• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Accuracy International Picture Thread

I don’t shoot prs. Probably never will. But I can honestly say it has probably been the biggest influence on modern shooting equipment for everyone.

It brings the modern chassis’s we have, the huge amount of optics, calibers and barrels available. Also the actions. Basically everything most of us use has come about from prs guys who do positional shooting and swap lots of barrels.

A lot of its style transfers easily to hunting and other shooting disciplines

It also opened up an entire market of .22 trainers and second hand equipment at great prices for people to try

It brought a whole new life to centerfire and rimfire is benefiting now as well

I for one appreciate the gamer guys
I was thinking similar but then i shot 3 matches in a row; Saturday my 4th. My learning curve is on a sharp incline; i learn a lot, and very quick. Not to mention, i met a lot of great people. However, am i going to shoot prs a lot? Nah. My Son plans on competing though. He is young.

Last edited:
Reactions: BurtG
I want one as a spare and AI states it's an easily replaceable part. It's just a ring that slides into the front of the action same as what GA Precision uses on their Tempest action.

I don't get why you think that having critical spare parts on hand for a $5K imported rifle (I have 2 AT's) to ensure you can keep it running for the next 30+ years is such a crazy idea? Importation of parts for these rifles could be stopped with the stroke of a pen at any time so it seems like a worthwhile investment to me.

ETA: If nothing else I may not know how to install it but I bet MHSA does so if I ever screw up a rifle and the part isn't available I can send the rifle and the part to MHSA and have them install it.
I don't know of anyone ever replacing one of those rings. Jacob at RO maybe? I would still like to replace the firing springs on my AIs soon. I don't even know if they sell those are not.

I don't know of anyone ever replacing one of those rings. Jacob at RO maybe? I would still like to replace the firing springs on my AIs soon. I don't even know if they sell those are not.

It seems like it's probably not going to be possible to get a spare and I'm guessing you'll have to send in your rifles to have the springs changed as well (if they'll even do it). I'm still attempting to track some down though. I have tons of critical spare parts for my AR's and want to do the same for my AI's regardless of "the need".

AI is like Apple it appears in regards to selling replacement parts.

For the folks that do a lot of positional shooting with their AXMC or AXSR, what height are you running your glass at? I'm annoyingly tall and also shoot with my glasses on due to a heavy astigmatism correction. As a result I find myself bobbing down with a craned neck for a clear sight picture more than I'd like to admit when running the AI.

I'm currently running a H38MM Spuhr mount (1.5") with a 56MM objective, which already seems a tad high on paper, but when I do the "get comfortable behind the gun with closed eyes and then open them" test, it feels like I should maybe run a H44MM (1.723") to not have the upper edge of glasses obstructing the sight picture and otherwise be in a comfortable head-up position.

Any other tall bespectacled folks deal with the same?

For the folks that do a lot of positional shooting with their AXMC or AXSR, what height are you running your glass at? I'm annoyingly tall and also shoot with my glasses on due to a heavy astigmatism correction. As a result I find myself bobbing down with a craned neck for a clear sight picture more than I'd like to admit when running the AI.

I'm currently running a H38MM Spuhr mount (1.5") with a 56MM objective, which already seems a tad high on paper, but when I do the "get comfortable behind the gun with closed eyes and then open them" test, it feels like I should maybe run a H44MM (1.723") to not have the upper edge of glasses obstructing the sight picture and otherwise be in a comfortable head-up position.

The daily glasses lenses I wear aren’t tall enough for scope use. As such, I have a pair with taller lenses that I wear when I shoot.

If you get into the prone without glasses, does your eye line up behind the scope?

To me, while this might be a scope height problem, it could also be a glasses design problem.

-Stan

Reactions: CollarChoke
The daily glasses lenses I wear aren’t tall enough for scope use. As such, I have a pair with taller lenses that I wear when I shoot.

If you get into the prone without glasses, does your eye line up behind the scope?

To me, while this might be a scope height problem, it could also be a glasses design problem.

-Stan
Yeah in prone without glasses I'm fine, it's the top rim of the glasses that drops right into my FOV that I'm having to work around with a more upright head posture, but then that puts me just too high for a comfortable sight picture. I guess a set of new glasses is cheaper than a new Spuhr mount haha

Reactions: stanley_white
I’m only a bit taller than average, but I still feel your pain. Before my cataract surgeries, with my roughly -11/-10 rx glasses, I needed absurdly tall rings on my AX so my neck didn’t scream at me.

Like, the tallest Spuhr makes, 1.89”. Not the greatest look lol

Now, sans glasses, 1.5” is fine.

If I was still shooting with rx glasses, I’d have a pair made that sit like those shotgunning shades.

As in jacked way the eff up high to counteract that “looking through the extreme upper left corner of the specs which are the shittiest place to look through” problem you I had/have. (I’m right-handed btw.)

1723062809205.jpeg

Sorta like Hunter S. Thompson’s. Only maybe higher? Hard to tell.

1723062684682.jpeg
That’s not me. Don’t like those shades, but they’re nice and high. You get the idea.

Might not negate the need for a super tall mount. But it’ll help with discomfort.

Do you have the cheek piece lowered as far as it will go?

With the adjustable butt pad you could maybe lower the cheekpiece and adjust the butt pad accordingly to gain some additional room for your head position.

I also adjust my cheek piece laterally to the side to allow my head to come further over and not feel like I need to "roll" my head.

Do you have the cheek piece lowered as far as it will go?

With the adjustable butt pad you could maybe lower the cheekpiece and adjust the butt pad accordingly to gain some additional room for your head position.
Yeah I have it as low as it will go and even removed the Hoptic pad I had on there. Have dropped the butt pad to not interfere as well, if I had another quarter inch of downward adjustment I'd be golden but alas the long action bolt has to clear the cheek riser. I think what folks are saying is spot on ... I either need to get some taller glasses, or bump the scope rings up a size.

Yeah in prone without glasses I'm fine, it's the top rim of the glasses that drops right into my FOV that I'm having to work around with a more upright head posture, but then that puts me just too high for a comfortable sight picture. I guess a set of new glasses is cheaper than a new Spuhr mount haha
You can also try raising your bipod height and rear bag. It’ll keep your head up a little more and neck less crunched up.

Yeah I have it as low as it will go and even removed the Hoptic pad I had on there. Have dropped the butt pad to not interfere as well, if I had another quarter inch of downward adjustment I'd be golden but alas the long action bolt has to clear the cheek riser. I think what folks are saying is spot on ... I either need to get some taller glasses, or bump the scope rings up a size.
Try taking the cheek piece off entirely.

2930fps with the new 230smks sorry I lied 6400ft... Actual altitude at that spot 4800ft
All good. Makes even more sense. I'm running 230 LRHTs right at 2900 in the PRC, but the DA is the big difference. I'm at 200ft MSL.
What powder and charge are you using?
Oops, this is a pic thread, so it’s the one in the middle:
IMG_7529.jpeg

Last edited:
All good. Makes even more sense. I'm running 230 LRHTs right at 2900 in the PRC, but the DA is the big difference. I'm at 200ft MSL.
What powder and charge are you using?
Oops, this is a pic thread, so it’s the one in the middle:
View attachment 8476777

78.5 gr of retumbo acclimated to 35ish % rh for 2 weeks+ prior to loading

Reactions: vh20
I saw first signs of pressure at 80.0 (Lapua brass, Fed 215M primer, can't remember the MV). I tried 79.5 and was close to your MV, but ES/SD was worse. I have not tried controlling the humidity other than keeping it tightly sealed and stored inside the house. What kind of ES/SD are you getting, and how are you controlling humidity? I'd guess mine is probably around 45-50% RH inside (in AL).

Reactions: Huskydriver
I saw first signs of pressure at 80.0 (Lapua brass, Fed 215M primer, can't remember the MV). I tried 79.5 and was close to your MV, but ES/SD was worse. I have not tried controlling the humidity other than keeping it tightly sealed and stored inside the house. What kind of ES/SD are you getting, and how are you controlling humidity? I'd guess mine is probably around 45-50% RH inside (in AL).

I don't control it per say after trial and error. I just open it up a couple weeks before I'm ready to load for a match and let it sit out.

I found after 12 days being left open it stops speeding up until I assume it's fully in homeostasis with the Utah 30-35% all year long avg rh. If I was living in a more humid climate I would prolly run something to dehumidify it but it's so dry here I don't see the need with the type of competitive shooting I do.

Would have to look back at some chrono data but I have put 40 rounds of this lot over a Garmin it's like 9sd and less than 30 es

Reactions: vh20