• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Considering a move to the SW

It's been 25 years plus but the mt lemon area was awesome when I was there last for a competition (rock climbing). I would love to stay in my current trade and there is a fair amount of crane work there. Thank you.
PHX is a bit warmer than what you are looking for but there are 11 crawler cranes on the semi conductor plant they are building in north Phoenix, one of the crawlers is big enough to pick up any of the other 10. Silly hookers

Reactions: 1911hombre
Even happening in the Southwest part of Co.
We want to change it, to be like where we came from. Then why in the Hell did you move here ?

I think this map has something to do with it. Echoes the OP's thoughts...

Screenshot 2021-10-06 095542.png

I thought Montana was safe from the infestation of liberals. I had that place on my list of I'm old, leave me the fuck alone places to run out the clock.

That's the problem here in SW Louisiana that is double sided. Plenty of high paying work in industry crane wise. However, from Houston to lake Charles is growing and developing at an insane rate....and the pay scale is unchanged while traffic and cost of living is rising with the growth.

I can (willingly and joyfully) lower my standards of convenience, like gas station right down the road and grocery stores withing 5 minutes of home. Peace, quite and space are primary (a means of income for a few more years of course). Politics and crime can ruin an otherwise picture perfect area unfortunately.

There is quite a bit of cheap land in eastern AZ South of I-40 which is the dark blue area on that map. Accessing water may or may not be a problem. You'd want to do some research on that before buying.

Apparently my wife has had her fill of the Gulf Coast. She pitched the idea to me of moving to New Mexico out of nowhere. Between the heat, hurricanes, a huge influx of development and other BS....she's had her fill of Louisiana.

Basically we both agree on somewhere in the high desert/plains. Utah, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico area. I'm familiar somewhat but have never spent more than a few months in any of those areas so not sure of any unique considerations I'm not aware of. Any input is welcome and appreciated.

We are in an advance planning stage and still trying to narrow our focus. I hope this is the right sub for such a random, oddball question (and that it's even a viable topic).
Come be my next door neighbor in Lake Havasu....

images (31).jpeg

Exactly what I'm looking for.

Yeah me too, it doesn't exist anywhere near a reasonably sized town though.

Is Southern Hospitality a thing where you live? I loved how friendly most people were down there. AZ doesn't have that.
AZ is not what Californians expect it to be. They leave for Phoenix. They deserve Phoenix.

Phoenix is just more Los Angeles. Prescott is becoming more Phoenix. I like Showlow, Pinetop, Payson etc. Really pretty and not crowded (yet).

That's the problem here in SW Louisiana that is double sided. Plenty of high paying work in industry crane wise. However, from Houston to lake Charles is growing and developing at an insane rate....and the pay scale is unchanged while traffic and cost of living is rising with the growth.

I can (willingly and joyfully) lower my standards of convenience, like gas station right down the road and grocery stores withing 5 minutes of home. Peace, quite and space are primary (a means of income for a few more years of course). Politics and crime can ruin an otherwise picture perfect area unfortunately.
Your in Lake Charles? I'm up in Leesville/Slagle area.

I would look at Northern Arkansas, Southern Missouri, Kentucky. Land is pretty good in those areas.

Your in Lake Charles? I'm up in Leesville/Slagle area.

I would look at Northern Arkansas, Southern Missouri, Kentucky. Land is pretty good in those areas.
Yes sir, lake Charles. I love northern arkansas, the wife asked specifically about the SW so that was the direction I went initially looking. Maybe I can convince her of some alternate options. I've travelled tons but her traveling was restricted to the army's tourist destinations....for whatever reason she wasn't impressed with Arkansas the one time we went there.

Reactions: stefan73
Yes sir, lake Charles. I love northern arkansas, the wife asked specifically about the SW so that was the direction I went initially looking. Maybe I can convince her of some alternate options. I've travelled tons but her traveling was restricted to the army's tourist destinations....for whatever reason she wasn't impressed with Arkansas the one time we went there.
Have you taken her to Hot Springs or the diamond crater? Fayetteville AR in the Ozarks and Branson MO areas are pretty nice. You get all the seasons and can stay in some pretty rural areas. Kentucky has some really nice areas also.

