• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Accuracy International Picture Thread

I'm getting the same numbers from my 24", maybe up to 2615 depending on the lot. My 26" gives me 2620-2630. I have a 20" that does like 2550-2560.

If you can get some of the 7.62 be ready to ride the lightning.

Edit for pics.

Attachments

• IMG_6866.jpg
    IMG_6866.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7074.jpg
    IMG_7074.jpg
    707.3 KB · Views: 49
I'm getting the same numbers from my 24", maybe up to 2615 depending on the lot. My 26" gives me 2620-2630. I have a 20" that does like 2550-2560.

If you can get some of the 7.62 be ready to ride the lightning.
I better go hit up some B4s to find some real M118LR thats fallen off a supply truck.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Short answer: yes. 0.6MOA on a good day, 0.85MOA on a bad day. So, picking the right ammo to stock up on is my priority.

View attachment 8503766
This is the sole time I was ever able to group Hornady TAP ELD Precision 168gr well; it was like a laser beam and felt effortless. This one box shot well the entire day across the board. This was in March 2024, and I haven't been able to replicate it since. I'm trying to get it to work again as it is the ammo I wish to use while also having the best BC and features for long range.
View attachment 8503767
The entire day shooting Fed. GMM SMK 175gr was consistent like this with the 20" Walther barrel. If I had to grab just one ammo today I could count on, it'd be this. But, it has the worst range and BC.
View attachment 8503768
This has been the current trend with Hornady TAP ELD Precision 168gr, tested with both the 20" and 24" barrel. Since removing and retorquing the barrels on both rifles, the groups have shrunk from 4MOA down to this. The 24" likes it a lot more, and without the flier, it would have been a 0.8 MOA group. I need to get more of the ammo and test more for a greater set of data.
View attachment 8503769
Both rifles now, strangely, like Hornady Black A-Max 168gr: 20" above, 24" below. They were shooting around 2 MOA prior. This is was unexpected and also needs more shot data.

Considering these are 1/2 to 1/4 MOA rifles, this isn't hard to accomplish -- with the right ammo -- and I've been transparent on here, on r/LongRange and on Instagram with all my shot data. What I'm struggling to wrestle with are the quirks of a 1:12 twist barrel with modern ammunition. And so far, the 20" rifle feels different from the 24" which I'm also trying to understand: the 24" is notably easier to shoot, easier to handle.

There's gotta be guys here with years upon years of Arctic Warfare AW308 experience who can lend their thoughts, yea? What have been your experiences? What are you old dogs using besides custom loads? What factory ammo did you love best for your AWs? Right now, the best option I have is "Go with Fed. GMM SMK 175gr and accept being limited to 800 yards effective, 900 yards max." And I'm not satisfied with that.
you are not limited to only 800 yards with GM308M2 out of a 20 inch AT. I have the same set up that shoots GM308M2 right around 2500 FPS printing .8 moa groups at 100M and I am able to hit a 30inch square steel at 1000M very consistently. With 14 mils adjustment on elevation, the bullet indeed gets heavily effected by wind, but it is still very capable out to 1000M.
Image_20240917115430.jpg
Image_20240917115438.jpg
Image_20240917115449.jpg

you are not limited to only 800 yards with GM308M2 out of a 20 inch AT. I have the same set up that shoots GM308M2 right around 2500 FPS printing .8 moa groups at 100M and I am able to hit a 30inch square steel at 1000M very consistently. With 14 mils adjustment on elevation, the bullet indeed gets heavily effected by wind, but it is still very capable out to 1000M. View attachment 8503954View attachment 8503955View attachment 8503956
This gives me a LOT of hope man. And this is exactly the kind of information and feedback I needed. Thank you!

Reactions: JINm40a1
PhotoCollageMaker_20240917_141639971.jpg

Serial numbers were blurred out.
It took a while to properly build these, but it is a 9.5"x4.5"x3" cleaning kit that holds everything. It is a children's school pencil case that originally came with a hook-loop American flag on it. The new Label Patch was custom made from Tactical Gear Junkies.

* Torque Tools are from Fixit Sticks, for scope and barrel screw
* Hex Keys are from Klein, with two separate keys for the scope (in my case, 3/32nds for Leupold turrets)
* Barrel wrench is from Gedore in Germant, a rubberized and chromed medical wrench, chosen so it doesn't marr or scuff the barrel
* Cleaning kit is from OTIS, their base kit that has bronze rods, with added nylon bore brushes
* Factory Accuracy International milled aluminum bore guide, imported from the UK. The US version is polymer.
* Hoppe's Viper Boresnake; Pro-Shot 2" bore cleaning patches
* Lens brush and microfiber cleaning cloth included

If anyone wants specific part numbers and websites to get each item, let me know and I'll do the work to update this post with everything. But I figured this is something that everyone here would want to see put together and possibly replicate.

