• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Accuracy International Picture Thread

Untitledcase.gif

It’s judgement free because nobody has posted a pic of an arken yet

As for case, I’m just using the eberlestock scabbard. I kinda want a cool custom cut foam one but getting on a plane these days is a death wish so I don’t guess I need a hard case

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Hey what do you guys use for height over bore on an AXSR?
(Ie height from center of bore to top of pic rail? Plus the 1.53” mount)

Wut? No you fold the stock to the side get out your measuring stick and measure from the center of your scope occular to the firing pin cocking indicator

• Haha
Reactions: taliv
Post a photo of your rig wearing an Arken and then say that... :D
1726263078737.png

I put an mlok attachment for a QD sling and didn’t realize for the last couple days it was pushing my barrel to the side. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Shouldn’t affect it right? Just rezero maybe. I’m sad lol barrel has scars now
You realize that is the exact reason they come with keyslot

I suppose the handgard moved not the barrel so probably not a big deal. The barrel contour gives less clearance there so I’ll have to be more careful. 🥲
You didn’t damage it if that’s what you’re worried about

This is exactly the argument made for the keyslot “penis” system.

Not only is the keyslot much stronger due to the design. But the screws sit flush with the inside of the forend

What you did is minimal. Having rails on there and removing/installing barrels with screws sticking could damage tenon threads or very least scratch the barrel. It also limits your barrel profile size as it takes up room inside the forend vs keyslot

Keyslot for the win. Other than rails and maybe a QD sling mount I can’t think of a lot more you’d really need to attach.

People mention cheaper accessories and I mean yeah the rails are expensive but if $80-$90 is holding you back from getting one for your $10,000 AI then you probably went down the wrong road to begin with

You didn’t damage it if that’s what you’re worried about

This is exactly the argument made for the keyslot “penis” system.

Not only is the keyslot much stronger due to the design. But the screws sit flush with the inside of the forend

What you did is minimal. Having rails on there and removing/installing barrels with screws sticking could damage tenon threads or very least scratch the barrel. It also limits your barrel profile size as it takes up room inside the forend vs keyslot

Keyslot for the win. Other than rails and maybe a QD sling mount I can’t think of a lot more you’d really need to attach.

People mention cheaper accessories and I mean yeah the rails are expensive but if $80-$90 is holding you back from getting one for your $10,000 AI then you probably went down the wrong road to begin with
Yeah it all makes sense to me now. I just wanted a longer forend rail with integrated arca for my axsa so i grabbed the first one and it happened to be the mlok model. Wasn’t a money thing more of availability.

Only things I’m attaching are 2 round quiver (which doesn’t seem to touch the barrel even by the widest contour), weights, and a QD attachment.

I have filed down many an MLOK screw to avoid touching a barrel.

-Stan
Right filing down is the best way. I had to file my screws down for my lmt mws I’m working on now. But that can’t change the barrel with mlok accessories on it

The mlok vs quad lmt reminds me of the mlok vs keyslot argument

The thickest part of the barrel has to pass the forend accessories on an AI like the lmt. Which if you have rails in every side can limit the barrel profiles.

I know guys here have tested straight 1.25 barrels on ATX and AX or 1.35 taper to 1.25 or whatever the AXMC/AXSR are and had issues with the forend making contact while firing.

Maybe I’m wrong but it seems mlok would be a tight squeeze if you wanted to run comp profiles

Reactions: xxflyingturtlexx
PXL_20240911_1417595982.jpg

Ammo testing with 20" and 24" Lothar Walther 1:12 Twist barrels AT308s. They seem to like Federal Gold Medal match 175gr, and Norma Golden Target 175gr. The 24" barrel really likes Hornady Black A-Max 168gr but, I'm still testing to see how true this is. I still can't get either AT308 to shoot real well with Hornady TAP ELD Precision 168gr, but the tan AT is getting 0.8MOA from it, while I need to do more testing to know what the green AT can do.

