16-18 inch shorty rifles

6.5CM Shorty I just got back from Altus who bedded the WTO barreled action in for me. 7.2lbs as seen

IMG_3208.jpeg

Probably one of the more unique builds I've done. This was originally a 22" 308 that sat in a McMillan A5 and then a KRG Bravo. I realized that I rarely do distance shooting, so it might make more sense to size down. Was hoping to get it to fit in a tennis bag, but it's just slightly too long.

kMPtTkt.jpeg

Origin SA
JTAC Ind. Screech Owl Chassis
PVA 16.5" 6.5cm Med Palma
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42

Sitting at ~11lbs with everything. Might try a cf barrel in the future to shed some weight.

Probably one of the more unique builds I've done. This was originally a 22" 308 that sat in a McMillan A5 and then a KRG Bravo. I realized that I rarely do distance shooting, so it might make more sense to size down. Was hoping to get it to fit in a tennis bag, but it's just slightly too long.

kMPtTkt.jpeg

Origin SA
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42

Sitting at ~11lbs with everything. Might try a cf barrel in the future to shed some weight.
You can pin/weld a Keymo brake or flash hider on a 14.5" with the JTAC and get it in the tennis bag...

20240823_164035.jpg

i just picked it up a couple of months ago but so far i'm pretty impressed with it. it provides a great picture and handles optical magnification well. i haven't had it out in the cold yet but it handles 95+ percent humidity great

while i would like a true clip on i think it's a great thermal for it's price

kMPtTkt.jpeg

Origin SA
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42

Shoot that barrel yet?

kMPtTkt.jpeg

Origin SA
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42

been debating a JTAC and MDT HNT26 for a while now for a similar build. Hows the weight and ergonomics on the JTAC?

Just bought property in MS, and night hunting is on the menu. I have friends who hunt coyotes on the open farmland here in SE Washington with thermals and they say they are game changers.

I googled that thermal and get $5500 ish pricing?
it sounds like you'll be living my dream , thermals really are a game changer for night hunting

that seems a little high on the price

have you thought about a thermal weapon sight or is a clip on your preference. the newer dedicated sights are pretty awesome with laser range finders and ballistic software or customizable reticle's all built into one unit. they will generally provide a better picture also with higher resolution screens and more adjustments for picture control

pic thread
ruger ranch gen1 in 300blk

Reactions: lash
This speaks to me.

Try some 155 hybrids and H332 if you reload. Does not disappoint.
i'll defiantly pick some up and see how they shoot ;)

i've been working on subsonic loads mostly , the barrel seems to like 200gr lapua bullets

i have some 110's , 125's and 150's to work up when i get to supers , and now some berger's

12" .277 sounds awesome :cool:

i'll defiantly pick some up and see how they shoot ;)

i've been working on subsonic loads mostly , the barrel seems to like 200gr lapua bullets

i have some 110's , 125's and 150's to work up when i get to supers , and now some berger's

12" .277 sounds awesome :cool:

The 110-135s all had the same speed for me regardless of powder charge. I suspect it has to do with the pressure curve and burn rates, essentially burning the same amount of powder in the barrel and the rest in my suppressor.

155s gave me almost complete burn, less muzzle flash, noise and lower SDs.

Shoot me a PM with your address. I’ll ship you some 155 hybrids to try.

Reactions: the_assman and lash
Shoot that barrel yet?
Gonna try factory Hornady 140's first since I don't have my press set up yet.

been debating a JTAC and MDT HNT26 for a while now for a similar build. Hows the weight and ergonomics on the JTAC?
It's a little under 3 lbs for the chassis. As far as ergonomics go, it's actually more comfortable than it looks. I think I might need higher rings though.

Thanks everyone for inspiration when setting this one up. Sold some stuff on here to make it happen.

This setup will be used when the 20" AT or 26" .300 PRC are not the right fit. Painted and set up very similar to be a mini-me of the 300.

16.5" Rem 700 .308
YHM R9
Grayboe Renegade with DIY paint
NX8 4-32 F1 in Warne rings for now.

20240828_145336.jpg

Attachments

• 20240828_144024.jpg
    20240828_144024.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 71
16" 6.5CM is together.

Origin Action
Preferred Barrels 6.5CM cut to 16" and profiled to clearance under the EFR
McMillan A1-3

Weighs 13lbs unloaded without the bipod/suppressor and about 15lbs loaded as pictured.

Attachments

• PXL_20240828_223940202.jpg
    PXL_20240828_223940202.jpg
    1,010.2 KB · Views: 199
  • PXL_20240828_223953893.jpg
    PXL_20240828_223953893.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 192
  • PXL_20240828_224030418.jpg
    PXL_20240828_224030418.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 198
That thing is pretty wild.

I still need to do load development. I ran some oldloads I had for my ATX through it and stacked 10rnds into just over a dime at 100yds before the barrel was turned down.

41.8gr H4350, Hornady Brass, Fed Primers, and 140 ELD-M gave me an average velocity of 2620fps and an SD of 15.

Not the tightest SD so I may tweak it but also fine for sub 800yds.

I still need to do load development. I ran some oldloads I had for my ATX through it and stacked 10rnds into just over a dime at 100yds before the barrel was turned down.

