• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Member Link Up SHWW Group

Re: SHWW Group

I asked about it on WCT, but haven't got a reply. I have a LR308 16" with a red dot on it. I just need to know if it'd need a scope or not. Also if there are any ammo restrictions attached. It's loadeed with NATO surp FMJ.

OK, I'll try and answer a few of the questions.
You need a 2 man team to compete. If you cannot find a partner, we will try and team you up with another single.
One team member will shoot precision rifle, the other carbine, up to you which. Carbine targets will be from ~100-500 yards or so, rifle will be from 300-1200 yards or so. Figure field position shooting for both, mag changes on the carbine. These will all have tight time limits on them. NO steel core, or bi metal jacked ammo. If in doubt, check it with a magnet.
If you want to shoot a magnum, fine but I will be charging a $30.00 fee to help offset the repair cost on the targets from the hammering they take from the magnums. This fee will only apply to those shooting the magnums.
I will update as information is available.
Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longeyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well that probly lets me out---I've got a socom II but I'm not any good with it---been spending my range time behind the 06 </div></div>
Well if you have a precision rifle, just find a partner that has a good carbine and you're in like Flint!

Shhhh.... I was hoping no one would notice....
whistle.gif

...you and that "partner" of yours would have made a fearsome pair!
wink.gif

Nice, i have one goodie I ordered almost a year ago, but it will miss the meet on the 6th by a week or two.

I would like more details on the carbine portion of the competition. Like is 223 mandatory? does it just have to be semi auto? etc. Also how far in advance will we get the course of fire, on site, a month early?

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice, i have one goodie I ordered almost a year ago, but I will miss the meet on the 6th by a week or two.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I would like more details on the carbine portion of the competition. Like is 223 mandatory? does it just have to be semi auto? etc. Also how far in advance will we get the course of fire, on site, a month early?</span>

CJG </div></div>I asked basically the same question on WCT this morning. If I get a response there before I see anything here, I'll post it here.

Thanks. I have never done a competition before, Im wondering if an ar15 with a eotech would be optimal? That would suffice for work on steal inside of a 100yds, but he was mentioning targets out to 500 and for work like that, I would rather something along the lines of an ar10 with some glass. I have most most any piece of gear, just need to know what we are doing so i can get some practice with the right gun.

CJG

Yeah, out to 500 I'm trying to decide between my 3 gun AR with heavy bullets, or a DPMS 6.5 Creedmoor rifle, which would be massive overkill, but possibly a lot of fun.

Ya Im with you along those same lines. AR is defenitely a solid platform to try and use. My Larue is a 16" and if i remember right your AR was too, I was drilling steal out to 200-300 or so no problem, 4-500 starts to really stretch it with light bullets and sub moa sized steal. I havent shot any of the heavier bullets yet. So far the 52gr black hills stuff has shot awesome. I did just buy some 69gr projos, I will probably load those up and try them out on the 6th, those might be a winner. Then i just need to decide what optic is best.

CJG

My partner for JTP's match is going to be out chasing pirates or something on that date
wink.gif
... We should see who is into shooting the Findlay, and who has what... in terms of both equipment and strong suits between us.... see if we can't come up with some teams on the 6th, for those that are interested......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya Im with you along those same lines. AR is defenitely a solid platform to try and use. My Larue is a 16" and if i remember right your AR was too, I was drilling steal out to 200-300 or so no problem, 4-500 starts to really stretch it with light bullets and sub moa sized steal. I havent shot any of the heavier bullets yet. So far the 52gr black hills stuff has shot awesome. I did just buy some 69gr projos, I will probably load those up and try them out on the 6th, those might be a winner. Then i just need to decide what optic is best.

CJG </div></div>

I actually built another AR for 3 gun use. I'm running a 18" SPR barrel on the new one, and my TR20 Accupoint should be here today.

I like the looks of that scope, which reticle did you get?

Tribe: I think your right, we should try and organize this out and put some people together, Im thinking though that with this group most are going to want to use the long rifle. I wonder if people have friends or something that are good with carbine? We will hash it all out im sure.

CJG

With out getting too detailed and building your carbine for you, all the information as to what you would need/ want for the carbine is already there.
Rapid firing, quick mag change ability, accurate enough to hit steel at 500 yards, with non steel or bi metal bullets.
If you can hit a 1 1/2 to 2 MOA target at 500 with the irons or optics you have then you are good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim the Plumber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With out getting too detailed and building your carbine for you, all the information as to what you would need/ want for the carbine is already there.
Rapid firing, quick mag change ability, accurate enough to hit steel at 500 yards, with non steel or bi metal bullets.
If you can hit a 1 1/2 to 2 MOA target at 500 with the irons or optics you have then you are good to go. </div></div>

Is the carbine going to be more geared to rapid firing at the closer ranges, or have some rapid close stuff, and more stuff out at 500? I understand if you don't wanna give too much away, but I'll take any extra hints I can get.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">I like the looks of that scope, which reticle did you get?</span>

Tribe: I think your right, we should try and organize this out and put some people together, Im thinking though that with this group most are going to want to use the long rifle. I wonder if people have friends or something that are good with carbine? We will hash it all out im sure.

CJG </div></div>

I got the mil-dot reticle with amber illumination. I really didn't care which color the illumination was, and Brownells only has the amber with the mil dots, and I used my discount + the 10% shotshow discount to get it for a great price. I wasn't gonna be too picky.
smile.gif

As far as the illumination goes, it's basically just the part of the reticle where the crosshairs cross, it's a tiny pinprick of light. Honestly, I don't think it would be any better or worse if it didn't have the illumination.

Getting itchy!!

Gonna clean up some obsticals at work this week for barriers to shoot off of. Might need some of your truck box Blackwidow, as mine will be mostly full of steel and hangers with some firewood...if not no big deal I can bring a trailer if need be.

So Friday the 5th...it is Myself, Bigwheels, Blackwidow and Rototuner?

FYI:
Little more info from Jim over on WCT re: Wenatchee match:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Team mates will act as spotters.
You can bring as much gear as you want, however there will be vertually no set up time and you will have to walk the course with what evrer you bring on your back. On most of the course, the time it would take to deploy a spotting scope will have you out of shooting time.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blackwidow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tool box or the bed of my truck joe? tool box is little bit full but i can help out with the truck bed </div></div>

The bed itself...barrels and maybe some plywood, and some 5 gallon and 1 gallon jugs of water.

ya sounds good. i think i still have one of the gallon jugs from last time still filled with water cause tribe kept missing it...
this outing will kinda be testing for me to see how the bc are working might change bullets not sure yet. haveing some one do some testing for me to see if the new bullet will stablize with my twist. we figure on a time yet joe? you want me to meet at your house?

I would absolutely love to be there and meet more members. Don't think I'd fare very well in the shooting part, but that's not to say that I don't think it wouldn't be a good time though. Unfortunately I'll be in the middle of a two week Mid shift rotation. Economics on my end mean I can't pass up the night differential. I'll keep my eyes open for another opportunity when I'm on a Day rotation and see if I can take some time off for it.

Have a blast guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim the Plumber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all. I need feed back as soon as possible.
I am thinking of changing the Wenatchee- Findlay cup match date to 3-27-10 so we can shoot the private land, much much better match layout there.
Let me know your thought on the possible date change.
Thanks
Jim</div></div>
In
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hi all. I need feed back as soon as possible.
I am thinking of changing the Wenatchee- Findlay cup match date to 3-27-10 so we can shoot the private land, much much better match layout there.
Thanks
Jim
</div></div>

In!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim the Plumber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all. I need feed back as soon as possible.
Thanks
Jim </div></div>

In.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am out as well so please don't count me.

Love to go just don't have the drive to run the carbines really...I like the boomies!</div></div>

Well then all you have to do is find a partner to shoot the carbine and you can shoot the precision rifle. Problem solved...:)