• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tikka T1X

The barrel swap should be pretty simple to handle yourself. If you do want to have a gunsmith swap it out I can’t see it being more than an hour of labor. Depending on your area it should be less than $100 but I’m pretty confident you can do it yourself. If you do a YouTube search for switching a CZ 455 barrel I believe the process should be about the same. I don’t have a CZ so I’m guessing.

I don’t have a CZ but from what I have heard Lillja is the standard by which all other rimfire barrels are judged. Based on what I have seen from other Lillja barrels it would be an upgrade and should shoot about the same as a Vudoo. If I’m not able to get a group buy together I’m just going to order a blank from Lillja or Bartlein and get my gunsmith to fit and thread the barrel for me. It will just cost me twice as much.

Reactions: themightytimmah
Boltman,

I expect to know this Sunday whether mine's a shooter or not - from what I've heard, I expect it to do well.

Frankly, the stock barrel "looks" okay, but I wish the rifle had a bit more weight/heft to it - especially for positional shooting. Personally I'd like to get it in (about) the same weight range as my 308. I expect my future KRG Bravo will add some heft, but it still may be on the light side as my 308 trainer/duplicate. Ultimately, I may end up following @johnkmcguire97's lead with a 10/22 barrel or if @Eoddave27's Lillja option comes through, I'm in - hopefully they'll add a threaded option though without much of an up charge.

Lillja quality is exemplary - and you pay for that quality - but in this case it's pretty reasonable. I figure that a quality 18" stainless threaded bull 10/22 barrel is ~$160-$225 - depending on the maker/blank. I would think that it'd only be a couple of hours of gunsmith shop time to make the machining cuts, so at my gunsmith's shop rate of $75/hour, that'l add another $150 - and I can install the barrel.

If one has or can find a quality 10/22 barrel at a reasonable price, my thinking is that the max savings of a 10/22 barrel to @Eoddave27's group Lillja buy is ~$100. IMHO, the Lillja will also add a bit of value should one ever want to sell their T1X, but for me the difference is really time. Fortunately (for me) Rob the owner of Parker Arms in Littleton (iso), CO is local to me and an awesome gunsmith so I have choices. If Rob has shop time available, he can have it in my hands in days - unsure about the time involved with the Lillja option.

That said, the Lillja option is a steal if it comes to fruition, I'm in for one! :)

John

P.S. I really need to get off of this forum and go shoot. Good thing my parts start arriving tomorrow and trickle in through Friday. Just in time for a full day at the range on Sunday. :)

I'm interested in the lillja barrel.

Alway assumed I'd be upgrading the barrel knowing the factory barrel would do well until I found the proper option and this seems to be it.

I'm mostly interested in seeing if it's me, the barrel, or the ammo that seems to cause a flyer or two/10 round groups. I'm REALLY satisfied for a $435 barreled action that can be shot until you save up enough for the chassis you want. It's a 100% winner out of the box and even more so considering the already available upgrades. I need to try a Voodoo to see how far behind the Tikka is by comparison. I DO prefer the Voodoo mags due to being the same physical size as most of the current center fire options. The Tikka's feel like they're for a child's hands.

I'm interested in the lillja barrel.

Alway assumed I'd be upgrading the barrel knowing the factory barrel would do well until I found the proper option and this seems to be it.

I'm mostly interested in seeing if it's me, the barrel, or the ammo that seems to cause a flyer or two/10 round groups. I'm REALLY satisfied for a $435 barreled action that can be shot until you save up enough for the chassis you want. It's a 100% winner out of the box and even more so considering the already available upgrades. I need to try a Voodoo to see how far behind the Tikka is by comparison. I DO prefer the Voodoo mags due to being the same physical size as most of the current center fire options. The Tikka's feel like they're for a child's hands.
The voodoo is great until you lift the bolt.....I think it's way to high, I'm not used to it I guess

I’m defiantly spoiled by the 60 degree bolt lift on the Tikka. I shot another rimfire the other day for a friend to zero his scope and it just felt wrong. I put one of the Sterk back swept bolt knobs on my rifle too and that makes it even nicer. Now I have to order one of the back swept bolt knobs for my T3 as well.

