Unimpressed with new stuff at the range

Rust

Couldn't think of anything clever
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Florida
So with hunting season around the corner I reached into the safe and pulled out my pre-39 model 70 that belonged to my grandfather and wandered to the range. Simple rig, original walnut stock, steel butt plate, original dog bone barrel with original irons and front sight hood, bedded, 6X scope, 150 gr BT over IMR 4895 (actual IMR 4895 in the tin cans, still have a few left).

I fired my obligatory five rounds, collected the target, cleaned the rifle and cased it. Still shoots better than moa. That rifle has put meat on the table going on a century. Looking around at others on the range, one or two not having much success with their brandy new rigs I realized how perfectly satisfactory the old rig is.

Bottom line is no matter how much you reinvent the wheel, it's still a wheel.

Simple old single shot 44 mag has been my go to for ten years. I changed it up this year with a 7-08. Hope it doesn’t let me down

So with hunting season around the corner I reached into the safe and pulled out my pre-39 model 70 that belonged to my grandfather and wandered to the range. Simple rig, original walnut stock, steel butt plate, original dog bone barrel with original irons and front sight hood, bedded, 6X scope, 150 gr BT over IMR 4895 (actual IMR 4895 in the tin cans, still have a few left).

I fired my obligatory five rounds, collected the target, cleaned the rifle and cased it. Still shoots better than moa. That rifle has put meat on the table going on a century. Looking around at others on the range, one or two not having much success with their brandy new rigs I realized how perfectly satisfactory the old rig is.

Bottom line is no matter how much you reinvent the wheel, it's still a wheel.
I am impressed

You touched a nerve. Yesterday while reading an article about the 1909 Colt New Service, double action revolver I was struck on how little firearm design as actually changed. According to the article, the 1909 was a tough old bird chambered in .45 Colt (not ACP). Other than refinement, how really different is it from the latest Cold Python’s now coming off the line in 2024? Yet in 1909 Ford was just really ramping up production on the Model T. The latest and greatest racing cars of the era, the 1914 Mercedes Benz that won the French GP just before the war started were still using single OHC were still five years into the future. Compared to say a modern Miata (much less a C-8 Corvette) looked not much more refined than a chuck wagon. And Bleriot was just crossing the English Channel in his very underpowered monoplane that was really a piano wire paper contraption.

Yet through all this, we still hang onto the basic action of the 1911, double action revolvers, Marlin Lever action rifles and clones. Perhaps the most modern bolt actions (the Remington Push Feed action) is roughly 75 years old. And many still prefer the CRF action of the Mauser dating back to then end of the 1800’s. Finally we still seem to prefer the Armalite pattern semi autos that were designed in 1958 or so.

So, outside of Trounds and that Rocket jet pistol of the 1960’s, innovation seemingly reached its peak in the 1950’s and we have strived, successfully so, to make what we have better.

Point. Sometimes what works, works, leave it alone outside of improving the craftsmanship of building it.

I'm glad you're happy with what you brought but why is their lack of success an indictment on their gear instead of them?
I didn't buy it,I inherited it, third generation of my family to use this rifle. The point on the brandy new gear was the brandy new gear won't make you a better marksman. Just like a fancy hammer won't make you a better carpenter if you can't drive a nail to begin with.

Yet through all this, we still hang onto the basic action of the 1911, double action revolvers, Marlin Lever action rifles and clones. Perhaps the most modern bolt actions (the Remington Push Feed action) is roughly 75 years old. And many still prefer the CRF action of the Mauser dating back to then end of the 1800’s. Finally we still seem to prefer the Armalite pattern semi autos that were designed in 1958 or so.

So, outside of Trounds and that Rocket jet pistol of the 1960’s, innovation seemingly reached its peak in the 1950’s and we have strived, successfully so, to make what we have better.
Yeah, metallic cartridge game has peaked. We’ve advanced in materials and production, but not in design. Yet. Once we’ve moved past brass cased bottleneck rifle cartridges we’ll have truly moved into a new era of small arms development.

Spoken like a FNG.
Get the stick out of your ass grandpa. I grew up shooting single-shots with beads and no rear sights. Trust me, I’ve paid my dues, and I respect the old school, and still have quite a few old and antique weapons in my collection. The fact is, Fudd is a matter of attitude, not what’s in your hands. Fudd attitude is why Remington failed. Fudd attitude is why Polymer80 was just allowed to be sued out of existence. Fudd mentality is exactly why the ATF & NFA even still exists…

DDE5A80D-CC6E-4866-A1B2-6E1F077910AE.jpeg

4C50B910-1463-42B9-9DBE-A1F121D9152F.jpeg

Get the stick out of your ass grandpa. I grew up shooting single-shots with beads and no rear sights. Trust me, I’ve paid my dues, and I respect the old school, and still have quite a few old and antique weapons in my collection. The fact is, Fudd is a matter of attitude, not what’s in your hands. Fudd attitude is why Remington failed. Fudd attitude is why Polymer80 was just allowed to be sued out of existence. Fudd mentality is exactly why the ATF & NFA even still exists…
Butt hurt much?

