• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Considering a move to the SW

thelaststraw

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2020
SW Louisiana
Apparently my wife has had her fill of the Gulf Coast. She pitched the idea to me of moving to New Mexico out of nowhere. Between the heat, hurricanes, a huge influx of development and other BS....she's had her fill of Louisiana.

Basically we both agree on somewhere in the high desert/plains. Utah, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico area. I'm familiar somewhat but have never spent more than a few months in any of those areas so not sure of any unique considerations I'm not aware of. Any input is welcome and appreciated.

We are in an advance planning stage and still trying to narrow our focus. I hope this is the right sub for such a random, oddball question (and that it's even a viable topic).

Well....If you Google how much Utah has gone up in basically everything I would avoid it hardcore. Norther new Mexico southern Colorado is nice

That was what I felt best about. Decent employment opportunities for me in Arizona and new Mexico I know(crane operator). Arizona and Utah were definitely more expensive from what I remember but it's been a while. Thank you sir.

Apparently my wife has had her fill of the Gulf Coast. She pitched the idea to me of moving to New Mexico out of nowhere. Between the heat, hurricanes, a huge influx of development and other BS....she's had her fill of Louisiana.

Basically we both agree on somewhere in the high desert/plains. Utah, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico area. I'm familiar somewhat but have never spent more than a few months in any of those areas so not sure of any unique considerations I'm not aware of. Any input is welcome and appreciated.

We are in an advance planning stage and still trying to narrow our focus. I hope this is the right sub for such a random, oddball question (and that it's even a viable topic).
I'm over here in Lafayette, the wife and I just went visit Show Low AZ about two weeks ago. Take a look there I know quite a few folks moving there from the LA area. It has a Lowe's, Home Depot, and a new hospital. We flew into Phoenix, and drove about 3.5 hrs to get there. Beautiful drive!
Good luck!

Reactions: thelaststraw
If Colorado hadn’t been taken over by team blue I’d still want to live here. I live in the Denver ‘burbs and work in the city and I’m fucking sick of it. Downtown is gross, homeless people and trash everywhere. The mountains are always full(unless you have time to go as remote as fucking possible) and the “cozy mountain towns” are just smaller versions of Boulder, which is a smaller version of CA

Edit: But don’t let me dissuade you entirely. Let me talk to my wife and I’m sure I can convince her to move. I’m sure we can work out a deal on our house

Last edited:
We definitely don't want city, I lived in upstate NY and it blew up too fast for its own good. That's exactly what is happening in SW Louisiana right now. 30+ acres in the middle of nowhere is what we want. I'll drive an hour or two to work if necessary, but our home needs to be a place of relaxation and solitude. Hell, I'll do a camper during the work week if necessary.

Reactions: camocorvette
New Mexico native, but currently living in Arizona.

New Mexico, particularly from the middle of the state, all the way north to the CO border is beautiful. Love the mountains, 4 seasons, ect. Great hunting, fishing, camping, shooting (JP's Blue Steel Ranch is in Logan, NM). Skiing/Snowboarding is great, as is the mountain biking, dirt bike riding, ect. You can pretty much do whatever you want on BLM land. Relatively low cost of living. Food and beer there is amazing. The downside is its a blue state. The leftists in Santa Fe and Albuquerque make the decisions for the state, despite the fact that there are actually a lot of blue collar people in the state. So with that comes:

- Lack of job opportunities, quite a bit of poverty and folks on welfare
- Horrendous K-12 schools (some of the worst in the country)
- Very high rates of violent crime, homelessness, and drug addiction, especially in Albuquerque
- Lack of law enforcement (not nearly enough police in the city), and VERY lenient courts WRT prosecuting people for criminal actions

I love New Mexico. There's a reason they call it the Land of Enchantment. But the state has some very serious problems, and there's no sign of it changing any time soon.

Arizona is a pretty good state in terms of personal freedoms, ect. You get more like two seasons here (hotter than hell, and comfortable). Plenty to do here as well, although arguably not as much as NM, in my opinion. Cost of living has gone up quite a bit here (rent has over doubled in the past year and a half), homes have gone from very affordable to very expensive. Lots of people fleeing California and bringing their dipshit voting habits with them. I can see AZ becoming CA-East within the next 5-10 years.

Dont do Colorad, getting worse everyday from the fucktards from CA. Property is high as fuck and taxes suck ass.

I'm looking at western FLor NE TX here in a bit.

