• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Accuracy International Picture Thread

My desert techs identify as axsr when I put the 300nm conversions in. And their shorter, have a better barrel retention/rtz system. Abd are more akirite

0ADBF174-FDD7-4581-962C-7D3B2104FE59.jpeg

My AI AT with S&B 12-50x56 SFP PM II, AI competition trigger (1.5lb pull), with custom 26" 6.5CM barrel and AI muzzle brake and thumbhole stock conversion (how an AI should look :)) and Fortmeier bipod. This was at the annual 500 yard 'fly shoot' last year (a club competition held once a year) - unfortunately I didn't hit the fly.

Fly shoot 2023 (AI AT).jpg
Fly shoot 2023.jpg

I really need to try out the 178gr ELDX. I've had Hit/Miss experiences with the 168gr Hornady TAP ELD Precision. Some days it shoots great, some days it shoots like M80 ball.

For what it's worth, I have had horrible experiences with the 178 ELDx or BTHP (same bullet, different tip) in mine. Pressure signs very early.

If you want to buy a bunch of 178 BTHPs I'll sell them for a good deal. My AI must just hate them as my other rifles love them.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
The factory 26" 300wm barrel is 1:10 and the 27" 300wm barrel is 1:8. Which would be better for 190gr gold medal match. Or doesnt it matter for such lightweight peasant ammo

Any of you rocky mountain region boys wanna rock your ai let's go suppressed only with suppressors provided if you don't have one...

Any of you rocky mountain region boys wanna rock your ai let's go suppressed only with suppressors provided if you don't have one...

I'd go with you if I was still in the region. Sad face.

Reactions: plong
For what it's worth, I have had horrible experiences with the 178 ELDx or BTHP (same bullet, different tip) in mine. Pressure signs very early.

If you want to buy a bunch of 178 BTHPs I'll sell them for a good deal. My AI must just hate them as my other rifles love them.
Fuckin Hornady 178 BTHP is trash in mine.

2DDC7782-B065-4502-A351-98CBCB5D6469.jpeg

Fuckin Hornady 178 BTHP is trash in mine.

View attachment 8491202
This is where I'm at. Can shoot tight all day long with FGMM 175gr, but then am all over the place with Hornady TAP ELD Precision 168gr.

But the tightest group I've shot to date was with the Hornady so, I've been immensely confused.

Hornady A-MAX (Black) I'd shoot if I needed something quick and cheap. Unfortunately it's not cheap and FGMM is cheaper.

I'm gonna try the TAP ELD Precision ammo out to further distance and see what I get, and post results. A different barrel would fix a lot of my problems ... 1:12 twist really is dated.

1000011086.jpg

I haven't been able to recreate this good shooting day with the Hornady TAP ELD since. Its important to note that this is with the 20" Lothar-Walther 1:12 4R barrel.

33be714c-3e83-4226-8329-d6db104958f8-1_all_31421.jpg

Federal GMM 175gr has been much more consistent, but simply doesn't have the reach that the TAP ELD Precision (or any Hornady ELD ammo) has with its greater BC.

33be714c-3e83-4226-8329-d6db104958f8-1_all_30134.jpg

Last edited:
Lol.

I wanted to make sure it could fit any scope profile and lazerrrrz so I don't have to use a dremel like I did on my Vortex scope and Reptilia Diving board
No honest question. Cause I have a Raptar rail on my comp gas gun and people were saying it would be too high on thar versus the low pro mount.

C2716E37-2AB5-43D0-9F68-552C44AFD5C8.jpeg

No honest question. Cause I have a Raptar rail on my comp gas gun and people were saying it would be too high on thar versus the low pro mount.

View attachment 8491357
I submit it will come down to personal preference of how much chin weld you need when using the red dot with a higher chin weld being required if the optic is higher and said higher chin weld possibly effecting recoil management.

I just got one of these, and it is perfect for a USO FDN scope as the base of the DeltaPoint Pro, when mounted, is the same height as the USO FDN elevation turret. As such, the red dot rides pretty low and I am able to achieve a sufficient chin weld.

-Stan

Reactions: BurtG
I use accurate mags for both the 223 and wsm/saum conversions
This is my plan as well. The wsm will be a winter project as I’m so busy right now and will be until December. I still have to finish testing the 260 rem barrel and get loads for that.

Open the bolt face (black canyon), 300 WSM Barrel and the 7 round I think it is magazine and I’ll be good to go. Will it feed the wsm? Only time will tell but I’m willing to have a single shot wsm capable AI in short action if it comes to it. It will be shot primarily in 260 anyways. Also have my 18” 308 Bartlein in the safe should I decide to play with that later on as well.

I wanted the second AI to be more of the play/switch barrel setup. Where the other is always setup with the 20” 308 barrel. That’s the deer management setup and I prefer not to mess with it

I bought the AT first. Took a journey through the AXMC, ATX and back to another thumbhole AT. It’s my preference

Reactions: Edsel and DKN83
High red dots. Low red dots. Does that half inch make a difference ?

View attachment 8491331View attachment 8491332
So, this is used for two purposes: close rapid engagements that just "have to hit" a man sized target, or more importantly and for our purposes, simply for rapid indexing of the target.

As long as you can see over the turret to see the dot, the lower the better. All I'm doing with any of mine is popping my head up, lining the red dot as close to where I think the target is, then dropping my head down to the reticle in the hopes that I'm much closer on-target than I would be trying to hunt for it without, or having to take the time to dial magnification back, then dial forward again.

Some folks can index on-target just fine with only the top of the turret as a guide. Unfortunately I'm too OCD and have found the red dot to be the most effective means for me to get on-target as expediently and as efficiently as possible. My red dot is also zero'd for 100 yards and have enough confidence in it that in a rapid "surprise" engagement I would at least be hitting something.

That's it. That's all its for: to get you on- or close to on-target. Just remember height over bore when shooting from 10-50 yards with it, and the heigh t isn't going to make a big difference. Just don't expect the red dot to perfectly align with whatever you're aiming at out at disdance on the reticle. Its just a guide, nothing more.

This is my plan as well. The wsm will be a winter project as I’m so busy right now and will be until December. I still have to finish testing the 260 rem barrel and get loads for that.

Open the bolt face (black canyon), 300 WSM Barrel and the 7 round I think it is magazine and I’ll be good to go. Will it feed the wsm? Only time will tell but I’m willing to have a single shot wsm capable AI in short action if it comes to it. It will be shot primarily in 260 anyways. Also have my 18” 308 Bartlein in the safe should I decide to play with that later on as well.

I wanted the second AI to be more of the play/switch barrel setup. Where the other is always setup with the 20” 308 barrel. That’s the deer management setup and I prefer not to mess with it

I bought the AT first. Took a journey through the AXMC, ATX and back to another thumbhole AT. It’s my preference
My bolt is originally from trophyhunter and my barrel is from spr but yes it feeds fine from the 7rd. Haven’t tried smaller ones.

I originally told myself I would “save” money by getting a switch barrel Ai with only needing one action one scope. Yeah that didn’t really pan out lol

I have left and right handed ATs dressed entirely in black thumbhole plastic, with Kahles k624i scopes having consecutive serial numbers despite having been bought from different dealers two years apart.

All hail the AI Thumbhole Stock Master Race!!!

Both of my conversions are not originally from him but my barrels are.

Someone(maybe even Greg) in this thread I believe said that they would not be doing them anymore due to bolt availability. Best to secure your own bolt if its something you want to do it seems

Reactions: Rhed
Both of my conversions are not originally from him but my barrels are.

Someone(maybe even Greg) in this thread I believe said that they would not be doing them anymore due to bolt availability. Best to secure your own bolt if its something you want to do it seems

Correct, in the other thread Greg said he had 2 or 3 223 bolt heads left and after that he's probably done. He said the conversions need too much fiddling to get to run.

Greg's post here: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-223-conversion-working.6945653/post-11739135

I liked my 223 conversion when I had it, but it didn't run as well as my dedicated 223 build on a custom action, so I sold it, even though I had been wanting a 223 conversion for my AI for years. Sometimes I regret selling it, sometimes I don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: BurtG
Question for those of you who have chopped barrels…

I’m thinking of either hacking down my AXSR’s 24” 308 barrel down to 14.5 or 16 -OR- buying a proof SS prefit 308 and having it cut to either 14.5 or 16.

If I do 14.5, I’ll obviously have to do the pin/weld of the brake…which I would want timed. I don’t want to send off the rifle so do you think a black marker indicating the timing for the smith would suffice?

Or do ya think that 16 is just better for the lack of hassle and ease of cleaning the crown?

And I’ll obviously 5axis dremel my forend down to let it fit. 🥰

• Angry
Reactions: J-Ham

I’m thinking of either hacking down my AXSR’s 24” 308 barrel down to 14.5 or 16 -OR- buying a proof SS prefit 308 and having it cut to either 14.5 or 16.

If I do 14.5, I’ll obviously have to do the pin/weld of the brake…which I would want timed. I don’t want to send off the rifle so do you think a black marker indicating the timing for the smith would suffice?

Or do ya think that 16 is just better for the lack of hassle and ease of cleaning the crown?

Like 0 perf difference between a 14.5 and a 16......

I chose to buy a proof prefit for my 6.5 and had it cut and profiled to 18" for an AEM5-30. The stock barrel was just too nice IMO to cut the length down and the proof was the right price. If you have expert voice or qualify Proof barrels for the AI are on there.

Personally I'd just go 16" so that you're not ending up with the timing being off a few degrees left / right and it driving you crazy....plus who knows you might change muzzle devices or want to salvage that one once your barrel is shot out.

Pin and weld 14.5” is carbine stuff. I’d just stick with 16” or longer where maneuverability and vehicle egress aren’t primary concerns.
I chose to buy a proof prefit for my 6.5 and had it cut and profiled to 18" for an AEM5-30. The stock barrel was just too nice IMO to cut the length down and the proof was the right price. If you have expert voice or qualify Proof barrels for the AI are on there.

Personally I'd just go 16" so that you're not ending up with the timing being off a few degrees left / right and it driving you crazy....plus who knows you might change muzzle devices or want to salvage that one once your barrel is shot out.
Who did your profiling? I assume collarless?

Pin and weld 14.5” is carbine stuff. I’d just stick with 16” or longer where maneuverability and vehicle egress aren’t primary concerns.

Who did your profiling? I assume collarless?
I sent it off to Allegheny Arms and went collarless. I think turn around was 1...1.5 weeks? He did a phenomenal job and even cloned the proof serial and markings onto the barrel where it's covered by the can. Sorry about the crap picture....my phone kinda sucks and I pulled it off my instagram since the weather isn't great right now

1725150566756.png