• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Newbie - Trick out my SKS or buy a starter rifle?

chris_chance

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I am a newbie that has always wanted to get a rifle with a scope so I can start shooting at distances. My father was a Chief Master at Arms in the Navy and I have grown up around firearms. I currently have a Ruger P89, XD9 Subcompact, Remington 870, and an SKS.

I have been looking at entry level rifle/scope combos and have done a decent amount of online reading. I would like to spend $300-400 for now (and work my way up eventually). I've read a lot of posts about staying away from the Remington 770 but I don't have enough of a budget to get a 700. It looks like a Marlin XL7 may be a good option or a Savage but then I came across an add for a Mosin Nagant M91/30 that was tricked out with tactical gear and it got me thinking about my SKS.

So my question is, for someone just getting into distance shooting, would I be better off buying some tactical gear for my SKS or getting an entry level rifle like the Marlin?

Re: Newbie - Trick out my SKS or buy a starter rifle?

Send a PM to marduk185 here on the hide.... he is the SKS guru on here and has one that he has shot to a mile before.

He will be able to answer any and all questions that you have about turning your sks into a true sniper rifle.

You could save up some more cash and buy a 700 sps. After you have shot it for a while and when funds allow, you can change out what you dont like about the standard rifle (stock, trigger etc). Be careful this can be a very addictive and expensive hobby.

Mac

Welcome to the Hide!!!

You will find a wealth of knowledge if you just look around and use the search tool. In my opinion I would say save 100 more dollars and get a remington 700 SPS varmit with a bull barrel in 308 winchester.

The reason I say that is I own one and I paid $560 for it at sportsmans. Straight out of the box I was able to get 1 1/2 inch groups at a hundred yards with just cheap wolf ammo and federal ammo.

I suggest never to use wolf in a bolt gun!!!!! ( i was a newbie and got 500 rounds for like 200 bucks)

But If you want to shoot at distances I would not suggest a SKS.

I havent seen the marlin, but i know savages are shooters from all the reviews i read on here. I know you want one NOW. Because thats how i was.. but save some more dough and get a nice entry level rifle that you can build up ( remington or savage )

But while you save your money look around in the bolt action rifle section and see what people are saying about their rifles. you may find something that you can afford and is a good shooter and it might not even be a rem or a savage.

Good luck to you and keep saving your cash

Sell the SKS and combine the cash with your other cash to buy a SPS tactical.
I have owned 2 and both were 1" and below guns with Black hills and federal ammo. Even better with reloads.

I am not big on selling guns that i own. I would rather keep what i have save some money and get what i want. The 700 LTR police tactical is a gun worth every penny. Question is how far do you want to shoot. If your talking out to 700m the 20" LTR is a great gun for that with the right ammo. Past 800m you need to look at a 300 win mag yes you can do it with the 7.62 but the 300 is more practical for shooting past 800m but you are looking at replaceing the barrel every 1500 to 2000 rounds. We shoot the MK 13 at our course and that's all we get out of the A191 190gr 1500 to 2000. The rifle does not gradualy go out you shoot a 1/2 moa group and two hours later its a 6" moa they just go like that. If you deside to sell the SKS PM me what you want to get out of it. Hope this helps

If you dont want to get into it for alot of money the SAVAGE 10FP is a good entry level gun till you decide if you want to spend more money. I would recomend the rem 700 LTR the stock is a beaded stock so you wont need to get a new stock.

IMO by the time you spend the $ and time on tricking out an sks, you'll probably find that you'll spend less or equal to a bolt gun that'll out perform the sks tricked out.

the savages, or the marlin XL7 would probably be the better answer all the way around for the budget mentioned.

Look at the Savage/Stevens line of rifles. They can be had for a few hundred bucks, and shoot great out of the box.
Below is a pic of my Stevens model 200. I have about $650 in it total (for now
grin.gif
).

In all seriousness, the SKS is not going to do what you want. The best option for accurate and inexpensive will be a heavy barrel Savage in 308. Look around for a used Super Sniper scope in 10x or 16x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris_chance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just getting into distance shooting, would I be better off buying some tactical gear for my SKS or getting an entry level rifle like the Marlin? </div></div>

the 7.62x39 goes subsonic around 550 yards, get a diffrent rifle in .308

Chris
Save your money. Like other suggested, you can even sell your SKS and augment your fund toward a Remy 700. The SPS is a decent series to start out. You be much happier that way. Remember, you can only trick out and pimp up so much on an SKS. At the end of the day, it's still an SKS. JMHO

i was all ready to razz you with my standard bs mantra about dolph lundgren and sks sniper rifles but i read your post and it sounds sincere so let me say...first, i love sks for what they are, a world war 2 era short range semi auto battle rifle thats simple and rugged. you do not however want to spend a penny trying to make it what it will never be(and this is the source of many of my jokes about them.) follow the other advices given above. get a bolt stick. i recommend stevens or savage and put as much scope on it as you can save pennys for. use the sks for a 100 yards and under timber deer rifle. its good for this. use the bot action for all longer shooting. stick around this site awhile youll learn alot.

some times if you go to a pawn shop in your area you can find a nice starter rifle with fair glass for say 350.00 400.00 brush up on checking out bores befor buying just a idea. Also a new gun is nice to have if unsure of a used buy

Keep your SKS - they are very good for what they are and 5 yrs from now you will not be happy about selling it.