Doc

Reactions: nikonNUT and Thorny
You have not stated your age or you and your wife's vocation............ I am a native of Louisiana. The recessions forced me to travel for work in 1986. I lived in a 40' fifthwheel... from coast to coast. Health forced me to retire after 20+ years.

Buy a 4 seasons RV... Work and live in as many places as possible before you buy land or property.

You never really know about the climate or culture of an area until you live and work there.

I don't what the politics are like in LA, but it would it be the number 1 consideration for a move if I were in your shoes.

I lived in Northern IL for 25 years and Cook Country (Chicago) drove the politics for the state. It kept Dems in power for all of the state government.
Like mentioned above, 1 blue hive can run and ruin an entire state. Choose wisely.

Good luck with your search.

I like the culture here in AZ.
I dislike working outside in the summer in Phoenix.
There are lots of great places to live in AZ, but so far I haven't been able to align a great place to live with a great place to work. In another 5 years it won't matter.

New Mexico native, but currently living in Arizona.

New Mexico, particularly from the middle of the state, all the way north to the CO border is beautiful. Love the mountains, 4 seasons, ect. Great hunting, fishing, camping, shooting (JP's Blue Steel Ranch is in Logan, NM). Skiing/Snowboarding is great, as is the mountain biking, dirt bike riding, ect. You can pretty much do whatever you want on BLM land. Relatively low cost of living. Food and beer there is amazing. The downside is its a blue state. The leftists in Santa Fe and Albuquerque make the decisions for the state, despite the fact that there are actually a lot of blue collar people in the state. So with that comes:

- Lack of job opportunities, quite a bit of poverty and folks on welfare
- Horrendous K-12 schools (some of the worst in the country)
- Very high rates of violent crime, homelessness, and drug addiction, especially in Albuquerque
- Lack of law enforcement (not nearly enough police in the city), and VERY lenient courts WRT prosecuting people for criminal actions

I love New Mexico. There's a reason they call it the Land of Enchantment. But the state has some very serious problems, and there's no sign of it changing any time soon.

Arizona is a pretty good state in terms of personal freedoms, ect. You get more like two seasons here (hotter than hell, and comfortable). Plenty to do here as well, although arguably not as much as NM, in my opinion. Cost of living has gone up quite a bit here (rent has over doubled in the past year and a half), homes have gone from very affordable to very expensive. Lots of people fleeing California and bringing their dipshit voting habits with them. I can see AZ becoming CA-East within the next 5-10 years.
This^^^

I have lived in NM since 1975 with my wife being a fourth generation New Mexican. Absolutely love the beauty of the state but the politics and business environment in the state are abysmal. Since moving here I have watched the downward spiral of the state due progressive policies. We are a poor version of California. Progressive policy and environmental groups from outside New Mexico have an major influence on legislative priorities and NM has basically become a Petrie dish for their destructive policies. Thankfully I live in a conservative rural area while working out of state so not fully impacted by their idiocy. If it were not for the extractive industries and DOD facilities this state would still be in the 19th Century economically.

Reactions: SWgeezer and 6.5SH
How about Idaho. Almost the same weather (dry) most of the year, but for a few weeks of cold. Boise for jobs, Twin Falls area is good too, or even Idaho Falls if you can handle the cold.

Spectacular outdoor recreation. Close to the other Mountain states. Great state government and people.

I just has a friend that moved his family from Albuquerque to Arkansas. New Mexico has turned into crime ridden liberal shit hole that is quickly heading down a very bad path. A beautiful state that has been ruined by California and illegals.

You have not stated your age or you and your wife's vocation............ I am a native of Louisiana. The recessions forced me to travel for work in 1986. I lived in a 40' fifthwheel... from coast to coast. Health forced me to retire after 20+ years.

Buy a 4 seasons RV... Work and live in as many places as possible before you buy land or property.

You never really know about the climate or culture of an area until you live and work there.
My wife doesn't work. I'm a crane operator. Both 40s. And I traveled for years when I was touring doing concert work.

Most importantly, no kids. Can't have em

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I just has a friend that moved his family from Albuquerque to Arkansas. New Mexico has turned into crime ridden liberal shit hole that is quickly heading down a very bad path. A beautiful state that has been ruined by California and illegals.
I like Arkansas but since she brought up the southwest, that was where I initially started looking. I was unaware how shook up things are getting in New Mexico, all of your input has been very helpful. Maybe she would consider Arkansas or even Idaho.

Hard to tell exactly where things are going by what is being served up in the news or by Google. Get much more accurate info direct from the source. Thank you for the suggestions, it's appreciated.

How about Idaho. Almost the same weather (dry) most of the year, but for a few weeks of cold. Boise for jobs, Twin Falls area is good too, or even Idaho Falls if you can handle the cold.

Spectacular outdoor recreation. Close to the other Mountain states. Great state government and people.
It’s full…

I like Arkansas but since she brought up the southwest, that was where I initially started looking. I was unaware how shook up things are getting in New Mexico, all of your input has been very helpful. Maybe she would consider Arkansas or even Idaho.

Hard to tell exactly where things are going by what is being served up in the news or by Google. Get much more accurate info direct from the source. Thank you for the suggestions, it's appreciated.
Please do not make a decision on my input. One big thing about NM is that is Communist controlled through most of the state. One of the states largest revenue generators is taxation on fracking and the Democrats want to halt fracking, so where is that new revenue going to come from? Tax increases. Please look for yourself though.

Reactions: SWgeezer
If Colorado hadn’t been taken over by team blue I’d still want to live here. I live in the Denver ‘burbs and work in the city and I’m fucking sick of it. Downtown is gross, homeless people and trash everywhere. The mountains are always full(unless you have time to go as remote as fucking possible) and the “cozy mountain towns” are just smaller versions of Boulder, which is a smaller version of CA

Edit: But don’t let me dissuade you entirely. Let me talk to my wife and I’m sure I can convince her to move. I’m sure we can work out a deal on our house
Ding ding ding.

Utah taxes you on your taxes, so fuck that imo. Nevada has just recently been raped over to the Blue monster, but only in Vegas and Reno. Lots of public land here in NV, most mines are pretty hard up for anyone with a heartbeat and can show up, and they pay well. The RV thing would be your best bet to see some variation.

Reactions: BCP

Well if you want to move to Prescott, AZ I know someone who has a 2acre lot for sale. Come out here and build a house. Boomers love this place.

Personally I can't wait to get out of here.

I just has a friend that moved his family from Albuquerque to Arkansas.

One of my neighbors is going AZ->AR.

2 acres is not anywhere near enough space for us.i appreciate the offer regardless. If we were to uproot we would prefer 20+ acres. Now I'm not sure of anywhere that is safe of the problems in our country, nevermind the climate that we dislike in Louisiana. We met down here and I moved here to her home, I never intended to live here.

I spent years traveling here and overseas. I'll fit in most anywhere. The politics and taxes can definetly ruin an otherwise nice place to live.

Colorado is turning into California 2.0

I'd look into Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho, non liberal parts of Montana, maybe Utah if you can stand the heat or afford the mountainous real estate

2 acres is not anywhere near enough space for us.i appreciate the offer regardless. If we were to uproot we would prefer 20+ acres. Now I'm not sure of anywhere that is safe of the problems in our country, nevermind the climate that we dislike in Louisiana. We met down here and I moved here to her home, I never intended to live here.

I spent years traveling here and overseas. I'll fit in most anywhere. The politics and taxes can definetly ruin an otherwise nice place to live.

What is your budget?

Bender has 10 acres for sale in Wyoming at a steal!

Reactions: BCP
Budget depends on if it's developed or undeveloped land. If/when we do leave we will have a solid $100k to throw down and about $150k additional before needing financing of any sort. Those numbers are fluid since real estate has been steady climbing in our area but all can change in an instant.

I'll pitch the northern states to her as possibilities. I'm not against it but she has a major phobia of snow...lol

would love to spend less but I'm a cheapskate

I've built the house we are in almost entirely myself. I'd be building our house, although we wont be going over 2,000sf for our next home. It's not too much cheaper doing things myself I bet. I never really checked but I know for sure that the craftsmanship is where I expect.

I'm more conflicted now than when I first started looking at different areas. I don't mind tradeoffs but I would hate to take a step back. The little things you don't know about a place till you live there are the things that really matter sometimes. The RV thing may be best/safest....I don't mind but not 100% sure the Mrs. can hack it. hahahaha

Absolutely forget about Idaho. Way to liberal, brutal cold, no public land, full of white supremacist compounds, cold, shitty hunting, shitty fishing, shitty jobs, to many meth labs per capita, outrageous real estate prices and it's fucking cold.

