Tikka T3 Thread

Minus the tbac 22td that is normally attached.
49C6E256-1ED0-4C42-B3C1-D034D207D5C6.jpeg
Did your Tikka get too excited in this here photoshoot?

Or was there a dog involved?

Or did there occur a worse/better party, depending lol? 💦

• Haha
Reactions: LeftyJason
Did your Tikka get too excited in this here photoshoot?

Or was there a dog involved?

Or did there occur a worse/better party, depending lol? 💦
Have 2 dogs but that carpet came with the house. Previous owners had a dog too. Laundry room carpet in the unfinished basement. Future bathroom area. Eventually get to move drains to accommodate the tub the wife wants.
20210529_114431.jpg

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Reactions: carbonbased
What stock options are there if I like the ergonomics of the McMillan Game Scout and want to keep using the CTR bottom metal? I am in Europe so actually being able to purchase a stock and get it here is an uphill battle in many cases.

My CTR currently lives in a KRG Bravo, which works very well for range work. However, I mostly use this rifle for hunting now and I find it a bit clumsy. I'm looking to lighten and slim it down a bit (so the first and obvious bit is replacing the Kahles K624i and Spuhr ISMS with something lighter). The hunting I do with this rifle is mainly stalking and sneaking around fields to protect them from boar. Shooting is almost exclusively done from tall sticks or other forms of rest.

The Manners EH1TK looks fantastic, but lead times are pretty bad I hear. Same goes for McMillan, and I've seen people write about poor fit with the Mesa/Pure Precision Altitude stock. The Kroseg Tikka Competition stock looks fantastic but they do not currently produce a CTR bottom metal inlet.

Why not just use the original stock? Get the vertical Tikka pistol grip, use low scope rings and a scope with 44mm or smaller objective.

I don't see any accuracy or precision difference between the stock or chassis. As the stock is plastic, I have no sentiment towards it and any scratches and bumps during the hunt is of no consequence.

What stock options are there if I like the ergonomics of the McMillan Game Scout and want to keep using the CTR bottom metal? I am in Europe so actually being able to purchase a stock and get it here is an uphill battle in many cases.

My CTR currently lives in a KRG Bravo, which works very well for range work. However, I mostly use this rifle for hunting now and I find it a bit clumsy. I'm looking to lighten and slim it down a bit (so the first and obvious bit is replacing the Kahles K624i and Spuhr ISMS with something lighter). The hunting I do with this rifle is mainly stalking and sneaking around fields to protect them from boar. Shooting is almost exclusively done from tall sticks or other forms of rest.

The Manners EH1TK looks fantastic, but lead times are pretty bad I hear. Same goes for McMillan, and I've seen people write about poor fit with the Mesa/Pure Precision Altitude stock. The Kroseg Tikka Competition stock looks fantastic but they do not currently produce a CTR bottom metal inlet.
@ejg

PSE E-Tac

Reactions: Scotch_egg

Have a Look at German Gun Stock Reaper Hunt Stock

Why not just use the original stock? Get the vertical Tikka pistol grip, use low scope rings and a scope with 44mm or smaller objective.

I don't see any accuracy or precision difference between the stock or chassis. As the stock is plastic, I have no sentiment towards it and any scratches and bumps during the hunt is of no consequence.

then you wouldnt like what my tikka looks like in the mdt ess. scratches all over the chassis. its a tool, treat it as such. i got mine out of the tupperware stock as it was nose heavy, varmint barrel. now its way more balanced.

Reactions: Darryle

If you aren't dead set on McMillan, I'd suggest looking at PSE-Composites, should be easier to get here in Europe.

I'm not dead set on the McMillan, but I find a lot of stocks expect shooters to have really long fingers - I don't, and I struggle to find a relaxed position for my shooting hand with a lot of stocks. GRS has obnoxiously big grips in some models at least (I owned one for a couple of years and never came to terms with it). I also don't like the sharp almost square edges in the GGS grips but I have never handled the Reaper model in person.

Something like the KKC but in fibreglass or carbon would be awesome. I really like the ergonomics of it (my other T3 sits in one) but wear and tear on the laminate coupled with rain means they age poorly.

20240805_230257.jpg

T3X Lite SS got a face lift today. Really wasn't fond of the SS on Green web of the B&C after a while.

It's had some crappy effort mods done to it and it's the ugly duckling in the safe, but I love it to bits.

Really toying with the idea of changing the SHV out for a 1-6 Razor. Anybody have pictures of a longer barreled tikka with an LPVO?

As far as other stock options go for a T3X especially if you're wanting to use the ctr bottom metal and mags is the Grayboe Phoenix. I had my CTR in a KRB Bravo that was setup to use AICS mags and I'm really glad I went to the Grayboe that uses the Tikka mags. I've just been to busy to put the KRG Bravo in the classifieds, but it's getting sold. Some people prefer that stock/chasis, but it's not even comparable to the Grayboe in terms of quality in my opinion.

Attachments

• 20240324_183536.jpg
    20240324_183536.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 112
As far as other stock options go for a T3X especially if you're wanting to use the ctr bottom metal and mags is the Grayboe Phoenix. I had my CTR in a KRB Bravo that was setup to use AICS mags and I'm really glad I went to the Grayboe that uses the Tikka mags. I've just been to busy to put the KRG Bravo in the classifieds, but it's getting sold. Some people prefer that stock/chasis, but it's not even comparable to the Grayboe in terms of quality in my opinion.