I've removed and reinstalled both barrels, and torqued to 49 inch/lbs with Fixit Stick dedicated torque limiter. Tan rifle was 2 click, Green rifle 3 click to slightly over-torque. I'm still trying to find one round for both that 1) groups 0.6 MOA or better (10 round) and 2) gets me to 1000 yards effectively, 900 yards consistent. At this point, I'm completely open to factory ammo suggestions that both barrels would like. I'm considering a heavier ELD round, going with Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-x 178gr. If anyone has experience with this ammo from the Walther barrels, can you tell me about it?

View attachment 8503615

Ammo testing with 20" and 24" Lothar Walther 1:12 Twist barrels AT308s. They seem to like Federal Gold Medal match 175gr, and Norma Golden Target 175gr. The 24" barrel really likes Hornady Black A-Max 168gr but, I'm still testing to see how true this is. I still can't get either AT308 to shoot real well with Hornady TAP ELD Precision 168gr, but the tan AT is getting 0.8MOA from it, while I need to do more testing to know what the green AT can do.

I've removed and reinstalled both barrels, and torqued to 49 inch/lbs with Fixit Stick dedicated torque limiter. Tan rifle was 2 click, Green rifle 3 click to slightly over-torque. I'm still trying to find one round for both that 1) groups 0.6 MOA or better (10 round) and 2) gets me to 1000 yards effectively, 900 yards consistent. At this point, I'm completely open to factory ammo suggestions that both barrels would like. I'm considering a heavier ELD round, going with Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-x 178gr. If anyone has experience with this ammo from the Walther barrels, can you tell me about it?
No big offense to you, but are you capable of .6" 10rd groups consistently? I'd pick the ammo that's shooting best right now that you can get a lot of and get plenty of trigger time before you list criteria like that.

As for torque, many of us found 55inlb was a more constant torque when swapping barrels. Once it's clamped in at 49 or 65 the accuracy won't change, it just effects the repeatable poi when swapping.

No big offense to you, but are you capable of .6" 10rd groups consistently? I'd pick the ammo that's shooting best right now that you can get a lot of and get plenty of trigger time before you list criteria like that.

As for torque, many of us found 55inlb was a more constant torque when swapping barrels. Once it's clamped in at 49 or 65 the accuracy won't change, it just effects the repeatable poi when swapping.
Short answer: yes. 0.6MOA on a good day, 0.85MOA on a bad day. So, picking the right ammo to stock up on is my priority.

Screenshot_20240830-221532.png

This is the sole time I was ever able to group Hornady TAP ELD Precision 168gr well; it was like a laser beam and felt effortless. This one box shot well the entire day across the board. This was in March 2024, and I haven't been able to replicate it since. I'm trying to get it to work again as it is the ammo I wish to use while also having the best BC and features for long range.
PhotoCollageMaker_20240903_024209222.jpg

The entire day shooting Fed. GMM SMK 175gr was consistent like this with the 20" Walther barrel. If I had to grab just one ammo today I could count on, it'd be this. But, it has the worst range and BC.
PhotoCollageMaker_20240911_234259079.jpg

This has been the current trend with Hornady TAP ELD Precision 168gr, tested with both the 20" and 24" barrel. Since removing and retorquing the barrels on both rifles, the groups have shrunk from 4MOA down to this. The 24" likes it a lot more, and without the flier, it would have been a 0.8 MOA group. I need to get more of the ammo and test more for a greater set of data.
PhotoCollageMaker_20240911_235224655.jpg

Both rifles now, strangely, like Hornady Black A-Max 168gr: 20" above, 24" below. They were shooting around 2 MOA prior. This is was unexpected and also needs more shot data.

Considering these are 1/2 to 1/4 MOA rifles, this isn't hard to accomplish -- with the right ammo -- and I've been transparent on here, on r/LongRange and on Instagram with all my shot data. What I'm struggling to wrestle with are the quirks of a 1:12 twist barrel with modern ammunition. And so far, the 20" rifle feels different from the 24" which I'm also trying to understand: the 24" is notably easier to shoot, easier to handle.

