• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action

LONG RANGE VUDOO CHALLENGE

After reading the Vudoo Instagram post on long range shooting, I propose a long range shooting challenge. It could be simple as any small caliber rimfire cartridge, any distance, any size target and the percentage of hits for any number of rounds. However, a bit more structure is necessary for competition.

One set of possibilities is distance in 100yd increments starting at 200yd and going to maximum limit bullet can travel. I know 200yd is "short range" but it is the longest distance at my range. The next specification are the target sizes which could be disks with diameters in 1.0 MOA increments starting at 1.0 MOA and going as large as one wants. Finally, the number of shots which could be in increments of 10 starting with ten. The score is the percentage of holes/impacts. A lot of possible catagories from which a few would become popular unless you wanted to compete against yourself.

The shooter with the greater percentage of impacts in a catagory would be the current gold medalist, second the silver and third the bronze. For example, "Dead-Eye" Dan is the current gold medalist in the 800yd 3MOA class with 85% impacts, "Kentucky Windage" Ken is silver with 53% impacts and "Blind" Bill is bronze with 29%. In case of ties in percentage with different numbers of shots, highest number of shots wins.

The allowable support could be anything or restricted. I would really like to see what the "Hotel Sierra" benchrest shooters could do with their single shot Vudoo rigs and one-piece mechanical rests at long distance on a dead calm day. Of course everyone would shoot on dead calm days if they could.

No time limit, just all shots in one sitting.

All kinds of strategy possible. For example on a dead calm day, a "magic" box of ammo and you are in the zone with 20 impacts in 30 shots for 67%. Do you go for broke trying to increase that percentage with 40 shots or perhaps the whole box?

Could start a thread where everyone posts their own results with a photo of the paper target or steel target and your rig if you want.

All the above are suggestions because the hour of long range Vudoo shooting is upon us.

UPDATE: 2022-03-08 1530 PST

I created a post, Results for Long Range Shooting with Small Caliber Rimfire Ammunition, which reflect a day's evolution in my thinking on the subject. Really more about just having fun doing long range shooting. Anything goes but recording more information than is often done.

Last edited:
LONG RANGE VUDOO CHALLENGE

After reading the Vudoo Instagram post on long range shooting, I propose a long range shooting challenge. It could be simple as any small caliber rimfire cartridge, any distance, any size target and the percentage of hits for any number of rounds. However, a bit more structure is necessary for competition.

One set of possibilities is distance in 100yd increments starting at 200yd and going to maximum limit bullet can travel. I know 200yd is "short range" but it is the longest distance at my range. The next specification are the target sizes which could be disks with diameters in 1.0 MOA increments starting at 1.0 MOA and going as large as one wants. Finally, the number of shots which could be in increments of 10 starting with ten. The score is the percentage of holes/impacts. A lot of possible catagories from which a few would become popular unless you wanted to compete against yourself.

The shooter with the greater percentage of impacts in a catagory would be the current gold medalist, second the silver and third the bronze. For example, "Dead-Eye" Dan is the current gold medalist in the 800yd 3MOA class with 85% impacts, "Kentucky Windage" Ken is silver with 53% impacts and "Blind" Bill is bronze with 29%. In case of ties in percentage with different numbers of shots, highest number of shots wins.

The allowable support could be anything or restricted. I would really like to see what the "Hotel Sierra" benchrest shooters could do with their single shot Vudoo rigs and one-piece mechanical rests at long distance on a dead calm day. Of course everyone would shoot on dead calm days if they could.

No time limit, just all shots in one sitting.

All kinds of strategy possible. For example on a dead calm day, a "magic" box of ammo and you are in the zone with 20 impacts in 30 shots for 67%. Do you go for broke trying to increase that percentage with 40 shots or perhaps the whole box?

Could start a thread where everyone posts their own results with a photo of the paper target or steel target and your rig if you want.

All the above are suggestions because the hour of long range Vudoo shooting is upon us.

I've been doing 50 shots at 350 yards. Sort of a copy of justin amateur's 50 at 200. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/50-rounds-at-350-yards.6949113/ I think another thread would be good.

I've been doing 50 shots at 350 yards. Sort of a copy of justin amateur's 50 at 200. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/50-rounds-at-350-yards.6949113/ I think another thread would be good.
@BillOH

Not to embarrass another what are your group sizes? But I have a drum to beat about difference between accuracy groups and precision groups. A precision group measures the dispersion about the center of the group, which can be significantly displaced from the AP. An accuracy group measures the number of shots within a predetermined area, usually a circle. Good accuracy requires good precision but also good centering of the group about the AP and therefore is more difficult than a precision group. Since the aim, pun intended, is to hit what you are aiming at, I would argue good accuracy groups are more relevant than good precision groups.

Rick

@BillOH

Not to embarrass another what are your group sizes? But I have a drum to beat about difference between accuracy groups and precision groups. A precision group measures the dispersion about the center of the group, which can be significantly displaced from the AP. An accuracy group measures the number of shots within a predetermined area, usually a circle. Good accuracy requires good precision but also good centering of the group about the AP and therefore is more difficult than a precision group. Since the aim, pun intended, is to hit what you are aiming at, I would argue good accuracy groups are more relevant than good precision groups.

Rick

I went back and re-read my thread where I shot many different steel targets. A 15" square, an A/C IPSC and a Pepper Popper. It really depends on the weather, ammo etc. Some days I do pretty well and other days I'm just wasting ammo. For accuracy, I fire a limited number of rounds, often 50, and only counted hits. Precision group size went from 15" down to 5". I'm not embarrassed, I'm just having fun. :)

Reactions: nikonNUT
Vudoo Nubie looking for help…

- Bought my first Vudoo… it’s a new 360 w/MTU 20”
- started to drop it in my MPA ba comp and noticed that the action screws were too long… Can someone help me with the right spec on what I need?
- Also, I went to the site to pick up a couple of mags and really couldn’t tell the difference between the 3 shown.. What’s the right path?

I know these are really basic questions but I appreciate all the advice

B

Vudoo Nubie looking for help…

- Bought my first Vudoo… it’s a new 360 w/MTU 20”
- started to drop it in my MPA ba comp and noticed that the action screws were too long… Can someone help me with the right spec on what I need?
- Also, I went to the site to pick up a couple of mags and really couldn’t tell the difference between the 3 shown.. What’s the right path?

I know these are really basic questions but I appreciate all the advice

B
Oddly enough a friend just got his Vudoo and has the same issue with too long action screws on a MPA. Told him to contact MPA but tagging this in case anyone has a different answer or solution.

Guessing 3/8” on the back which is fairly easy to cut since it’s visible and I can make sure I’m fully engaged on the threads… the fron screw is hidden making it a bit more challenging

I’m thinking someone has had to deal with this

Guessing 3/8” on the back which is fairly easy to cut since it’s visible and I can make sure I’m fully engaged on the threads… the fron screw is hidden making it a bit more challenging

I’m thinking someone has had to deal with this
Seeing as Vudoo sells a complete rifle with the ba comp, why not just contact Vudoo? Maybe they'll send you the correct screws.

I would screw the screw into the front action hole all the way and then put tape around and unscrew and count how many threads showing. That is how many are in the action. Then stick the screw in the chassis and pushing it through the front stock hole count how many threads are showing. Then a little math and maybe take one extra thread off for some room in the front hole and then cut. Simple.

I went back and re-read my thread where I shot many different steel targets. A 15" square, an A/C IPSC and a Pepper Popper. It really depends on the weather, ammo etc. Some days I do pretty well and other days I'm just wasting ammo. For accuracy, I fire a limited number of rounds, often 50, and only counted hits. Precision group size went from 15" down to 5". I'm not embarrassed, I'm just having fun. :)
@BillOH

I have rethought the situation and will start a thread today on long range shooting. Basically anything goes, very big tent. Perhaps you can be the first post with results. You are absolutely correct, it is all about having fun. I am never embarrassed because there will be better and worse shooters but only your shooting counts. I am going to shoot at 198yd and use a circular 0.30 mrad (=1.03MOA=2.14"diameter) target for supported shooting and a circular 1.50 mrad(=5.16MOA=10.70"diameter) target for standing offhand shooting. I will be happy if I have 5 hits in 25 shots for standing offhand. Have to start somewhere!

Reactions: BillOH
Like it.

Could maybe use a simple Google Sheets based online form, that feeds into a Leader Board?

I'm happy to help with that if needed.
G'day: @m239

Back in the day worked with a lot of good blokes from OZ in PNG.

I rethought the situation and will start a thread today that is much more inclusive. Read it and see what you think, then we can have an email yarn. It is sad people do long range shooting and do not include more information. I could say I shot my Vudoo with 22LR and had hits at 1760yd, if a 22LR travels that far. But the situation was the target was an old bus and I had 2 hits out of 100 shots on a dead calm day.

Thank you for the input Gents

Follow up... Thought I would share what Vudoo had to say:
"They have seen where the action screws are a bit long for the MPA Chassis. Recomendation is to either source the correct length locally, or
cut the current screws down to size. To determine proper length for the front action screw - Use a sharpie or marking dye on the end of the
screw to give some visable reference on if it is too long."

The rep was very willing to help

Last edited:
G'day: @m239

Back in the day worked with a lot of good blokes from OZ in PNG.