Mine is dialing in quite nicely even with CCI SV ... IMG_5020 (1).jpg

The CCI SV is great to 50. After that it really opens up and the chance of a "flyer" is a bit higher than more expensive ammo. That is a very nice group though and should be indicative of how well it shoots with the right ammo. Maybe you got lucky and CCI SV is that ammo. ?

Reactions: Just Chuck and 013
Mine is dialing in quite nicely even with CCI SV ... View attachment 7129011

Europa, you may have found one of the magic lots of CCI SV. If you got that locally I would go back and get all you can. About a year ago I got one of those magic lots. The stuff shot absolutely amazing. I was shooting .6” and .7” groups at 100 yards with a Savage MKii. Not only that it shot well out of every rifle I put it in. My sons RPR was even shooting sub MOA with it. I was absolutely sold on the CCI SV. When I finally ran out of that lot and bought more I was very disappointed. It didn’t even come close. It was very inconsistent from lot to lot. Now I stick with Wolk and SK for practice ammo and use some of the more expensive Eley for match ammo. It is just so more consistent from lot to lot. If you can get a bunch of that lot number though I would buy all you can get your hands on because it obviously shoots well in your rifle.

Reactions: littlepod
Europa, you may have found one of the magic lots of CCI SV. If you got that locally I would go back and get all you can. About a year ago I got one of those magic lots. The stuff shot absolutely amazing. I was shooting .6” and .7” groups at 100 yards with a Savage MKii. Not only that it shot well out of every rifle I put it in. My sons RPR was even shooting sub MOA with it. I was absolutely sold on the CCI SV. When I finally ran out of that lot and bought more I was very disappointed. It didn’t even come close. It was very inconsistent from lot to lot. Now I stick with Wolk and SK for practice ammo and use some of the more expensive Eley for match ammo. It is just so more consistent from lot to lot. If you can get a bunch of that lot number though I would buy all you can get your hands on because it obviously shoots well in your rifle.

Thanks, I'll check my lots and maybe tuck the good stuff away. Still have a bunch of SK, Eley and Lapua to test. I shall report back ?

Okay guys, here is the deal. I talked to Carson at Lillja today about a group buy for Tikka T1x barrels. It looks like we will need a total of at least 20 with a per unit cost of $375 shipped. This is for a 16”-20” .90 straight barrel. I’m guessing there is some flexibility on the size. The way it would work is I will set up the group buy and we will each call him directly and purchase the barrels. Once he has the whole groups orders they will cut them and ship them out. I will go down to the group buy section and talk to the mods about the process of posting this once it looks like we have enough interest. My request was for 22LR but I’m guessing they could probably work 17hmr in there also but I’m not positive. If you are interested let me know. Once it looks like we have enough interest I will call and make it official and we can all start calling and placing our official orders with specs. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them or get an answer from Lillja for you.
Id be in a for Lijjla barrel for my t1x

Okay guys, here is the deal. I talked to Carson at Lillja today about a group buy for Tikka T1x barrels. It looks like we will need a total of at least 20 with a per unit cost of $375 shipped. This is for a 16”-20” .90 straight barrel. I’m guessing there is some flexibility on the size. The way it would work is I will set up the group buy and we will each call him directly and purchase the barrels. Once he has the whole groups orders they will cut them and ship them out. I will go down to the group buy section and talk to the mods about the process of posting this once it looks like we have enough interest. My request was for 22LR but I’m guessing they could probably work 17hmr in there also but I’m not positive. If you are interested let me know. Once it looks like we have enough interest I will call and make it official and we can all start calling and placing our official orders with specs. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them or get an answer from Lillja for you.
I'm interested as well sir. Thank you for taking the time to actually get this going. Was there any mention on how much upcharge may be on threading?

