Geissele MK IV Forend

MSTN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
MIDDLE OF ARIZONA
mstn.biz
The selection of the forend is always a key feature for a shooter upgrading a current AR' or building a full house custom package. There's a selection today of "good-better-best" choices out there that would have been unbelievable only ten years ago.

Bill Geissele has been steadily working his way to top-shelf status in his every product endeavor. He can loosen his pack straps a bit in the forend department, because his new MK IV design leaves little room for improvement.

IMG_3255.JPG

IMG_3254.JPG

IMG_3253.JPG

IMG_3286.jpg

13.0 ounces. No, not the lightest - certainly nowhere near the heaviest. But, at that weight, consider the fact it comes equipped with a full length top rail, three short rails at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock, plus four QD sling mounting points. Add those rails to some of the other new, lightweight forends out there and see how your weight (and cost!) goes up.

There's more to like about this forend for the novice installer. The Geissele MK IV comes with beyond a doubt the BEST, most clearly written installation instructions ever sent out with a forend. The one special tool you need is included, too. On top of that, it's just plain easy to install and get a good result.

Cheapest? No. Worth the money? I'm voting with my wallet and adding one to the safe.

Thanks to Trident1982 . I saw his pictures sometime ago and i bought the rail and had some custom work done and i should be getting it sometime next week . Here is a picture of my Ar i still have to put the PWS muzzle brake on it and the Bravo company charging handle , Magpul Miad , Acog . I have them i am just waiting to payday to get it shipped back to me . I went with a graphite black and Tungsten gray Cerakote . I had a custom lower made yeah i am a huge Punisher Fan and love the Comic !!! . I got the lower and custom work / paint done at Black Dawn Armory out of Missouri.

Props again to Trident, that initial review of the SMR came out right when I was looking for a rail for my SPRish AR. I think if there is one thing to really emphasize about the rail is the precision of all the machining, not just the critical areas. Not only is the barrel nut to receiver one of the tightest you can find, but the nut to rail interface is as tight as you can get. So much so the anodizing was brazed when I test fitted the rail to the nut. This gives you a very tight, dependable lock-up that translates to rigidity of your forend as a whole, which is important when using a forward support, namely bipods. If the system doesn't lock up well you're probably not going to get the potential accuracy out of the rifle, as you're adding inconsistencies via bipod hop. I wouldn't hesitate using one for a precision build, unless someone more experienced than me can find fault with it.

I do like the rail due to the lack of rails and the barrel nut design. I would like to see a comparison between the Wilson TRIM, Noveske NSR, and this rail.

trident - that is one bad ass AR, sir. It's difficult these days to find an AR that stands apart from others. Yours does that rather easily.