Last edited:
Holy crap. Alright, that actually gives me a lot of hope. As those ELD-X rounds are pretty much "1000 yards all day long" from what I'm seeing from my AP ballistics calculator. Its impressive how tight it groups!
Not saying factory ammo will shoot like this. I don’t take these to 1000 as they’re just deer droppers. But it will hold 1/2 moa at 300 yards on a good day

Holy crap. Alright, that actually gives me a lot of hope. As those ELD-X rounds are pretty much "1000 yards all day long" from what I'm seeing from my AP ballistics calculator. Its impressive how tight it groups

I would strongly warn you to test these in your barrel first. My 24" barrel starts popping primers with Hornady 178s at 2500 fps while spitting sierra 175s at 2720 all day long with primers still nice and round.

Reactions: HKSniper11B
Short answer: yes. 0.6MOA on a good day, 0.85MOA on a bad day. So, picking the right ammo to stock up on is my priority.

View attachment 8503766
This is the sole time I was ever able to group Hornady TAP ELD Precision 168gr well; it was like a laser beam and felt effortless. This one box shot well the entire day across the board. This was in March 2024, and I haven't been able to replicate it since. I'm trying to get it to work again as it is the ammo I wish to use while also having the best BC and features for long range.
View attachment 8503767
The entire day shooting Fed. GMM SMK 175gr was consistent like this with the 20" Walther barrel. If I had to grab just one ammo today I could count on, it'd be this. But, it has the worst range and BC.
View attachment 8503768
This has been the current trend with Hornady TAP ELD Precision 168gr, tested with both the 20" and 24" barrel. Since removing and retorquing the barrels on both rifles, the groups have shrunk from 4MOA down to this. The 24" likes it a lot more, and without the flier, it would have been a 0.8 MOA group. I need to get more of the ammo and test more for a greater set of data.
View attachment 8503769
Both rifles now, strangely, like Hornady Black A-Max 168gr: 20" above, 24" below. They were shooting around 2 MOA prior. This is was unexpected and also needs more shot data.

Considering these are 1/2 to 1/4 MOA rifles, this isn't hard to accomplish -- with the right ammo -- and I've been transparent on here, on r/LongRange and on Instagram with all my shot data. What I'm struggling to wrestle with are the quirks of a 1:12 twist barrel with modern ammunition. And so far, the 20" rifle feels different from the 24" which I'm also trying to understand: the 24" is notably easier to shoot, easier to handle.

There's gotta be guys here with years upon years of Arctic Warfare AW308 experience who can lend their thoughts, yea? What have been your experiences? What are you old dogs using besides custom loads? What factory ammo did you love best for your AWs? Right now, the best option I have is "Go with Fed. GMM SMK 175gr and accept being limited to 800 yards effective, 900 yards max." And I'm not satisfied with that.
Factory ammunition used to be #1 Lapua 167 Scenar consistently 1/2 moa, Federal GM Match 175 Sierra MK, Black Hills 175 Sierra MK.
"Handloads money loads" Winchester .308 brass, Fed 210 GM Primer, Varget, and either a 175 Sierra MK or the 155 MK Palma. Typically 32 pounds of the same lot of Varget it was time for a new barrel:)

• Love
I'm throwing this into the hat as I pulled out my targets from the last range session:

Norma Golden Target (GTX) 175gr .308 for the Lothar-Walther 1:12 barrels, 20" and 24". Putting the data here so hopefully someone else can find it useful. I think it could group tighter, on a day with no wind and better fundamentals by the shooter. It has an unusually high BC of 0.547 G1 and a length of 1.236", shorter than the 175gr SMKs 1.24".

PhotoCollageMaker_20240917_183022598.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 16.5" 6.5creed barrel and get 2560fps with a 140smk. Just slapped the load together I'm sure you can get a bit more out of it. Really fun setup. No problem to 1k, acts a bit like a slower 308 though with 140s. 142s and a bit more speed would do excellent.

For the pic chick's.

View attachment 8468737
Who makes that spigot?

View attachment 8503969

Serial numbers were blurred out.
It took a while to properly build these, but it is a 9.5"x4.5"x3" cleaning kit that holds everything. It is a children's school pencil case that originally came with a hook-loop American flag on it. The new Label Patch was custom made from Tactical Gear Junkies.

* Torque Tools are from Fixit Sticks, for scope and barrel screw
* Hex Keys are from Klein, with two separate keys for the scope (in my case, 3/32nds for Leupold turrets)
* Barrel wrench is from Gedore in Germant, a rubberized and chromed medical wrench, chosen so it doesn't marr or scuff the barrel
* Cleaning kit is from OTIS, their base kit that has bronze rods, with added nylon bore brushes
* Factory Accuracy International milled aluminum bore guide, imported from the UK. The US version is polymer.
* Hoppe's Viper Boresnake; Pro-Shot 2" bore cleaning patches
* Lens brush and microfiber cleaning cloth included

If anyone wants specific part numbers and websites to get each item, let me know and I'll do the work to update this post with everything. But I figured this is something that everyone here would want to see put together and possibly replicate.
Oooh we doing AI field kits? Here's my field maintenance kit for the AXSR, just housed in some generic hardshell case. The fixit pouch also has a card with all the various torque specs for the AXSR on it underneath the tools. It houses my caliber conversion bolts (have all three), a spare firing pin assembly, a spare trigger, and a fixit kit with 49-inch/lbs + variable torque stop as well as all the bits and pieces needed to field strip any part of the rifle including an extended ballhead bit to get the action out/torqued, but not visible in picture. I keep my cleaning stuff in an old ammo case that just lives in the truck but do keep a boresnake in the bag as well (y)

ai-kit-1.jpg

ai-kit-2.jpg

@HKSniper11B - 20" barrel: she loves them 185 juggs (doubleD - that's 2)...slippin out the crown at ~2580fps (PS Mills Fleet Farm had(s) them for $1.6per). No problem with 1000yd @ mid 10's running just a tad behind the normal curve of 400yd @0.5s, 700y @ 1s, 1000y @1.5 with Strelok saying 1.6x but still holding ~730ft-lbs...

clip on thermal w/ easy 1st rd connections at 600yd (2MOA tgt)

@BurtG ever consider taking a sawzall to your forend - "just the tip" and get a 14"CF bbl (P&W@16ATFyakunts)? I need you to tell me the water is fine before I jump on that ;)

@HKSniper11B - 20" barrel: she loves them 185 juggs (doubleD - that's 2)...slippin out the crown at ~2580fps (PS Mills Fleet Farm had(s) them for $1.6per). No problem with 1000yd @ mid 10's running just a tad behind the normal curve of 400yd @0.5s, 700y @ 1s, 1000y @1.5 with Strelok saying 1.6x but still holding ~730ft-lbs...

@BurtG ever consider taking a sawzall to your forend - "just the tip" and get a 14"CF bbl (P&W@16ATFyakunts)? I need you to tell me the water is fine before I jump on that ;)

Pretty sure our boy did that chop already.... @SkyScrapin

Yup, and you have a Bartlein/WinTac 1:10 twist 5R barrel, which is exactly why your AT-X likes 185gr; that round is perfect for that barrel. If I had the same barrel, much of what I'm asking would be moot.

185gr Berger Juggernauts won't stabilize well enough in the older Lothar-Walther 4R 1:12 twist barrel, used on the Arctic Warfare, and AT308. And evidence of this can be seen -- compared with the Fed. GMM SMK 175gr -- on the Berger Bullet Stability Calculator: https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

So unless you got an Arctic Warfare or Anti-Terrorist in your collection to talk dirty about, your info doesn't help much.

Last edited:
why not just get the $600 barrel?

ive been in hibernation or awhile but im still lost as to why this is a big deal

and sorry for giving you 2 seconds of my time @HKSniper11B ?? maybe find a different tone Im just trying to help you
The ballistics are notably different in the Bartlein 5R 1:10 twist barrels, and superior to boot. Unfortunately, they are out of stock and are slowly being caught up. I spoke to Bartlein personally inquiring, but it'll be a while. Next year sometime, is what I heard. Further, they're in the $900-1000 range in price, $791 with my military discount. And as long as I'm spending money changing things, I could just switch to a better caliber, or change to a different rifle altogether. But that isn't the point, so I digress...

The Lothar-Walther barrel is extremely capable. What's baffled me is how few on SH and elsewhere have documented ballistics with it, even reviewing this thread and others from many years past. That said, the standard was 168gr FGMM for a long time, along with Black Hills 168gr. And, many at that time saw 800-900 yards as the limit regardless. Even just 10 to 20 years ago, ballistic expectations were different. Recall that the Accuracy International PM was designed to shoot (UPDATED): 7.62×51mm L2A2 144gr Ball Ammunition which absolutely does not have the ballistic capabilities of today's ammunition i.e. SMK.

So, I'm left wondering how today -- with modern ballistics and modern rounds -- are AW and AT owners maximizing the original Arctic Warfare profile 4R 1:12 twist Walther barrel and pushing it to 1000 yards. And if they are, then how, and with what round?

Q.E.D... if you are taking my response personally -- while laughing at my previous posts and disingenuously responding -- then those emotions are yours to own, and not my responsibility. We're all adults here.

Last edited:
im not an expert on Lothar 1/12 4R but I essentially have never heard anyone say they dislike the shift from 169 to 175's. Try the 175s from federal
Yup. We were discussing that and that's where we started the discussion. FGMM 175gr SMKs are fantastic and both rifles seem to love it the most. It just doesn't have the best ballistic coefficient and as such, we are hitting a transonic limit at about 800-850 yards. While in the trans window, it is the most unstable, making it difficult to have DOPE out to 1000 yards. This also means less accurate and less consistent.

Scroll back up to see more details of the discussion about also testing Hornady, Norma, etc.

The ballistics are notably different in the Bartlein 5R 1:10 twist barrels, and superior to boot. Unfortunately, they are out of stock and are slowly being caught up. I spoke to Bartlein personally inquiring, but it'll be a while. Next year sometime, is what I heard. Further, they're in the $900-1000 range in price, $791 with my military discount. And as long as I'm spending money changing things, I could just switch to a better caliber, or change to a different rifle altogether. But that isn't the point, so I digress...

The Lothar-Walther barrel is extremely capable. What's baffled me is how few on SH and elsewhere have documented ballistics with it, even reviewing this thread and others from many years past. That said, the standard was 168gr FGMM for a long time, along with Black Hills 168gr. And, many at that time saw 800-900 yards as the limit regardless. Even just 10 to 20 years ago, ballistic expectations were different. Recall that the Accuracy International PM was designed to shoot (UPDATED): 7.62×51mm L2A2 144gr Ball Ammunition which absolutely does not have the ballistic capabilities of today's ammunition i.e. SMK.

So, I'm left wondering how today -- with modern ballistics and modern rounds -- are AW and AT owners maximizing the original Arctic Warfare profile 4R 1:12 twist Walther barrel and pushing it to 1000 yards. And if they are, then how, and with what round?

Q.E.D... if you are taking my response personally -- while laughing at my previous posts and disingenuously responding -- then those emotions are yours to own, and not my responsibility. We're all adults here.
If you’re looking for empirical data, why not contact Jacob Bynum? He’s put hundreds of thousands of rounds out of the barrels you have questions about. A five minute conversation with him and you’ll find out everything you want to know…

If you’re looking for empirical data, why not contact Jacob Bynum? He’s put hundreds of thousands of rounds out of the barrels you have questions about. A five minute conversation with him and you’ll find out everything you want to know…
I don't know the man. I'm going to do some homework on him now. Thank you for the suggestion. If he is on here, and I can send the man a PM, even better.

EDIT: founder of "Rifles Only" - going to contact them now and ask.

Your limits are less about bullets and more about wanting to do it with factory ammo. They just aren't loaded hot enough. My 175 sierras are super out to 1k and it's not even near its max load.

A great bullet for you would be a 169gr sierra match king to play nice with your 1/12 twist and get you a smidge more velocity. But you'll have to hand load it.

Also test the 185gr berger loads. Every barrel is different and barrel length matters as well as twist. For example a 14.5" 1/7 twist barrel stabilizes a 55gr head while my 30" with the same twist literally explodes the bullet. You might be fine with the 185. Calculators are best estimates not hard fast rules when it comes to some of this stuff.

I have said that I have that EXACT LW 1:12 barrel and my FGMM 175 factory ammo is shooting at 2720 which is more than enough for 1K.

What is your velocity you are getting with factory 175 FGMM out of your LW, by the way?

I have said that I have that EXACT LW 1:12 barrel and my FGMM 175 factory ammo is shooting at 2720 which is more than enough for 1K.

What is your velocity you are getting with factory 175 FGMM out of your LW, by the way?
AT308 with 20" Lothar-Walther 1:12 Twist Barrel
1000011461.jpg

Transonic window begins around 1350-1320fps. Subsonic is marked in red.

Um, I think we may have found the problem. I have not noticed any transsonic effects at the velocities you list as transsonic.

Transsonic by definition means crossing the sound barrier. You are nowhere near that until right at 1000. Go out and shoot your gun on a calm day at 1000 and get back to us on how repeatable your hits were. I am pretty sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

BTW, those ballistics you gave are practically identical to the FN MK20 and we took those out to 1K at sea level no problem.

@Huskydriver

To a atx? I’ve seen his ax I also had a cut down handguard for mine

I'll Caitlyn Jenner my AT-XC once it gets here. It's a little tricky with the Bridge & Upper as two pieces. I don't want to leave more than 2" of rail unsupported, and I haven't measured what length that leaves me with.

Best guess is 12" of barrel without sticking out too far beyond the chassis.

Reactions: M8541Reaper