• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

Yeah, the “suppressors are really quick now!” thing is just for individuals.

Trusts are still taking a while.
Its all bs....i filed as an individual for all 3 and used the kiosk. Electronic, form 4 for individual, and still waiting. All they will say is "its in process". I'm a 30 year Paramedic....with absolutely nothing on my record. No idea what the problem is because nobody will say anything but "its in process". Finally wrote to my congressman last week to see if they could help.

Here's a question for folks who've had background running Tikka T3X family actions, and custom actions. I'm looking for input from guys who've run both, and have thoughts on the trade-offs.

I'm looking to do a new build that will be a LW hunting/field rifle, around 6.5 - 7 lbs before optic. Maybe a Bartlein or Proof CF, MDT HNT26 chassis. Currently I'm all in on Tikka T3X bolt guns. I have production, and customized Tikkas, but Tikka is all I have. Since I'm a LH shooter, Tikka works great and I like the smoothness and reliability of their actions, the bolt throw, etc.

Should I use one of my existing T3X actions for the build? Or is it worth considering a custom action? I've been looking at the Terminus Apollo lite action, which looks interesting, gets good reviews here, and has a 60 degree bolt throw. But not really sure that I need all those deluxe features for this particular LW rifle that won't be used for comps or precision. Now that you can get pre-fit barrels for Tikka (Proof, Preferred, PVA, etc), the selling point of a custom action that you can get prefits and install yourself, is less compelling than it used to be.
We have and have had several rifles built on T3 actions and have helped others in the process ranging from ultra light weight hunting rifles to PRS rigs and even F-Class rifles. None had issues with their Tikka actions. Then again ripping apart a well shooting tikka to get a doner action is hard to do. We come across shot out T3 rifles at a good price every now and then which makes it easy. I have had a few custom actions in the past and couldn't say they always impressed me meaning I wouldn't be sure if there is a noticeable improvement over a Tikka action.
Our latest one is a lightweight hunting rifle with a 24 oz fully adjustable carbon stock and 22" proof prefit in 6.5CM. Overall weight with Atlasworx aics mag system and 3 shot MDT mag is 2.9kg 6.4lb.

5HO50sR.jpg

OHQmzTT.jpg

edi

I know you probably haven't this resolve or solved.

In the future I would suggest a ringed nail cross drill thru the crack, side to side, trim the ringed nail short of the stock width and test fit multiple times. Buy a product called double bouble epoxy and a dental flush syringe. Make sure you either have a good bit of surgical tubing or small wood working quick clamps. Flush the crack with 100% alcohol multiple times and try to blow the excess out.

Once you have gotten everything together, you've drill the hole, now test fit it and do a dry run making sure you can close the crack up completely.

Once you are happy with your process and you're certain that you can make this happen. Place your stock outside in the direct sunlight for a hour or more, needs to get hot to the touch, not blister you hot, uncomfortable to hold hot. Now mix up two "kits" of double bouble, pour them into one of the flush syringes, with the stock still in the sun, inject the epoxy into the crack making sure you fill the hole drilled for the ringed nail. A little blue painters tape on either end with the stock laying on its side, fill the drilled hole, paying close attention to the weeping, it will let the bubbles rise to the top and will need to be monitored to keep the drilled hole full of epoxy. Once you have the crack injected and the drilled hole full, clamp or wrap the stock using the surgical tubing pulled extremely tight, now bring the stock into a cool area and the cooling effect will draw the epoxy in deeper.

Double Bubble is some great stuff, you just need to remember that the pot life on double bubble is 6-10 minutes. Clean up can be done with an Xacto with careful motions.
I like this idea and makes sense. Sounds like the same kind of logic as tenons on a glue up.

Fortunately for me (at least so far) my repair hasn’t reopened, post a couple hundred rounds.

Thanks for the input!

Reactions: Darryle
Here's a question for folks who've had background running Tikka T3X family actions, and custom actions. I'm looking for input from guys who've run both, and have thoughts on the trade-offs.

I'm looking to do a new build that will be a LW hunting/field rifle, around 6.5 - 7 lbs before optic. Maybe a Bartlein or Proof CF, MDT HNT26 chassis. Currently I'm all in on Tikka T3X bolt guns. I have production, and customized Tikkas, but Tikka is all I have. Since I'm a LH shooter, Tikka works great and I like the smoothness and reliability of their actions, the bolt throw, etc.

Should I use one of my existing T3X actions for the build? Or is it worth considering a custom action? I've been looking at the Terminus Apollo lite action, which looks interesting, gets good reviews here, and has a 60 degree bolt throw. But not really sure that I need all those deluxe features for this particular LW rifle that won't be used for comps or precision. Now that you can get pre-fit barrels for Tikka (Proof, Preferred, PVA, etc), the selling point of a custom action that you can get prefits and install yourself, is less compelling than it used to be.
I say if you run and like T3X (me too) and aren’t building for competition, why get spendy?