• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tikka T1X

Does anyone have rear bag recommendations for the Tikka in a KRG Bravo? The traditional Caldwell I've been using is not that great.

I have a whole bunch of rear bags and the ones I find I use the most are the two cheap ones I have from Midway. I bought three. One large cylinder shape, one small cylinder shape and one rectangle. I believe they were between $8 Andrew $15 each. The smaller cylinder is my favorite and the large cylinder is my sons favorite. They are well constructed and have nice Velcro handles that come on pretty handy. I should also add that I use an old sock filled with rice just as much as those bags though. The good old sock with rice or filled with airsoft beads works just as well or better than any of the commercial bags I have used.

Last edited:
Reactions: Just Chuck and 013
Happy face bag works good too. Just a sock with rice.

0323191333.jpg

Got my T1x for Fathers Day. Today was my first day shooting it. Ran 100 rounds through it suppressed with my sparrow. Indoor range, 25 yards. I’m hooked. 10 shot group. Can’t wait till I can really spend some time with it and dial it in properly at 100

Attachments

• 6CF1D6D3-1E4B-41FC-BB70-9E9BA9B20E98.jpeg
    6CF1D6D3-1E4B-41FC-BB70-9E9BA9B20E98.jpeg
    450.4 KB · Views: 77
I did my first NRL22 competition today. I did a practice match previously, but this was my first official NRL22, and I finished 3 out of 7. Not that great, but a lot of learnings! Had issues where parallax wasn't set correctly, I set it in some general area where 50/75/100 would be in focus and I was alternating strong and weak side, so I was missing right on a stage on my weak side since I haven't ever practiced that very well. And then I'm also just bad at standing shooting... need to practice that. All the prone stages (not weak side) I did fine. Learned to basically do everything with holdovers. zero at 25, aim a teensy high at 50. 1mil at 75, and 2mil at 100.

All the stages I didn't feel using cheaper ammo hindered me. The targets were never small enough. 1/4" @ 25 I made every hit.
We did do one stage using the NRL22 scoring ring, which maybe having a tighter shooting ammo would've helped. I need to find an ammo with the same BC/Velocity just lower quality. I am thinking maybe Eley Club and Eley Match would be my pairing combo. SK+ and SK RM would be another pairing combo, but RM never shot well out of my rifle.

I then came home and printed out a NRL22 practice guide. I am pretty sure I know what I need to work on... though oops, now that I'm reading it, that top right target was supposed to be on a barricade. I did unsupported standing/kneeling, it was really hard... I did standing/kneeling barricade for the bottom set of squares though, that one I don't have a problem with.

1565495097130.png

I did my first NRL22 competition today. I did a practice match previously, but this was my first official NRL22, and I finished 3 out of 7. Not that great, but a lot of learnings! Had issues where parallax wasn't set correctly, I set it in some general area where 50/75/100 would be in focus and I was alternating strong and weak side, so I was missing right on a stage on my weak side since I haven't ever practiced that very well. And then I'm also just bad at standing shooting... need to practice that. All the prone stages (not weak side) I did fine. Learned to basically do everything with holdovers. zero at 25, aim a teensy high at 50. 1mil at 75, and 2mil at 100.

All the stages I didn't feel using cheaper ammo hindered me. The targets were never small enough. 1/4" @ 25 I made every hit.
We did do one stage using the NRL22 scoring ring, which maybe having a tighter shooting ammo would've helped. I need to find an ammo with the same BC/Velocity just lower quality. I am thinking maybe Eley Club and Eley Match would be my pairing combo. SK+ and SK RM would be another pairing combo, but RM never shot well out of my rifle.

I then came home and printed out a NRL22 practice guide. I am pretty sure I know what I need to work on... though oops, now that I'm reading it, that top right target was supposed to be on a barricade. I did unsupported standing/kneeling, it was really hard... I did standing/kneeling barricade for the bottom set of squares though, that one I don't have a problem with.

View attachment 7127860
Good job! What ammo are you shooting? I love the nrl22 matches every month.

Good job! What ammo are you shooting? I love the nrl22 matches every month.

I'm shooting Eley Target. It performs more or less the same as SK+ for me, but I couldn't stand all that oily feeling when loading SK ammo and need to remember to bring a rag with me to wipe my fingers. In terms of prone 100 yards. Eley Target/SK+ gets me around 1" @ 100 yards. Eley Tenex gets me around .7" Though for NRL22, the targets are always 1.5-2" at 100 yards so I don't really need to shoot anything expensive.

Reactions: 013
I'm shooting Eley Target. It performs more or less the same as SK+ for me, but I couldn't stand all that oily feeling when loading SK ammo and need to remember to bring a rag with me to wipe my fingers. In terms of prone 100 yards. Eley Target/SK+ gets me around 1" @ 100 yards. Eley Tenex gets me around .7" Though for NRL22, the targets are always 1.5-2" at 100 yards so I don't really need to shoot anything expensive.
All good, I was just curious. I shoot sk rifle match. I've never tried the eley. The bullet lube doesn't bother me though. Good shooting!!

All good, I was just curious. I shoot sk rifle match. I've never tried the eley. The bullet lube doesn't bother me though. Good shooting!!

I know a lot of people who shoot SK Rifle Match, I maybe should give it another shot. I ordered a brick of SK Long Range Match, and it is shooting horrible through my rifle, worse than SK+. I haven't tried enough boxes of SK Rifle Match though, I should give it another try.

First, thanks go out to everyone for the great T1X info in this thread.

Really considered the CZ 475 AT-ONE or the MTR Varmint over the T1X in the beginning. Locally the CZ’s are pretty rare though. Found a 17 HMR version of the AT-ONE and I really wasn’t impressed with the feel. Seemed to be quite a bit more of my own work (and parts) to get it up to the Tikka stock level.

Ultimately I picked up my T1X from Scheels in Johnstown, CO this past Friday (they had multiple in stock). Intent is to have the first version of my trainer rifle build complete for next Sundsy’s range day. Bravo chassis will need to wait a bit though.

For the first version of the rifle, I ordered the vertical grip, wide fore end, 3 mags and the T3X butt pad from Beretta. Paid the extra shipping to have everything delivered this coming Tuesday. Found the 419 15 MOA rail on Amazon - should be here Tuesday too.

Installed and epoxied in the fore end picatinny rail yesterday, then mounted my spare Larue Harris bipod and removed the plastic bedding block so now the barrel is fully free floated. I have a spare Vortex PST G2 5x25 FFP for the rifle, though with the long sunshade, it looks a bit goofy - we’ll see if it stays.

Also dropped the trigger pull weight down to ~1/4 turn above the bottom of the travel as it has a bit better feel. Trigger spring replacement will follow, but my best guess is that it is about ~2 pounds or so.

Unsure about which bolt handle to go with, so I’ll leave it stock for now. Does anyone know if the T3X bolt knob is a direct replacement on the T1X? I’ve read through this complete thread and haven’t seen anyone comment directly on that topic.

Like everyone else, I too look for a heavier barrel and am very curious about the 10/22 barrel usage. Hopefully there’ll be a manufacturer that will build them for us.

I’ll post a pic after all the parts are installed. More to come after I shoot it next Sunday.

Cheers,

John

Reactions: 013 and Jefe's Dope
First, thanks go out to everyone for the great T1X info in this thread.

Really considered the CZ 475 AT-ONE or the MTR Varmint over the T1X in the beginning. Locally the CZ’s are pretty rare though. Found a 17 HMR version of the AT-ONE and I really wasn’t impressed with the feel. Seemed to be quite a bit more of my own work (and parts) to get it up to the Tikka stock level.

Ultimately I picked up my T1X from Scheels in Johnstown, CO this past Friday (they had multiple in stock). Intent is to have the first version of my trainer rifle build complete for next Sundsy’s range day. Bravo chassis will need to wait a bit though.

For the first version of the rifle, I ordered the vertical grip, wide fore end, 3 mags and the T3X butt pad from Beretta. Paid the extra shipping to have everything delivered this coming Tuesday. Found the 419 15 MOA rail on Amazon - should be here Tuesday too.

Installed and epoxied in the fore end picatinny rail yesterday, then mounted my spare Larue Harris bipod and removed the plastic bedding block so now the barrel is fully free floated. I have a spare Vortex PST G2 5x25 FFP for the rifle, though with the long sunshade, it looks a bit goofy - we’ll see if it stays.

Also dropped the trigger pull weight down to ~1/4 turn above the bottom of the travel as it has a bit better feel. Trigger spring replacement will follow, but my best guess is that it is about ~2 pounds or so.

Unsure about which bolt handle to go with, so I’ll leave it stock for now. Does anyone know if the T3X bolt knob is a direct replacement on the T1X? I’ve read through this complete thread and haven’t seen anyone comment directly on that topic.

Like everyone else, I too look for a heavier barrel and am very curious about the 10/22 barrel usage. Hopefully there’ll be a manufacturer that will build them for us.

I’ll post a pic after all the parts are installed. More to come after I shoot it next Sunday.

Cheers,

John
That's awesome! The T3 and T1 bolt handles are not interchangeable.

Looks like eurooptic has them back in stock.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T1x-22-LR-20-1-11-Rifle-JRT1X300.aspx

Although right now I’m not happy with them. They oversold me on the Sterk handle, and I also tried to get an RMA (following their return procedures which they pointed me to via chat) for a Harris Bipod. I wanted to exchange it for an Atlas instead, but never got the RMA email from them. In the end I decided to just keep the Harris and get a Pod-Loc for it, but not sure how I feel about them for future purchases.

Last edited:
Shot another match yesterday. Used Center X and was much more efficient. Although I was beginning to get the 'stove pipe' round running the bolt. It cost me time. I did seem to "figure it out" by slowing down my bolt throw. Not sure what causes it exactly. It seems that so far, only the Center X does it and it's possible the feed lips are just a few thousandths too wide. Although my "mag failure" skills have improved greatly.

My buddy came along and I let him use my MP15-22. He was doing poorly. Probably because of ammo selection and possibly a broken scope. He switched to the winner's rifle and then mine and improved immensely.

Yeh it's so interesting what ammo works and not works. Using Eley Tenex with the flat nosed tip, I get probably 1 FTE / 20 rounds where the casing spins and is stuck in the chamber. Luckily I've only shot this practicing groups, not in a match.

I shot through rotating magazines of Eley Target yesterday, another 100 rounds, and 0 FTE/FTF so that's good. My match went really smooth and my bolt cycling feels wonderful. A few vudoo people were interested in the T1X. One thing to note with using a lot of Eley ammo is that waxy coating builds up in the action. Hasn't affected anything that I can tell shooting, but I do need to clean it up.

@jharms80439 the T1X and T3X use entirely different bolt handles. They're connected very differently. Sterk makes a swept back handle for both the T3X and the T1X so you can get the same ergo across both rifles. I bought both of them for my rifles and absolutely love them.

@rwatson708 attached the pdf for the practice.

Attachments

• 25-50 Rimfire Precision Practice Target.pdf
    88.3 KB · Views: 146
Yeh it's so interesting what ammo works and not works. Using Eley Tenex with the flat nosed tip, I get probably 1 FTE / 20 rounds where the casing spins and is stuck in the chamber. Luckily I've only shot this practicing groups, not in a match.

I shot through rotating magazines of Eley Target yesterday, another 100 rounds, and 0 FTE/FTF so that's good. My match went really smooth and my bolt cycling feels wonderful. A few vudoo people were interested in the T1X. One thing to note with using a lot of Eley ammo is that waxy coating builds up in the action. Hasn't affected anything that I can tell shooting, but I do need to clean it up.

@jharms80439 the T1X and T3X use entirely different bolt handles. They're connected very differently. Sterk makes a swept back handle for both the T3X and the T1X so you can get the same ergo across both rifles. I bought both of them for my rifles and absolutely love them.

Thanks for the targets

Yeah it’s unreal how many FTF I’ve had with SK Standard +. Mine is headed to Beretta with all 6 mags to see if they can figure it out.

I did notice that I had more FTF with the BA in the KRG Bravo torqued at 65in lbs. when at a lower torque and in the Factory stock I had very few FTF.

We will see what they say

Reactions: Alex266
I had very few issues when breaking in my rifle. I spent one afternoon and put 500rds through it of CCI SV and cheap Federal. Very few issues there. This was all done in the KRG Bravo.

The majority of my issues are with SK + as this is what I have about 3k rounds of and it shoots well out of my CZ455. Also, the 455 has not had a single feeding issue now matter the ammo or how dirty.

I dig the accuracy of my T1X but I don’t want to own a rifle that can’t feed what I want to feed it.

Reactions: ZCOklahoma
I had very few issues when breaking in my rifle. I spent one afternoon and put 500rds through it of CCI SV and cheap Federal. Very few issues there. This was all done in the KRG Bravo.

The majority of my issues are with SK + as this is what I have about 3k rounds of and it shoots well out of my CZ455. Also, the 455 has not had a single feeding issue now matter the ammo or how dirty.

I dig the accuracy of my T1X but I don’t want to own a rifle that can’t feed what I want to feed it.

My 10/22 custom match won't hand extract rounds from CCI SV. Apparently it's normal that tight match barrels can have issues with certain brands of ammo and different sized rimfire casings. VQ on their site talks about this with certain match barrels and possible issues. Now that's around the 10/22 bolt, maybe doesn't pertain at all with bolt actions.

I do wish that the Tikka T1X would work with anything, but if I could just find a good paired ammo, I wouldn't mind buying 10,000 rounds of that and only ever shooting that out of it to get the desired results.

Luckily the only issue I have so far is with the Tenex, everything else seems to have broken in pretty well. I see a lot of other people with other issues and that would be super frustrating. Frustration / time has a cost. Time is pretty valuable for me. For some people, if the Vudoo for $1800 is guaranteed and tested with to work with everything and shoot 1/2 moa at 100 yards, the time of not having to test a million things and have issues, probably matches up to $1800 vs $500.

The main reason I went with the T1X over the 457 is because of my T3 being in a KRG being in a Bravo.

We will see what they tell me but I’m not confident in Beretta’s customer service. It should be delivered tomorrow to Beretta.

My T1X and mags have been at Beretta about a week now - they estimate 3-6 weeks for their service to go through it.

Met a guy at a match yesterday having the same feed problems with his T1X and he said he just dumps the mag and puts another in and continues to pew pew pew. He was using Center X ammo - so no quality issues there.

In the mean time I'm back to my 10/22 that I shot yesterday. I has the Green Mountain heavy barrel, Kidd bolt, charge handle, and a Magpul stock to show up tomorrow that will be going on it. The Green Mountain barrel will not always extract live rounds - they checked and said the tolerances are tight and where they should be. It does shoot really well.

My T1X and mags have been at Beretta about a week now - they estimate 3-6 weeks for their service to go through it.

Met a guy at a match yesterday having the same feed problems with his T1X and he said he just dumps the mag and puts another in and continues to pew pew pew. He was using Center X ammo - so no quality issues there.

In the mean time I'm back to my 10/22 that I shot yesterday. I has the Green Mountain heavy barrel, Kidd bolt, charge handle, and a Magpul stock to show up tomorrow that will be going on it. The Green Mountain barrel will not always extract live rounds - they checked and said the tolerances are tight and where they should be. It does shoot really well.

Pretty sure that was me. ?

Reactions: Just Chuck
[/QUOTE]

Terrific target - that'll be one I will definitely be using in the future!

Attached is a target that I made and have been using for a warm-up ( - 1 round per square. 1x 6 round mag, 3x 5 round mags. I start with the cold bore shot, then go down, next mag is up from the bottom in the second column, then down in the third, then up in the fourth - 21 rounds total.

For now, I've been practicing prone, but guess it could be done Prone, Standing, Kneeling, Sitting too. For me, it helps me with mag changes and it helps me practice transitioning between up and down targets (or right and left targets).

In this version 2, I added both light and wind boxes and the Laser'd Distance. That gets me used to using my tools consistently - which has been lacking in the past.

Good stuff!

John

Attachments

• 25-50 Yard Rimfire.pdf
    19.5 KB · Views: 100
I watched some tutorials on prone and trying a new position where I'm resting the rifle more center with my body, so more on my collar bone, which raises the rifle, and makes the neck not crane / bend over the cheek rest as much. It felt good, and went out and did a few more 6x5's. 3 6x5's, 1 with Tenex, SK+, and LRM. 100 yards.

SK+ left, LRM right. Bottom left group was 10 rounds. Must have had a good string of SK+ bullets! I think it's time to order a brick of Rifle Match and give it a go...

1565630076735.png

I ran tenex unsuppressed, should've just suppressed it, and it was my first set of rounds practicing my new prone positioning. I can tighten these up. Bottom right group was 4 shots in nearly the same hole. I'm really good at screwing up my groups :)

1565630231103.png

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
That's awesome! The T3 and T1 bolt handles are not interchangeable.

Good to know!

I ordered my T1X bolt handle this weekend from DIP, Inc. Had an issue with billing v. shipping address via their website, so I left my shipping address in the comments. Received the updated invoice from them this morning. Looks like I'll have the bolt handle in hand for this Sunday's shoot!

Great service & communication from DIP too!

John

Reactions: littlepod
Good to know!

I ordered my T1X bolt handle this weekend from DIP, Inc. Had an issue with billing v. shipping address via their website, so I left my shipping address in the comments. Received the updated invoice from them this morning. Looks like I'll have the bolt handle in hand for this Sunday's shoot!

Great service & communication from DIP too!

John
I got my scope rail from DIP, I had a great experience with them as well. I'm close to getting a sterk handle for mine......

Reactions: littlepod
I got my scope rail from DIP, I had a great experience with them as well. I'm close to getting a sterk handle for mine......

Same my rail is from DIP. Bolt from Sterk. I really like the swept back handle a whole lot.

For aesthetics, I'd really love like a 16.5 bull barrel instead of the skinny tikka barrel. Whenever they make a $300 ish prefit for it, I'd be all on that.

Reactions: cannoncrossfire
I have no complaints with the barrel. It plain shoots! It's the voodoo killer?

That is true. If I can consistently do 1" at 100 yards, there's nothing else I can really ask for. NRL22 won't require more than like 1.5 moa @ 100 yards. The short throw angle is fantastic, Vudoo is like 90 degrees? Tikka is 60 degrees? And the swept back handle makes the ergos even better. Though a bull barrel will weight it down a bit more, and feel more like a centerfire trainer.

Okay guys, here is the deal. I talked to Carson at Lillja today about a group buy for Tikka T1x barrels. It looks like we will need a total of at least 20 with a per unit cost of $375 shipped. This is for a 16”-20” .90 straight barrel. I’m guessing there is some flexibility on the size. The way it would work is I will set up the group buy and we will each call him directly and purchase the barrels. Once he has the whole groups orders they will cut them and ship them out. I will go down to the group buy section and talk to the mods about the process of posting this once it looks like we have enough interest. My request was for 22LR but I’m guessing they could probably work 17hmr in there also but I’m not positive. If you are interested let me know. Once it looks like we have enough interest I will call and make it official and we can all start calling and placing our official orders with specs. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them or get an answer from Lillja for you.

Okay guys, here is the deal. I talked to Carson at Lillja today about a group buy for Tikka T1x barrels. It looks like we will need a total of at least 20 with a per unit cost of $375 shipped. This is for a 16”-20” .90 straight barrel. I’m guessing there is some flexibility on the size. The way it would work is I will set up the group buy and we will each call him directly and purchase the barrels. Once he has the whole groups orders they will cut them and ship them out. I will go down to the group buy section and talk to the mods about the process of posting this once it looks like we have enough interest. My request was for 22LR but I’m guessing they could probably work 17hmr in there also but I’m not positive. If you are interested let me know. Once it looks like we have enough interest I will call and make it official and we can all start calling and placing our official orders with specs. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them or get an answer from Lillja for you.

Super new at any sort of gunsmithing... how much work is it to put a new barrel on a T1X? if I bring it to a local gunsmith, how long / much do you think it'd cost? I know the local, local gunstores are pretty bad gunsmiths, so I'll need to look somewhere with someone competant...