I rethought the situation and will start a thread today that is much more inclusive. Read it and see what you think, then we can have an email yarn. It is sad people do long range shooting and do not include more information. I could say I shot my Vudoo with 22LR and had hits at 1760yd, if a 22LR travels that far. But the situation was the target was an old bus and I had 2 hits out of 100 shots on a dead calm day.
Hey Rick,

Glad you survived PNG ;-)

That all sounds good.

And a clear set of 'rules' will keep things fair for members who don't have to old buses or 1760 yard ranges ;)

Hey Rick,

Glad you survived PNG ;-)

That all sounds good.

And a clear set of 'rules' will keep things fair for members who don't have to old buses or 1760 yard ranges ;)
@m239:

Living and working among cannibals had its moments. A bit more drama with the crocs. Your countrymen were the chopper pilots and they liked to fly low over the crocs on the mud banks to scare them into the rivers. At beginning of the day better than a strong cup of joe to get the blood circulating.

By now I hope you have seen the thread I started. Other challenges on SH are competitive in nature which is fine. I wanted a thread which was about the shooter, individual marksmanship and attaining individual goals, Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot with what anybody else can or cannot do. I only compete with myself, in part because my marksmanship is mediocre on a good day and pathetic on a poor. In part because loosing to an arsehole who happens to be a good shot would ruin my day.

However, whatever floats your boat. If a group of shooters want to compete, by mutual agreement agree on the specifications, say distance, target shape and size, number of shots and performance metric, say number of hits, but anything measurable. And additional restrictions such as maximum time, allowed supports, what have you.

One idea where your generous offer could come into play would be marksmanship categories, like the military. For example, 15 hits in 25 shots at a circular target 3" in diameter at 300yd could be master sniper category. So the competition would be with yourself to improve your marksmanship to that level. You would not be competing with anybody else directly, only perhaps for bragging rights among your mates.

Bottom line, minimal rules, maximal fun. You individually or as a group define how you want to shoot long range.

Reactions: fredfish
So totally off topic but last weekend I was wiping down my bolt and heard the dreaded "click" as I de-cocked the bolt. I wasn't about to take it apart so I ordered the tool from Vudoo and explained my situation describing myself as a "whiney" and "needy" customer. :LOL: Arek took care of me and upgraded me to 3-day select shipping (no charge) so I could go shooting. Just wanted to give them a shout out as Vudoo are GREAT folks to deal with! We all already knew that but a humble and heartfelt thank you is in order!

"They have seen where the action screws are a bit long for the MPA Chassis. Recomendation is to either source the correct length locally, or
cut the current screws down to size. To determine proper length for the front action screw - Use a sharpie or marking dye on the end of the

I've had to cut the socket head capscrews that come with the pillar kits that came with several stocks from various makers. They're seldom the correct length; nor have I been able to find the absolute correct length at various hardware stores. I usually wind up putting a cut-off wheel in my Dremel and cut the screws to the right length. Been doing this for years, and don't foresee a better solution, living out in the sticks in western Kansas - the drive to the nearest town with an ACE hardware store is 30+ miles, and it's 60+ miles to the nearest Fastenal - and with Biden's wonderful policies hiking the price of fuel up the way they have, jumping in the truck to drive for a couple of hours isn't just a matter of the time it takes. Our little autoparts store has some selection, and I'm glad they keep at least what they do have. I've looked through the catalog that Fastenal used to supply, as well as MSC's huge catalog, and if someone makes these screws in smaller increments of lengths that would make it possible to buy the exact length required, I haven't found them.

Reactions: fredfish
I picked up several lengths of this one from Ace Hardware as a trial and error.

Attachments

• 0F269940-FF6F-4BCE-B398-3E626838631A.jpeg
    0F269940-FF6F-4BCE-B398-3E626838631A.jpeg
    736.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Before you cut screw, put a nut or 2 on in case you mess up threads cut with fine tooth hacksaw.

I cut the rear of the barricade stop with a Dremel to push it back flush with the mag opening. Pushed the double weights and the mirage shield forward so it makes the forend look longer. And then used all the leftover bits and pieces on the other Xylo. Love it

Reactions: littlepod
Anyone have intel on the VGW fast twist barrel for 22LR? Perhaps I have missed something but topic has gone silent.

My understanding was a fast twist barrel had potential to improve long range accuracy for conventional lead bullets although the greatest potential for improvement was with copper bullets.

A couple of years ago I asked VGW if I could purchase a fast twist barrel and was told yes but such barrels were experimental and accuracy could not be guaranteed. Some barrels had improved accuracy and some degraded accuracy relative to standard 1:16 barrel.

There was a discussion on SH between ballistics gurus on advantages and disadvantages of higher than standard spin rate. It was the opinion of one guru that a higher than standard spin rate improves the BC over part of the trajectory but the disadvantages outweighed the advantages. If the bullet is imbalanced by even a slight amount there can be substantial lateral throw-off as it exists the muzzle. Conclusion, if not at present, high spin will have its day with copper bullets or more homogeneous lead bullets.

Still nothing public for fast twists at Vudoo. They have enough demand for 16T that they're not resourcing broad fast twist work. A few people have custom done barrels with 12T and 14T out there on their Vudoos.
I have four of five 10 twist Shilen Ratchets shipping to the lab. Took nearly a year to get a partial order….

MB

I have four of five 10 twist Shilen Ratchets shipping to the lab. Took nearly a year to get a partial order….

MB
@RAVAGE88:

Waters run deep and still at VGW!

Are these for further testing with either lead bullets or copper bullets or both? If testing is complete are these for proof-of-concept with production barrels? If are production barrels, mirabile dictu, for sale to the befuddled masses yearning for more accuracy?

R.

Reactions: RAVAGE88
@RAVAGE88:

Waters run deep and still at VGW!

Are these for further testing with either lead bullets or copper bullets or both? If testing is complete are these for proof-of-concept with production barrels? If are production barrels, mirabile dictu, for sale to the befuddled masses yearning for more accuracy?

R.
Yessir, chugga, chugga, chugga....

Haven't considered them for copper, but a good thought to look into. I have a few plans and we should stay in touch....

MB

Reactions: rick137
Yessir, chugga, chugga, chugga....

Haven't considered them for copper, but a good thought to look into. I have a few plans and we should stay in touch....

MB
@RAVAGE88

What timing. Just received my first one-piece mechanical rest. Am going to try free recoil benchrest shooting to complement my standing offhand shooting.

Using a one-piece support compare accuracy of a Vudoo with fast twist barrel to a center fire rifle with 223 Rem at 200yd. Which rig could keep more shots in a 0.3 mrad disk at 200yd?

Exciting!

R.

Reactions: Williwaw
Question for the gurus. Baby's first bath is coming up :LOL: and I have all the good stuff (VFG felts, Bore Tech goodies, etc.) and wanted to ask what cleaning solution do ya'll suggest out of Bore Tech C4 and rimfire blend? My thinking is C4 as Rimfire Blend will take out all the lube and negating the seasoning process? What say y'all?

Question for the gurus. Baby's first bath is coming up :LOL: and I have all the good stuff (VFG felts, Bore Tech goodies, etc.) and wanted to ask what cleaning solution do ya'll suggest out of Bore Tech C4 and rimfire blend? My thinking is C4 as Rimfire Blend will take out all the lube and negating the seasoning process? What say y'all?

I only C4. I clean my whole barrel though, not just the chamber. It shoots great immediately after cleaning, but it does take around 30 rounds to reach it's final velocity.

"Seasoned" barrel for me is 1071 fps. Clean barrel is 1051. And slowly speeds to the 1071 after like 30 rounds.

I only C4. I clean my whole barrel though, not just the chamber. It shoots great immediately after cleaning, but it does take around 30 rounds to reach it's final velocity.

"Seasoned" barrel for me is 1071 fps. Clean barrel is 1051. And slowly speeds to the 1071 after like 30 rounds.
Thank you @littlepod! I have only used C4 on my other rifles but was curious. Looking forward to getting it clean, running a box through it, and then seeing what the speeds are. The ace 20" barrel seems "fast" as it doesn't require near the dial at 200 that the CZ and Bergara require (6.9 versus approx. 7.9 mRAD) but this is all seat of the pants guess work until I get a chrono on it and have hard numbers.

How often are you cleaning it? Last time I cleaned my chamber and barrel was at 500 rounds, it's at 1,000 rounds now. I don't see or notice a carbon ring, so I'm not too worried about it...but will probably give it a good cleaning then re-season before I go to my first match.

Reactions: nikonNUT
How often are you cleaning it? Last time I cleaned my chamber and barrel was at 500 rounds, it's at 1,000 rounds now. I don't see or notice a carbon ring, so I'm not too worried about it...but will probably give it a good cleaning then re-season before I go to my first match.

I clean my rifle probably every 500 rounds. I notice that the longer I let my carbon ring get thicker, the longer I have "cold bore" variance where my carbon ring is softening. I think technically I will exhibit carbon ring issues probably at around 150-200 rounds, where I might have a cold bore shift. I never really drop accuracy in groups.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do at Nationals. I should document what my barrel does after 200 rounds, because on Day 2 of Nationals, my first shot of the day is going to be on a target for points, so if it happens to be a 1/4" KYL, I better know what my shift is for that first shot.

In general for local matches we have a zeroing in, so by the time I shoot for the stage my barrel is warmed up.