41.8gr H4350, Hornady Brass, Fed Primers, and 140 ELD-M gave me an average velocity of 2620fps and an SD of 15.

Not the tightest SD so I may tweak it but also fine for sub 800yds.
Sometimes these short barrels in 6.5cm can be finicky with Sd's and certain powder. I think if you aren't using a fast enough powder, there is too much unburned and it gets a little weird. H4350 can be borderline it seems, and maybe dependent on bullet and barrel.

Sometimes these short barrels in 6.5cm can be finicky with Sd's and certain powder. I think if you aren't using a fast enough powder, there is too much unburned and it gets a little weird. H4350 can be borderline it seems, and maybe dependent on bullet and barrel.
That's interesting, I hadn't thought of that. Shouldn't make too much of a difference at that distance. Might make a bigger deal when I stretch it out to 1,100.

I find that the a1-3 stock is very comfortable to shoot positionally with, not so much if you are shooting from prone. I'm sure that if I lowered the rings a bit it would help, but I still need it run it somewhat in line with a clip-on.

@NHPiper

Can you go into it a bit more with the A1-3's comfort in other than prone?

Are you meaning off hand, barricades, or tripods? Or is it just anything other than laying down?

Thanks
You may know that the offhand, barricade and tripod positions generally require/benefit from adjustments in cheek rest and butt plate length at the least.

You may know that the offhand, barricade and tripod positions generally require/benefit from adjustments in cheek rest and butt plate length at the least.
Well yeah, I adjust my AR stock based on position.

The A1-3's rear ergonomics are obviously different than chassis systems and vertical grip styles. That is what makes me curious about the "non-prone" ergonomics.

Reactions: NHPiper
@NHPiper

Can you go into it a bit more with the A1-3's comfort in other than prone?

Are you meaning off hand, barricades, or tripods? Or is it just anything other than laying down?

Thanks
Just laying down. The rings are 1.3" so the stock recoil pad ends up sitting low into my body. Less of an issue with an A5 because of the comb and not an issue with a chassis where you can slide the butt pad up so that it's closer to level with the cheek piece.

When standing, kneeling, shooting off of barricades, tripods, etc, it is a non issue (at least for me) because it truly sits in my shoulder.

Reactions: lash and PBWalsh
Poverty pony in progress.

Bergara Ridge SP 18” 6.5 Creed barreled action in an HMR stock. 338 Ultra because who are we kidding, it’s the only correct answer here.

Waiting on the scope base and Arca rail. Weighs 8.5lbs as pictured.

IMG_0435.jpeg

Reactions: the_assman
IMG_1988.jpeg

IMG_1989.jpeg

Picked up an AX chassis in the PX recently. I didn’t originally intend to use it for this, but I think it’s gonna stay this way.
I had this barreled action in an MDT ESS, and wasn’t completely happy with it. Mainly because the forend blocked the “Surgeon Rifles” logo on the action… The AX doesn’t require shaving a notch for the massive bolt release on the 591, like the ESS did.

Well yeah, I adjust my AR stock based on position.

The A1-3's rear ergonomics are obviously different than chassis systems and vertical grip styles. That is what makes me curious about the "non-prone" ergonomics.
I ran a "conventional" style stock like the A1-3 for several years shooting from all the positional stuff. I never had any issues with it but if you are more familiar with a vertical chassis style grip it may take some getting used to. I was the opposite and it took me some time to get used to a very vertical grip coming from a something like that A1-3.

Reactions: PBWalsh
View attachment 8491304
View attachment 8491305

Picked up an AX chassis in the PX recently. I didn’t originally intend to use it for this, but I think it’s gonna stay this way.
I had this barreled action in an MDT ESS, and wasn’t completely happy with it. Mainly because the forend blocked the “Surgeon Rifles” logo on the action… The AX doesn’t require shaving a notch for the massive bolt release on the 591, like the ESS did.
Awesome setup. I did a Christensen 16.5" 6.5 setup very similarly and kinda miss it. Lol

20231122_181647.jpg

20231122_161934.jpg

Here's mine. Seekins Havak Hit with an 18" MTU. Swapped the vertical grip out for an Ergo Deluxe, trimmed the cheek rest so I can remove the bolt without folding it, Area419 bolt knob with extension, Crosstac MK109 brake. I'm currently working on designing a full-length fore-end enclosure to 3D print for it. I had some problems getting the barrel done by Straight Jacket initially, had it fixed locally and it's a fuckin' hammer. Best group was 0.24" 10 shot group with factory ammo. Once I can accept funding the ATF I'll get a can for it.

Seekins Shorty.PNG

Here's mine. Seekins Havak Hit with an 18" MTU. Swapped the vertical grip out for an Ergo Deluxe, trimmed the cheek rest so I can remove the bolt without folding it, Area419 bolt knob with extension, Crosstac MK109 brake. I'm currently working on designing a full-length fore-end enclosure to 3D print for it. I had some problems getting the barrel done by Straight Jacket initially, had it fixed locally and it's a fuckin' hammer. Best group was 0.24" 10 shot group with factory ammo. Once I can accept funding the ATF I'll get a can for it.

View attachment 8497981
What caliber is that? Looks great! How do you like that chassis? folder robust and lock up tight?