I liked MO for some of the tax reasons and they proposed to be a "gun sanctuary state". Plus they have some nice land for sale for some good prices. Sierra, Starline, Badger, GAP, Rivers Bend, Custom Gun Coatings, CZ USA are some of the greats in MO.

LC was wrecked hard by Laura and Delta, we got hit by both of those also (FT Polk tower apparently reported peak wind gust for Laura up here at 135mph). Still lots of blue tarps.

If I could afford it I would be looking at in order, Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, Idaho (I'm slightly juvenile so I giggle a little every time I say it), Missouri, Kentucky, Arkansas. I would have to be near mountains/hills and any of those areas. I don't enjoy/like flatlands.

Reactions: thelaststraw
Oh boy, was it a while back? I'm from NY originally but a lot of family from here. Back in the 80s and 90s that was a regular thing.
HAHAHA I know where that is! I got called a Nigger Lover at the Ryan's cafe buffet place by a crazy old man!
There used to be a lot of Klan activity in this area and some of that bigotry and prejudice won't die in the good ol boys.

LC was wrecked hard by Laura and Delta, we got hit by both of those also (FT Polk tower apparently reported peak wind gust for Laura up here at 135mph). Still lots of blue tarps.

If I could afford it I would be looking at in order, Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, Idaho (I'm slightly juvenile so I giggle a little every time I say it), Missouri, Kentucky, Arkansas. I would have to be near mountains/hills and any of those areas. I don't enjoy/like flatlands.
I tried the Alaska thing, but not sure she could hack it. That and not sure about the job situation up there for crane work.

Reactions: stefan73
Oh boy, was it a while back? I'm from NY originally but a lot of family from here. Back in the 80s and 90s that was a regular thing.

There used to be a lot of Klan activity in this area and some of that bigotry and prejudice won't die in the good ol boys.

Yeah long ways back in college me and some friends did a hippie road trip to TN for a music festival. That guy was the only asshole we met, everybody else was great. I love the south.

Reactions: Guns&WhiteWater
;)Well he'd better be furiously PM'ing the dude behind the scenes. Who would not want a fellow hider to move to their state?
Just adding one more body to the state? Lots of people don’t want that

Now, if we can work something out that a bunch of ‘hide members get first dibs on a quadrant of any particular state and 5 douchebags get catapulted out for every ‘hide member that moves in then we can talk

Colorado and New Mexico are blue team strong holds. If you have kids and care about their education, stay away from NM. Epidemiologists call NM “the land of the flea, and the home of the plague…”

Reactions: SWgeezer
Colorado and New Mexico are blue team strong holds. If you have kids and care about their education, stay away from NM. Epidemiologists call NM “the land of the flea, and the home of the plague…”

And the damn scorpions. That Bark Scorpion is a real bastard.

PHX is a bit warmer than what you are looking for but there are 11 crawler cranes on the semi conductor plant they are building in north Phoenix, one of the crawlers is big enough to pick up any of the other 10. Silly hookers

i saw that the other day. Crazy!!

Your going to miss the food and people in Louisiana.

Move to Northern Louisiana.

I live in Texas. Been to all those places before the California exodus and have lost a lot of thier charm, parts of Texas as well.

Your going to miss the food and people in Louisiana.

Move to Northern Louisiana.

I live in Texas. Been to all those places before the California exodus and have lost a lot of thier charm, parts of Texas as well.
I've been looking at that option a little harder actually. Much simpler transition work wise and move wise. It's just my wife and I, never will be children. I would prefer a drier climate at some altitude, but that's the outdoorsman in me. I was big in rock/ice climbing, paddling, snowboarding when I lived up north....down here all I have is shooting. (Didn't have that in NY)

I appreciate all the input from everyone, both positive and negative. It's hard to gauge the state of places during the scope of my previous travels and especially by the news or Google searches. Thank you.

You can vacation in the spots up north. You can paddle from one end of Louisiana to the other as long as your comfortable with gators and sharks.

