• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What did you do in the reloading room today?

My hidy hole

Attachments

• 20191227_155741.jpg
    20191227_155741.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 20191227_155732.jpg
    20191227_155732.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 20191227_155727.jpg
    20191227_155727.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 20191227_155717.jpg
    20191227_155717.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 108
What a deal had 6 ft of reloading bench, added 14 ft wow, wait for it, subtract 14 ft of gun working bench.

By my expert calculations and having been awarded my GED long ago I belive that I'm close to 6 ft again.

Loaded some and processed more 308

New barrel needed new reciver old one had too much play, too damp and cold to paint so will run it for now.

That damn c-clip on the dust cover gets harder to put on each year.

20191228_185947.jpg

Reactions: sandwarrior
Yessir. I have multiple presses mounted to aluminum plate that mate with T track. The rest are stowed in another space when not being used.
I like that. Makes more sense than having multiple presses mounted and eating up bench space. Looks like I need to go back to the drawing board!

I’m not sure if this was meant to be tongue in cheek humor, but if not, you’re doing it wrong.
I have to agree. Is that comparator not supposed to go down on a bullet that is loaded to the lands? I mean, I get the way you are doing it, but it doesn't give you "ogive to the lands" measurement. When tips are mechanically uniformed, what you're doing will work to give you a seating depth, but still won't tell you exactly where the ogive touches the lands.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if this was meant to be tongue in cheek humor, but if not, you’re doing it wrong.
I have to agree. Is that comparator not supposed to go down on a bullet that is loaded to the lands? I mean, I get the way you are doing it, but it doesn't give you "ogive to the lands" measurement. When tips are mechanically uniformed what you're doing will work to give you a seating depth, but still won't tell you exactly where the ogive touches the lands.
I was measuring OAL like that. Obviously I did things the correct way by putting the ogive into the comparator to get the BTO measurement.

Reactions: Snuby642
Friend has been wanting to find a decent stock for his passed dad's first rifle....a Winchester Model 1902.

Found a stock on Ebay a week or so ago. Ordered it up and have been Tung/Linseed oiling the crap out of it.

Worked on putting it together today......

1577733527890.png

Sucks the little escutcheon that lines the take down screw hole broke while disassembling the old stock.

Fortunately found a guy that sells them online. replacement ordered.

Started to work(update)on the reloading bench a little finally. Not sure the exact direction yet but that’s half the fun I guess. Today I will build the frame for the back wall and may finish laying the tile. I have 5 new LED fixtures to hang throughout the house so may not get to this today.

4B621A6C-C897-41F4-B354-EF079CC6E9FE.jpeg

Stuck about seven cases .223 in the die. ? WTF?!?!?!
Cleaned the die, lubed the cases beyond where they should be. Cleaned out the top of the ram to make sure the holder is floating. And, backed off the die until cases just fit comfortably in my AR. Stuck the next F’n case!

That’s what I did last night. I think I need a new die.?

9mm 115 grain today. 700 in total between these two lots.

View attachment 7214677
View attachment 7214679

Never really been a 9mm guy but I picked a few up over the last couple years.....

Smith and Wesson 952
Smith and Wesson Model 39
Nazi High Power

And my job may go 9mm

Got a tool head and dies recently, plan on using W231 for powder.

What's a good grain projectile for plain old range use?

Is 115 where I want to be?

Never really been a 9mm guy but I picked a few up over the last couple years.....

Smith and Wesson 952
Nazi High Power

And my job may go 9mm

I’ve never noticed much difference between the 147 and 115’s (unless you’re running +P pressure). For cheap 9mm range fodder, just use whatever bullets you can find cheap over a middle of the load book charge. I use Xtreme Bullets 115gr plated over (if I recall correctly) 4.0gr of Bullseye. Nice light recoil but dependable/stout enough I don’t have issues with FTFeed/FTEject’s.

Reactions: pmclaine

Smith and Wesson 952
Nazi High Power

And my job may go 9mm

I use Berry's 115 plated over 5.7gr of BE86 for my range fodder.

Reactions: pmclaine

Smith and Wesson 952
Nazi High Power

And my job may go 9mm

There’s very few pistols I actually want anymore but a 952 is one I’ still desire.

There’s very few pistols I actually want anymore but a 952 is one I’ still desire.

I thought it was a 52-2 when I saw it on the counter of my local shop.

I learned something new similar to how I learned a 52-2 is not a long slide Model 39 when I saw the 52-2 in the counter of my local shop.

The 952 is a -1 with grip safety. I learned I was smart to immediately say "Ill take it" when I did.

Its not as accurate as the 52-2 but its plenty accurate.

I thought it was a 52-2 when I saw it on the counter of my local shop.

I learned something new similar to how I learned a 52-2 is not a long slide Model 39 when I saw the 52-2 in the counter of my local shop.

The 952 is a -1 with grip safety. I learned I was smart to immediately say "Ill take it" when I did.

Its not as accurate as the 52-2 but its plenty accurate.
I’d take any of the variants.
S&W made some awesome pistols back in the day.

I still own a 45 and two 40's but I primarily shoot 9mm now because when buying bullets you're paying by the pound. I just bought 6000 plated 115gr RN for $357, shipped. My opinion, for practice/ blaster ammo 115gr loaded to 1090fps still meets power factor in case you want to shoot it at a match. That's 6.4gr of Accurate #7 for me out of a 5" STI. I loaded 1000rds at 1000fps just for weekly practice.

But I think 124gr is the most common and well balanced 9mm bullet weight. I loaded 500rds of +P JHP at 1200fps using 7.2 gr of Accurate #7.

I'm not real particular about pistol powders but a consideration, if you pick a fast powder you'll use less and over 10K rounds save some money but if the charge is small enough you could risk a double charge and not notice it. Some folks use a powder that if you accidentally double charged a case it will spill over. I would check the powder brand load data and look at charge weights. It will be obvious which powders work best. Accurate#5 might be better suited to 9mm but #7 also works for 40 cal and you can't double charge it.

I haven't been shooting much pistol these days but like to be able to go into the ammo supply when I desire and have plenty on hand.

If my job switches from .45 to 9mm Ill start shooting 9mm regularly.

Usually I buy FMJs from Precision Delta. Bit more expensive paying for jackets but at the rate I shoot not going to make me poor.

I want to try to use W231 same as I use for my .45. It pours great in a Dillon.

Kind of surprised by some of the loads being used. In my .45 I think I use 5.3 grains under a 230 FMJ. Reliable function but not beating my pistols. These 9mm loads seem to pack in the powder.

I load .38 Special with use in my 52-2 in mind. I use 148 grain HBWC and they are ridiculously light, I think 2.9 grains or so of W231. These still shoot plenty good in my .38 revolvers too.

I’d take any of the variants.
S&W made some awesome pistols back in the day.

I got the trifecta 39, 52, 952.

The feel in the hand is just about perfect.

I was hoping the 39 would be an occasional carry gun but my abilities with Double/Single action operation is so degraded from only shooting SA and Striker fired I don't feel comfortable with it.

I haven't been shooting much pistol these days but like to be able to go into the ammo supply when I desire and have plenty on hand.

If my job switches from .45 to 9mm Ill start shooting 9mm regularly.

Usually I buy FMJs from Precision Delta. Bit more expensive paying for jackets but at the rate I shoot not going to make me poor.

I want to try to use W231 same as I use for my .45. It pours great in a Dillon.

Kind of surprised by some of the loads being used. In my .45 I think I use 5.3 grains under a 230 FMJ. Reliable function but not beating my pistols. These 9mm loads seem to pack in the powder.

I load .38 Special with use in my 52-2 in mind. I use 148 grain HBWC and they are ridiculously light, I think 2.9 grains or so of W231. These still shoot plenty good in my .38 revolvers too.
For target loads in 38 and 45 look at Winchester WST.

Smith and Wesson 952
Nazi High Power

And my job may go 9mm

I’ve never noticed much difference between the 147 and 115’s (unless you’re running +P pressure). For cheap 9mm range fodder, just use whatever bullets you can find cheap over a middle of the load book charge. I use Xtreme Bullets 115gr plated over (if I recall correctly) 4.0gr of Bullseye. Nice light recoil but dependable/stout enough I don’t have issues with FTFeed/FTEject’s.

I use 115's for all my range fodder because they're usually the cheapest.

Berry's plated, Xtreme plated, or whatever Rocky Mountain Reloading has on special or really anything that's about 6 to 8 cents a piece.

I'm using Winchester Auto Comp right now at 5.3 with those pictures FMJ's. It's a max +p load according to the Sierra Manual. It really hammers out of my CZ's and glock. I couldn't use this load with the plated bullets because it's not recommended to push plated bullets over 1100-1200fps. I'm jumping the bullet maybe .010" in my CZ because they're really short throated compared to the glock, and anything else for that matter.

Win 231 is a great all-around powder and it doesn't take much to get a good mid-range load that cycles effectively for practice. 4.5-5 grains under a 115 and you should be in business.