Reactions: sloporsche
You're the one who started in immediately with the the FNG shit after posting your unsolicited Fudd-ass opinion as a fact. Don't lecture others about your "brandy new" level of butthurt and project it on to them.
Heh... Carlos Hathcock didn't need all those gadgets. We used to be MARKSMEN.
It's the Indian, not the arrow.
Someone who has mastered their Savage will outshoot someone with their new PRS rig.

Did I miss any of the greatest hits?

Must be your first time at a range before hunting season.

A true sportsman /advocate would have offered to help people struggling and make sure their guns are setup to safety hunt.

Not come here and brag about his superiority becuase he has a little dick.
Why-uh-why would you be thinking about this guy's wedding tackle. I've never met a dude I liked, or disliked, and thought anything whatsoever about his penis. 🤔

Yeah, metallic cartridge game has peaked. We’ve advanced in materials and production, but not in design. Yet. Once we’ve moved past brass cased bottleneck rifle cartridges we’ll have truly moved into a new era of small arms development.
I’m still waiting for my single-man portable 8,000 fps, 450gr slug rail gun. I bet my aim would really be good then!

1/4 moa at 10,000 meters will be childs play.

Why-uh-why would you be thinking about this guy's wedding tackle. I've never met a dude I liked, or disliked, and thought anything whatsoever about his penis. 🤔
That's a lie... What's the first thing you would think of if you saw this dumpster fire pile of shit driving down the road...

One word… Overcompensation.

And yes, I took this picture driving to work one morning...

IMG_7339.jpeg

Reactions: Charmingmander
That's a lie... What's the first thing you would think of if you saw this dumpster fire pile of shit driving down the road...

View attachment 8493328
Saw this at a highschool function. Note, the thing is taking 3 parking spaces. So, yeah, I memed it…

IMG_5125.jpeg

View attachment 8493328
Some people like guns. Some people like old cars. Some people like boats. Some people like big pickups. Some people like trucks. Thats why there are gun shows, boat shows, rruck shows and car shows. Smooth brains think others should all share their interests.

You sound like a fully vaxxed chick saying dudes with guns are compensating for a tiny penis.

I see it the same as manual transmissions.

Not everyone had access or opportunity to learn the right way. I still argue with some older family members about shooting. And struggle to teach modern applications of it to them.

I was taught to shoot but not what many here would call properly. I got by. Only ever got to try manual once. Make an effort to help others learn instead of just shitting on them. It's a major issue we aught to be remedying.

Reactions: DeathBeforeDismount
Some people like guns. Some people like old cars. Some people like boats. Some people like big pickups. Some people like trucks. Thats why there are gun shows, boat shows, rruck shows and car shows. Smooth brains think others should all share their interests.

You sound like a fully vaxxed chick saying dudes with guns are compensating for a tiny penis.
That truck looks like a company show vehicle. The folks who drive Bentleys are more likely to be looking for social clout by their choices.

That truck looks like a company show vehicle. The folks who drive Bentleys are more likely to be looking for social clout by their choices.
I have a friend that works in the banking industry. He drove a pickup. The unwritten rule was/is that to move up in that world he needed to drive a nicer car. He now drives a Porsche, and has has moved up from when I met him.

Reactions: FuhQ

And some guys like to suck dicks and shoot savages. Doesnt mean we aren't going to make fun of them.

Reactions: FuhQ

You’re projecting… And no, I don’t think everyone should share the same hobbies, but I’ve been in the lifted truck and off-road scene for about 25 years, and over the last 10 or so, there’s been a level of retardation that has taken over, and trucks like that are a big part of the problem. We even have FAIL threads making fun of these people (on lifted truck sites), because it’s so over the top stupid. You’re going to tell me that those squatted trucks don’t look retarded, and like a dog with worms dragging its ass?

You’re projecting… And no, I don’t think everyone should share the same hobbies, but I’ve been in the lifted truck and off-road scene for about 25 years, and over the last 10 or so, there’s been a level of retardation that has taken over, and trucks like that are a big part of the problem. We even have FAIL threads making fun of these people (on lifted truck sites), because it’s so over the top stupid. You’re going to tell me that those squatted trucks don’t look retarded, and like a dog with worms dragging its ass?
Na. You're a fng retard and anyone who has been here long knows it. Now go suck another scope out of Arkan's dick.

Are you the retard on the lifted truck sights too? Just kidding. We know you are. 🤣🤣🤣

I see it the same as manual transmissions.

Not everyone had access or opportunity to learn the right way. I still argue with some older family members about shooting. And struggle to teach modern applications of it to them.

