• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Member Link Up SHWW Group

Re: SHWW Group

Thanks for the welcomes guys, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and were blessed enough to be able to eat too much.
smile.gif

Does anyone out here ever go to the Cascade Rifle and Pistol Club in Ravensdale? I live about 4 minutes away and was looking at joining there to have some place close to shoot my pistol.

If any of you guys ever go out that way and wouldn't mind me tagging along to see what you're shooting I would love it. I was looking at something like this to possibly get me started:

http://www.snipercentral.com/rementrypack.phtml

If you guys have other suggestions or ideas (maybe someplace local?) I am all ears. I have been doing a ton of reading across the net and I am still obviously trying to figure out what would be good to start with that wouldn't be too difficult to upgrade if I find myself enjoying this.

Thanks again,

Marty

I've been hitting the CRPC the last couple of days randomly... working through some issues... likely be there again Sunday - Black Ford.

Nailz, if you are four minutes from there, I wouldn't even hesitate signing up...

Thanks guys, I will look on the for sale forums as well, I just have to make sure I don't go too insane or the wife might kill me with whatever I buy. That is unless I reciprocate...
smile.gif

I probably won't be around there this weekend, but next weekend I am going to be a bachelor so maybe on Sunday.

Take care,

Marty

well took the blackwidow out again today testing at 400 yds. back the charges down a ways settled on the first group today measured 1.14 in outside to outside. ended up being .182 moa. did not crony them but i think it should be around 3170fps. now got to site it in and then i'm ready for some long range.

oh and tribe i can blame my gut on what ever i want to!!!!

^^^ Is that back or up?
wink.gif
I'm down - I think.

BW... I don't think it should just be assumed that Big's want's to entertain this motley crew... we might need to ease him into it!
grin.gif
I think the same should be said, for anyone else, that has a good spot, they may be thinking of sharing with other like-minded shooters.... Respect for another's such sacred ground is critical... IMHO.

Marty... thanks for the heads-up!

i totally understand tribe. if its ok if i shoot from the opposite end of the ridge and be able to shoot up into that clear cut i might be able to reach a mile. should be a cake walk for this gun if all my data is spot on. anyone of you are welcome to join me on the darkside for some longer shots...i'll just have to show up early to put the steel up there...

Tribe. I appreciate your concern for my "sacred shooting spot". I just sent you a PM with a little more detail.(not much). BW- I would like to see that 375 you're playing with. I see you're on the peninsula. I assume your "sacred spot" is also over there? I'd love to join you for a LR shoot, but that would be a very expensive trip for me now a days.

bigwheels, i understand about everything being expensive coming over here and going over there. our sacred spot is about 40 min to 1 hour west of port angeles. but i would love to come over there to strech her legs since we can't get 2000yds in our sacred spot. it is a rifle that you DONT blast a lot of rounds since its so expensive for componets i'll bring 40 rds to a shoot but then i'll be out of projectile and would have to wait till i have money left over from christmas and bills, and doctor bills since the wife is expecting our second child.

Congrats on the kid on the way. My brother, & his wife just had their 4th 3 days ago. A girl finally. 40 rnds is more than I usually shoot my 300 WM in a day, so that's totally fine. If you're willing to carry your steel a ways, I can even get you to about 2300-2500 +/- up here. I don't want a bunch of guys up at the same time, as I like to keep a low profile around here, but if your up for it, you, & Tribe could get together with me in a few weeks, & see what we can do.

Try this.
28.10"hg St/psi
40* Temp.
That would be typical for this time of year.
I'm useing a NXS 5.5-22 X 56 NP-R1.
My small steel is only 12" wide, by 18" tall, & I had no problem seeing it. Hitting it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was able to see most of the impacts, & walked some in on it.
You'll have to use your own steel tho. I'm not letting you blow holes in mine.

BW I have steel for you....loader edges about 1 1/8" and about 18"....not sure I haven't measured them....larger than the other heavies we had in the Sol Duc.....you might be able to see impacts on white...but remember how much trouble we had decifering hits from misses at the 660 and 400 on the heavies?

Big wheels: What kind of a back drop are those ELR spots? Sand, loose dirt, gravel?

My wife's B-day is 1-9 so I can't hit that....so that I can "Hit That"
wink.gif

I just threw out some dates...if any other weekend works for you Big Wheels you say so....we aren't going to get everybody's opinion here just the host's.

Backdrops on the 750yd range is end of a clear cut with huge stumps for the targets. The 2K is the end of the road & trees for about 1/2 mile or more. Or we can use a slash pile if you'd rather, but seeing misses @ 2K in a slash pile will be a real trick. If that 375 was shooting SMK's or something soft, I might consider letting it hit my steel, but solids... I don't think so.My 300WM will put small dents in my steel @ 700. I've had another guy hit it with a 300RUM with 180 TTSX's at that range with even less damage, so anything less won't be a problem. I'm not hindered by wives, etc. so just about any weekend will work for me as long as the weather cooperates. If it's foggy, or raining you can't even see 1500 yds, let alone 2K. There are a couple other F/P's im looking at in the same area that should give good backstops, etc. for about 1500-1700+/- too. But someone would have to hump the steel about 1/4 mile from the truck to set it up.

Well not to speak for him but Rotorturner has an 4x4 ATV? If they are allowed there...he makes "Steel Bitch" fun!!!
laugh.gif

As far as the steel goes unless it is a fall away or silohette type target don't worry about them!! I have plenty of steel and have no problem giving you some!!! My shit is mostly DH2 and very heavy and pretty maleable, but at the last big SHWW shootout a 338LM went through a piece of 5/16 wall square tube and didn't pass the opposite side!!! That was at 660 yards.

My problem is hangers, can't really get material for hangers out of scrap. I have 3 hangers but might make a few more, if the stupms are good or we can make rounds Trap Stapels and chain work spectacular.

If we can come up with a heavy duty lay flat modular hanger how would everybody feel about making a SHWW "Steel and Hanger" Trust?

Ya running steal is my "specialty" ahhaha. For me its basically just as fun as shooting, so If quads are allowed, hauling steal, checking hits, moving steal etc. is fast and simple. I think big wheels just needs to decide on how many people he is up to hosting. Sounded like it was only going to be BW and Tribe? No pressure, its up to him since its his spot. If the quad is allowed and you want more steal, DS and I are good contributors in those departments. plus I wouldnt mind trying the .50 at those ranges with the Amaxes.

It would take a lot of work to get a quad there. You'll see when you see the place.
My steel is 5/8" mild plate. I have 2 that are 18" X 30" sihloettes, one is set up to hang, & I have a small pipe hanger for it,& 2, 12" X 18" sihloettes. The one in my 2K shot pic. Space to set them up will be an issue. There isn't a lot of space for "extra" targets, but it can be done. There are good lines for anything past 500, out to the max. Also with some pruning I had a spot where I could do 1100+/- too at the same spots. Just have to set up on the switchback behind the F/P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. I think big wheels just needs to decide on how many people he is up to hosting. Sounded like it was only going to be BW and Tribe? No pressure, its up to him since its his spot. </div></div>

Hey now...none of that sissy ass nice and polite shit!!!! I want in there and I am going to shoot pop cans and glass bottels!!!

Really though my rifle is pushing it to 1500 and I might just be in it for the fun...if we end up car pooling over the fuel would be pretty cheap....BW/me/Rotor....if Rotor has a small trailer for the quad? I can pull 19MPG in my truck and we can all ride comfortable....but somebody has to ride bitch...but they can lay down!

Rotor...how the hell do we get to Anacortes? My sister lived there but I don't remember if we take a ferry or not?

I'd like to keep it down to maybe 4-5 guys at a time. Some locals have seen me shooting up there now, & they have come up, & trashed the place. Also everyone would have to park in the road, as there is only room @ the F/P for 2-3 rigs. If some can carpool, that would be OK. I can show the 1st group what I'm looking at, & maybe next time we can try to get the quad up to set up targets off the road. Do to the layout of the area, people can only fire from one place at a time, exc. for the 2K range. That requires a platform be set up on the other road, & blocked up in place to be level, etc. I have a nice platform to use.