I’ve been scrolling through page after page and I can’t find the posts where the 10/22 barrel was modified to work with the T1x. I just want to have a back up plan if we can’t get enough participation for the group buy with Lilja. Does anyone know what page that was on?

Yeah, and I was looking for it on a phone too ?. I’m am considering getting a Feddersen barrel and having it turned down if the Lilja buy doesn’t pan out. I wanted to forward what John did to my smith for him to see it. If the group buy doesn’t happen the Lilja barrel is significantly more than the Feddersen and I really don’t know if there is that much of a difference in accuracy. I put a Feddersen barrel on my sons 10/22 and that’s thing is a hammer. I guess I could give Feddersen a call too and see what they can do for us to. The cost would be significantly less. Probably closer to $180-200 each.

Does anyone know what the spec for torque is on the mounting bolt?

dgarnier,

Stated a couple of places in this thread as 30 in lb, so that's what I used after I mounted my pic rail to the stock and reinstalled the action in the stock. Someone here mentioned 60 in lb in a Bravo stock and if I remember right the accuracy degraded, so they went back to 30 in lb.

Since I just bought mine, I actually have the manual handy. Know that the manual covers all of their rifles - this was in the BARRELED RECEIVER SECTION that starts on P. 12 and is for "for all models except T3X TAC A1) I couldn't find a specific section for the T1X. The manual states 62 in lb (P. 13) for metallic trigger guard models and a max of 44 in lb for plastic trigger guard models.

Might be interesting to go above 30 in lb (to 44 in lb) to see if there is any change in accuracy (for better or worse). My torque wrench is already packed in my standard range bag and I'll have with me on Sunday and can check to see if there is any change between 30 in lb and 44 in lb.

Sunday's already packed with 3 rifles to work on - chrono'ing rounds in 3 rifles, adjusting the gas on a short bolt stroking AR-10 and sighting in three rifles, so I hope I remember to adjust the torque on the action bolts and report back here.

John

@Just Chuck,

The Green Mill shoot looks awesome! Is this an annual event that Green Mill puts on or is it more frequent?

FWIW, I'm no where near ready as my Tikka is still awaiting parts, the scope isn't mounted and I've yet to shoot for DOPE. Perhaps next year!

Not to pry, but are you shooting in the event? I'm thinking that I might head up this Saturday with a shooting bud just to watch for a bit!

FWIW, I'm a member of Buffalo Creek Gun Club up in Bailey (CO). This style of shoot would fit nicely inside of our 600 meter range for South Metro area people and is exactly what I'm ultimately looking to do with my Tikka!

John

@Just Chuck,

The Green Mill shoot looks awesome! Is this an annual event that Green Mill puts on or is it more frequent?

FWIW, I'm no where near ready as my Tikka is still awaiting parts, the scope isn't mounted and I've yet to shoot for DOPE. Perhaps next year!

Not to pry, but are you shooting in the event? I'm thinking that I might head up this Saturday with a shooting bud just to watch for a bit!

FWIW, I'm a member of Buffalo Creek Gun Club up in Bailey (CO). This style of shoot would fit nicely inside of our 600 meter range for South Metro area people and is exactly what I'm ultimately looking to do with my Tikka!

John

They've been having these on the 3rd Saturday through the spring and summer. They don't do these during hunter sight in - September - November and probably will restart in January-February. So this one will be the last for this year.

I'm going to shoot my 10/22 - my Tikka is at Beretta for service because of an in-feed jamming problem. Sure - come out and look it over if you have a chance.

I've shot a few of the F Class T/R matches at Buffalo Creek - beautiful setting to shoot in.

Based on what I am seeing the interest isn’t there to make a group buy with Lilja happen. I can easily get ten people but 20 will be a stretch. I guess I will just be ordering a barrel and getting my gunsmith to fit it for me. Now I just need to figure out exactly which barrel I want to buy.

• Sad
Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Similar to the Vudoo, what makes them soo great is their barrels. They are of excellent quality, machine fit to the action via threads, and they use excellent barrel blanks. Yes, a T1X can out shoot a Vudoo somewhat but the same shooter will perform better with the Vudoo with various brands of ammo.

I have first hand(kinda) experience with this as a buddy of mine has a Vudoo and we have tested the same lots of ammo with his Vudoo and my CZ455(not the Tikka but my 455 shoots just as well with the same lot of ammo).

I think what you will get with a custom fit premium barrel is that your groups will tighten somewhat but you Rifle will shoot better with various brands/lots of ammo.

Reactions: 013
Did you start a specific group buy thread? If so I missed it... I thought I'd just ACK in this one. If you made a new broader group buy thread that wasn't just nestled in the T1X mega thread you might get more interest!

Mainly I'm being selfish because I'd love to have a .85-.9" bull barrel for my T1X :) I'd like that Kukri barrel from the Vudoo for my T1X!

I'd just like to experiment with a different barrel to see how it compares to stock. Honestly, I'm GTG w/ the factory barrel but I like to tinker and that seemed like a nice fit.

I didn’t start anything in the group buy forum. I posted in this thread and put a post in the main rimfire forum. I had several people reply here and say they were interested. No one responded to the post in the rimfire forum. Total I have 8-10 people say they were interested. Without 20 Lilja isn’t interested so it looks like this is a no go right now. I contacted Feddersen also and so far I have no response at all from them. It looks like your only option may be to just go to a gunsmith and have something custom fitted. I was really hoping it would work out with Lilja but it sounds like most have no interest in a heavier barrel. Myself, I will be ordering a heavy barrel in the next few days for my gunsmith to fit for me.

@Eoddave27,

That's a real bummer that there wasn't enough interest here! Thanks for working on the project though.

Hopefully, they (or someone else) will see the market and offer barrels. I guess the good news is that the lack of response is due to Tikka's quality barrels.

As I put in the post somewhere up above, for me it's a weight thing - I want a bit more. If no else offers a Tikka T1X bull barrel, I'll have my local gunsmith build one up from a quality 10/22 bull or a quality blank.

Thanks again, Dave.

John

None of you will probably care about this but I finally got out to test the 17 HMR T1X. This is not a target rifle or a trainer. Just plinking and pest control.

Trijicon MRO on a DIP rail.
0BEB0B2D-1924-42F8-ADF1-E969C20C278F.jpeg

Fired these two groups at 50 yards for zeroing with federal TNT ammo The box said 2550fps, but these six shots averaged 2700 with 40 ES and 16 SD. Functions flawlessly, and I’m very happy with it.
36813C34-87A1-410B-BE19-C2EBB9F45693.jpeg

Last edited:
So most of the parts arrived yesterday. Slow day at the office today (I'm self employed with NO employees), so I installed them - really just missing the one flush cup with a nut for a hollow synthetic stock. It's in the mail, but not delivered yet.

Pic of the Tikka T1X 22LR trainer with her bigger sister a Remington 700 Tactical in a Manners MCS-2A clone.

4" sunshade is already a bit much - we'll see the usefulness at the range. Vortex Viper PST 3-15x50 on the Remington, Vortex Viper PST G2 5-25x50 (with the sunshade) on the Tikka (my thinking is that 22 holes are harder to see at 250 yards). :)

I'm already in the midst of building my JP Rifles JP-22 trainer as a sub for my AR-10 (Armalite AR3083GN13 in 308). Vortex PST 3-15x50 has been on my AR-10, along with a 45 degree Trijicon RMR. Thinking of an Athalon Midas Tac 6-24x50 for the JP-22 build. My gun budget is just about busted with the (3) recent rifle builds, hence the Athalon.

I know many bash the Vortex scopes. From my perspective (and budget) Vortex scopes are a steal and are MUCH better than anything I've ever owned previously. Don't know personally about the Athalon but on paper it appears almost a clone of my Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50.

Fun will be shooting them both this coming Sunday!

John

IMG_3974.jpg

Last edited: