• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Maggie’s What's Your View II

In the early am of 7/8/18 severe storms and winds crossed Upper Dakota West to East. My home town got hit really hard, gusts of 90 MPH. Lots of damage and hundreds of trees broken and blown over.

The folks farm is 2.5 miles east of town. Dad said they had lots of tree branches on the ground but no building damage. Whew! The Child bride and I showed up Friday nite, this is typical of about 15 locations across the farm yard.

View attachment 6922894

View attachment 6922895

This last weekend we had a family work clean up day. 3 daughters, 2 boyfriends, 2 cooks, 2 neighbors, 1 super (Dad) and me. Neighbors, who also rent the tillable land, showed up with a big beautiful John Deere MFD complete with loader and grapple and a 2 ton GMC with a huge gravel box.
Chainsaws started a 8 am, by 4:30 PM we were cracking Buds. 5 loads of branches to the landfill. There was some redneck engineering and a couple of almost scary moments, but we got 90% of the mess. 4 of us spent Sunday morning raking up a few bucket loads of sticks and twigs, done done.

The Stihl family
View attachment 6922906

Front to back: 16" 025, 18" MS251, 20" 391. I'd just bought the 391 two weeks ago. Running store bought 94 octane mix with chipper chains. Between the three we went through most of 2 gals of fuel. Helluva a day. Yeah, the 391 bar is upside down, we were in a hurry.

We had some fun tooView attachment 6922898
Daughter #4's boyfriend breaking in his new Savage .22. When my girls drag a young man into my life, I check them out real close. If they are determined to be keepers, they get a Savage .22. On to the grandkids.

Too bad you had a mess to clean up, but running saws and shooting in the same day? I’m in! It’s ok to flip your bar with each sharpen, as it helps the rail wear evenly. I’ve done it for years. Prevents the crescent moon cuts over time.

Reactions: Geno C. and RNWRKNP
Couple shots on the way home from taking a couple shots.

n6c0grZ.jpg

6IOL8g8.jpg

5pE7WSF.jpg

PuthcGq.jpg

Qv7CHmV.jpg

Cooled down real nice this evening. Been brutal for a few days in the high 80's. We die in that crap. Chap's our webbed feet. :p

Too bad you had a mess to clean up, but running saws and shooting in the same day? I’m in! It’s ok to flip your bar with each sharpen, as it helps the rail wear evenly. I’ve done it for years. Prevents the crescent moon cuts over time.

Good to know, thanks. The dealer told me a 24-25" bar would work on the 391, but after this last weekend, I'm thinking that 20" is all I want.

20” is a bad little mofo. Burnt up my Husky making a 4x4 post look like rough sawn lumber but that was a bad mofo as well. Neighbor calls me over and says “you need to cut down that ficus next to the fence as it is dropping leaves in my yard”. It was a 30’ ficus so I wasn’t real keen on cutting down a huge shade tree so I says to him “well you need to buy me a new Stihl chain saw, clean up the mess as I go and put it in the back of my truck”. So he bought me the new saw, I put a commercial chain on it and the rest is history?

I've got a 440 Magnum, and went from a Rollomatic 25" to a 20". I've found that even dropping 5" makes huge difference in fatigue.
Of course, I'm not a professional. The first hour I usually muscle the hell out of the saw and only start leting the saw do the work when I start to get tired.

I've got a 440 Magnum, and went from a Rollomatic 25" to a 20". I've found that even dropping 5" makes huge difference in fatigue.
Of course, I'm not a professional. The first hour I usually muscle the hell out of the saw and only start leting the saw do the work when I start to get tired.

I'm in a similar camp.

Homeowner that could probably get by with a bow saw but went 440.

Thing rips.

At the end of the day though I know I did some work.

I'm also just "homeowner", but I bought mine and use it more as toll for deer hunting land than anything else. It has come in handy during bad storms or ice storms but that's not why I bought such a big saw. Every summer I will go with 5-10 guys and cut/split enough firewood to last the farm I hunt on all year. We usually do about five chords and bust it out in a weekend. We cut and transport the logs the first day, and then split it all the next. There are about 500 acres, and about half is wooded, so there are always big down trees to cut up. They have a bunch of horses, and sometimes they'll kill a big tree by gnawing the bark, so I've dropped some big ones, and they have a really nice splitter that's fast. It is two solid says of work, but I look forward to it every year.
Big Saw.JPG

Don't get too jealous. ;)

Make sure to click on HD and it gets real good at just before 1 minute.

