• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Member Link Up SHWW Group

Re: SHWW Group

BTW,
Last time I was out with you guys I was really confused at all of the extra windage I had to come with for the 900 and 1150 yard target. I figured out what the problem was.
it looks like my scope was cocked crooked along a 1 o'clock to 7 o'clock axis so when I put on all that elavtion it was taking me over to the right hence the neccesity of cranking on a bunch of left windage

rem 700 SA needed

Guys I live in SW WA and I am in need of a Rem 700 action...308 bolt face. Complete action, stripped action...no bolt, no bottom metal etc anything will work.

Would also consider a barreled action or complete rifle either a cheapy with through away parts or decent rig to build on like an R5 or PSS.

Thanks-Derek

Thanks for the info tribe, last time I tried to order one they were out. I did a cheap mans fix on the ar-10.

I went to the range and made sure the benck was level, then I put a smal level on the top of the reciever, when It was level i aimed at a homemade plumb bob using a thick line and a water bottle. I pinned the cord to the back stop after it was leveled out and then I aligned the crosshairs with it. I think that should work.

yes /no?

Last night I loaded up my first batch of 260 rounds. I was using rem brass and hornady 140 grain amax. I loaded 10 rounds each of rl 17 at 39, 39.5, 40, 40.5, 41, 41.5 grains. I am not sure when I will get out to start testing and doing my barrel breakin

Straight's, straight... don't much matter how it got that way
wink.gif

FWIW, and if you haven't already.... check out the reloading section, there are some threads on there called "Handloading for Long Range" - In 4 "Powdering it", he's got a cool ladder method, that I just used with great success.... and relatively few rounds down range.... worth the read.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAFAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW,
Last time I was out with you guys I was really confused at all of the extra windage I had to come with for the 900 and 1150 yard target. I figured out what the problem was.
it looks like my scope was cocked crooked along a 1 o'clock to 7 o'clock axis so when I put on all that elavtion it was taking me over to the right hence the neccesity of cranking on a bunch of left windage</div></div>

Another thing to consider -- at those ranges, at least for my .308, there is approximately .4 mils of spin-drift to the right. I had not realized that it was that much until I bothered to plug in the spin drift stuff into Load Base.

Joe-budget is open.......depends what it is. Right now I got a couple PM's from fellow WA bros........one has a stripped action and the other a complete very low round stock R5. Just deciding which way to go......may get both as I have 2 rifles I plan on building and with the R5 I may keep the factory barrel for awhile.

Derek

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAFAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last night I loaded up my first batch of 260 rounds. I was using rem brass and hornady 140 grain amax. I loaded 10 rounds each of rl 17 at 39, 39.5, 40, 40.5, 41, 41.5 grains. I am not sure when I will get out to start testing and doing my barrel breakin</div></div>

Which powder are you using? Hopefully my .260 bolt gun is ready soon, and I'll have to start doing some load development.

Well. I think I'll wait to shoot it after everyone else has had thier turn. Even if the plate can hold up to a 300WM, I wonder about the hinge? So, I'll be nice.
Hoping to show for the 5/1 shoot out there. Will have Tibor along with me too.(the partner)

As a note to those coming west tomarrow, please dont expect to be impressed. There will be challanging shots available out to 950 yards from field positions, UKD targets, flat from a bench out to 400 yards and multiple areas to shoot from, at certian areas there will be room for 2 or 3 shooters. I have no problem waiting to shoot, but it will not be like the Sol Duc spot with a firing line of 15.

We can change plans and hit the Sol Duc if people just want a single position with multiple targets....that can be decided at Albertons at 9AM.

Im not going to be up there, but the 950 yd shot epecially. There may only be room for one shooter at a time to shoot, prone and while doing so, no one can shoot the 800. There is a lot that can be done there from 50-400 yds but youll have to take turns on anything longer.

Are you guys interested in putting together a phone list. The reason I ask is just in case this site ever gets shut down.
What I was thinking was this; everyone that would like to participate send an email to
MOAlimited@comcast .net

I will put together a spreadsheet and send it back to everyone that sent me info if figure we would want
real name(at least the first name) screen name. email adx, cell or home number and the city you live in.
what do you guys think?

Well...... that was wet
eek.gif

Thanks for hosting again DSM.... Good to see some of the SHWW guys, and crew...

Although not ideal shooting conditions, days like that can learn-ya' a whole lot about shortcomings/preparation of gear & equipment.... I will be picking up a man-size tarp, and a few stakes for example!
laugh.gif

More importantly, I confirmed that moisture & fringe-level loads do not mix. I think, to a man, everyone saw signs of increased pressure, do to the general wetness, and the inevitable moisture in the chamber.... some more than others!
crazy.gif
About half a dozen or more blown + leaking primers later, out of a total of 35 rounds fired (I threw away about 15 cases last night... likely more to come next priming session).... I decided to call it quits.

Conclusion - although I had found a "top end" load, that was giving no, or very mild pressure signs, if any, under <span style="text-decoration: underline">IDEAL</span> conditions; the introduction of the Great Wet, quickly made my borderline load, essentially unusable. It seemed that the guys with milder loads for their caliber, were having fewer issues... So, pulled 100 bullets last night, built a new ladder, and am heading to the range, to select a node in the middle of my spectrum.... rather than, as close to (or above) the top as possible. A lesson re-re-re-re-re-re-learned (I'm slow)... If you want the thing to shoot faster & flatter than it's designed.... pick another cartridge. Pushing them to the edge will ultimately provide for nothing but problems in the field..... but man, that was a HAMMER load........... maybe it will work on the next one....
whistle.gif

Bigs, they chrony'd at 2990, but the real world dope, using Litz's BC .633, did not match until I input them at 3080! My chrony typically errors on the low side.... so somewhere in the middle...

The new money load.... 2900 (per chrony - will likely go up with dope at range), and THREE POINT FIVE grains lighter....
eek.gif
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bigs, they chrony'd at 2990, but the real world dope, using Litz's BC .633, did not match until I input them at 3080! My chrony typically errors on the low side.... so somewhere in the middle...

The new money load.... 2900 (per chrony - will likely go up with dope at range), and THREE POINT FIVE grains lighter....
eek.gif
whistle.gif
</div></div>

3.5 gr of charge weight? Damn I guess thats the reason you went with the other node
eek.gif

Thats a pretty fast barrel you got there. Next time you come up my way we can break out my 2 crony's, & varify it.
Tibor, & I dod some dope confirm on his 6.5/284 @ 800/900, & 1050 today, & ran a single target, 4 rnds each under tme. Don't know if it's good, but did it all inc. setting up, ranging & both fire strings in 4min 11sec. We'll work on getting faster.

For those concerned about rain!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Camouflage-Sleeping-Bag-Cover-Waterproof/dp/B002YB3TMO

This is very similar to my green "mat"....it is very waterproof and fairly heavy so it won't blow away as easily. I am invisioning a system that can be buclked to the shooters shoulders and become a "human tarp" and in the dry can be used as sunshade.....patent pending
wink.gif

However this was the only place I could find one similar.....I would buy another one myself if somebody wants to get all three and split shipping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yyyyyyyyuuup.... theres likely another one in-between.... but my brain hurts. </div></div>

btw, how do you like that AI stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotta love stick welders the welds look like shit but they'll hold forever. </div></div>

That was wire fed...
blush.gif

I have no squables about it though...using 040 flux cored wire to weld 1/4" plate to 3/32 plate is pretty much going to look like shit. I can weld just never said it was pretty!!