• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Maggie’s What's Your View II

My shoes, bearpaws, are 10x36. They are a compromise shoe, don't do anything perfectly but most things well. Kind of like 4895. Fully outdoor dressed weight is +/- 195. When traveling through soft snow, such as between tall corn stalks, floatation is not the best. However, the short length and lack of a tailpiece makes turning much easier. On the hard snow one can almost jog (I don't).
Many years ago I had the opportunity to try a pair of Alaskan style shoes, long and narrow. Fast on the flat, slow on the turn. Someday might get a set, just because.
Up here the snow does get like concrete, it’s just not consistent across all conditions. The north side of a treeline could be rock hard. Cross the trees to the south 200', might be 2" of crust over 3' of powder.
Snow got a lot harder after last night..
View attachment 7800157
Good day to size brass and read a good book.

I likely use shoes too small for the weight wearing them. I also forfeit float for maneuverability.

Most times I am wearing them it is usually forest. In the NE conditions will vary usually.

Still like the extra grip they afford.

if you aren’t using your canines, you’re doing it wrong.
Venison steaks with home made au gratin taters, Minnesota grown wild rice and some broccoli.

And a nice Cab to wash it down.

FE61C4FE-4F35-4DBE-B4AB-A8A7D270C0E6.jpeg

I likely use shoes too small for the weight wearing them. I also forfeit float for maneuverability.

Most times I am wearing them it is usually forest. In the NE conditions will vary usually.

Still like the extra grip they afford.
My first set of shoes were 14" x 42 Michigan style. Worked great but the width was distracting, often times one shoe stepping on the other mid stride. For my weight and stride a bearpaw 10" wide and another 6-8 longer would be about right. Might have to do some shopping. Still recovering from bi-lateral hernia repair (one week in), won't be on shoes for a few weeks.

Yes, the grip is nice. All that rawhide mesh on hard snow makes a difference.

My first set of shoes were 14" x 42 Michigan style. Worked great but the width was distracting, often times one shoe stepping on the other mid stride. For my weight and stride a bearpaw 10" wide and another 6-8 longer would be about right. Might have to do some shopping. Still recovering from bi-lateral hernia repair (one week in), won't be on shoes for a few weeks.

Heal up. Spring will be here soon (in 2 months 😂).

Reactions: Nodakplowboy

I trend toward synthetic.

I loved my Atlas 25s and would consider going to a 30 but they don't make them in USA anymore.

If I ever buy new shoes probably go with MSR plastic decks made in USA.

I occasionally hit rock.....gut decks likely won't last but they are beautiful.

I trend toward synthetic.

I loved my Atlas 25s and would consider going to a 30 but they don't make them in USA anymore.

If I ever buy new shoes probably go with MSR plastic decks made in USA.

I occasionally hit rock.....gut decks likely won't last but they are beautiful.
I had a pair of these a long time ago. great shoes.
had the add on tails for if you needed to carry more weight. not perfect balance wise and nicer than having 2 pairs in the garage.

I switched to skis and prefer that. More maneuverable and faster for me.

Reactions: Nodakplowboy
first time I had my son and snow at the same time when we didn’t have stuff going on. Or stupid cold out. From house to creek is 300 yards then cross the creek plus 100 yards to a good hill. I pulled him down to the creek and the 100 yards. To sled . After sledding he walked the 300 yards never complained. We had fun.
75B4FB3A-2D58-4442-95F4-9EDD0617E697.jpeg

first time I had my son and snow at the same time when we didn’t have stuff going on. Or stupid cold out. From house to creek is 300 yards then cross the creek plus 100 yards to a good hill. I pulled him down to the creek and the 100 yards. To sled . After sledding he walked the 300 yards never complained. We had fun.
View attachment 7801462
Best times!!!
Just be careful of those jumps and landing weird!!

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Hammer on the wrench to break it loose?
Don’t want to shock it too hard. It could crack or break something. The relief cut is the preferred method and worked well on the last Enfield barrel I removed. I just wanted to try without it on this one.

If my memory serves me correct, they had a ginormous handwheel contraption that allowed them to spin these barrels on stupid right by “hand”.

Reactions: crackerbrown
I ordered this unfinished stock just prior to the Covid outbreak. Took about 9 months to get it, then I had to make a proper rear piler as the one installed wouldn't hold at 10 ip.

I finished it with 5-6 coats of Tru-Oil then began the bedding process. I decided to leave the trigger assembly in place because all the pins and screws were staked at the factory and this trigger is exceptional especially for a bullpup setup.

i-HbTRkHN-L.jpg

i-XwzQ9TC-L.jpg

i-GJG7rRP-L.jpg

i-39vcKGS-L.jpg

Finally, I'm no longer haunted by this unfinished project. Better yet it turned out better than expected.
1986 Remington XP-100 Varmint Special .223 w/ 14" barrel. Round count is less than 150, I purchase it from a friend who bought it new in '86.

I ordered this unfinished stock just prior to the Covid outbreak. Took about 9 months to get it, then I had to make a proper rear piler as the one installed wouldn't hold at 10 ip.

I finished it with 5-6 coats of Tru-Oil then began the bedding process. I decided to leave the trigger assembly in place because all the pins and screws were staked at the factory and this trigger is exceptional especially for a bullpup setup.

i-HbTRkHN-L.jpg

i-XwzQ9TC-L.jpg

i-GJG7rRP-L.jpg

i-39vcKGS-L.jpg

Finally, I'm no longer haunted by this unfinished project. Better yet it turned out better than expected.
1986 Remington XP-100 Varmint Special .223 w/ 14" barrel. Round count is less than 150, I purchase it from a friend who bought it new in '86.
That's freaking awesome and damn sexy! There was a time when i wanted the XP-100 but ended up getting the TC Contender chambered in 7-30 Waters. Killed a few deer and varmints and then sold it.

Reactions: Sieg
For future projects I need to know the brand of rosin and how loud I should cuss.
Volume is secondary to aggressiveness and flow.

And just because I’m kinda jealous of the tasty food you always make, I made the rosin myself from trees in my backyard. It’s a secret family recipe

I'm fixing to have to tourch a can adapter off a barrel.

I normally use rocksett, nope or I use anti sieze, nope but doubt I used loctite.

Maybe it went on dry. The barrel has allready got a vice mark, it's an ar so no shits given about a scratch but trying heat is next.

Got mad and set it aside.

Carbon lock?

I was on the flip side of @roostercogburn98 this afternoon. Spinning on and torquing my 308 barrel back from being threaded at MH. @schroed62 supplied the muscle, supervised, etc... Click...✅

He of course, waylaid white paint off of steel prior to this. Good afternoon.

Timing the brake for the TBAC can is a bit tedious 😡

A4E7843F-C279-4A06-885C-D1E320ED6C10.jpeg

I'm fixing to have to tourch a can adapter off a barrel.

I normally use rocksett, nope or I use anti sieze, nope but doubt I used loctite.

Maybe it went on dry. The barrel has allready got a vice mark, it's an ar so no shits given about a scratch but trying heat is next.

Got mad and set it aside.

Carbon lock?
Boil it in hot water just to make sure you didn’t use rock set. If it did go on dry, and has siezed on, try thermal magic if you have room to put it in a freezer fir a few days.

@tnichols

@GBMaryland said it, I was thinking it. I like that action wrench. I use a surgeon internal when I am messing with that style of action, but that one looks much easier to use.

Timing things is a pita. I worked on setting headspace for the temp barrel some yesterday. I’ll have to take it back off later and cut the extractor groove.

BC1F4BA9-B0EF-489F-8EC2-14A581F85250.jpeg

Boil it in hot water just to make sure you didn’t use rock set. If it did go on dry, and has siezed on, try thermal magic if you have room to put it in a freezer fir a few days.
Pretty sure no rocksett, I have a good boiling system that has worked for years and for more muscle my son tried same (that's when vice pads failed and scrapes happened).

It's in an old quad rail with a close out ring compounding the hassle. Was a thing back in the day. Lol

One more try with some carbon busting stuff then freezing / tourch next.

It's a catch 22.

Was getting 1 1/8 moa out of my plinkers. Could not break that without can installed, (0.8 - 0.9) inconsistent .

51-T flash hider (probably put on dry) and forgotten has a lot of muzzle flip no matter what I do.

I have replacement 51-T muzzle brake and also wanted to test my EC tuner brake against the other configurations strait up.

I have a new 20 inch upper almost finished but serious test will have to include brake in rounds first.

Pretty sure no rocksett, I have a good boiling system that has worked for years and for more muscle my son tried same (that's when vice pads failed and scrapes happened).

It's in an old quad rail with a close out ring compounding the hassle. Was a thing back in the day. Lol

One more try with some carbon busting stuff then freezing / tourch next.

It's a catch 22.

Was getting 1 1/8 moa out of my plinkers. Could not break that without can installed, (0.8 - 0.9) inconsistent .

51-T flash hider (probably put on dry) and forgotten has a lot of muzzle flip no matter what I do.

I have replacement 51-T muzzle brake and also wanted to test my EC tuner brake against the other configurations strait up.

I have a new 20 inch upper almost finished but serious test will have to include brake in rounds first.
Heard those 51t adapters can make groups erratic. My BIL had one that would do crazy thing to his rifle. If it’s just carbine stuck, soaking in some penetroil for several days might help as well. Thermal games might do the trick alone, but some extra can’t hurt.

Reactions: Snuby642
51-T adapters:
The flash hider style suck to shoot without the can for accuracy.

If with can on you get poor results you have a bad mating surface between can and adapter.

It indexes off of the beveled surface. Carbon buildup can prevent solid lockup and some don't mate well from the start.

The lead in thread is huge and long so a one thousands mismatch goes a long way in not letting it lock up properly. Like it just won't quite catch the next tooth.

Clean / lube the can mating surface then clean and if necessary lapp in the adapters mating surface till it snaps in place hard. Will kind of ring.

It will hold poi fine then.

When you do this you will want to remove / loosen can while it is still hot or it may be on till next trip out.

YMMV

Reactions: roostercogburn98