. I’m sure I will keep trying to find a good lot though since it is available here locally.

Settle for the 20" or wait for the 16"?

I haven't found any resource that can confirm the 16 will make it to the US. Its anyones guess at this point.

I'm still waiting in line (like many) for my rimfire can. So while that's in jail, I'll just wait on Tikka to give us more info, if they ever do. Probably another 6-8 months before I have to decide.

I shot with my T1X for the first time today using my TBAC 22TD suppressor and it didn't feel unwieldy. All I shot with it was CCI SV but it did really well and I cleaned my KYL rack multiple times at 50 yards with it. I have a Vudoo and only got the Tikka for a small game hunting rifle but I was pleasantly surprised by it today.

Thinking about picking up a Viper PST 2 3-15 for one of these just to keep things similar to my T3x. It's only about $50 more to go up to the 5-25 model though. Realistically is there any chance one would ever need more than 15 for these rifles? Most rimfire shooting I've done has been 50 yards or less to this point so not sure if it's worth it to spend a little more for the higher power or not.

Thinking about picking up a Viper PST 2 3-15 for one of these just to keep things similar to my T3x. It's only about $50 more to go up to the 5-25 model though. Realistically is there any chance one would ever need more than 15 for these rifles? Most rimfire shooting I've done has been 50 yards or less to this point so not sure if it's worth it to spend a little more for the higher power or not.

You get more adjustment on the 15x vs the 25x. Also 15x works well for my T1x on our 8” steel targets at 420 yards (and probably further but that’s all I’ve shot it out to so far).

You get more adjustment on the 15x vs the 25x. Also 15x works well for my T1x on our 8” steel targets at 420 yards (and probably further but that’s all I’ve shot it out to so far).
I like higher mag for spotting.
This is how I see it:
3 vs 5 mag - not so big difference
15 vs 25 mag - depending on glass quality, quite big difference

I have the 5-25 on mine, and 3 of my buddies. As well, most people here in Utah use the 5-25 because the smaller targets are much easier to see at distance when we are shooting the NRL22 matches.

And just because you have 25 power doesn't mean you have to use it all the time but it is nice to have when you need it (shooting for groups, extreme distance etc). I typically shoot around 13-15 power with my 22 and my 6creed in matches because I feel it gives me the best field of view of my target and gives me enough to judge wind and see my misses. But when I'm doing load testing and zero I will always use the highest power of the scope.

I have the 5-25 on mine, and 3 of my buddies. As well, most people here in Utah use the 5-25 because the smaller targets are much easier to see at distance when we are shooting the NRL22 matches.

And just because you have 25 power doesn't mean you have to use it all the time but it is nice to have when you need it (shooting for groups, extreme distance etc). I typically shoot around 13-15 power with my 22 and my 6creed in matches because I feel it gives me the best field of view of my target and gives me enough to judge wind and see my misses. But when I'm doing load testing and zero I will always use the highest power of the scope.

I have a Tract Toric 4-20 on my Tikka which is my match rifle. The two other rifles I compete with wear a Toric 4-20 and a Sig Tango 6-24. My sons match rifle wears a gen 2 PST 5-25. In matches I rarely ever go over 14-16 and a lot of times dial all the way down to around 6 when I need the field of view to pick up targets fast. However, when I am shooting for practice at my range I am always using the top end of the magnification to see my impact holes. I have one optic that is a 4-16 and it is just not enough to spot 22 holes in paper well at 100 yards. You will more than likely not need the higher magnification in a match setting for a 22 but that doesn’t mean it will not come in very handy. I usually don’t even set up a spotting scope for anything less than 500-600 yards because I can just dial the magnification up on my optic and see what I need to see.

Reactions: Near miss
I have the 5-25 on mine. Focus down to the 25 yard targets no prob and the 25 is perfect for shooting 300 yards

Hello, I just purchased a T1x as a trainer to get ready to enter the precision rifle world and trying to soak up as much information as possible. I have an optic mount question...

I received a 20MOA Picatinny rail from Mountain Tactical. Now I'm trying to figure out what mounts to place my Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25 in. Im leaning towards the American Defense Recon Scope mount. But they have a 0MOA, 20MOA & 30MOA option.

I would like to use the scope and mount for my future rifle build as well. With that in mind which of the three MOA mounts would you guys recommend? If I get the 20MOA mount is 40MOA total stupid to have on a rimfire? Is 20MOA (total) on a long range rifle too little (with a 0MOA rail)? Do I need 20MOA rails on both rifles and then 20MOA on the mounts?
https://www.americandefensemanufact...s/scopemounts/bolt-action-rifle-scope-mounts/

Please help as the rest of the internet hasn't been able to.

(Plan is to get the Oryx chassis for it once it is released)

Last edited:
Hello, I just purchased a T1x as a trainer to get ready to enter the precision rifle world and trying to soak up as much information as possible. I have an optic mount question...

I received a 20MOA Picatinny rail from Mountain Tactical. Now I'm trying to figure out what mounts to place my Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25 in. Im leaning towards the American Defense Recon Scope mount. But they have a 0MOA, 20MOA & 30MOA option.

I would like to use the scope and mount for my future rifle build as well. With that in mind which of the three MOA mounts would you guys recommend? If I get the 20MOA mount is 40MOA total stupid to have on a rimfire? Is 20MOA (total) on a long range rifle too little (with a 0MOA rail)? Do I need 20MOA rails on both rifles and then 20MOA on the mounts?

If you have now 0moa rail on T1X, you can get the 40moa base and use it quite well, no problem except the image in the scope is not near center at 50m which degrades it a small bit.

Your next gun may have picatinny rail machined into it by default and thus you will be left with the mounting piece only, 20 or 40moa. (20.5moa equals 6mil rounded)

From my Strelok table I could check that 20MOA added on a .308 (Scenar, 168gr, 2657fps) will get you to 1360yds with a glass that moves around 30MIL
And over 1500yds with the reticle 8mil holdover.

Reactions: supra_medic13

The Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25 has roughly 70MOA of overall vertical travel or 20 MRAD (68.75 MOA) Specs Here

That means you will have roughly 35 MOA up and 35 MOA down. 40 MOA of rail angle is going to be too much to properly zero that scope at 50 yards.

With a 20 MOA rail and 0 MOA mount you will have roughly 15 MOA of down travel in the scope and 55 MOA up travel. You can now consult a 22lr standard velocity dope chart like this one to see how much 55 MOA of turret elevation will get you. Looks like that is roughly 300-325 yards. If that is enough for you and your goals with your 22lr then you are good to go. Beyond that you still have 36 MOA (or 10 MRAD) of hold overs you can use within the reticle. 55 MOA on turrets and roughly 35 MOA on reticle gets you roughly out to 425-450 yards. This isn't ideal but is possible.

If that isn't enough then you can sell your 20 MOA mount and pick up a Area 419 30 MOA mount. This will get you to 5 MOA down travel and 65 MOA up travel on your turrets. This puts your turret range to 350ish yards and turret+reticle MOA range to 450-475 yards.

Beyond that you will need to change out the scope. I know SWFA fixed power scopes have a massive turret travel that would be able to get you past 500 yards.

Another oddity is the ADM Recon mount is for an AR rifle. AR mounts are higher than bolt action mounts since the buttstock is in line with the barrel bore. This means your cheek is higher on the rifle and they compensate that by making the optics higher. If you put an AR scope mount on your Tikka you will be using a chin weld and not a cheek weld. You would need to add a cheek riser to your Tikka to be comfortable.