Nice !!! Love the hell outta that Bachelor Group. Something like 10 or 11 of them. Before it grew up, we use to go a few times a year and scout the Margaret Unit up Mt St. Helens. They had Bachelor Groups up there I've never seen the sizes of in my life. Literally 20-30 "LEGAL" Bulls in a bunch. We'd see a metric shit ton of groups in the 10-20 head and many in the 20-30 range. Use to put in for a couple special draws up there every year. It's why a buddy and I ended up taking our Master Hunter Courses and got certified in the State. More preference points and more AHE only hunts. They have got some Roosevelt's up there that will make your jaw drop. ;)

I'm also just "homeowner", but I bought mine and use it more as toll for deer hunting land than anything else. It has come in handy during bad storms or ice storms but that's not why I bought such a big saw. Every summer I will go with 5-10 guys and cut/split enough firewood to last the farm I hunt on all year. We usually do about five chords and bust it out in a weekend. We cut and transport the logs the first day, and then split it all the next. There are about 500 acres, and about half is wooded, so there are always big down trees to cut up. They have a bunch of horses, and sometimes they'll kill a big tree by gnawing the bark, so I've dropped some big ones, and they have a really nice splitter that's fast. It is two solid says of work, but I look forward to it every year.
View attachment 6923010

Disclaimer: straight up just messin with you Fig but I can’t resist?

Big saw does you no good if ya ain’t got the sack to keep it up???

funny you should say that...
View attachment 6923221
The pergola is coming along too. Been working on it an hour or two after work. It should be done tomorrow.
View attachment 6923222

Lookin sweet already and nice job dude!? That should buy you atleast 30 minutes of no stink eye from the misses?. You throwing one end up and walk the other up the ladder to set’m?

Exactly. I’m dadoing the stringers and joists 2” so they lock into place. Once they’re all in I’ll get the framing nailer and toe them all in from the top, but they honestly don’t need it. Most of them I’m cutting just right so I have to bang them in with a mallet.

If anybody asks about the nailer tell’m it’s a Hitachi? Still have all my framing tools and that is one bad ass nail gun. Were you able to get all that in a package or jig up and cut it all yourself? Posted a wood floor a bit back and there is actually two of them that used to be carpet. Wife says she doesn’t want to replace it with carpet and says
you should install wood flooring. Construction on your free time when you do it for a living is the last thing you want to do so I flippantly said we’ll you should go buy me a chop saw and a table saw? Shouldn’t have said that as the wife shows up back at the house with wood flooring, a chop saw and a table saw......DeWalt no less? I don’t say shit like that to my wife anymore???

Gettin' old and losing your hearing and eyesight does have a few upsides....dont'cha know ? (I haven't seen stinkeye in, hell, I dunno, 5, maybe 10 years). :cool::cool::cool:

LMFAO! One of the only advantages of playing guitars and shooting guns? Wife and I lost our communication relay when the youngest move out. What did she say kid????

If anybody asks about the nailer tell’m it’s a Hitachi? Still have all my framing tools and that is one bad ass nail gun. Were you able to get all that in a package or jig up and cut it all yourself? Posted a wood floor a bit back and there is actually two of them that used to be carpet. Wife says she doesn’t want to replace it with carpet and says
you should install wood flooring. Construction on your free time when you do it for a living is the last thing you want to do so I flippantly said we’ll you should go buy me a chop saw and a table saw? Shouldn’t have said that as the wife shows up back at the house with wood flooring, a chop saw and a table saw......DeWalt no less? I don’t say shit like that to my wife anymore???
No. I drew it out and then ordered all the right size lumber so I could avoid a few cuts, but it’s a very simple design. I looked at some kits, but they were a lot more expensive, and none of them were long and narrow like I needed for the space. I poured the footers and put the pavers down in the spring. It was about $2.5k for all the lumber (treated and pre-stained). I shudder to think what it would cost me to have a real carpenter do it.

All my phenumatic nailers are Bostitich. I do have a Dewalt compressor.

No. I drew it out and then ordered all the right size lumber so I could avoid a few cuts, but it’s a very simple design. I looked at some kits, but they were a lot more expensive, and none of them were long and narrow like I needed for the space. I poured the footers and put the pavers down in the spring. It was about $2.5k for all the lumber (treated and pre-stained). I shudder to think what it would cost me to have a real carpenter do it.

All my phenumatic nailers are Bostitich. I do have a Dewalt compressor.

Pays to know the business end of a tool? Nice to step back and see something you did yourself at the end of the day. I actually kind of miss that about framing as retarded as that may sound. Now it’s a cell phone that I wish I could throw and herding cats?

Had to take a day between jobs to work up a couple of State sponsored remodel bids. I've been hunched over the laptop most of the day, and with the Child Bride out of town for a funeral, the house was getting pretty stale. About 8 pm I said "screw it", grabbed my fishing gear and cooler and went to drown some worms.

P7170229.JPG

I am a lazy, casual fisherman at best. Tied on a #6 hook, bobber and nightcrawler, threw it out and sat in a lawn chair. It's kind of like a good fire, the cobwebs in the brain sorta just wash away. The little lake behind our house has no natural flow so the blue/green algae was in full bloom, expectations were low, as were the results. Cold Buds, dock to myself, who cares, catching a fish is just frosting on the cake.

Bug proofing a Bud:

P7170232.JPG

Skitters finally sent me home. A quiet ending to a otherwise boring day.

Had to take a day between jobs to work up a couple of State sponsored remodel bids. I've been hunched over the laptop most of the day, and with the Child Bride out of town for a funeral, the house was getting pretty stale. About 8 pm I said "screw it", grabbed my fishing gear and cooler and went to drown some worms.

View attachment 6923297

I am a lazy, casual fisherman at best. Tied on a #6 hook, bobber and nightcrawler, threw it out and sat in a lawn chair. It's kind of like a good fire, the cobwebs in the brain sorta just wash away. The little lake behind our house has no natural flow so the blue/green algae was in full bloom, expectations were low, as were the results. Cold Buds, dock to myself, who cares, catching a fish is just frosting on the cake.

Bug proofing a Bud:

View attachment 6923300

Outstanding ! :cool::cool::cool:

View attachment 6923297

Bug proofing a Bud:

View attachment 6923300

I had never heard the term disadvantaged subcontractor till we bid some federal work here in town. Is your state stuff along the same line? Nothing better than lake side and a cold one to defrag the central computer?

I had never heard the term disadvantaged subcontractor till we bid some federal work here in town. Is your state stuff along the same line? Nothing better than lake side and a cold one to defrag the central computer?

The project I bid is run through USDA. Super low interest loans and grants to those who can't get normal credit but still need work done, mostly to remedy health risks. The problem is they cap the loans at $7,500 with the possibility of another $7,500 if they qualify. My bid took a full 2/3's of both grants. 15 grand doesn't go to far on some of the wrecks I've seen. As far as being disadvantaged, if I understand you correctly, USDA can hardly get anybody to bid these jobs. To small, to many hoops. This job is small and close, right up my alley. And I'm the only one dumb enough to consider it.

I wanted to suggest they start the remodel with 5 gallons of gas and a match, but held my tongue. Defrag the central computer, good one. Will be using that in the future.

Cranking on bid #3, no state or fed in this one. Big beautiful house remodel, bidding on the taping, texture, finish and trim out. Hope to get it, should be fun.

Reactions: Barneybdb
The project I bid is run through USDA. Super low interest loans and grants to those who can't get normal credit but still need work done, mostly to remedy health risks. The problem is they cap the loans at $7,500 with the possibility of another $7,500 if they qualify. My bid took a full 2/3's of both grants. 15 grand doesn't go to far on some of the wrecks I've seen. As far as being disadvantaged, if I understand you correctly, USDA can hardly get anybody to bid these jobs. To small, to many hoops. This job is small and close, right up my alley. And I'm the only one dumb enough to consider it.

I wanted to suggest they start the remodel with 5 gallons of gas and a match, but held my tongue. Defrag the central computer, good one. Will be using that in the future.

Cranking on bid #3, no state or fed in this one. Big beautiful house remodel, bidding on the taping, texture, finish and trim out. Hope to get it, should be fun.

As a GC doing federal work, the lions share of the subs that I use have to be either certified minority or disadvantaged owned subs as well as suppliers along the same line. It’s as bad as it sounds? The best contractor for the job with the best value has little to do with it in my opinion. Won’t do Fed work anymore now that I know how the game is played. That includes military bases FYI.

If those USDA jobs are quick in/out, don’t have a 90day wait for a check that clears the bank who cares?

Reactions: titandriver
2C5C291D-6018-43A2-9CA8-85A2BD8465C3.jpeg
2A935B92-25FF-44F6-AAC3-9BD7A51D3BFF.jpeg
CB2D0242-9D01-49DD-9404-EC4C6F8C03FC.jpeg
C5759C5D-A076-4909-B705-2B346D75FEAC.jpeg
514D56AB-6199-4A4B-B86A-5FB61CB099E2.jpeg
1AC135AB-7E25-4A23-8511-8F816D35594D.jpeg
E984B00B-71BA-45DC-B28B-50B2F061361F.jpeg
9F255FF8-02D3-452D-919C-B1E44B85674F.jpeg
3C306E1C-62B7-4CFB-8391-87BDF85E1D77.jpeg
772A7D84-A2FD-4865-BA69-34C062B0D48A.jpeg
One of my projects in the wild.

2C5C291D-6018-43A2-9CA8-85A2BD8465C3.jpeg
2A935B92-25FF-44F6-AAC3-9BD7A51D3BFF.jpeg
CB2D0242-9D01-49DD-9404-EC4C6F8C03FC.jpeg
C5759C5D-A076-4909-B705-2B346D75FEAC.jpeg

One must exorcise extreme caution while in the wild lest you wind up with a new trailer and one of these. There isn’t a good eneough excuse to give the wife when you get home and they don’t come with a lawyer.....I checked?

514D56AB-6199-4A4B-B86A-5FB61CB099E2.jpeg

120,000sqft of sales and service for stuff that will get you divorced??

1AC135AB-7E25-4A23-8511-8F816D35594D.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 6923010

Now thats a bar!