Accuracy International Picture Thread

Standard 1:12 Lothar Walther barrel?

I haven't found much of any 168gr that works. I've gone full 175gr FGMM and that's produced the best groups, except one freak day where a box of Hornady TAP ELD Precision 168gr worked well. Then every other box shot 4MOA.
168 Amax shoot better for me than 168smk in a 20in lw barrel from 2014

ETA handloads

Reactions: HKSniper11B
6911D731-FC69-4947-9E2A-90E167756D15.jpeg

Question,

I’ve been getting some trade offers on my ATX. I prefer to do a gun swap but have had offers to swap chassis. ATX chassis to a thumbhole AT chassis

Is there someone who bonds these or is it a simple process to bond myself?

I’m leaning towards a entire gun swap but curious what just swapping the chassis would bring
Biggest challenge is going to be properly aligning the action in the AT chassis when you bond it. When you bond an AX or AO chassis it has the side walls that hug the action and help align it, and you can confirm with how the barrel is centered in the forend.

I believe AI uses some sort of fixture to align the action in an AT chassis, without one you might end up with the barrel misaligned.

For what it's worth I've never had any tipped Hornady shoot good for me in any gun or caliber I've tried. I did get one to print really well at 100 but she fell apart and wouldn't hold at 800+.

However, the hornady HPBT 75gr and 178gr have been excellent for me in everything.

And since everyone has their panties in a knot over pics.... the AT with its newest sibling.

20240302_130210.jpg

I decided to ask a respected peer with military service experience with the AW, asking what he thought of the need for spare parts: "Nope, and my AI AW has about 35,000 rounds on it."

I could maybe see keeping a spare firing pin around, just for good measure. But after all I've seen of how AIs are built, and the tighter tolerances that exist today verses yester year, I am impressed with the robustness and capability of any of these rifles, and cannot see the need to stock up on spare parts unless its from the user's abuse.

For the record, when I asked the Irish Military Snipers about their AI96 Arctic Warfares, they confirmed that their rifles were all original... every last part, right down to the barrel, bolt and firing pin, all from 1993. That's 31 years of use and abuse; that's 31 years of fieldcraft on these rifles as well.

All photos are from the 2024 International Sniper Competition, and showcase real world military use of the AW [Original Content].

Conclusion being, if military snipers can run their AWs in 7.62/.308 with original stainless steel 1:12 4R barrels without a single destructive failure since 1993, I'm pretty the rest of us who are running our rifles on any given Sunday for recreational or competition use are going to be just fine, right down to the original firing pin.

Enjoy the photos... they're the best high resolution and detailed photos I have of AWs in current military use.

View attachment 8466594

View attachment 8466595

View attachment 8466597

View attachment 8466598

View attachment 8466599

View attachment 8466600

View attachment 8466601

Aren't those AI AT skins? That rifle does not look like it's from 1996. At least the skins don't.

20” for police vibes. 24-26” for trying to break 800 yards vibes.
Meh, go short and fat, and shoot heavies (this is not relationship advice). They objectively look cooler than longer barrels as well.

3 rounds at 1192 yards on a 24" target, in a gentle 5-6mph from 10 o'clock, used the drone to spot my impacts.

target_image.jpg

Aren't those AI AT skins? That rifle does not look like it's from 1996. At least the skins don't.
The skins are not from 1993. I didn't think I needed to say that part out loud.

The skins were the last version of AW skins offered. The scope and scope mounts were also upgraded to the latest from S&B and SPUHR, and are not original either.

The discussion was referring to the mechanical parts i.e. the barrel, action, etc. I was answering to that effect. All of this was implied and it's also implied that the AWs were upgraded over their years of use.

Reactions: Btrain
The skins are not from 1993. I didn't think I needed to say that part out loud.

The skins were the last version of AW skins offered. The scope and scope mounts were also upgraded to the latest from S&B and SPUHR, and are not original either.

The discussion was referring to the mechanical parts i.e. the barrel, action, etc. I was answering to that effect. All of this was implied and it's also implied that the AWs were upgraded over their years of use.

Why would they upgrade the skins of the rifle and nothing else?

20” for police vibes. 24-26” for trying to break 800 yards vibes.
Meh.

18” for being handy and cool and closer range stuff

26” for max effective range.

But it’s 20 24
Buy a 18” 6.5. And be effective

B67774EA-BBA4-4D1D-B24D-7D9EB7446CCE.jpeg

Or buy that antiquated cartridge and Miss by 0.5-2 mils all the time.