I was taught to shoot but not what many here would call properly. I got by. Only ever got to try manual once. Make an effort to help others learn instead of just shitting on them. It's a major issue we aught to be remedying.
Same. Been the "gun guy" since I was about 10. Everyone including friends of friends will call and ask for advice or help. Granted with the popularity of the internet and youtube, its no where near what it was like 10+ years ago. I still enjoy taking new shooters out and letting them get a taste of shooting some really cool and rare stuff.

Things like bedding stocks and scope rails, Lapping/Truing Rings and receiver faces down to just helping people get their scope mounted properly and then getting them a good bore sight so they can not waste a bunch of time trying to zero.

Most guys don't have someone to teach them the "right" way. Very few people actually have the skills and experience to be able to do alot of this stuff properly. We dont look down on them because they never had people to either teach them or never got the "bug".

It would be like a guy who decides to learn everything about engines and how to take them appart, rebuild them, mod them out ect as a hobby. I sure as fuck dont care or want to learn that, but if I am having an engine issue, I would be glad to have a buddy who could atleast give me solid advice before i waste time and money.

The time right before hunting season is the worst. Everyone either has bought new guns/optics or is trying to zero for the season. Many have no idea how any of it works, other than when you pull the trigger a bullet comes out. Alot of clubs set aside days leading up to hunting season where the public can come in and people will help them get zeroed. Its a great service to help those that need it.

I know I feel a whole lot safer in the woods when the other yahoo is properly zeroed and understands basic ballistics and trajectory so they aren't sending rounds into the next county. The Schools don't teach it, DNR doesn't teach it and most parents don't understand it. Instead of being a dick and looking down, go spent 10 minutes and help them out. You might make a new friend, business associate, hunting buddy in the process. You wouldn't believe the access I have gotten to do and see cool shit just by being nice and helping people at the range.

I know I feel a whole lot safer in the woods when the other yahoo is properly zeroed and understands basic ballistics and trajectory so they aren't sending rounds into the next county.
IDK. I might prefer that the “if its brown, it’s down” crowd and their compatriots; “if you see movement in a bush, shoot it in the tush” group not be shooting true to poa…

(I just made the second one up, though it does accurately describe a non trivial segment of the orange army.)

Same. Been the "gun guy" since I was about 10. Everyone including friends of friends will call and ask for advice or help. Granted with the popularity of the internet and youtube, its no where near what it was like 10+ years ago. I still enjoy taking new shooters out and letting them get a taste of shooting some really cool and rare stuff.

Things like bedding stocks and scope rails, Lapping/Truing Rings and receiver faces down to just helping people get their scope mounted properly and then getting them a good bore sight so they can not waste a bunch of time trying to zero.

Most guys don't have someone to teach them the "right" way. Very few people actually have the skills and experience to be able to do alot of this stuff properly. We dont look down on them because they never had people to either teach them or never got the "bug".

It would be like a guy who decides to learn everything about engines and how to take them appart, rebuild them, mod them out ect as a hobby. I sure as fuck dont care or want to learn that, but if I am having an engine issue, I would be glad to have a buddy who could atleast give me solid advice before i waste time and money.

The time right before hunting season is the worst. Everyone either has bought new guns/optics or is trying to zero for the season. Many have no idea how any of it works, other than when you pull the trigger a bullet comes out. Alot of clubs set aside days leading up to hunting season where the public can come in and people will help them get zeroed. Its a great service to help those that need it.

I know I feel a whole lot safer in the woods when the other yahoo is properly zeroed and understands basic ballistics and trajectory so they aren't sending rounds into the next county. The Schools don't teach it, DNR doesn't teach it and most parents don't understand it. Instead of being a dick and looking down, go spent 10 minutes and help them out. You might make a new friend, business associate, hunting buddy in the process. You wouldn't believe the access I have gotten to do and see cool shit just by being nice and helping people at the range.
And we are to believe you are this super helpful individual. Runnig around the range helping all the new guys and singing kumbaya. Sure seems to check out based on what we know. 🤣🤣🤣

IDK. I might prefer that the “if its brown, it’s down” crowd and their compatriots; “if you see movement in a bush, shoot it in the tush” group not be shooting true to poa…

(I just made the second one up, though it does accurately describe a non trivial segment of the orange army.)
A buddy got shot in the face with a crossbow about 15 years ago walking to his stand. He amazingly survived and sued the dude for like 2M bucks.

Its funny to joke but people die every year from retards in the woods shooting at shit before IDing their target.

Reactions: sloporsche and FuhQ
And we are to believe you are this super helpful individual. Runnig around the range helping all the new guys and singing kumbaya. Sure seems to check out based on what we know. 🤣🤣🤣
If you actually got out and shot and met some people, you would know. Hard to do when you live in the pit.