• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Fieldcraft Portable Hides

hocko

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Australia
First of all I would like to intro myself being new and all. My nickname is Hocko and I'm a current serving Marksman in a Police role in Australia.

I have been toying with the idea of using portable hides in the bush, mainly on recon tasks for drug crops etc.

It's more about concealment rather than cover as 90% of the people we come up against tend not to want to turn the game into a two way range.

Does anyone have any experience with such kit. Not really looking for the duck/deer blind type stuff as I think it is to big with the added hastle of humping it in. We have the standard cam nets/hootchie's and the like that we use, but always looking to make the job easier.

Any ideas??

Re: Portable Hides

Not even a welcome?? What happened to this famous American hospitality I keep hearing about?
grin.gif

<---Civvie

I think the nets would be about the easiest for transport/setup. I would think that most people you're coming up against wouldn't even know how to look for that sort of thing. If you were ever to encounter the people who do know what to look for and how to look for it, you may be screwed anyway.

Trying to be helpful though, I remember seeing this thread a while back. It may be of interest: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1657593#Post1657593

Welcome to the Hide.

welcome hocko!

you'll probably get better answers if you describe your needs more.

is it needed as a one man set-up or is it for more?

are you looking to have relative freedom of movement in the hide?

how long are you typically in this hide?

do you have a preferrance in materials?

do you want something with a collapsible frame?

what distance is typical for your op?

how fast do you have to be able to break it down?

what is your weight limit?

have you tried removable ghillies that go over existing uniforms?

what is your price range?

etc.....

* send me a pm with your outside email address, and i'll send you our catalog pdf. it may have some ideas for you.

Welcome to the Hide. Come on in and join the many and varied conversations.

If you know something about a given thread post your experience. If not, you're welcome to sit back and absorb what you wish.

Most of us older folk really appreciate it if you fill out your profile if you haven’t already.

Once again, nice to have you here.

My portable hide I was planing on making was just going to be two army poncho's snapped together.

Then add netting stiched into the ponchos and tie on ghillie jute or burlap.

You can set up the ponchos using the old army shelterhalf poles. Stake the back of the ghille ponchos to the ground, stake the two sides, then put a small pole in the center of the front.

along the fron edge you can tie on longer burlap or jute so it hangs down over the opening you'll be looking out of.

Benifits:
-it should be hard to spot like all ghillie suits if yiou match it to terrain.
-it will be compact and light. 2 ponchos weigh verry little.
-it will be weatherproof as long as its not a huge downpour.

Cons:
-it will be a prone only type shelter
-it may be hot in the sun. Though you could try a pole along the back edge as well so it gets some airflow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to the Hide. Come on in and join the many and varied conversations.

If you know something about a given thread post your experience. If not, you're welcome to sit back and absorb what you wish.

Most of us older folk really appreciate it if you fill out your profile if you haven’t already.

</div></div>

Victor is so nice and polite.....

id recommend a nice debris shelter when in the bush with no tools required or perhaps a cardboard box painted a nice flektard pattern when in an industrial environ. welcome to the sniperiest place on the net.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jayjayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm gonna buy a whole bunch of rubber fake dog poop and shoe goo it to a brown blanket and lie in wait for coyotes in a cow pasture, what do you guys think? </div></div>

I think real dog poop would work better.

Distance, within reason is your friend. Being able to stand off with good glass, an see night or day is highly under rated. Once you find your target, hide'y paint up.

In todays world, very small, very quite, real time video equiped UAV's, are within reach of most everyone,...to include the bad guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to the Hide. Come on in and join the many and varied conversations.

</div></div>

Victor is so nice and polite..... </div></div>

I'm just trying to be polite. Mom used to smack me sideways when I was rude... She's 84 now. She still would if she could catch me.

If you plan on an extended op use chickenwire and burlap. This will give you a rigid concealment that won't blow away. It will stay off of your head and alow more concealed movement. Just take a few yards out with you rolled up and construct the hide to cover your rifle action, head and shoulders. Bend the wire in a non symetric arc over you. Let your ghille do the rest of the work. It sounds a little extreme, try it out and see if this idea fits what you need.

Keep it simple...

Get a Tactical Concealment ROID Cobra and garnish it for your AOR.
2007ROIDgirl.jpg

I have one of these and they are very nice.
You stay cool and it allows for quite a bit of flexibility as opposed to a full Ghillie.
(You can reverse it, it's easy to quickly don or ditch, can use as garnish over a hide, etc.)
As an added bonus, Hide members get a 10% discount.

Configure a vehicle and or "Urban Drape" materials for working the city.
Permanently modified vehicles can be very effective.

YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep it simple...

Get a Tactical Concealment ROID Cobra and garnish it for your AOR.
2007ROIDgirl.jpg

I have one of these and they are very nice.
You stay cool and it allows for quite a bit of flexibility as opposed to a full Ghillie.
(You can reverse it, it's easy to quickly don or ditch, can use as garnish over a hide, etc.)
As an added bonus, Hide members get a 10% discount.

Configure a vehicle and or "Urban Drape" materials for working the city.
Permanently modified vehicles can be very effective.

YMMV </div></div>

If I had one of THOSE, I'ld never leave the house!!!

Or were you refering to her suit?