• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What NOT to ask on SH

Re: What NOT to ask on SH

For those that want quick answers to stupid questions you are lazy and have no patients so, why are you asking question on a precision rifle fourm. You will always learn more by gathering all the info you can before you prematurely ask a question that has been ask 347 times. Also, if your going to stick your head up out of your little hole. You better have some thick skin.

I think a forum-specific FAQ at the top of each forum would be an excellent idea. Newbies could pour through that first, then search for any specific info not covered before diving in with questions that have been answered a thousand times.

Oh wait ... we already have that and 98% of folks won't use it fully. OK, nevermind.
frown.gif

BTW, is a fluted barrel more accurate than non-fluted?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does this stock make me look fat?</div></div>

How would you go about telling your friend it ISN'T the stock? </div></div>

No, your ass makes my truck look small.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think to many of us forget that at one point we were probably asking these same "stupid questions". it may be funny to see the same thread over and over but nobody is forcing us to respond. plus the more people that know the answers the better.

The last thing i want to do is discourage somebody that wants to get into this hobby and is trying to learn. i love it and want it to grow so the more the merrier.</div></div>

I kinda fall into that camp, really. The more the merrier, I say. And nuking a noob for asking dumb/repetitive questions is going to turn about half of 'em away for good. For the sport to grow or for the hard-won knowledge to be passed to the next generation we all must suffer the 'spoon-feed me' set sometimes. A gentle reminder about the forum FAQs, a link to the domain-specific Google search, and a 'Welcome aboard!' is going to go much futher toward bringing in/bringing up new shooters, imho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: debubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to get things done quickly.So yes I do want to be spoon fed info from time to time.The way I see it that is part of the reason for a forum in the first place. </div></div>

THAT is exactly the attitude I am talking about. So you would rather have me spend my time re-typing the same info that I have given time and time again because it's not worth YOUR time to look for it?

I find this thread amusing. Why..because Im POSITIVE the people making fun of everyone else had to have asked the same questions when they were starting out. Im pretty sure they were not born with this knowledge, although some may think so. Even if it is annoying to see the same posts over and over making fun of the people isn't going to make it stop. I would almost bet everyone posted questions like this on some other topic. Like.. What computer should I get? Is Whats the difference in CDRW and DVDRW? Etc. I come here to try and learn what I want/need in a precision rifle. And honestly I get pretty frustrated when I cant find answers because there are a million threads whining about all the people that ask questions. ANYWAY.. I'll get off the soap box.

It's not the asking of questions, it's the blatant disregard for the obvious answers right in front of your face.

If I had a dollar for every question that came up with the answer literally a few posts down, I could by a AI .50 cal. I'm all for helping someone and teach what my (limited) skills are, however, if you're not going to make an effort, than forget it.

Don't ask anything without your profile filled out because no one here would want to answer it unless they knew your hobbies and occupation! If you do the profile police will hunt you down and kill you!

When the day comes no one can not ask a question for fear of being laughed at on here,... I ask of those laughing, tell me all you know about working an A/O full of bad guys?

I lurk on here. Have been for over 5 years but recently started posting on a couple of forums. You "high post count" guys need to go work in a firearms establishment. Its real fun to have people complaining about how much Barska scopes cost, why we don't accept Hi-Points on trade ins, and want to know all the fine points of the Rem 770......Just once I would like to get a question about Mark 4's or a Nightforce while I'm on the clock. You think the newbies are bad on here, try the general public for awhile.

TiredWings

I believe it's newbee overload, they don't know, what they don't know. Hence the lack of any kind of logical thinking.

Being new here, is about like stepping into the belly of a living, breathing, thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: debubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to get things done quickly.So yes I do want to be spoon fed info from time to time.The way I see it that is part of the reason for a forum in the first place. </div></div>

THAT is exactly the attitude I am talking about. So you would rather have me spend my time re-typing the same info that I have given time and time again because it's not worth YOUR time to look for it?</div></div>

then don't, your call

I'm with stefan and reeperdriver, there sure is alot of eliteist mentalities floatin around in here. I post advice when the small chance happens that I can give some, or click on that magic mouse thing that takes me to the next thread that I can learn something from, which by the way doesnt happen often cause I'm the all knowing Long Range Deity Demi God

oh, and its kinda sad when us new guys know the screen names of all those who do not a damned thing but talk shit to everybody

Over 95% of the questions asked on here are very reasonable. Some posters absolutely should do more searching than posting a their questions, and I think a few jokes on those posts are fair.

I have asked a few stupid questions, and made some stupid comments. But now that I almost have my 100 posts, my few semi-pointless comments are drying up...

Personally I am quite impressed with the responses I have received, and am most grateful. But I fully agree that a few posters need to do a lot more thinking and less asking.

-Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiredWings</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I lurk on here. Have been for over 5 years but recently started posting on a couple of forums. You "high post count" guys need to go work in a firearms establishment. Its real fun to have people complaining about how much Barska scopes cost, why we don't accept Hi-Points on trade ins, and want to know all the fine points of the Rem 770......Just once I would like to get a question about Mark 4's or a Nightforce while I'm on the clock. You think the newbies are bad on here, try the general public for awhile.

TiredWings

+1

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not the asking of questions, it's the blatant disregard for the obvious answers right in front of your face.

If I had a dollar for every question that came up with the answer literally a few posts down, I could by a AI .50 cal. I'm all for helping someone and teach what my (limited) skills are, however, if you're not going to make an effort, than forget it.

