• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

Problem with TCAS is it doesn’t shut up if your doing low level work, so most pilots end up ignoring it.
There are VFR flyways in and around the LA area, but in degrading weather TCAS will only help so much. At some point the pilot has to commit to IFR. VFR to IFR (IMC) kill many pilots. If you've never experienced it, you have no idea what an uncertain 60 seconds that can become. I've heard a report that the aircraft was descending at greater than 2000' per minute. Bottom line, the pilot lost his situational awareness and either pull so much power he drooped the rotor, or he reduce the power enough to enter an autorotational descent. Neither one of those implies good decision making. Bottom line, we'll probably find out he lost his situational awareness and became spatially disoriented. Quite possibly the most uncomfortable phenomenon you'll ever feel. Your body screams one thing, the instruments say the other. 99.99% of the time the instrument are right. If they are wrong, it's usually only one, and you have to fill in the gap with the information from the other. Now, the S-76 typically has some level of an autopilot. But if you put off your decision to land until you can't, then you try to commit to IFR and haven't trained the transition in a while, it can end badly.

In one of the most heavily radar covered airspaces in the US, it's an unfortunate and avoidable loss of life.

What kind of eagle is this? And how large would you estimate him to be?

IMG_0756.jpeg

He's on the top left pole.

IMG_0751.jpeg

There are VFR flyways in and around the LA area, but in degrading weather TCAS will only help so much. At some point the pilot has to commit to IFR. VFR to IFR (IMC) kill many pilots. If you've never experienced it, you have no idea what an uncertain 60 seconds that can become. I've heard a report that the aircraft was descending at greater than 2000' per minute. Bottom line, the pilot lost his situational awareness and either pull so much power he drooped the rotor, or he reduce the power enough to enter an autorotational descent. Neither one of those implies good decision making. Bottom line, we'll probably find out he lost his situational awareness and became spatially disoriented. Quite possibly the most uncomfortable phenomenon you'll ever feel. Your body screams one thing, the instruments say the other. 99.99% of the time the instrument are right. If they are wrong, it's usually only one, and you have to fill in the gap with the information from the other. Now, the S-76 typically has some level of an autopilot. But if you put off your decision to land until you can't, then you try to commit to IFR and haven't trained the transition in a while, it can end badly.

In one of the most heavily radar covered airspaces in the US, it's an unfortunate and avoidable loss of life.

im a fixed wing guy so bear with me, is 2000fpm a normal autorotation rate, it seems a little fast to me......

im a fixed wing guy so bear with me, is 2000fpm a normal autorotation rate, it seems a little fast to me......
It depends on GWT and rotor design, but no. I would consider 2000 fpm slow. The UH-60 auto-rotational chart gives about 2000 fpm at the optimal (90 Kts ish) airspeed. Above or below that airspeed, rate of descent only goes up. In training I’ve done in excess of 3000-3500 fpm on initial entry.

Reactions: TACC and Downtown
It depends on GWT and rotor design, but no. I would consider 2000 fpm slow. The UH-60 auto-rotational chart gives about 2000 fpm at the optimal (90 Kts ish) airspeed. Above or below that airspeed, rate of descent only goes up. In training I’ve done in excess of 3000-3500 fpm on initial entry.

when you yank the collective and touchdown what’s your ROD?

Adult bald eagle.

Agreed. Looks to be 3 years plus. The young ones have mottled coloring and don't get white heads/crowns until 2.5 or 3 years. 6 foot or so wingspans are pretty common. We have a shit ton of them around here where I live. In the spring, the all come down from the Skagit and chase Blackmouth and Dolly Varden. When the runs start moving upstream, they follow. April, May and early June are a lot of fun to watch them. I have a picture of (IIRC) 22 of them all lined up at waters edge, checking out the fishin'. I'll post it up if I can find it. Oh, and small dogs shouldn't be left unattended in the yard..........

Oh, and small dogs shouldn't be left unattended in the yard..........