Yeah. You guys from P-A will have to take the ferry, or drive around & up from Tacoma. If your coming from P-A on the ferry I could meet you @ sharps corner(where you meet the HW 20 to Mt. Vernon) Thats if you come in on the Keystone ferry. It's about an hour drive from there up to the area.

Subtle as a handgrenade!!

If it is a public place and people are trashing it, I can act like an asshole off duty Sherrif.....that wouldn't technically be impersonating an LEO...would it!!

Yeah I am all for a rake and a few buckets to clean up their shit if it might help keep the place open.

I wasn't meaning to push this shootout into the public eye...sorry. But in all regards it is your honey hole....hell you wouldn't share a pussy with a bunch of guys you don't know....and a ELR shooting spot is alot tougher to find than a warm slit.
blush.gif

My longest "kill shot" was a cantalope at 503 meters. I warmed up on apples at 100 meters. I figured I can get instant gratification of hits and Bambi and friends could do the clean up. Otherwise, biodegradible is fine too. I also used bioclay pidgeons from time to time.

Different strokes I guess, I never like shooting glass nor not cleaning up after myself.

338WinMag, DSM was being a smart-ass, we typically shoot at steel hangers and everything we bring in leaves with us including sometimes the trash left by other less than thoughtful "target shooters"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longeyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">338WinMag, DSM was being a smart-ass, we typically shoot at steel hangers and everything we bring in leaves with us including sometimes the trash left by other less than thoughtful "target shooters" </div></div>

I beg pardon as though I have come and gone as a lurker for years, I am only a recent member. I still do not have a good feel for most members' sense of humor. I too have made a practice of removing more than my own share of trash from sites I have used. That being said, perhaps what I have described could be just another option for those that wish to choose it some time. Bambi and friends like snacks too
wink.gif

Yup.... that's the whole point... it's the reactive targets that we all seek... most of us can go shoot paper any time. That's also the reason we treat these "Honey Holes" as "sacred"... as they're getting harder and harder to find... if we leave them better than we found them, and pay the utmost courtesy to those we rub elbows with while on the land... hopefully, we can be good wardens of the sport, and our shooting opportunities can grow... rather than continuing to diminish.
cool.gif

BTW.... howdy 338! I don't believe I've ever said hello...
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blackwidow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey tribe you should try to lauch a couple rounds of the 308 and the moth out there to see how close you can get...if you dare!!!haha</div></div>
All depends on the Mighty Moth's Transonic juju! On paper, I've got enough to get to 2,100/2,200 yards.... but IF I get them, I'll be getting the bends just short of 1,400.... anyone have any experience with the 115 DTACS transonic?

Does it look like this?!
Mothra.jpg

Muuhahaahahahaha::ack::ahahaahah!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW.... howdy 338! I don't believe I've ever said hello...
wink.gif
</div></div>

Thanks. I think we're on the same page on this subject. That 503 meter shot was at 10,600 feet several years ago when I lived in Colorado. Moved here for my job 2 years ago come Feb.

BTW, I haven't asked this yet in any other section, how do you all account for the last meter/yard? I measure with my LRF from laying down behind my rifle then subtract the one meter/yard to compensate for the distance to the muzzle. Am I a little overly anal or is this "last meter/yard" just considered to be "factored in"?

I just use the range the LRF shows me. 1 yd+/- is the accuracy limit of the LRF anyway.
As for picking up splash. The stumps where the targets are show reasonably well for the most part, but watching trace is better. The 2K target can show pretty well when it's dry, but when it's wet, ie. most of the time, it's OK at best. If you can hit the road, you can see it pretty well, but if your in the clear cut, no. Maybe that 375, or 50 will show up better than my little 300 WM.
So, you guys from P-A will take the Keystone to Whidby, & meet me @ Sharps Corner? Say at the little grocery next to the resturant? Name the date, & time.