Both of which are a two way range situation as to who eats supper.

There is a nice range up north at Bodcau Bayou and long range alley.

You have more fishing and hunting public access in Louisiana than most places.

Cocodri is my favorite fishing ramp.

You can vacation in the spots up north. You can paddle from one end of Louisiana to the other as long as your comfortable with gators and sharks.

I should have been more specific about the paddling, that's white water kayaking (I guess paddling is NE slang)

As far as a move, my takeaway from everyone's input is that this is a bad time for a cross country move. I appreciate everyone's opinions both positive and negative. I can understand where people are coming from where their beloved homes are ruined by government and outsiders/overpopulation.

Probably gonna pick up some land up north in Louisiana for a vacation getaway or future home. I'll bring the Mrs out west at some point to see if that's what she really wants, not thinks she wants. Nothing is final yet but I want to thank everyone again.

What I liked about "The South" was the culture. People seem to be friendlier and more laid back, everywhere I went there were good little delis and BBQ places. Personally Louisiana wouldn't be my pick, it would be TN, but a lot of those areas have an overlap. Yes they have cities with crime, yes there are rednecky places that aren't too safe but when you live there you feel that culture.

Arizona is the opposite. All I'm going to say is that AZ is the only state where I actually feel the need to carry a pistol all the time. Most other states it's because I am in a shitty neighborhood (or Albuquerque lol) but here in AZ I am armed 24/7.

Reactions: MadDuner
Damn....I had no idea AZ was that bad. I always carry but have never really felt that it was 'necessary'.
Depends on where you are, but phoenix is a melting pot, of assholes. Its turning quickly into a liberal shithole inhabited by shithead people from other states. Homeless population has exploded.

a friend was chased to his car by 5 black males wielding machetes and one with a pistol. Ripped the door handle off his car trying to get to him. He was looking for his drug addict daughter and they just came after him unprovoked (according to him). Downtown phx is bad.

• Wow
Reactions: SWgeezer and BCP
Depends on where you are, but phoenix is a melting pot, of assholes. Its turning quickly into a liberal shithole inhabited by shithead people from other states. Homeless population has exploded.

a friend was chased to his car by 5 black males wielding machetes and one with a pistol. Ripped the door handle off his car trying to get to him. He was looking for his drug addict daughter and they just came after him unprovoked (according to him). Downtown phx is bad.

Doesn't surprise me.

Prescott for me. Seems like more traffic and a lot more antisocial retards than 10 years ago.

P

Prescott is like California lite. Just drove through it the other day, it sure looks nice though.

I spent three weeks there in March. Shooting ranges were full. And there are more gun shops than McDonalds. Lots of OC.

The Yavapi County Sheriff's department took care of business one of those weeks. There were no bleeding hearts.

I spent three weeks there in March. Shooting ranges were full. And there are more gun shops than McDonalds. Lots of OC.

The Yavapi County Sheriff's department took care of business one of those weeks. There were no bleeding hearts.

Pretty much, except it's RANGE (there's only Chino Valley).

Speaking of OC I've a neighbor who used to march around with a tactical vest, an ICE hat and a nickel 45. Fucker tried to shoot my dog in my own yard then called 911 on me when I cussed him out. Seems like a lot of retards have moved in compared to when I used to live here back in 2007-2008.

The idea of Arizona come to mind with it's job opportunities vs new Mexico (cranes). But really when it comes down to it I'd much rather be at elevation if I was to uproot from Louisiana. It's been a long time since I've been to Arizona and it's clearly changed a lot since the mid 90s.

And traffic out the ass.....

It wouldn't be so bad if they knew how to drive.

Try Sedona. California on steroids.

They have a vortex, by God.

And Red effen Rocks.

Talking to an old timer Sedona used to be a family camping fishing etc area until the 50s when the rich weirdos discovered it.

Reactions: Jgunner
If I remember right Sedona had a gas station, post office and general store under one roof.

That was in 1978 - 1979 and was a scenic drive. Used to fish and camp near there.

If I remember right Sedona had a gas station, post office and general store under one roof.

That was in 1978 - 1979 and was a scenic drive. Used to fish and camp near there.
I used to visit Oak Creek Canyon and swim in the early 70's. Cant get tot the water for the houses, today.

One of the most scenic drives you can make is to start in Flagstaff, go south thru the canyon to Sedona, then thru Cottonwood and Prescott to Quartzite, south to Yuma and west to San Diego.

Reactions: Snuby642
I used to visit Oak Creek Canyon and swim in the early 70's. Cant get tot the water for the houses, today.

One of the most scenic drives you can make is to start in Flagstaff, go south thru the canyon to Sedona, then thru Cottonwood and Prescott to Quartzite, south to Yuma and west to San Diego.

Me too, I live in Flagstaff so when I was a teen I went to Oak Creek every weekend I could in the summer. Now it sucks from over crowding, lack of parking, having to pay to get in, and finally every low life from the big city hangs out there, well except for rude and smelly tourists. I seriously haven't gone to Slide Rock in 30 years because of the aforementioned.

Flagstaff is a commy faggot liberal city now because of NAU. I'll leave it at that.
It is a beautiful and temperate place to live though but kind of lacking in water as far as streams. Well we have shit creek which is the RiodeFlag, and lake Mary has ugly brown water.
The nicest thing I can say is we have few flying insects which I must say is the #2 thing I like about living here. If we get a nice monsoon season, like this year, it is just gorgeous and green "for AZ".

You couldn't pay me to live in Phoenix or Tucson!

Camp Verde isn't a bad place to live but the small town atmosphere is leaving because of - you guessed it, commy faggot liberals moving in.

Ashfork area still has reasonable land prices but it's juniper landscape and is a small town. Same with Seligman.

The White Mountains is a very pretty place and gets more moisture and has more lakes and streams. I wouldn't mind living there myself.

I have a thing for Idaho but when I retire it's going to be near high altitude for 3 seasons , then if I can work it out somewhere else for winter.

BTW Alpine WY, Star Valley, and the Ketchum Idaho areas are awesome places to vacation and camp.

The stench of liberals from commiefornia is messing up Texas as well.

I take every opportunity to make them hate every minute of being here.

You're welcome NOT.

Me too, I live in Flagstaff so when I was a teen I went to Oak Creek every weekend I could in the summer. Now it sucks from over crowding, lack of parking, having to pay to get in, and finally every low life from the big city hangs out there, well except for rude and smelly tourists. I seriously haven't gone to Slide Rock in 30 years because of the aforementioned.

Flagstaff is a commy faggot liberal city now because of NAU. I'll leave it at that.
It is a beautiful and temperate place to live though but kind of lacking in water as far as streams. Well we have shit creek which is the RiodeFlag, and lake Mary has ugly brown water.
The nicest thing I can say is we have few flying insects which I must say is the #2 thing I like about living here. If we get a nice monsoon season, like this year, it is just gorgeous and green "for AZ".

Camp Verde isn't a bad place to live but the small town atmosphere is leaving because of - you guessed it, commy faggot liberals moving in.

Ashfork area still has reasonable land prices but it's juniper landscape and is a small town. Same with Seligman.

The White Mountains is a very pretty place and gets more moisture and has more lakes and streams. I wouldn't mind living there myself.

I have a thing for Idaho but when I retire it's going to be near high altitude for 3 seasons , then if I can work it out somewhere else for winter.

BTW Alpine WY, Star Valley, and the Ketchum Idaho areas are awesome places to vacation and camp.
50 years back there was a nice place in Camp Verde called 'Verde Trade and Trust'.

Apache Junction would be OK since you can escape into the hills to go 4wheeling and shoot guns. Of course you still have those wonderful 118degrees and raining summers.

I grew up in CA nears the American River north fork and in 20 years it has gone from nobody there to hundreds of cars every weekend, crazy Mexicans and Russians fighting it out, 10$ to park on the side of the road etc. America is getting too big for itself and we are losing all of the beautiful wild places.

This is the exact spot where I used to go fishing and swimming, now if you go anytime other than 9-10am on a weekday it's full of rafters and valley doofuses:

Last edited: