What scope are you guys using for ELR?

Matthew488

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
Gilbert AZ
I'm building a 375 BAS that will be done this month but I'm still undecided on what optics to go with. I run a Kahles 624i on my 308 Baer but would like higher magnification on this rifle given the longer ranges it will be capable of here in the AZ desert.

Hi,

I noticed you mentioned desert environment so you will likely not being maxing out (most of the time) your 24x on the Kahles you have now due to mirage, etc in that environment.

I am a "legacy" S&B fan lol,....their PMII 5-25 with P4F is hard to beat IMO.
I am very interested to see how the tracking and overall ruggedness of the XTRIII rate when they hit the wild too.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

I noticed you mentioned desert environment so you will likely not being maxing out (most of the time) your 24x on the Kahles you have now due to mirage, etc in that environment.

I am a "legacy" S&B fan lol,....their PMII 5-25 with P4F is hard to beat IMO.
I am very interested to see how the tracking and overall ruggedness of the XTRIII rate when they hit the wild too.

Sincerely,
Theis

Do you have any experience with the 3-27x PM II?
I plan to put that on my ELR rifle.

Do you have any experience with the 3-27x PM II?
I plan to put that on my ELR rifle.

I use the S&B 5-25 with MSR Reticle for all my LR and ELR needs. I thought I would need to upgrade to the 3-27 until I got behind one in the field. Honestly, the extra 3X wasn't really noticable, and the one thing I really disliked about the 3-27 over the 5-25 was that when changing magnification on the 3-27, I had to constantly adjust the parallax for a clearer image. The 5-25 is more forgiving when changing magnification. The tunneling issue below 8X with the 5-25 really isn't a factor in the ELR game.

I would be interested in the S&B 5-45 if they ever offer more turret options, and also offer the new MSR2 reticle for that scope. But first I'd need to get behind it in the field.

The NF ATACR 7-35 is a nice scope, but unfortunately, NF reticle's do nothing for me. All their reticle's look as if the local High School graphic arts class designed them.

Last edited:
I have a 3-27 with an H59 and a 5-25 pm2 with a T3. I use the 3-27 on my 300 Norma and I like a lot of things about that scope and the h59 hasn’t bothered me but I am reconsidering my reticle choice if there is something with H59’s utility with a little more open feel without giving up glass quality and the 34 mil turrets, I can dial 32 mil before running out of travel with my setup. Wish the msr2 or lrr would show up in the 3-27. I’ve thought about Tangent theta with a gen2xr which keeps Glass quality, turrets and almost as much elevation travel, but I’ve never used a gen2xr. I do like the gen3xr a lot need to see it at 2000 plus yards though. And it’s a lot of money!

Reactions: PTPATAW
I have used a S&B 3-27x56 in two ELR rifles for competition, hunted with it and been here/there plus everywhere with it. Really good scope.

340 click or 34 Mils. On my current cheytac, I have 34 Mils of usable turret travel (base+ Spuhr = 74 moa).

Magnification should be secondary to actual turret travel in a ELR Scope. 27x or35x seems about the max usable. ... 45 is going to be a issue with the least bit of mirage.

Best of luck and great shooting
Chris Schmidt
Tennessee

Attachments

• B2BCC4AC-C67C-40B3-86FC-AD5BC7449051.jpeg
    B2BCC4AC-C67C-40B3-86FC-AD5BC7449051.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 254
I agree with the statement above 100% on magnification. Me and a buddy went out this afternoon to do some shooting at 2000 yards to test a new cartridge he’s running and, well the wind wasn’t bad and it wasn’t freezing in January so why not.

We had the following scopes on the line to do some glass & reticle comparison based on some other things we wanted to see:

s&b 5-25 pmII with tremor 3
s&b 3-27 high power h59
s&b 5-45 high power h2cmr
Tangent Theta 5-25 gen3xr

There was very little mirage today compared to normal but enough to see it coming off target to read it.

The 5-45 is an awesome scope and it did have an advantage today with relatively low mirage and could be run up to 32-35 with good clarity, going towards max it started to get a lot of mirage. H2cmr is a bit heavy on upper end of this scope but with .2 holds it is not lacking anything until you run out of elevation and start holding over/off but at 2000 yards on a 338 that’s not a concern.

I have the 3-27 on my 300 Norma and was shooting at 20x or so for what felt most optimal at that range and I was easily able to call corrections spotting. I had a second round impact after first round came in just low. H59 has a lot of utility if you don’t mind the grid.

Tremor 3 wasn’t on a rifle I just took it out for comparison and had it on game changer to look at target, I like this reticle at that range even though the wind dots at that range don’t have any use. Glass is obviously good and could zoom up near max without losing too much details.

TT gen3xr was awesome! Is the dot big? Yes but it’s the right size to not worry about it getting lost in a shadow or dark target. Glass is amazing even up to 25x today you could see bullet splash on the plate.

All in all of the four scopes and reticles none were something you wouldn’t want and all have something to offer. The h2cmr offers the fewest advantages on elr.

Not as ELR as some other folks, but my .300NM "ELR" rig has a Khales K624i scope with the AMR reticle.

The reticle is just about perfect for ELR work IMO, and I don't feel limited by having a top end of 24x. The Khales scopes don't have as much elevation as some of the other scopes out there, but that can be easily rectified with a TacomHQ.

