• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Member Link Up SHWW Group

Re: SHWW Group

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOOTNECK9Z45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have room for one more at one of your shoots..I live in Gig Harbor..Have some steel targets/chainsaw etc etc..Thanks

Mike </div></div>

Welcome.

Just keep an eye on here. The next big shoot open to everyone one will probably be in January or February. A few of us are going to go check this new spot out and see if it is capable of having a large group. we had about 15 people at our last shoot and everything went good, but it was a place that we had used before and have a pretty good system worked out. It would kinda suck to have a bunch of people show up somewhere that no one has really checked out or come up with a plan on how or where to place targets etc.

If you have targets and stands, that is always helpful. we have a bunch, but the more the better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or better optics!
wink.gif

Welcome BOOTNECK!

Fellas, please just lay out your plans as you see fit... if I can join you, I will jump on board... so long as there is still room...

DSM... I'd really like to compare that Newcon of yours up against the Leica 1200... </div></div>

I have access to that new gps, I want to set up two waypoints and see how that compares to the range finders as well.

CJG

Introducing myself here. Been lurking off and on for some time, finally signed up. I'm also on several other forums (not all firearm related) under other names. Live in Lacey, unfortunately nothing nearby in the way of facilities. 45 minutes away from Shelton or the Marksman in Puyallup for handgun ranges. I haven't shot my long guns in some time now, well since I left Colorado a year and a half ago. Moved here for my job. Skills are rusty I'm sure, not to mention I have to zero a new scope.

Holla back if you gots any questions of me. Happy to share, and if I won't, I'll at least tell you why.

Welcome aboard, What kind of shootin you lookin for? Upper Nisqually is in Eatonville and Paul Bunyan is in Graham. Agian welcome--hope to see you at the range some day

Got a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter .338 Win Mag with a B.O.S.S. mounted in a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock and Harris S bipod. Pics comin' later as I can't link them from work.

Was wanting to get into the "dynamite shoots" in Colorado while I lived there but work always seemed to get in the way, even to spectate. Long range target shoots would be cool falling back on hunting elk or deer sometime. Looking to refine my 2-600 meter shots.

My longest confirmed kill was a cantalope melon at 503 meters, 10,600 feet above sea level, 68 degrees air temp with light and variable breeze. Warmed up on apples at 100 meters. Nothing like instant gratification of a hit. Bamabi and friends helped with the cleanup of the biodegradables, I took care of the rest.

Wow, didn't even know that was there. I've shot at Bullseye and wasn't impressed. Will have to look into TR&H. Thanks for the guest invite, I'll let you know. Maybe if there is ever any Indian Summer here I can at least get zeroed. I have a coworker that lives in Lakewood and it's about 25 minutes to his place (59th and Bridgeport). Much cheaper to shoot on Ft. Lewis, but range times don't match up well with my work schedule not to mention the hoops that have to be jumped through. Thanks again Mike for the invite, I'll be in touch sometime.

welcome if you dont mind he drive we have some shoots out west of port angeles every once in a while out to 1200 yds its closed right now to hunting but will be back up in the spring. looking foward to meeting up for some blasting steel.

hey tribe, just ordered my loading stuff for the blackwidow!!! can't wait to shoot it next to your punee angry moth hehehehe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blackwidow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">welcome if you dont mind he drive we have some shoots out west of port angeles every once in a while out to 1200 yds its closed right now to hunting but will be back up in the spring. looking foward to meeting up for some blasting steel.</div></div>

Drives don't bother me. I'll keep my eyes peeled for these as I can always (hopefully) take time off from work. Currently Teusdays and Wednesdays are my weekend and I'm on rotating shifts weekly.

Dues don't look too terrible for the TRRC. Will have to look more into that and see what the budgeting office will allow and when.

Hey guys-
New here and to shooting. I'm located in north Kitsap outside of Poulsbo. I've lived here most all my life but was living in central Oregon last year when I really started growing interested. I moved back north chasing work and am afraid I got spoiled by all the shooting spots down there. I went back for a visit right after I got my Savage 10FLCP-K in .308 and was able to put rounds on steel at 725yds. I'd really like to find a spot to do that up here. The local range is limited to 200.

Anyone shoot in the Olympic national forest or Capitol forest?

I've been told of a couple of places in the Capital Forrest and have directions. Unfortunately I haven't done a site recon yet so I can't speak to the range distances, layouts or backstops.

I had a great place to shoot in Colorado as I mentioned in a post above. 500+ meters on the longest axis and a really nice layout for 100 meter shots to warm up on. That was then, though.

Just a word to the wise. Make sure and PM directions and exact locations of shooting spots. We don't all know who reads these threads since they are open to the general public. so just be careful, or your shooting spots could get "disrespected"...

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hopps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been elk hunting since opening day anyone care if I post some pics? </div></div>

Hellz Noez. Send it (them)!!!

these were taken about 30 minutes after official shooting hours started. We ended up having a log skidder within a few miles of the kill so...retrieval was easy mode.

1107090838-00.jpg

Taken with a .358 STA and 7mm STW

1107090839-22.jpg

We had 3 guys on this one opening day, 6 guys all day sunday and 8 guys for 45 minutes on monday morning
shocked.gif
Killshot was a headshot at 200 yards with a .270.