There's gotta be guys here with years upon years of Arctic Warfare AW308 experience who can lend their thoughts, yea? What have been your experiences? What are you old dogs using besides custom loads? What factory ammo did you love best for your AWs? Right now, the best option I have is "Go with Fed. GMM SMK 175gr and accept being limited to 800 yards effective, 900 yards max." And I'm not satisfied with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: TylerN
Short answer: yes. 0.6MOA on a good day, 0.85MOA on a bad day. So, picking the right ammo to stock up on is my priority.

View attachment 8503766
This is the sole time I was ever able to group Hornady TAP ELD Precision 168gr well; it was like a laser beam and felt effortless. This one box shot well the entire day across the board. This was in March 2024, and I haven't been able to replicate it since. I'm tring to get it to work again.
View attachment 8503767
The entire day shooting Fed. GMM SMK 175gr was consistent like this with the 20" Walther barrel. If I had to grab just one ammo today I could count on, it'd be this. But, it has the worst range and BC.
View attachment 8503768
This has been the current trend with Hornady TAP ELD Precision 168gr, tested with both the 20" and 24" barrel. Since removing and retorquing the barrels on both rifles, the groups have shrunk from 4MOA down to this. The 24" likes it a lot more, and without the flier, it would have been a 0.8 MOA group. I need to get more of the ammo and test more for a greater set of data.
View attachment 8503769
Both rifles now, strangely, like Hornady Black A-Max 168gr: 20" above, 24" below. They were shooting around 2 MOA prior. This is was unexpected and also needs more shot data.

Considering these are 1/2 to 1/4 MOA rifles, this isn't hard to accomplish -- with the right ammo -- and I've been transparent on here, on r/LongRange and on Instagram with all my shot data. What I'm struggling to wrestle with are the quirks of a 1:12 twist barrel with modern ammunition. And so far, the 20" rifle feels different from the 24" which I'm also trying to understand: the 24" is notably easier to shoot, easier to handle.

There's gotta be guys here with years upon years of Arctic Warfare AW308 experience who can lend their thoughts, yea? Right now, the best option I have is "Go with Fed. GMM SMK 175gr and accept being limited to 800 yards effective, 900 yards max." And I'm not satisfied with that.
If you’re open to handloading, I know that some tac-class guys in PRS push 178s around 2800 fps to stay super out to 1k. It’d be hot out of the 24” as I think this is usually done out of a 26 or 28.

You will NOT be limited on range with 175 FGMM. That stuff is 2700 fps out of a 24". I learned to shoot with Jacob Bynum shooting m118lr at sea level and that stuff is going 2550 fps. We could still get to 1k. You will easily be able to hit 1K with 175 FGMM and your barrel loves it. It should shoot in the .2 to .3 range with it in the 1:12 barrel.

If you ever get the itch to get rid of that factory 1:12 let me know and I'll buy it. I love those LW barrels.

You will NOT be limited on range with 175 FGMM. That stuff is 2700 fps out of a 24". I learned to shoot with Jacob Bynum shooting m118lr at sea level and that stuff is going 2550 fps. We could still get to 1k. You will easily be able to hit 1K with 175 FGMM and your barrel loves it. It should shoot in the .2 to .3 range with it in the 1:12 barrel.

If you ever get the itch to get rid of that factory 1:12 let me know and I'll buy it. I love those LW barrels.
I'm getting 2512FPS from the 20" barrel. I wasn't able to record proper velocities from the 24" and redoing that is a priority of mine. But I'm suspecting around 2600FPS. With the 20" barrel, FGMM is going transonic right at 800 yards, and subsonic at 1000 yards. With the 24" barrel, FGMM is trans at 825 yards and subsonic at 1025 yards. Effectively hitting within the transonic range is not easy to do.

• Haha
Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
My factory barrel is 2750 with 175 FGMM.

Where do you live that a 175 is going transsonic at 800?

That 175 at 2550 is still going 1175 at 1000 in a standard atmosphere.

Do you live in Death Valley when it is freezing or something? It is pretty hard to get an atmosphere that dense.
Altitude is 1050 ft. I double checked latest data from my chronograph, and since reseating the barrel, the 20" is getting 2550fps from Fed. GMM SMK 175gr; I've gained 50-75fps since the reseating and retorquing of it. I don't currently have data on the 24" barrel, as it got corrupted and didn't capture the velocities.

All I shoot right now is FGMM 175gr .308 and it's consistently around 2600 in my 24" (1/10 and 1/12) and 26" (1/10) barrels. @MK20 are you sure you're getting 2750 from FGMM .308 and not the 7.62? Because that's the only way I was able to get anything over 2700.

Regardless, @HKSniper11B you'd do fine with the 175gr SMK even if it is going transonic. Frankly, I think the accuracy gain you've demonstrated with that ammo will outweigh the ballistic advantage going with something else. That said, have you tried the 185 FGMM yet?

Reactions: HKSniper11B
View attachment 8503615

I saw this on IG and just gave you a follow, small world :D

Last edited:
Reactions: HKSniper11B
All I shoot right now is FGMM 175gr .308 and it's consistently around 2600 in my 24" (1/10 and 1/12) and 26" (1/10) barrels. @MK20 are you sure you're getting 2750 from FGMM .308 and not the 7.62? Because that's the only way I was able to get anything over 2700.

Regardless, @HKSniper11B you'd do fine with the 175gr SMK even if it is going transonic. Frankly, I think the accuracy gain you've demonstrated with that ammo will outweigh the ballistic advantage going with something else. That said, have you tried the 185 FGMM yet?
I was seriously thinking the same thing, but never said it out loud: that the accuracy gain from FGMM SMK 175gr outweighs the ballistic advantage of something else. That just might end up being the answer.

Haven't tried 185gr Federal Bergers. I recall another member testing that ammo, and it was insanely wild. I believe 180gr and under will be the best I can work with. Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X 178gr is still being considered. I just need to get out and grab a box or two already.

I was seriously thinking the same thing, but never said it out loud: that the accuracy gain from FGMM SMK 175gr outweighs the ballistic advantage of something else. That just might end up being the answer.

Haven't tried 185gr Federal Bergers. I recall another member testing that ammo, and it was insanely wild. I believe 180gr and under will be the best I can work with. Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X 178gr is still being considered. I just need to get out and grab a box or two already.
I was getting better accuracy from IMI 175gr than anything else but higher SD/ES, ended up going with FGMM as it shot better at distance and kept me in Tac Class for PRS.

The 185's shoot great out of my LW 24" barrel though so if you're not limiting yourself for PRS or something then you should give them a fair shake.

And most importantly, shoot groups at distance!

IMG_7528.jpeg

(Not me, just my rifle)

I was getting better accuracy from IMI 175gr than anything else but higher SD/ES, ended up going with FGMM as it shot better at distance and kept me in Tac Class for PRS.

The 185's shoot great out of my LW 24" barrel though so if you're not limiting yourself for PRS or something then you should give them a fair shake.

And most importantly, shoot groups at distance!

View attachment 8503913
(Not me, just my rifle)
Max distance I have right now is 300 yards. Waiting on the 700 yard range to open up. I'm gonna have to try out a box of 185gr. I have a dozen boxes. If I can get that to work well? That would be the perfect round to use. I just hope it can stablize well enough out that far despite the 1:12 twist. This input helped a lot man. Thank you!

All you guys getting over 2600 from 175FGMM in a 24” can go take a long hike off a tall building. 🥲

46F8A36F-AA56-4613-BD20-2F618A248F00.jpeg