I do admit I do prefer to have higher magnification available for when I can use it and can always dial it back when I can't. I'll most likely add the Charlie Tarac to whichever scope that I get when I can but would like as much travel as i can get as well. Granted higher magnification usually means less travel making it a compromise. I believe the nightforce 7x35 has 100moa or better. I've also seen the Trijicon 5x50 scope with 100 moa but cant find any reviews on them.

I do admit I do prefer to have higher magnification available for when I can use it and can always dial it back when I can't. I'll most likely add the Charlie Tarac to whichever scope that I get when I can but would like as much travel as i can get as well. Granted higher magnification usually means less travel making it a compromise. I believe the nightforce 7x35 has 100moa or better. I've also seen the Trijicon 5x50 scope with 100 moa but cant find any reviews on them.

I can't say personally, but many reports of the 7-35 having more elevation than advertised. Many of the feedback reports are saying same amount of travel as the 5-25. I have read one claim to have more than the 5-25. I can't verify if any are true, because I don't have a 7-35..... yet;)

I can't say personally, but many reports of the 7-35 having more elevation than advertised. Many of the feedback reports are saying same amount of travel as the 5-25. I have read one claim to have more than the 5-25. I can't verify if any are true, because I don't have a 7-35..... yet;)

HAHA yeah this is true. I have 37 MILs total on my 7-35 and have 32+ useable after sighting in. It gets me out there a ways. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Squibbler
We have had great luck with the Gen II Razor 4.5-27x56 MRADs on our ELR rifles . I really can’t find anything to complain about. The 2 Snipetacs have 80 moa rails underneath and the 375 Warner had a locking adjustable rail that was capable of up to an additional 140 moa if needed, I ran it this year in the 50 moa position and had everything needed for 3000 + yards.

Good luck on your choice

Oneshot.onehit
JH

Looking to buy a jj rock XL, can’t decided on the scope base (45 or 60 moa).

I’m either purchasing a nightforce 5 x 25 ATACR or 7 x 37 scope.

Will be shooting between 2,000 and 3,000 yards.

Which base should I use ?

I would go ahead and get the 60 Moa base. I am glad you have decided to go with a JJ Rock. You will not regret it.
Good luck and great shooting.
Chris Schmidt
Tennessee
RLTW
IG: ChrisSchmidt_ELR

Would I be limited in any way if I choose the 45 moa base? Just don’t want to run into issues by running a 60 moa base if say I want to shoot closer ...1500yards or so. I read you may see your barrel if the can’t is to aggressive

Reactions: 4KDOA
Would I be limited in any way if I choose the 45 moa base? Just don’t want to run into issues by running a 60 moa base if say I want to shoot closer ...1500yards or so. I read you may see your barrel if the can’t is to aggressive

I have 74 moa total in my rail and mount. 1500 yards is not a problem. 1000 yards is not a problem.

Reactions: camotoe
We never had our barrels in the way with the 80 moa rails under the scopes and yes if you asked us to hit a dot at 100 yards that could easily be done as well. So you are not limiting your potential range if your equipment is configured right

Cheers

Oneshot.onehit
JH

Reactions: PRCdude and camotoe
I got a AMG 6-24 to try out on a 300 PRC I'm building. We'll see how it goes. It should get me to 2500+. I figure I can't lose because if I don't like it for that use or find it lacking, I can throw it on the 6.5 creedmoor and try something different down the road.

+1 on the Nightforce 7-35 FFP . Clarity and magnification. Installed on the RPR 300 WM yields 22 mils remaining above the 100 yd zero. I'm going to install the ERATAC Adjustable Inclination Mount (gives you additional 70 minutes in 10 min increments).

PS - If you call Mile High Shooting they'll work with you on pricing. Excellent outfit.

+1 on the Nightforce 7-35 FFP . Clarity and magnification. Installed on the RPR 300 WM yields 22 mils remaining above the 100 yd zero. I'm going to install the ERATAC Adjustable Inclination Mount (gives you additional 70 minutes in 10 min increments).

PS - If you call Mile High Shooting they'll work with you on pricing. Excellent outfit.

Already spoke with Mile High Shooting. Didn't seem like they were willing to go down on the price even after telling them I was a Hide member, a disabled Vet and that I had purchased my Bergara from them.

S&B 3X27 MTC-LT with H-59. The mount is the Ivey adjustable 50 mil mount although i wouldn't use it on anything bigger then .338 due to scope whip on bigger calibers.
I also used the Kahles 624i with AMR and had no issues seeing out to 3000 yards. The only reason i got the S&B was it has the 35 mil of travel and i got a great deal from Eurooptics.
Try calling Sport Optics they were very good on pricing on the last scope i got from them.

I am using a SWFA SS fixed 10x. It focuses down to 10 meters and has 37.5 mills or 135 moa of elevation adjustment. Tracking is very reliable all for $300. It's no NF and I'm not trying to say it is but it will get the job done. The 10x might be hard to live with at longer ranges but if you don't have enough elevation you will have to back off the magnification anyway.​

I'm leaning towards the Nightforce 7-35, just don't really care for there reticles. Does anyone have any experience with the Tremor3 reticle? It looks a little busy, or is it not to bad for ELR?

I have both the T3 and H59 and for ELR I prefer the H59. I like the T3 and use it to shoot my 6.5 out a mile without issue. I got a great deal on a S&B 3x27 with the H59 and have no regrets. I say get what you like and fits you eye.