Grills: charcoal vs pellet vs propane

I have all 3 in my outdoor kitchen. A weber genesis gas grill plumbed into my house's natural gas, a weber performer charcoal grill with gas start, and a green mountian grills smoker with cellphone control. I use all 3 almost evenly as they each have their own place!

not the same bro. get a real smoker and youll get it. that white smoke that comes out of a amazen tube makes the smoking sour and youll never get that good pink ring. Ive got a badass pellet smoker. Yoder YS640 and even tho thats smoking its still not the same quality you get with a real true blue smoker using real wood. but your smoker tube full of pellets doesnt even come close to the quality of food youll get out of a pellet smoker. Ive got both.

wrong.

i’ve got smokers. had one i made out of an old refrigerator (was labor intensive but great results) had an electric one that you added chips to now and then. and there is one sitting here that is propane that burns chips as well. the amazin smoker tube gets it done. compared to all three of the other smokers, i wish i would have had this years ago.

in fact, my brother is who turned me onto the tube. he has a trager, and wasnt happy with the smoke output. so he added a smoker tube to it and now is very happy with his results. combined with my experience with my three smokers, that smoker tube assisted with charcoal for getting the heat right, gets it done. best results i’ve ever had, and i have had some GREAT results with other methods.

Last edited:
wrong.

i’ve got smokers. had one i made out of an old refrigerator (was labor intensive but great results) had an electric one that you added chips to now and then. and there is one sitting here that is propane that burns chips as well. the amazin smoker tube gets it done. compared to all three of the other smokers, i wish i would have had this years ago.

in fact, my brother is who turned me onto the tube. he has a trager, and wasnt happy with the smoke output. so he added a smoker tube to it and now is very happy with his results. combined with my experience with my three smokers, that smoker tube assisted with charcoal for getting the heat right, gets it done. best results i’ve ever had, and i have had some GREAT results with other methods.
agree to disagree.
theres a whole lot more to proper smoking meat than adding smoldering pellets to a tube. it has a whole lot to do with what kind of dark flavorful smoke is created from a fire and what kind of white sour smoke is created when something is smoldering. but if you dont get that, theres nothing im going to say thats going to convince you. but sure you can get the same results from your 10 dollar tube as you get from a 2000 dollar smoker. makes sense.
but than again doesnt even matter, you seem more than happy with your final product. enjoy.

Lump Charcoal, there is no substitute.

This book is worth picking up if you are new to BBQ and grilling:

Weber kettle AND a WSM, you can pick them both up used for less than 200 total. 18.5" in either one is great if you have a family of 4 or smaller. 22.5" if you have a large family or like smoking brisket. If you just want to dabble there isn't much you can't do in a 22.5" kettle and you can pick one up for less than $50 off of craigslist, I lived this way for years until I found a deal on a WSM. I can light the WSM at 10pm, and I don't have to mess with it until I need to add some more charcoal at 10am, that's it.

You won't know what you really want until you start cooking.

Got a pellet grill a couple years ago. I was on the fence about buying one, always used charcoal and gas and cold smoke smoker. I never use my gas nor my charcoal any loger, the pellet grill does all of my cooking now. After using it a few times I kicked myself in the ass for waiting so long to get one.
I have a green mountain grill daniel boone and got the pizza oven attachment for it. Best damn pizza I have ever had

agree to disagree.
theres a whole lot more to proper smoking meat than adding smoldering pellets to a tube. it has a whole lot to do with what kind of dark flavorful smoke is created from a fire and what kind of white sour smoke is created when something is smoldering. but if you dont get that, theres nothing im going to say thats going to convince you. but sure you can get the same results from your 10 dollar tube as you get from a 2000 dollar smoker. makes sense.
but than again doesnt even matter, you seem more than happy with your final product. enjoy.

what? you trying to be reasonable on me? wtf, over? i thought this was the pit... i’m just a little upset you didnt tell me to pound sand up my ass. :ROFLMAO:

i am at a loss though, at how you using pellets, and me using pellets, you convince yourself that you are getting a different smoke off your pellets than i am getting off of mine. and i can assure you, i am no slouch when it comes to grilling/smoking/cooking. i’ll put my meat up against anyone’s. are there guys better? surely. but i hold my own and many a pair of panties have dropped after i’ve made dinner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
what? you trying to be reasonable on me? wtf, over? i thought this was the pit... i’m just a little upset you didnt tell me to pound sand up my ass. :ROFLMAO:

i am at a loss though, at how you using pellets, and me using pellets, you convince yourself that you are getting a different smoke off your pellets than i am getting off of mine. and i can assure you, i am no slouch when it comes to grilling/smoking/cooking. i’ll put my meat up against anyone’s. are there guys better? surely. but i hold my own and many a pair of panties have dropped after i’ve made dinner.
pellet smokers create smoke by pellets being on fire. amazentube whatever creates smoke by smoldering. has nothing to do with who owns which items. results are the same. honestly this isnt that hard to figure out and im half convinced youre just arguing to argue and know im right. smell the smoke from your amazen tube. smell the smoke from your pellet smoker. they will smell completely different. amazen tubes are for the poors who cant afford a smoker.

^ not quite “pound sand up your ass”.....but you did throw out “the poors”. NOW we are talking!

call me a monkey....or a poor....but i am quite happy with the weber and the smoker tube. when i want fire, i light up the charcoal. or the fresh split oak i cook over. i’d love to compare side by side to see where the bear shits in the briar patch. that is, after all, how ya find out.

