• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

20 amp breaker tripped and wont reset.. yes not a shooting topic

mikeinfwa

Que Chimba
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2002
Jacksonville FL
Home im renting

A year ago the garage wall outlet with GFI was constantly tripping after rain or sprinklers. Property management sent electrician to fix.

Determined the outside outlet in rear exterior wall was not sealed properly and tripping the garage GFI (yes the exterior outlets were on same circuit as 2 garage outlets. And additionally the shower light/fan assembly in master bathroom because it shares wall with garage.)

electrician said he rewired the garage outlet circuit to a different breaker.

But now a year later the GFI on the garage outlet (on same circuit as shower fan) has been occasionally tripped and today the 20 amp breaker has tripped and won’t reset.

Any idea what the “WP” refers to on the breaker box?

Also, the lawn has a Sprinkler system
IMG_4728.jpeg

I know I shouldn't say this, but GFI outlets are garbage. I would replace it with a standard outlet as long as it's in a weatherproof box OR if it's inside the garage even that wouldn't matter.
HOWEVER, if you're renting probably better off legally to not touch any of it and let the landlord deal with it.
As for WP--no clue
ETA: weather proof---So obvious that I didn't think of it

Last edited:
Home im renting

A year ago the garage wall outlet with GFI was constantly tripping after rain or sprinklers. Property management sent electrician to fix.

Determined the outside outlet in rear exterior wall was not sealed properly and tripping the garage GFI (yes the exterior outlets were on same circuit as 2 garage outlets. And additionally the shower light/fan assembly in master bathroom because it shares wall with garage.)

But now a year later the GFI on the garage outlet (on same circuit as shower fan) has been occasionally tripped and today the 20 amp breaker has tripped and won’t reset.

View attachment 8468347
I’m no electrician either but I saw one on TV once.

It looks to me like the electrician may have mislead you. I read that as the garage and weatherproof outlets are on that circuit. There’s a short in one of them that must be properly repaired this time and the breaker should also be replaced.

My experience running facilities taught me not to scrimp on electrical repairs. Landlords notoriously do so to save money.

Probably weather proof.

Could be exterior outlet. If it was getting wet and not replaced there is probably corrosion that is causing this.

It's notorious for something to be plugged into an exterior plug and the face of the plug is all corroded or the inside of the plug is corroded.

Usually fastest way to trouble shoot.

Unplug anything connected to plugs that are on that circuit and see if it will stay hot.

Visually inspect the devices. Outlets are cheap, replace them if they have gotten wet.

Or

Split the circuit in half and see if it will stay hot. If it does it's on the second half. If it continues to trip it's on the first half. Keep cutting in half till it's found.

Another way is

Insulation resistance testing. Should be greater than 2 megohm

Or

CT around hot and neutral at panel. Should be zero at all load levels. The GFCI breaker should be tripping at 5mA of leakage current. Devices can be isolated or bypassed if there is measured leakage current.

Good luck on the troubleshooting!

Whirl pool possibly, something thats on that line. The exterior box or cover is leaking and water is getting into the outlet. Change out the box, outlet and cover with new waterproof stuff and the breaker should hold.

Reactions: BCP
Have the landlord deal with it, I'd hate for something to happen to you and leave all those Colombian orphans homeless.
Has anyone attached anything to the walls recently? Anything new being plugged in?
If it was my house, I'd turn the breaker off, remove the wire connected to it, then see if it resets (OFF then ON). If it doesn't, replace the breaker. If it does, turn it off and reconnect the wire, then go to the garage GFCI and remove the "LOAD" side wires and see if the breaker will stay on.

"Determined the outside outlet in rear exterior wall was not sealed properly and tripping the garage GFI"

and "rewired the garage outlet circuit to a different breaker" So, he found the real problem but didnt fix it, just kicked the can down the road... doh... Sounds like he disconnected the "engine light" so to speak.

"Weather Protected Outlets". that hand drawn symbol is a circle with two slashes which indicates an outlet.

An electrician probably needs to replace the outside covered outlet(s) and the conductor run(s) to the breaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
Another 'not an electrician' here, but it's safe to say I've done more wiring than the average homeowner having built my own house.

Attached or detached garage? I had a similar problem a few months back, 1st thought was the breaker was shot. It was a simple fix once I figured out the 'underground rated' wire went bad. I ran new wire.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Home im renting

View attachment 8468347
WP stands for wornout pussy! It’s the outlet that operates Columbians giant vibrators! Sorry man. I had to!😂😂

Small leakage somewhere. Power down, Open outside box disconnect outside outlet(s) from wire, power on, flip breaker.
Probably leakage inside corroded outlet.
Any leakage in any outlet with one GFI outlet on that breaker will trip the outlet.
One GFI outlet monitors ground leakage current, from anywhere on that circuit.
Have kids? or just adults? Adults can take a bigger shock and still survive :)
Is that a standard/non GFI breaker? Have kids? or just adults.
Weather Proof means "sort of weather resistant" for a couple years. Until it doesn't.

Not clear on current condition.
Garage and outside outlets connected to 20 amp Non-GFI breaker that trips and won't reset?
Bath tripping GFI breaker?

The Bath tripping it's GFI breaker is likely another leakage issue.

Call management and tell them you just got shocked.

Last edited:
Reactions: FWoo45
Put a 50 amp breaker in and see what pops
That's what a co worker used to do when I was repairing video games
You'll find out right quick what the problem is
Yup, and watch for the smoke. Also, I second that GFI outlets are pure garbage unless you're in the fucking desert. In a damp environment they are a PITA and one of the earliest examples of "woke". Along with non-flammable rubber cement and safeties on bic lighters.

Breakers age and wear out.
They do exactly this when that time comes.

Remove breaker and load wires.......flip it back and forth (like yer wang) and see if it does the same thing.

Breakers are not as cheap as they used to be.

5 minute (tops) job for someone who has a vague clue what they are doing.

Home im renting

View attachment 8468347
Are you afraid to ask the owner of the building or his electrician ?

Are you afraid to ask the owner of the building or his electrician ?

No.
I was waiting until today ( Monday) to contact the property management.

I posted the thread last night just to strike up a discussion from the vast experience of backgrounds and knowledge here on the Hide.

You make a good point, I should have included my initial post with this comment about not going to attempt a DIY job but rather curious about the issue

Mike

W Replace with a regular breaker and see if it fixes it. If it still trips there is a serious problem like water has probably corroded a wire and its arcing somewhere. If not it could either be a shit breaker or a less serious problem, that could still burn the house down. Bump your renters insurance up.

• Haha
Reactions: mikeinfwa
Replaced a couple of years ago with the one in the photo. The box is reset into brick, my plan is to mount a double size weather proof box over the top 🔝 f the existing single box this time. Circuit never tripped, and this one was still hot when removed. Will use WR rated for replacement.

View attachment 8468586View attachment 8468587
That looks more like an over heat issue caused via the push in's. Never ever, use push in's unless there is no alternative. If you have to use them make sure you use an antioxidant on the wires. Even then use a volt meter & do a mili-volt drop test to verify the connection under load.

Other causes of outdoor power issues are dirty terminals on the GFCI or plug.

Reactions: IronSkillet
OMG, please tell me you followed NONE of the advice given here…

Get an electrician out there to troubleshoot the circuit. The breaker you circled is not a gfci breaker so you are drawing an overcurrent somewhere in the circuit. It is possible that the breaker is weak but not likely considering your other issues mentioned. In the meantime disconnect anything plugged into that circuit and see if that clears the problem by chance. It sounds more like a moisture/water problem somewhere that could take some time to track down. If you are aware of any leaks or water infiltration that would be a good place to start.

Good luck, hopefully you get fixed up quickly it could be dangerous to not have a fan in the bathroom if you’ve been eating spicy food.

Reactions: johnnyvw
....And, if you're doing some weekend electrical revamping at home, use this handy rule to remember how to wire outlets:
"A black guy goes to the dentist and gets a GOLD tooth. A white guy goes to the dentist and gets a SILVER tooth."
A buddy of mine told me that and it cleared up my struggle to remember forever.

Get an electrician out there to troubleshoot the circuit. The breaker you circled is not a gfci breaker so you are drawing an overcurrent somewhere in the circuit. It is possible that the breaker is weak but not likely considering your other issues mentioned. In the meantime disconnect anything plugged into that circuit and see if that clears the problem by chance. It sounds more like a moisture/water problem somewhere that could take some time to track down. If you are aware of any leaks or water infiltration that would be a good place to start.

Good luck, hopefully you get fixed up quickly it could be dangerous to not have a fan in the bathroom if you’ve been eating spicy food.

No.
I was waiting until today ( Monday) to contact the property management.

I posted the thread last night just to strike up a discussion from the vast experience of backgrounds and knowledge here on the Hide.

You make a good point, I should have included my initial post with this comment about not going to attempt a DIY job but rather curious about the issue

Lol.. Jacksonville FL
So, it is a foreign country.

If I may be so bold. I started studying electricity and electronics in 1975. Went to college for a while with a major in electrical engineering but never finished. I have done electrical work since 1983 and have a fat and juicy license.

Ned to break it down into 2 problems.

Here is how a GFCI outlet works. If the current load on the neutral (white screw) changes .03 percent or greater in a certain amount of time, it will trip. This is why it has been acceptable to update an old house that did not have grounding conductors in the "romex" to be safe. Because it doesn't trip on current to ground, it trips on current change on the neutral.

But this can happen with moisture providing contact between the ground and neutral. In fact, the poor electrician's GFCI tester, if he does not have a smart plug with him, is a piece of "insulated" wire to push into the ground hole and the neutral (longer) slot.

Another important thing that must be done is to have in-use covers on outside outlets. This allows having a cord plugged in without exposing the outlets to rain.

1722274208177.jpeg

Also, outlets installed outside should be weather resistant / tamper resistant. They have membranes that ward off rain when a cord cap is not plugged in.

Extension cords are likely culprits. Also, some mosquito zappers and misters can be a problem because they (especially the old ones) use a buck and boost transformer where line and load side neutral are common to each other.

It is also not uncommon to have a GFCI in the garage that controls exterior outlets. It is also not uncommon to have a separate garage circuit but not always.

It is also common for people to plug a beer fridge into this when it would be better with its own circuit.

It is not modernly common to have master bath circuit on with the garage. These days, that would fail inspection.

And sometimes, breakers just wear out.

You have a Siemens panel. Technically, it will take Siemens, Homeline, and Cutler Hammer BR. But Siemens will fit in the dead front (front plate you see around the breakers.)

How long ago did this electrician do the work? I ask because without company, we have a 1 year warranty from the date of installation on parts and installation, excluding light bulbs.

So, if he did an incorrect job or one his connections came looks and now you have a hot touching ground, which would cause the breaker to trip, then he should warranty his own work.

Also, just to make sure, to reset a breaker, turn it all the way off until you feel a click. Then on until you feel a click again.

We tend to run into these problems only on days that end in the letter 'y'.

And many is the time we have had to correct the wiring of a GFCI that others installed.

So, unplug everything from the circuit. Like the other guy said, it is a process of elimination.

But the advantage to hiring another electrician (insured and licensed) is that your insurance company will not fault you if the house gets damage from an electrical fire. Especially from electrical repair work. If something happens, you refer the insurance company to the electric contractor you hired and they talk with their insurance people.

I also wanted to add. Most breakers are designed trip at 30 mA. This is acceptable and safe. the one difference is 240 volt (2 pole) GFCI breakers that are required for recurculation pumps used on swimming pools.

The NEC art 680 states that the breaker should trip at 4 - 6 mA and most companies chose 5.

Then engineers started saying that pumps work best on 6 mA so Pentair got Siemens to make them some 6 mA. Simply put one leg or the other has a change of current on one leg of more than 5 mA and it will trip.

This is a problem for variable speed pumps that are now required by law.

I wrote a boring essay designed to cure insomnia of why a perfectly functioning variable speed pump will trip a perfectly functioning 240 volt GFCI breaker. At least I got to blame it on Einstein.

Reactions: lash and oneshot86
....And, if you're doing some weekend electrical revamping at home, use this handy rule to remember how to wire outlets:
"A black guy goes to the dentist and gets a GOLD tooth. A white guy goes to the dentist and gets a SILVER tooth."
A buddy of mine told me that and it cleared up my struggle to remember forever.

Dark wire, dark terminal.
Light wire, light terminal.
Bare wire to green.

Or, don't mess with shit you don't understand.

I learned all of it by trial and error, so my advice is really nonsense.

0fbcc61b-9176-4e7f-a045-1db0fca1b12a.jpeg

The GFI outlet lower left is connected to the outside outlets. This GFI would occasionally trip over the past few months. Last night I found the 20 amp breaker popped and it wont reset.

Pic below is the backyard outlet the electrician removed and installed a cover. It appears the seal has failed and allows water to creep in.

Sent a message to the property manager to request a repair

c8b22bfd-771d-45c5-8dc1-fbb7ea34d815.jpeg

I also wanted to add. Most breakers are designed trip at 30 mA. This is acceptable and safe. the one difference is 240 volt (2 pole) GFCI breakers that are required for recurculation pumps used on swimming pools.

The NEC art 680 states that the breaker should trip at 4 - 6 mA and most companies chose 5.

Then engineers started saying that pumps work best on 6 mA so Pentair got Siemens to make them some 6 mA. Simply put one leg or the other has a change of current on one leg of more than 5 mA and it will trip.

This is a problem for variable speed pumps that are now required by law.

I wrote a boring essay designed to cure insomnia of why a perfectly functioning variable speed pump will trip a perfectly functioning 240 volt GFCI breaker. At least I got to blame it on Einstein.
There is that and LED lighting drivers and ARC fault breakers.....I have a bunch written on that, enough to drive someone to the Looney bin.

Reactions: Ronws

Nancy....is that you ?

View attachment 8468691

The GFI outlet lower left is connected to the outside outlets. This GFI would occasionally trip over the past few months. Last night I found the 20 amp breaker popped and it wont reset.

Pic below is the backyard outlet the electrician removed and installed a cover. It appears the seal has failed and allows water to creep in.

Sent a message to the property manager to request a repair

View attachment 8468692
That may not be the culprit. The wires should be either capped off in there or completely isolated. I have seen people do some pretty sketchy stuff that doesn't last. Where is the irrigation system connected?

Reactions: Ronws and lash
Home im renting

View attachment 8468347
Went through similar on a wall in garage . ( Changed breaker out to New ) and breaker are NOT-$$ Cheap anymore. after the new breaker still had power trouble . My 1st thought was that it was the only GFI outlet on the outside of wall that was going to breaker . Changed it out and still power trouble . I then changed out the 3 old inside-wall outlets to new . That was the fix. It was the OLD outlets in-line in that circuit . No more breaker problem.

Electric not my trade, but I got testers and triple check make sure power is dead. I know in my mind all is dead, but still gives me the fukin willies to stick my hands in the open fuse panel....LOL

That may not be the culprit. The wires should be either capped off in there or completely isolated. I have seen people do some pretty sketchy stuff that doesn't last. Where is the irrigation system connected?

The sprinkler controller is located inside garage. Also connected to the same circuit as the outside outlets and the GFI outlet next to breaker box

f6cef9da-0c15-43e5-9647-381f0d48636b.jpeg

I unplugged the controller unit and tried to reset the breaker but it still tripped.

And the sprinkler system is connected to the same Garage/WP breaker

Last edited:
Electric not my trade, but I got testers and triple check make sure power is dead.
Sound advice.
Long ago at GE Neutron Devices in Largo Fl, Liebert had a 175Kva UPS giving them fits. They called for a load bank & I was elected to go.
Now I've worked with those guys for years upon years, so when they told be she was dead, I took their word. Huge mistake on my part.
Hooked up the 3 phases and while hooking up the ground my 3/4 wrench touched the neutral bar and shit went side ways. WTF Guys? Took an 87 Fluke and had 190Vac 60Hz between the ground & neutral. Yea that will fuck a UPS up. We rang every connection point to point, some fuck stick so called electrician, had hooked 3, 15 ton roof a/c units neutrals into the UPS neutral.

Trust but verify, has been my rule past that day,... I don't give a fuck who you are, your back round, or how many life times you been dicking with electramo,tricty, I'm testing with my meters before doing shit.

Sound advice.
Long ago at GE Neutron Devices in Largo Fl, Liebert had a 175Kva UPS giving them fits. They called for a load bank & I was elected to go.
Now I've worked with those guys for years upon years, so when they told be she was dead, I took their word. Huge mistake on my part.
Hooked up the 3 phases and while hooking up the ground my 3/4 wrench touched the neutral bar and shit went side ways. WTF Guys? Took an 87 Fluke and had 190Vac 60Hz between the ground & neutral. Yea that will fuck a UPS up. We rang every connection point to point, some fuck stick so called electrician, had hooked 3, 15 ton roof a/c units neutrals into the UPS neutral.

Trust but verify, has been my rule past that day,... I don't give a fuck who you are, your back round, or how many life times you been dicking with electramo,tricty, I'm testing with my meters before doing shit.
Yep, lock out tag out and live dead live before touching the shiney parts. Shared neutrals can be a major fucker in many ways.