• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What 6mm chambering to reliably hit 3150-3200fps w/ 110+ class bullets?

Bulldog Firearms

Bulldog Lover
Commercial Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2010
Rio Rancho, NM
www.bulldognm.com
What are you guys opinions on current 6mm chamberings that will reliably hit most match speed limits with good accuracy with 110-115 bullets and not using a powder like RL26 and no 30"+ barrels.

Would ideally like to be able to keep barrel at 26" or less.

Barrel life isn't a concern.

I run 115 DTAC in a 26" Criterion chambered in .243 AI. I got 3050 fps with 49.1 grains of H1000. You can get more out of it, but that load was very consistent for 2000 rounds. I'm at 2400 rounds on that barrel now and it has slowed down about 90 fps, but the barrel still shoots half moa at 100. I haven't had a chance to check group size at distance, but if it has opened up I have another barrel to screw on. I have considered buying a more reliable action and switching to something based on 6 BR, but this feeds in my cheap Savage action and has been very consistent. I have not had to retune the load at all to maintain accuracy throughout the life of the barrel.

Had a 243AI. Shot 105 amax at 3185fps with H4831. 26" barrel. Was on the upper end of max load. Dumped that cartridge though. The fireforming was too much bullshit.

Straight 243 win is probably your next best bet in a short action.