I’ve had 3 different phoenixs, 2 of which were cut for the CTR bottom metal. I like them, but all 3 had issues. One cracked at the recoil lug, another wasn’t cut evenly so the action wouldn’t sit level in the stock, and a third had zero shift issues. Each time Grayboe was excellent to deal with and took care of me, but 3 times and your out in my experience.

Had 6 or 7 bravos and never a problem with any of them. Just so consistent

Damn, that is is a gorgeous rifle.

I've had feeding issues with my 223 CTR and the bravo. Cant remember if that was with the metal or poly MDT mags, or both. Will have to just suck it up and get some AI/KRG mags if the problem persists. The whole, buy once cry once.... lol 🤷‍♂️

Damn, that is is a gorgeous rifle.

I've had feeding issues with my 223 CTR and the bravo. Cant remember if that was with the metal or poly MDT mags, or both. Will have to just suck it up and get some AI/KRG mags if the problem persists. The whole, buy once cry once.... lol 🤷‍♂️
Poly mags and tikkas don't work well together at all.

EDIT: too generalized of a statement. Forgot that the Mdt polymers generally work. It's the Magpul that don't.

Last edited:
Somewhat disagree... I had acceptable results with the MDT .223 mags in my T3 when I had it in a KRG X-Ray. Feeding was absolutely reliable, once I got the X-Ray magwell adjusted properly (a bit of a task, I might add), though not quite as smooth as with the OEM Tikka single-stack poly mags, which is what I ultimately went back to: smoooth...;)

ETA: picture of that rifle, in the X-Ray, about halfway down page 5 in this thread if anyone's interested...

Last edited:
Reactions: tacoman69
Somewhat disagree... I had acceptable results with the MDT .223 mags in my T3 when I had it in a KRG X-Ray. Feeding was absolutely reliable, once I got the X-Ray magwell adjusted properly (a bit of a task, I might add), though not quite as smooth as with the OEM Tikka single-stack poly mags, which is what I ultimately went back to: smoooth...;)

ETA: picture of that rifle, in the X-Ray, about halfway down page 5 in this thread if anyone's interested...

huh I've have 5 223 and 6.5cm mdt poly mags (10rd, 5rd, 3rd flush) and they all feed fine in a bravo and hnt26. Only aics that ever gave me problems was a metal mdt one
Edited above. I forgot that the Mdt poly mags generally work.

Reactions: tacoman69 and plong

EDIT: too generalized of a statement. Forgot that the Mdt polymers generally work. It's the Magpul that don't.
I have a MDT mag in Manners T6a. The first one runs perfectly, ordered a second brand new MDT. Nothing but problems, had to get a new follower, still didn't feed right. Gave up for now, got tired of messing with it. Although my Tikka has a Bartlien on it, not sure if the breech face is any different from factory. Do the factory barrels have some kind of feed ramp?

I’ve had 3 different phoenixs, 2 of which were cut for the CTR bottom metal. I like them, but all 3 had issues. One cracked at the recoil lug, another wasn’t cut evenly so the action wouldn’t sit level in the stock, and a third had zero shift issues. Each time Grayboe was excellent to deal with and took care of me, but 3 times and your out in my experience.

Had 6 or 7 bravos and never a problem with any of them. Just so consistent
It's weird how we've had the opposite experience. I've only had one KRG Bravo and I've had nothing but feeding problems with it. My grayboe has been a miracle as I was looking for anything better than my factory stock which I still liked more than my bravo. I'm glad grayboe took care of you, but I don't blame you for being done with them either. Three strikes and you're out is more than fair.

Reactions: YotaEer
View attachment 8477857
New glass sooner than expected!!
Is that a CTR barrel on there? If so, did you get the UM low or high rings? Nevermind. I look back through the thread and found where you said it was a .243. I just got the same scope and am wondering if I should go with the high or low rings from UM. UM said go with the highs but it looks like you have a lot of space between the bell and the barrel.

Last edited:
Is that a CTR barrel on there? If so, did you get the UM low or high rings? Nevermind. I look back through the thread and found where you said it was a .243. I just got the same scope and am wondering if I should go with the high or low rings from UM. UM said go with the highs but it looks like you have a lot of space between the bell and the barrel.
Those are medium rings actually so if you are running a 44mm obj or less I’d go with lows. If you’re using a 50mm obj then stick with mediums. There is a guide on their site and it seems to be pretty accurate so far with two different rifles and two different optics for me.

Proof offers prefits for the Tikka as well as a few different companies. All depends on what kinda set up you want.

Proof offers prefits for the Tikka as well as a few different companies. All depends on what kinda set up you want.
I saw the cf wrapped barrels on their site. Can they handle strings of 10 shots in a row without getting too hot and losing precision? I was worried the lack of mass would be a hindrance compared to their stainless counterparts.

I saw the cf wrapped barrels on their site. Can they handle strings of 10 shots in a row without getting too hot and losing precision? I was worried the lack of mass would be a hindrance compared to their stainless counterparts.
They also have steel barrels in a competition contour that’s plenty heavy. Only downside to proof is you are limited to their caliber selection which is small. If you want better options on cartridge check patriot valley arms, preferred barrel blanks or other places that can do prefits.

Reactions: Tbd-96