• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Member Link Up SHWW Group

Re: SHWW Group

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even at ranges of 2k+ a couple yards is an insignificant difference. Your variation in muzzle velocity and the Bc of each individual projo will make more of a difference.

CJG </div></div>

I kinda figured as much. The minute differentiation could/would be explained away by nearly any of the factors that comprise the greater formula for the "quintessential shot". Shadow from sun angle, wind at any point between muzzle and impact, all the many factors one is responsible to standardize and make repeatable as the shooter from sight picture, cheek weld, breath control and so on. +/- one meter/yard was discovered (by me) to be too much to quantify as a mutatable portion of the overall formula.

I was just curious for those more experienced in the LR/HP game than I if there was something (else on the long list of things) I didn't know of or have any personal experience with. The LR "Dynamite" shoots I heard and read about while living in Colorado intrigued me immensely and would've loved to have gone to spectate (quietly) and observe. I'm sure the refinement of skill levels is HUGE compared to where I am.

That "nth" degree must be one of those "intangibles" that the "great ones" of their respective trades are recognized for that are frankly, undescribable by any other means. Joe Montana, Wayne Gretzky, Carlos Hathcock and so on. Their skills were so far elevated in comparison to most others that just excell is understatedly "intangible".

Hey guys, still lurking around and trying to do as much reading as I can...

Another question for you all.... Your first rifles, or even what you have now, are you picking things up locally or dealing with folks all over the place and using FFL's?

Just curious as to how complicated the process is using the FFL's, I keep seeing some beautiful rifles out here and wondering how much effort it takes to get one brought home.

I also went to West Coast Armory in Issaquah and they recommendeded I talk to Mike Palazzo in Covington. They said he does really good work and it would be REALLY nice to deal with someone who only lives 10 minutes from me. Has anyone dealt with him?

Thanks for the advice.

Marty

Havent dealt with palazzo.

I pick most of my stuff up off the internet. You just need to find a dependable FFL that charges like 20 bux. It makes it more personable and easy that way. The whole process is pretty easy, just make sure his FFL gets to the seller, and you make payment directly to the seller, about like buying anything else on the net. Just be careful about sending Money orders to strangers, you have no protection when you do that. try and use a credit card, with that you have a lot of recourse.

CJG

I have a Badger 20 moa base. I thought about going for a 30, or a 40, but I kinda like a 100yd zero. Not sure how much I realy have left to go down. It would be close with a 40 moa. Besides, it's only a 300WM. 1 mile should be enough, & I have no problem reaching out to that far. I'm OK useing the NP-R1 for anything farther than that.

97 Cummins...are you in PA? Darrel is alright but if you want a much better FFL..IMO....that doesn;t just try to sell you what he has on the shelf and a gunsmith that isn't quite as arrogant let me know. I have much better of both, smith is in Sequim but he is very good and very reasonably priced.

BTW

100_3523.jpg

Hey just an offer to SHWW...my wife got a shit pot of carpet samples from a carpet store that went under....6"x6" aproximatly....would be good for mounting on a board to shoot from for elbow pads and what not....I am trying to get more of the mat sized ones but if anybody wants the 6"x6" let me know and I will set them aside.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">97 Cummins...are you in PA? Darrel is alright but if you want a much better FFL..IMO....that doesn;t just try to sell you what he has on the shelf and a gunsmith that isn't quite as arrogant let me know. I have much better of both, smith is in Sequim but he is very good and very reasonably priced. </div></div>

I'm located across the bridge in the Poulsbo area. Some friends deal with him and I wanted one of their bumper stickers so I took the drive, haha. He was easy to deal with and actually had some 45 ACP on the shelf too. I might be in the market for a carry gun soon so I'll let you know. Does your guy flute bolts?

I'd really like to go out on one of these shoots as I've had zero luck finding anything around here or just across the bridge. I thought about entering the F class match at Machias this weekend just to get some trigger time outside 200 yds. No time to load this week though.

I got my cousin and my uncle some of those Springfield XDM 9mm's before he got back from the sandbox and before I gave them to them I played with them and they fit my hand really well...as an example I am 6'9" 285 with a LOP of 15" and he is about 5'11" 220 and a little bigger than average but it fit his hand really well also...easy field strip and fairly lightweight also. Or you could go with the Ruger LCP...I got one of those for my wife but she has yet to shoot it in the year we've had it!! Very small (smaller than my palm) and holds 6 +1 of 380ACP.

My smith has a mill but I don't belive it has the ability to spiral flute anything....you just looking for flutes like the Stillers?

Next shootout out west you are more than welcome to come out to. Closest is about 400 yards and furthest is 1100 yards...those are the easy acces points.

The XD is what I have had my eye on for a carry unit. That 3.8" XDm might just seal the deal. I'm not a huge 9mm fan but if 19 rounds and a spare mag doesn't do it WTF will...

Fullsize anything is out of the question other wise I'd just haul around the RIA tactical. It may have to go down to Arnel at Rock for some extractor/ejector work if the stovepipes don't stop anyway.

Not that it really needs it but I was just looking to get some Rem. TI style fluting like Kampfeld Custom does.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for future shoots.

Still on. Forecast says Sat 60% showers, & 50*. Sun says 40% showers, & 47*. But since they really don't know anything about the weather, it's a crap shoot. Either will work for me. Is one better for you, say the word.

Sorry, in the middle of a week of Mids. Not sure I could pull off the shift, the drive out and back and then another shift without a little sleep. I'd definitely like to meet and greet over a shoot sometime, though.

Well to put it out there, if Rotor can't make it I might bail...I can only really strech my 270WSM out to maybe 1500 yards and I have only shot about 10 roundas at 1111 yards with it. So I don't have any real need to go ELR but if Rotor can make it then right on, but I don't need anything past the Sol Duc ranges yet and they are only 45 min away for me....when/if we do a full on shootout in Anacortes I would deffinatly be there but I am hesitant to make the journey by myself when I have the range and acces I need at this point close.

Not bailing yet but the other South-ish SHWW guys haven't confirmed 100% yet so if they don't just wanted Big Wheels to know where I am at.

I think I am out, I have been slow on work the last couple weeks, but things are going to pick up and I'm 90% sure i'm going to be working that weekend. Plus i still don't have my reloading stuff setup so i cant load for the 50 yet. I think the last couple weeks in jan or the first week or so in feb would be wide open for me and by then I will have some ammo built. We should plan something in those time periods for either solduc or anacortes. That might let some other people get prepared also.

CJG

I'm reading this stuff... and all I'm hearing in my head, is that sound the grown-ups make when addressing Charlie Brown and the rest of the Peanuts Crew.... "Whawhawhawhaawan Whahnwan whaa........"
smile.gif

Bigs... I'll be runnin' with a .308 & a 6x47L... don't know "Max" range yet, but mean to find out... my understanding is, we can set up some intermediate targets as well... no?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm reading this stuff... and all I'm hearing in my head, is that sound the grown-ups make when addressing Charlie Brown and the rest of the Peanuts Crew.... "Whawhawhawhaawan Whahnwan whaa........"
smile.gif

Bigs... I'll be runnin' with a .308 & a 6x47L... don't know "Max" range yet, but mean to find out... my understanding is, we can set up some intermediate targets as well... no? </div></div>

I know I am a girl....but so is Rotor!!!
laugh.gif
And we already knew Blackwidow was!!!!
shocked.gif

If you need to we can set up targets anywhere from 0-700 in any increment you want. From there on its big jumps. Next one is 1100, & then there's 2K+ with the possibility of some other ranges in the 1500+ area with some work. So if it's just Tribe, & me, we can still have fun.

I'm still in.... so long as weather doesn't make it impossible.

Started snowing hard enough this evening, I could hardly make out my targets at 600... had to trust the dope, and hope for the best.... got down to the pit, and everything worked out just fine
wink.gif
.... seems the moth flies blind!

Anyone know what can happen with moisture in the chamber? Got snow on my ammo... wiped it down, as best as I could, but still had pressure, including one blown primer......
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know what can happen with moisture in the chamber? Got snow on my ammo... wiped it down, as best as I could, but still had pressure, including one blown primer......
eek.gif
</div></div>

If you're talking about hydrostatic shock, that is the stuff nightmares are made of. You can't compress a liquid so something (in a rifle; the action, bolt and/or barrel) is going to have a "catastrophic failure".

Hydrostatic shock

If you're talking about a chemical reaction, what happens when you add oxegen, water, carbon, intense pressure and extreme heat together? Remember when I was fire forming the 6XC brass and pouring water down the super heated barrel to cool it off? Yeah, it's the same thing but on a <span style="font-weight: bold">micro scale</span> in comparison (I ended up burning off the first 3 inches of lands).

You should be ok, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. Well, maybe <span style="font-weight: bold">I would</span> make a habit of doing that!
grin.gif

Glad to hear you didn't blow anything serious. I've had water drops get on my ammo in my 300WM, but I caught it, & wiped it off before firing.

As for the weather, its still snowing up here, but the forecasts are saying that it's going to warm up later this week, so getting up there won't be a problem.

It may be raining, but as long as it's not foggy we should be able to do some LLLOOONNNGGG range shooting anyway. You have ballistics out to 2K to start with? I have FFS on a PDA that I always bring, so if not we can get close.

A friend, & I are going to try to get up there tomorrow to do some "range improvements". I want to see if I can get some good spots for targets @ 1760yds +/-. Maybe more, or less too. And clear a path for my game cart to carry steel out there. I'll let you know how it went when we get back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hydrostatic shock

You should be ok, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. Well, maybe <span style="font-weight: bold">I would</span> make a habit of doing that!
grin.gif

</div></div>

Wow! I'm glad my brain is still ok.... I think.....
whistle.gif

Big's.... Sounds awesome. I'm a big fan of the FFS myself... it will be tagging along. From what it tells me, I have enough scope out to 2K.... just not sure I've got the ass to back it up! May be an exercise in futility either way... but banging steel makes it worth while at any range... 1,760 would be very cool on all sorts of levels!
wink.gif

Head's Up SHWW!

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1502908&#Post1502908

State lawmakers to seek ban on sales of semi-automatic weapons
In response to recent shooting deaths, three state lawmakers say they want to ban the sale of military-style semi-automatic weapons in Washington.

By Molly Rosbach

Seattle Times staff reporter

In response to recent shooting deaths, three state lawmakers say they want to ban the sale of military-style semi-automatic weapons in Washington.

The lawmakers intend to propose the ban in the state legislative session that begins next month.

The legislation, called the Aaron Sullivan Public Safety and Police Protection Bill, would prohibit the sale of such weapons to private citizens and require current owners to pass background checks.

It is named for Aaron Sullivan, 18, who was fatally shot last July in Seattle's Leschi neighborhood, allegedly with an assault-style weapon.

Supporters say they also are motivated by the Oct. 31 slaying of Seattle Police Officer Timothy Brenton and the wounding of his partner. Police believe a .223-caliber semi-automatic rifle was used then.

The bill is backed by Seattle's police department, spokeswoman Renee Witt said. Also pushing it is Washington Ceasefire, a nonprofit that seeks to reduce gun violence. The group plans a news conference today to announce the proposal.

The lawmakers who plan to sponsor the bill are Rep. Ross Hunter, D-Medina; Sen. Adam Kline, D-Seattle; and Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles, D-Seattle.

The ban would cover semiautomatics designed for military use that are capable of rapid-fire and can hold more than 10 rounds. Semiautomatics designed for sporting or hunting purposes wouldn't be banned.

"If they're used in the army, used in the war — that's what this ban is about," said Ralph Fascitelli, the board president of Washington Ceasefire.

Dave Workman, senior editor of Gun Week, a publication of the Second Amendment Foundation in Bellevue, said such a ban would punish law-abiding citizens who own such guns.

"I don't care if my neighbor has a dozen of the things; ... as long as he's not hurting anyone or breaking any laws, leave him alone," Workman said.

He also said he doesn't consider the gun police say was used to kill Brenton an assault rifle.

Hunter knows getting the bill through the Legislature would be difficult, because of concerns about limits on gun ownership. However, he thinks the ban is necessary.

"We don't allow people to own tanks or bazookas or machine guns, and very few people think that that's an unreasonable restriction," he said.

Kohl-Welles said the lawmakers are trying to be practical and aren't suggesting guns be taken from current owners.

"What we're trying to get at is there's no place to have sales of military assault rifles or weapons in this state," she said.

She also said she doesn't believe such a ban would violate the Second Amendment, the right to bear arms.

"Did the framers of our Constitution ever envision something like a semi-automatic weapon?" she asked.

Molly Rosbach: 206-464-2311 or [email protected]

I dont understand to me this sentence seems very simple
the right to keep and bear arms shall NOT be infringed

I am feeling infringed, not to mention I feel like someone is trying to bend me over

You know guys the sad thing is that in another generation they will be able to get away with this. Once we die off the next generation has had guns demonized so much that here will be to few shooters to stop them from passing stupid laws like this

Got to spend the day with another SHWW guy, and had a blast! Unfortunately, we got fogged-in, so we didn't get a chance at "The Long Shot" (2k)... but we we able to smack around some steel at 400 & 700, while waiting for the fog to lift... and any reason to tromp around the woods with a rifle, is plenty good enough in my book!
whistle.gif

Thanks a TON Bigwheels (& Ed if you read this), for showing me around... and nice shooting.... that thing is a hammer... from first to last, I'm not sure you missed a shot!

On another lighter note... Ranger, are you out there??????
eek.gif