683C7BC2-1A4A-4097-AF38-B203DB9A4EDE.jpeg

Both 18” with amax/eld 140/169

I have an 18", 20" 24" and 26" 308 barrel. After using all of them I think 22" is a perfect size. 20" would be my second favorite. Darpa tested barrel length and 18.5 lost no accuracy but you do lose a decent amount of velocity. 20-22" gives you some of it back without packing a 24-26" barrel. Very nice compromise.

Reactions: HKSniper11B
Back in 2021 I screwed around for a year and ran a 16-3/4” with 338ultra in 308 for all team matches. Thing was stupid quiet and had zero recoil. Had a blast. Super fun to shoot. Surprisingly it was consistant and pretty good to 750-800 yards. Like 90%+ of a 2 day team COF. Past 800 yards things got dicey quick. I was running the M118LR recipe but with 175gr Berger OTMs. I was getting 2490-2500fps.

I have continually been kicking around the idea of 18-20” 6.5CM with 338 Ultra. Eventually I’ll get it setup.

IMG_0022.jpeg

IMG_9621.jpeg

Last edited:
I have continually been kicking around the idea of 18-20” 6.5CM with 338 Ultra. Eventually I’ll get it setup.
I have a 16.5" 6.5creed barrel and get 2560fps with a 140smk. Just slapped the load together I'm sure you can get a bit more out of it. Really fun setup. No problem to 1k, acts a bit like a slower 308 though with 140s. 142s and a bit more speed would do excellent.

For the pic chick's.

20220423_183506.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 16.5" 6.5creed barrel and get 2560fps with a 140smk. Just slapped the load together I'm sure you can get a bit more out of it. Really fun setup. No problem to 1k, acts a bit like a slower 308 though with 140s. 142s and a bit more speed would do excellent.

For the pic chick's.

View attachment 8468737
Sounds like 18” and 142grs would do the trick? I don’t think I can go much shorter with the ATX

Ever hear anything further about Pigg River Fall Brawl?

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
Sounds like 18” and 142grs would do the trick? I don’t think I can go much shorter with the ATX

Ever hear anything further about Pigg River Fall Brawl?
Yea 18 should be really fun. I'll PM you few details I got in case he needs to change anything, I don't want to commit him.

For everyone though the details will be posted Wednesday.

F that. Shimmy shake. All over the place.

Real men shoot off the ground

View attachment 8469383
It doesn't, at all (at least the kind of trucks real men drive). And if you can see my up-to 1625 yard target anywhere from the ground along my range, you're welcome to shoot it all you want (but you can't). It's across a flat hayfield with a slight knoll right in front of the target. The elevation is required.

• Haha
Reactions: BurtG
Can anyone tell me what the diameter is of the shank on a standard 30mm tenon barrel right at the receiver interface?

I'm working on some thread protector models for fun but I only have 27mm tenon barrels.

Getting correct thread clearance when 3D printing was a b!tch.

I've been playing with designing 3D printed thread protectors and cleaning guides for M27 barrels.

Would it be against the rules for me to give away 6 of them (3 of each type) of the prototypes to someone for the cost of shipping? They're all printed in PETG and they work, however, they aren't perfect (a couple are snug on the threads and a couple don't have all of the features).

I'm not looking to start selling them I just don't like wasting things if someone else could get some use out of them.

They'd all fit in a small USPS Flat Rate box.

If that's a no go let me know and I'll delete this as I don't want to step on anyone's toes but I don't need them and I'll just wind up throwing them away otherwise.

ETA: They're boxed up along with some TRG 22/42 2013+ Cheek/LOP spacers from my design testing and heading to Defender3. Again, not looking to start selling them...I just hate throwing things away that are functional just not exactly what I want while fine tuning designs for my own use.

Last edited:
I've been playing with designing 3D printed thread protectors and cleaning guides for M27 barrels.

Would it be against the rules for me to give away 6 of them (3 of each type) of the prototypes to someone for the cost of shipping? They're all printed in PETG and they work, however, they aren't perfect (a couple are snug on the threads and a couple don't have all of the features).

I'm not looking to start selling them I just don't like wasting things if someone else could get some use out of them.

They'd all fit in a small USPS Flat Rate box.

If that's a no go let me know and I'll delete this as I don't want to step on anyone's toes but I don't need them and I'll just wind up throwing them away otherwise.
I'm in. I can distribute some to the AI Mafia at Quantico.