Save your pennies, buy an R700 SPS and a Dillon 550.

Good luck

I defintely agree with the rest Remmys are the way to go. The ak/sks are best at mid and close quarter combat. Rem 700 SPS Varmint or LTR you cant go wrong for entry level scoped rifle. 600.00 for the rifle to get started. Add a good stock, clean up the action, have it bedded down the road and your groups will be inside a dime.

cjg, I feel for you wrt. selling rifles. But let's face it - SKS is SKS and it won't be even Mosin rifle. Tricking it out is like - pardon me - putting tits on a boar. If I had an SKS - I'd probably sell it to finance a better rifle.

I shouldn't criticize your taste - I own an SVD rifle clone. It isn't much to write home about - but at least it was <span style="text-decoration: underline">designed</span> to be a Designated Marksman Rifle (Soviet infantry sniper concept differs from US and UK). The only "tricking out" I've done was adding a better Russian POSP scope to replace the moldy original (for $180). The only other money I'm going to put into it is for ammo.

A good bolt-action stick (e.g. Remington 700) would serve you far better.

Holy crap, you are SOOOO lucky that these guys answered before some of the older members saw you post...

Seriously, you are on the wrong forum if you just want a scoped rifle. zzthe membership of this forum is primarily interested in PRECISION rifles. That means that we will al recommend against an SKS for this type of work.

Buy a nice Remington or Savage target rifle. Do a good search on first rifle here, you will find an enormous amount of information.

Thanks to everyone for your responses and for setting me straight about the limitations of the SKS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjg1972</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not big on selling guns that i own. </div></div>

I agree with not being big on selling guns and will most likely just save a little while longer so that I can get an entry level bolt action stick.

I will definitely stick around this site to see what else I can learn in my quest to someday become a precision shooter.

IMHO the SKS will cost too much to improve, and the improvements won't buy you what you're looking for.

The cartridge can be accurate, but AK/SKS platforms aren't going to be able to deliver that accuracy. 'No gunsmithing' scope mounts simply aren't stable enough for reliable accuracy, and once you start spending gunsmithing bucks to seriously address that issue you've reached the 'lipstick on the pig' stage.

Plus, the cartridge simply lack the energy to go the distance.

I like my SKS and it helped me by providing a platform with which to do my 'proof of rifle practice' for acquiring my absolutely gorgeous DCM Garand.

Keep it and use/upgrade it for what it is, a good plinker/zombie rifle.

I think that the best choice for the least bucks would be a Savage 12FV .223 for $676 list. Most retailers can beat this price by a considerable margin. Good barrel that will handle the longer/heavier bullets that excell at the longer distance (I still think 1Kyd is stretching it, but it <span style="font-style: italic">will</span> get out there), not the best stock, but good enough for starters. Good trigger. Economical caliber.

Greg

To expand on Greg's advice (which is exactly what I'd tell you) is to get a Savage 12 in 223.

It comes with a 1:9 tw barrel so you can shoot up to 75-77gr match bullets well.

The Savage rifles are exceptionally accurate out of the box. Look through the for sale sections here or on GunBroker and pick one of them up.

If you wanted to go the "ultra frugal" route, get a Stevens M200 in 223, get a Choate stock and some good mounts, rings, glass.

I have a Savage 12 that I own 3 different barrels for, it shoots tiny groups in each case and it's a completely stock setup except for the stock. This weekend I did load testing with handloads and 75gr Amax's. The groups were tight to start, and the accuracy node stacked them on top of each other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and has one that he has shot to a mile before. </div></div>

Now thay I'm done laughing(I started some time yesterday when I read this), go find a Remy 700 SPS 20". It can be found for under $750 out this way and probably other palces as well. Eat the raman. It's a super starter rifle and will be fine for hunting as well. You would be suprised how much you can buy once you aquire a taste for raman

ps Panty 6 has an old Chicom SKS she totally loves. This puppy is a 1955 model, milled parts and really nice for a factory issue gun. It shoots pigs just fine, but won't hit jack much past 300M

Hello and welcome to the Hide. There is some very good advice in the previous posts. The only thing I would add is that while you save your money read and shoot as much as you can. This site is a great resource and it's free! There is a lot of information to be taken in and considered. Good gear is important but so is knowledge and mindset. While you save your money take your sks to the range and think about each shot before and after you take it. Consider factors that effect accuracy like wind, your breathing, trigger pull, heart rate etc. etc.. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dump the SKS. You wont find much accuracy out of it and "tricking it out" is a waste of your time and money. </div></div>

This is the correct answer. With the outstanding deals one can find on a converted Saiga AK there's no excuse.

I agree with most of the others. You will never be satified with the long range performance of any SKS no matter how much money you spend on it. Keep it and use it for what it is. I also agree save your money and but one of the Remington 700 models as your starter rifle. I have seen the older PSS model sell for very resonable prices on several sites.

I love my SKS, its a Norinco, I put a peep sight on it and it has a good trigger for an SKS. In no way is it a long range rig, but it is fun. Mine shoots around 2 inches at 50 yards with wolf ammo, and Im happy with that. I have owned it since 1993, and have only cleaned it twice.

I would keep it, but save your money for a bolt gun if you want to shoot long range.

Thanks again for all of the replies. While checking out the Savage rifles online, I came across some info on their new Edge XP and read a couple of great reviews on it as an entry level bolt stick. Buds has the scope package for $300 and I could get it in either .223 or .308.

Just to push you a little further over the edge... I also have an sks and put on a couple parts to try to increase the accuracy and its just not worth it. Its a fun rifle to shoot and will out shoot my ak but not precision by any means. I can hold a tighter group with my 10/22 at 100 yds.

I have a remington 700 and it shoots great. My old shooting buddy before i moved had a savage and it shot just as good. The 700 seems nicer in fit and finish wise and the bolt seems to be smoother. With that said the savage is a great rifle. Remember im just partial to the remington since thats what i paid for
wink.gif
for better or worse. Remington has more of an aftermarket following but thats not really an issue. I havent changed any parts on my rem 700 and it still out shoots me.

In the end either one will be a good starting point. Try to get the best quality optic you can. If your careful you can find some nice ones used. Depending on how far you plan to shoot you may want a 20 MOA base.

For caliber how far do you plan to shoot? .223 is cheaper and will have less recoil so it may help on getting the fundamentals down if you have any flinching issues.

Hope that helps,

Major

In regard to how far I plan to shoot, I would like to build up to 100 yards and also think that a .223 would be a good starter to work on the fundamentals.

I am definitely seeing the pattern of the recommended Remy 700 and I see that as my next one after the Savage.

Now that we've gotten this far, I'm going to extend my standard advice the the next standard phase and suggest you also get a simple, reliable, and relatively inexpensive .22LR and do the bulk of your practice/training with it, instead of the .223.

I suggest the Savage MKIIF. It's all you need, along with some Tasco .22LR 1" Medium height rings and a Tasco VAR624X42M scope. The scope and rings should cost about $120 or less. More than this is not required.

The .223's throat life is a perishable commodity, and should not be expended while being used as a training tool.

The .22LR is essentially immortal. It will eat up as much ammo as you can feed it and keep on imitating the Energizer Bunny.

It also imitates the LR phase of rifle shooting, but does it without needing to go to distances like 600 and 1000yd. Shooting a .22LR at 100yd is a big bit like shooting the .223 at 300-400yd.

Plus, the .22LR is gonna be mucho cheaper to shoot lots and lots, which is what you'll need to do if you're going to get good at this stuff.

There is no substitute for practice. There are no shortcuts and no magic tricks. Ya simply gotta do the work.

It's all about the targets. The Boy Scout Rifle Shooting Merit Badge accuracy requirement is ten rounds at 50ft in a group than can be completely covered by a quarter. Do the same thing at 50yd and you're truly competitive with the good-better shooters on this site.

Greg

Greg, would you consider Ruger 10/22 (semi-auto) rifle suitable for practice as you described - and what scope would you recommend for it (that could help the practitioner aiming at using MIL/MIL)?

TNX!

Re: Newbie - Trick out my SKS or buy a starter rif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Now thay I'm done laughing(I started some time yesterday when I read this), go find a Remy 700 SPS 20". It can be found for under $750 </div></div>They can be had for about 550$ switchblade.

It is suitible, but I feel that a bolt action repeater, like the Savage MKII series, to be more suitible. In the end you'll use less ammo to get to the same place, skills-wise.

It the risk of generating major objections from others, I would imagine you can get adequate optics and mounts off the wall at Wal-Mart. For a .22LR, they will do 'well enough', although of course you can put more elegant optics atop the rifle if that pleases you better.

Mil/Mil? At this stage, it's not a real requirement. Heck, at my stage, it still isn't.

Greg

Greg,

Yes I understand that a bolt-action would be better - was just trying to figure whether I <span style="text-decoration: underline">really</span> need to shell out another $200 to $1000 for yet <span style="text-decoration: underline">another</span> rifle ("What? You need ANOTHER rifle?!"), or can get by with what I already have. 22LR ammo - well, thankfully it's not that expensive yet
smile.gif
, so can afford to spend a bit more of it in learning.

As for MIL/MIL - my "real" scope on my "real" rifle is MIL/MIL. I'm just trying to make the transition easier. As you say, not that it really matters - just striving to simplify the learning process.

Thank you!

From someone who is new at this as well. Go find a Remington 710w/ Bushnell scope, get used to shooting a bolt gun. Breathing, holding steady and then move on.

You can usally find one used for $250. If not I will sell <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">you</span></span> mine for $125+shipping.