1109090903-00.jpg

As you can see it was very foggy that day and all were taken with a camera phone.

For the most part these were all loner bulls and the competition has been pretty serious against us (poachers, natives etc)...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hopps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1107090839-22.jpg
</div></div>

That moustache is growin' in good
laugh.gif

Whenz the sausage steaks gonna be ready?

tribe next time we head out west i'll hump that steel up that clear cut. unless we find some where else that has a longer range. i can't remember who told me might have been you but i heard making shots out to 75% of the subsonic distance was easy the last 25% is where it takes alot of practice. if thats the case and without knowing my exact load and velocity the 75% should be between 2000-2300 yds.

that clear cut from the ridge will only be 1200 yds. i would have to got down to the end of that ridge and shoot from the dirt path that might be 1600-1760 yds not sure we didnt get an accurate reading.

BW.... Wow. From my experience, and the more I read seems to back it up.... but it really seems to depend on the bullet.... Some seem to handle the "transonic" range much better than others...

I.E. the first time out there at the Sol Duc, I was concerned with how my .308 would handle at 1,100yds... when I start running out of Super Sonic mojo at around 950yds... the 175 SMK's turned out to be predictable and repeatable through the transonic range, and apparently that is part of their allure... from what I understand the 220's have got that same transonic vibe going on....

Anyway, if you want to push the maximum range of that cannon, and not just maximum supersonic range, you may want to research that end of your bullet choice.....

check here for a start.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2009infantrysmallarms/tuesdaysessioniii8524.pdf

VLD projectiles are very fast and flat shooting. But just like a fighter jet, they become unstable as they slow down.

non-VLD's are more like cannon balls. Not the fastest or flatest, but they don't go radical on you when slowing through the trans sonic range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blackwidow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks tribe, if i have a velocity of 3200 which is very possible, shooting a flat shot with the conditions that we had at the last shoot i was at im at a velocity of 1189 fps at 3000 yds. that tells you how far this cannon can shoot....hehehe </div></div>

um, are you saying that you're shooting .30 caliber 220 grain SMK's at 3200 fps? If that is correct, what caliber, rifle, length of barrel, etc are you using? Load data?

That's smoking!
crazy.gif

He has a whole new setup... (ds gave me the inside scoop) hahaha

Im thinkin our next shoot at solduc in the spring time is going to require some new bigger pieces of steal, may be shooting quite a bit farther than before. I just got most of the stuff for reloading my .50. 750gr at 2700ft/s and a BC of about .92. should fly pretty good.
If thats not enough, then i could spend 1500 and get a bolt and barrell conversion to run the same "setup" as blackwidow.

CJG

just finished painting the blackwidow. i'll have to say i dont think i did a bad job for my first time. since i'm not allowed to paint any of the house my wife says i'm a gloopy painter. oh and ranger my bullet is a 350gr 375 cal lathe turned bullet with a b.c. of 1.13 hehehe i dont think vancover island is far enough!
and tribe got all my reloading stuff today it came early. just waiting on the shell holder and then time to pound some out!!

well if i can ever figure out how to take a picture and put it on the computer and some how paste it on here then i would show every one. or i can be an ass and just make you all wait till we have another shoot. hehehe i might have to have joe put the pic on or i'll try to email it to tribe by the way when is our next shoot?

Send [email protected] I can post the FS pictures!!!
laugh.gif
There are no secrets on the internet...especially on the Hide!!!!

Upon arrival I will give the review of the AICS for the 10/22 stock...might be a good trainer?

Elk hunting sucked and I am done with it for a long time.... shot a 4x4 in the neck at an estimated 450 yards with me 270WSM and it was not a kill shot....another guy blasted it in the ass and shoulder with a 325WSM...so that is the way Elk Hunting goes and I am done with it...still archery hunting for a doe but fucking leagle bulls are harder than Peter North's cock and just as many girls are on them.....GD road hunters made new ruts in the road this year.....fuck em.

I belive the money saved hunting earns me a free pass to the scout/shoot on the 21st and 22nd...so those were the dates Dafar.....but let Longeyes confirm it....it is a purely a ranging and land clearing expedition as far as I am concerned.

o_O let me know if your interested in it next year. We run a big enough group and usually keep people off or out manuever people trying to jack our bulls... 7 legals so far this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hopps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">o_O let me know if your interested in it next year. We run a big enough group and usually keep people off or out manuever people trying to jack our bulls... 7 legals so far this year. </div></div>

Still have time and a tag if you want some of the meat!!

So here goes my first attempt at posting pictures. I shot a 5 point white tail today! It was definitely a lot harder than shooting targets haha.

Here's a picture of me finishing him off
P1030178.jpg

And here's me with the deer
deer.jpg

Not bad for the first animal I've ever shot huh?

Don't you know that 5x5 is really a 10 pointer!!!! Sheesh count em if you got em!!!!
laugh.gif

Nice Buck for sure! If you have it butchered and turned into hamburger ask the butcher if you can get Ribeye fat in the burger. I save the excess fat from the Ribeye sides from Costco and then grind that fat in with venison for hamburger...best burger ever made, the Ribeye fat does not cook down like most burger dies, think about how tastey the ribeye is when you get a big chunk of fat!! Then put that in a burger!!

Looks like you found a bullet that worked?

What was the range?