A family friend has a story from the early 80s about an eagle trying to pick up their dog, which turned out to be a little too heavy. The eagle was trying to get it off the ground and his daughter, maybe 8 at the time, started whacking the eagle with a broom lol. I guess the eagle's talons were stuck in the dog's ass so it took a bit of a beating before it was able to fly off. Dog had some puncture wounds but was otherwise ok.

Curious if he was off radar, how do they know what his decent rate was? Maybe when they last had him on it. Also if he was decending that fast maybe he was in autorotation because there was a mechanical problem although no mayday on the radio. I have not flown a helicopter in 30 plus years so just me thinking back. Boy, you really got to be aware of the terrain and what you are doing especially if you transitioning from VFR to IFR that close to the ground. Recipe for disaster.

when you yank the collective and touchdown what’s your ROD?
Well, when I flew Huey’s in flight school we did autorotations to the ground. So we touched down at rates of descent that were less than 500 FPM. In dual engine aircraft, specifically Apaches and Black Hawks, we train to terminate the maneuver to a hover. So we enter the auto, get into steady state conditions (2000 FPM ish), start a progressive decel descending below 200’ (the training manual says 125 but if you start a slow progressive decel going through 200 it’s a smooth termination) at 125 bleed off your forward airspeed and the trade off that airspeed for a reduced rate of descent... to less than 500 FPM.

Both the Apache and Black Hawk are designed to withstand high G load crashes. But I prefer not to test them.

Hey, is there a "helo crash discussion" thread? I just really don't want to scroll down expecting to see nice titties and instead see a sloppy pair of DirtyDanglers that make me throw up a little in my mouth.

It could be titled " Who gives a fuck about Kobe, but the crash is an interesting discussion." ?

I had heard the heli was bought used from State of IL..probably the stripped down low bid model without TCAS , ???
Yeah, I saw where the winning bid at auction was $500K.......... :eek:

It apparently had been used to ferry the guv and dignitaries around. Which leds me to my next Q; Why the "Experimental" classification if that's what it was being used for ? And, was it in "Experimental" category (and why) at the time of the crash ?

Are you a pilot?......
I’m guessing no......
Actually, a professional corporate pilot with an ATP, CFI/CFII/MEI and over 6k hours so.... you guessed wrong. And TCAS won’t do anything for a CFIT accident. Just an FYI.

TCAS is Traffic Collision Avoidance System.
EGPWS I believe is what y’all are thinking about Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System.

Last edited:
Agreed. Looks to be 3 years plus. The young ones have mottled coloring and don't get white heads/crowns until 2.5 or 3 years. 6 foot or so wingspans are pretty common. We have a shit ton of them around here where I live. In the spring, the all come down from the Skagit and chase Blackmouth and Dolly Varden. When the runs start moving upstream, they follow. April, May and early June are a lot of fun to watch them. I have a picture of (IIRC) 22 of them all lined up at waters edge, checking out the fishin'. I'll post it up if I can find it. Oh, and small dogs shouldn't be left unattended in the yard..........

+1, We have a nesting pair here in town (CO. Mountains.), the females are larger than the males too. Incredible birds to see. Even Owls will snag cats, and small dogs.

Actually, a professional corporate pilot with an ATP, CFI/CFII/MEI and over 6k hours so.... you guessed wrong. And TCAS won’t do anything for a CFIT accident. Just an FYI.

TCAS is Traffic Collision Avoidance System.
EGPWS I believe is what y’all are thinking about Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System.

Pfffffff….. 6k hours? I remember back in the war to end all wars, we were shown what an airplane was and by that afternoon, we were kiliing krauts. j/k

Hey, is there a "helo crash discussion" thread? I just really don't want to scroll down expecting to see nice titties and instead see a sloppy pair of DirtyDanglers that make me throw up a little in my mouth.

It reminds of the vaccinate or not vaccinate thread. Take that shit somewhere else. It doesn't belong in this thread.

I tried to start it up the page a little, but the DA’s just couldn’t let go. My thoughts about all that, “There are more Navy divers looking for pilots, than there are pilots looking for Navy divers.” And yes, I’m speaking from experience. BTDT. Now back to the lovely ladies.

Reactions: Dirty D