• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Why are we not talking about the devastation in Western NC, TN, and other places?

I'm local to this disaster area and I can confirm the last two posts from Lawless. Yes, things were pretty disorganized the first few days and there were a few (well documented now) instances of egotistical fire chiefs and out of state bureaucrats who'd never seen a gun up close. Things are running much smoother now. Also, fuck Mayorkas.

If resources are starting to pile up unused, then they need to start staging overage for the potential need down in west coast / central Florida region come Wednesday with hurricane Milton.

Too slow to respond.. There in lies the problem. We can see the hurricanes days out before landfall but nothing moves, except maybe the electric companies, with any coordination in the region until a week after landfall.

If resources are starting to pile up unused, then they need to start staging overage for the potential need down in west coast / central Florida region come Wednesday with hurricane Milton.

Too slow to respond.. There in lies the problem. We can see the hurricanes days out before landfall but nothing moves, except maybe the electric companies, with any coordination in the region until a week after landfall.
It's not so much that the resources are piling up unused. Still very much need. The bottleneck is the roads to the most isolated communities. I'm totally serious, first person view, over a week later and there are places, entire towns, that are not accessible by any wheeled vehicle and even a good LZ is limited. Less mountainous communities and cities like Asheville are now totally in clean up mode and turning into the usual bureaucratic nightmare they were before the hurricane. Thankfully, the most rural communities are used to being isolated. Six inches of snow does it most years, for a few days.

The bottleneck is the roads to the most isolated communities.

Yep I mentioned earlier in this thread. It become very evident to me that every man in these Appalachian mountains should own a chainsaw. That does not help with the landslides. But the majority of road closures I saw were tree related.

Also hard copies of maps are very critical to have on hand for when there is no Internet.

This fellow goes on about his qualifications, then shows his ignorance by not addressing how damn long it took for these units he is talking about to get off their asses and do something.
That's true. The bureaucratic government wheels took days to get spun up. No excuse for that. Anyone waiting on an federal response waited too long. Thankfully, local response was immediate, followed by state response, a little slower. My view, Tennessee state response was faster and more efficient than North Carolina, but TN had a little less area to cover and somewhat less mountainous. Either way, neighbors were the best and fastest response, as it should be.

Reactions: notacos4u
That's true. The bureaucratic government wheels took days to get spun up. No excuse for that. Anyone waiting on an federal response waited too long. Thankfully, local response was immediate, followed by state response, a little slower. My view, Tennessee state response was faster and more efficient than North Carolina, but TN had a little less area to cover and somewhat less mountainous. Either way, neighbors were the best and fastest response, as it should be.
there are supposedly whistleblowers complaining the preparation before and deployments after it hit were not well planned or executed,
anyway, glad it is less of a clusterfuck now, if that is true.

yes and anything that comes out about gov wanting to aid the destruction of "deplorable" communities is very easy to believe. easy to believe that the goal is elimination of caucasians. haven't heard any word that the info coming out of maui is not the whole truth.
i await mr.milton.

there are supposedly whistleblowers complaining the preparation before and deployments after it hit were not well planned or executed,
anyway, glad it is less of a clusterfuck now, if that is true.
Well, it would be less of a clusterfuck regardless, just by the passage of time. Seems to me watching this, FEMA is a bureaucratic nightmare we could do without. Maybe they could just stay home and write checks. DOD was a little late to the game, but total rockstars once they got going. It was still the local police, fire departments, and neighbors who owned equipment that were there immediately, because of course they were in the shit too. This is well shown by the number of emergency vehicles in the river and that picture of the Egypt, NC firehouse with the shoulder wide hole cut in the roof. It was a really scary 30 hours or so.

Reactions: notacos4u and taliv
Word from folks I know on the ground who live in the worst affected areas and/or are ferrying supplies daily. Folks I know in Ashe, Watauga and Buncombe. Folks from a NC based offroad board too who are on the ground and working daily.

FEMA is NOT keeping people from helping. Local officials ARE limiting folks from just putzing around gawking. Disaster tourists are out and clogging up roads and hindering efforts.

Supplies are in need of sorting and distribution. Plenty is there, what is needed is bodies to get it ready to go and bodies to get it there.

Military IS there doing deliveries and from several states.

It will be years this is measured in. Some places won’t be the same and some places will not be rebuilt.

Most have no insurance to cover their losses.

The roads and power are fragile in normal times, much less in the face of feet of rain.

Samaritan’s Purse is doing work, Red Cross is a joke. Local churches are in it to win it and who you should seek out to help.
All true, except maybe the fema part.

tennessee has a much much easier job.

The affected areas in tn are on the edge. Eg Erwin got hit hard. The interstate ends in Erwin now. That means everyone to the west wanting to help gets to Erwin almost like normal. Almost anywhere in tn zone is reachable with one tank of gas in the sxs. Or a day hike.

To get to NC you have to go to top of mtn and then down the other side. The roads are normally way curvier than the tail of the dragon not too far from here. (When they’re not washed out blocked with trees and debris and the bridges gone) Then you have 100 miles of affected area. So the people in NC are just so much more isolated than TN. Many areas are still not accessible.

That said, I’ve heard many stories of NC officials, particularly Asheville, not being, as Scott says, emotionally durable enough to handle the crisis.

I can’t imagine how devastating this would be in the 1800s

Well, it would be less of a clusterfuck regardless, just by the passage of time. Seems to me watching this, FEMA is a bureaucratic nightmare we could do without. Maybe they could just stay home and write checks. DOD was a little late to the game, but total rockstars once they got going. It was still the local police, fire departments, and neighbors who owned equipment that were there immediately, because of course they were in the shit too. This is well shown by the number of emergency vehicles in the river and that picture of the Egypt, NC firehouse with the shoulder wide hole cut in the roof. It was a really scary 30 hours or so.
despite reports to the contrary, it is possible people are still having issues with fema.
i can see how locals want to help immediately, and the bureaucracy needs everything to be counted and issued in an orderly fashion.