I've built the house we are in almost entirely myself. I'd be building our house, although we wont be going over 2,000sf for our next home. It's not too much cheaper doing things myself I bet. I never really checked but I know for sure that the craftsmanship is where I expect.

I'm more conflicted now than when I first started looking at different areas. I don't mind tradeoffs but I would hate to take a step back. The little things you don't know about a place till you live there are the things that really matter sometimes. The RV thing may be best/safest....I don't mind but not 100% sure the Mrs. can hack it. hahahaha

Better off RV or renting here for a few months to a year to see what its like. Find a local company go work for em, figure out where all the stores are that sort of thing. I'll tell you that after renting for several months here in Prescott and dealing with the building dept once this house is done I am gone like the fucking wind.

Better off RV or renting here for a few months to a year to see what its like. Find a local company go work for em, figure out where all the stores are that sort of thing. I'll tell you that after renting for several months here in Prescott and dealing with the building dept once this house is done I am gone like the fucking wind.

Since its Prescott, then RV at Gunsite for a month or two. Very reasonable rates. Full showers and and laundry comes with. They may still be looking for armorer.

Absolutely forget about Idaho. Way to liberal, brutal cold, no public land, full of white supremacist compounds, cold, shitty hunting, shitty fishing, shitty jobs, to many meth labs per capita, outrageous real estate prices and it's fucking cold.

Can someone hold my beer?

I grew up in Idaho and Oregon. If you don’t mind doing some land nav and packing in, hunting is fabulous. Much better than the states to the South.

The Snake River plain is pretty mild. Twin Falls averages 21 degrees for its low in the winter months. Boise averages 24 degrees for its low in then as well. The sun is almost always shining. And its cooler in the summer than NM or AZ.

Your comment about no public land in Idaho is a pretty wild claim. 61% of the land in Idaho is Federal land with nearly half being BLM land. Here is a map for those interested.

Idaho only went 30% for Biden in the last election. Pretty liberal place, indeed.

The OP should visit the states in the Intermountain West.

If I was to move, I’d find land abutting BLM or Forest service with a hill behind me so I could have my own range.

New Mexico is a Democrat run state, move to AZ because we need more red votes to counteract the California and East coast assholes that are trying to turn AZ into what they just left. @Greg Langelius * lives north of Tucson and can weigh in on the more moderate climate up there within a reasonable commuting distance of Tucson. Plenty of jobs for professional hookers in the PHX area but the summers are a touch warm.

Reactions: thelaststraw

I grew up in Idaho and Oregon. If you don’t mind doing some land nav and packing in, hunting is fabulous. Much better than the states to the South.

The Snake River plain is pretty mild. Twin Falls averages 21 degrees for its low in the winter months. Boise averages 24 degrees for its low in then as well. The sun is almost always shining. And its cooler in the summer than NM or AZ.

Your comment about no public land in Idaho is a pretty wild claim. 61% of the land in Idaho is Federal land with nearly half being BLM land. Here is a map for those interested.

Idaho only went 30% for Biden in the last election. Pretty liberal place, indeed.

If I was to move, I’d find land abutting BLM or Forest service with a hill behind me so I could have my own range.
You missed my point by a mile+.

Pssst, he’s playing reverse psychology and trying to keep people out of the state…

Exactly what I'm looking for. The cooler weather is a mutual thing with my wife. We don't mind the heat, but the temp/humidity/dew point in SW Louisiana is oppressive for 8 months. And hurricanes and flooding and overcrowding and....I'll see if she would compromise. I'll need to do some looking at job opportunities in those areas though. Plenty of crane work throughout the south but I'm not sure in those states. Never spent much time there.
I appreciate the input and opinions. Google and the news serve up whatever is on their menu/agenda at the time.

Last edited:
New Mexico is a Democrat run state, move to AZ because we need more red votes to counteract the California and East coast assholes that are trying to turn AZ into what they just left. @Greg Langelius * lives north of Tucson and can weigh in on the more moderate climate up there within a reasonable commuting distance of Tucson. Plenty of jobs for professional hookers in the PHX area but the summers are a touch warm.
It's been 25 years plus but the mt lemon area was awesome when I was there last for a competition (rock climbing). I would love to stay in my current trade and there is a fair amount of crane work there. Thank you.

Gonna be hard pressed to find the acreage you want in AZ within your budget that isn't in the middle of absolutely nowhere. Maybe 25 years ago but now it's outrageous here.