</div></div>
It might be obvious to many on here but to the newb it isn't. A lot of people on here grew up with firearms, had mentors, experience and such. Like someone else posted "they don't know, what they don't know".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My SKS, AK, Mini 14 are all 1/4" rifles. </div></div>
"Wow so you are really into miniatures I see. I collect miniature scotty dogs myself."

Instead of posting something in the form of a question, try making a bold statement about the topic, like you know you are right and you don't give a damn what anyone else thinks. Even if you might not have a clue about what you are talking about, everyone else will chime in and tell you why you are wrong, and maybe then you will get the answer you were looking for.

After all, aren't most people just looking for someone to agree or confirm what they have already decided on for themselves?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtDart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those that want quick answers to stupid questions<span style="color: #FF0000">,</span> you are lazy and have no <span style="text-decoration: line-through">patients </span><span style="color: #FF0000">paitence. </span> <span style="color: #FF0000">S</span><span style="text-decoration: line-through">s</span>o, why are you asking question<span style="color: #FF0000">s</span> on a precision rifle <span style="text-decoration: line-through">fourm</span><span style="color: #CC0000">forum?</span> You will always learn more by gathering all the info you can before you prematurely ask a question that has been ask<span style="color: #FF0000">ed</span> 347 times. Also, if <span style="text-decoration: line-through">your </span><span style="color: #FF0000">you're</span> going to stick your head up out of your little hole<span style="text-decoration: line-through">.</span><span style="color: #FF0000">,</span> <span style="text-decoration: line-through">Y</span><span style="color: #CC0000">y</span>ou better have some thick skin. </div></div>

Thick skin. Good call.

So...the more experienced members are (understandably) tired of posting the same info over and over and over; whereas the newer members ask questions (sometimes ignorant) that they could have found answers for on their own.

It seems to me that maybe this boils down to more about just wanting to communicate with like-minded people that share a similar interest in shooting.

So, if you're tired of wasting your time answering the same thing again and again, don't reply. If you've got a question and are unwilling to take a few minutes to see what you can find on your own, don't be surprised at the responses you get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Instead of posting something in the form of a question, try making a bold statement about the topic, like you know you are right and you don't give a damn what anyone else thinks. Even if you might not have a clue about what you are talking about, everyone else will chime in and tell you why you are wrong, and maybe then you will get the answer you were looking for.

After all, aren't most people just looking for someone to agree or confirm what they have already decided on for themselves? </div></div>

Classic.

I was playin me some gamecube and i thought to myself... this snipin sh*t looks funn. so went to get me a high-performance snipin-sh*t rifle. i didn't no what to get at first but i was on the hide once and saw sumthin bout handloads, so, naturally i setled on a 50 cal mussket at wal-mart as i would be able to employ handloading for better accuracy. next i got a tasco 40 times from the next isle. i then purchased the movie sniper as it could provide a wealth of info. so after i had my bullets filed and powder dry, i went to the range. i had trouble at first cause my trigger finger was sore from being filed down so much as the movie sniper pointed out, but i was determined to shoot the wings off a fly at 1000yrds. i waited like a sniper all through the winter but they were missing. so my question is where can tactical flys be ordered? are some types of flys better than others? would a fly without wings be called a walk? and lastly do you guys think my rifle is tactical enough?
qutha.gif

I pretty much despise elitism for the most part, but at the same time I understand it. For people that have been in the community for years and years, hearing the same questions over and over is like chinese water torture. So it is easy to have less than cordial remarks sometimes at said questions.

However that being said...Im sure most here that are considered " scotch sipping elitists" or whatever try to put that feeling aside and enlighten the ignorant. Just understand what chair they are sitting in.

We have all been stupid at one time in our life or another. Myself personally. Everyone has to start learning from somewhere. With me as with most of you it was when i was about 10 years old with a BB gun.

Just in case some of you Nancys forgot the original post, I will put it back up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about a sticky for questions <span style="font-weight: bold">too</span> frequently asked, call it the "questions NOT to ask" <span style="color: #FF0000">sticky, with answers or links to said questions</span>
</div></div>

...real elitist intent there
smirk.gif

Grow a set of nuts and lighten up
laugh.gif

For those who say "You've all been there before, so that justifies my laziness now" need to learn to shut the fuck up, READ for a few months, LEARN and APPLY what you've read, then ask your questions (if any are left). If you choose not to take this advise, don't be surprised by the responses you get.

Fail to see how question oriented hostility is to me personally an insult or a forum burden. I see no reason to castigate the inquirer, or to assess their integrity/initiative/efforts based on a search tool.

The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Better to ask than to err.
The one too embarassed to ask will not learn.

This is fun not work..no one is graded... I think-- FWIW and JMHO
Sorry if any one is offended
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"What kind of vacuum cleaner should I buy?"</div></div>

you owe me a new keyboard...........

The goal is no to have a forum full of users that are gun shy to ask a question at the risk of getting publicly flamed, but to promote searching the FAQ or a "frequently asked questions" thread that may/will answer their question(s), if the answer is not found after a search, by all means ask.

I can honestly say I have only jumped on one member in past years for conduct or posts, but never over a question. I am a advocate of learning, thats why I am a member here. New members, ask away, just do a brief search to see if your question was a topic or answered days/weeks earlier.

Kirk R