It all depends.
Do you like smoking stuff too?
Can do on either, though you are limited on volume and soze more on a weber kettle.

I am of the opinion that if you are looking for the very best taste, charcoal is the way to go. Lump, not briquets.

That said, pellet grills are stupid easy and take very little work to make really really delicious food. I am prepping an 8lb pork shoulder right now to go on mine as I leave for church this AM.

As for propane, I use it too. I could always taste it on a cheap grill and when done incorrectly.
Used right I never taste it. I use a weber genesis 3 series. Maybe move up to the summit if I ever get the itch, but this thing is working so far......
I love my summit. Taste the meat not the heat lol.

I have a Oklahoma Joe longhorn. Gas/charcoal plus smoker box on side. Gas side has not been used in over a year. I like smoking on it, but that is an all day affair. I used to give the guys with electric smokers shit. But nowadays I’m thinking that’s where it’s at. As you can start, add meat and then go on with your day without babysitting every 30-45 minutes.

Did you just say you’d put your meat up against his? I’d say that’s as gay as two penises touching, but that’s redundant...

• Haha
Reactions: PinesAndProjectiles
We got an Aussie charcoal grill for a wedding gift back in 2005.
t was still working but I didn't think it would make the move so I got rid of it. That damn thing went 14 years.

After we settled in the new place, I bought a Weber Master Touch 22".

It'll be a cold day in hell I cook over propane.

As for a smoker, I've got a stick burner I built a few years back. It's way more work then a pellet cooker, but it's worth the extra effort all day long.

I was surprised that the PBC hasn't been mentioned here yet. I was just about to post that up and see ive been beat to it. I've switched to running lump in mine instead of briquettes. Aside from the one time I lit the thing on fire, it's been great.

I was surprised that the PBC hasn't been mentioned here yet. I was just about to post that up and see ive been beat to it. I've switched to running lump in mine instead of briquettes. Aside from the one time I lit the thing on fire, it's been great.
I think it is simply without equal, especially when you consider its price.

I only run standard Kingsford in mine. Works so well. Tried a couple of lump charcoal brands but had issues
  1. Ran too hot
  2. Didn't have long enough cook times
Kingsford original gives me the right temp and I can get 6-10 hours of cook depending on how I pack the basket.

Webber Jumbo Joe ($74 dollars at Walmart according to google).

Kingsford basic charcoal. No match lights. No lighter fluid. Use a charcoal starter with newspaper.

Smoking ribs on the Webber now.
This ended up being an expensive smoking session cause I Just spent $ on AI mags while checking out the PX.

I think it is simply without equal, especially when you consider its price.

I only run standard Kingsford in mine. Works so well. Tried a couple of lump charcoal brands but had issues
  1. Ran too hot
  2. Didn't have long enough cook times
Kingsford original gives me the right temp and I can get 6-10 hours of cook depending on how I pack the basket.
Lump coal will burn hot and fast, like you observed, if you don’t have a way to starve the fire of O2. That is where the ceramic cookers really shine. They seal up well to control the air flow, and the ceramic retains the heat. I did a 12 hour pork shoulder on one using less than a 1/4 of a bag of lump coal- with enough left over to do burgers on another night. There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get them figured out, they are easy to cook on. Be patient with the prep and don’t over shoot your heat. Use a probe meat thermometer. Don’t be a nervous nelly and open and close the lid. Just let the thing cook. Honestly, most of this applies equally well to any smoker...

Lump coal will burn hot and fast, like you observed, if you don’t have a way to starve the fire of O2. That is where the ceramic cookers really shine. They seal up well to control the air flow, and the ceramic retains the heat. I did a 12 hour pork shoulder on one using less than a 1/4 of a bag of lump coal- with enough left over to do burgers on another night. There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get them figured out, they are easy to cook on. Be patient with the prep and don’t over shoot your heat. Use a probe meat thermometer. Don’t be a nervous nelly and open and close the lid. Just let the thing cook. Honestly, most of this applies equally well to any smoker...
That may be true but the OP had a budget of $300. You aren’t getting a ceramic Cooker for $300. A PBC doesn’t work in the same way as an egg. That is why they work best with standard briquettes

When I mentioned a barrel, I should have been more specific as I have a PBC. Easy to use and it's a rib cooking machine. I have a few bags of briquettes left, but supplement with lump. What lump are you using?

Green egg or that style is great as well, but be prepared for the fact they are a smaller cooking space than you'd think. I love mine, but definitely a bit decieving on space.

Weber Kettle is the way to go for grilling and you can smoke on them easily with snake method. I still have a weber gasser for burgers and dogs as its just too easy. Get a kettle a chimney starter and some coal baskets and enjoy the good food. As with anything you get what you pay for.

Reactions: kthomas
I have a good friend who owns a BBQ catering business and is very talented at grilling, smokeing and Qing meat. I've helped cook with him at a few competitions and he always wins something - often BOS. Was at his home just a few days ago and on the covered area of his patio he had 8 or 9 things to cook meat including a couple of tragers, a cabinet style smoker, regualr built in gas grill, and a few other things. I asked him which one he used the most and his preference was the Big Green Egg by far. A few other friends prefer the Egg over anything else they've had.
I just have a Lynx with the pro-sear or whatever its called and it does what I need. Had a couple webers previously and thought they sucked.

Have a pork butt on the grill right now. Set at 225 I'll check it in 6 hours.

So far I've cooked hamburgers, fish and shrimp, vegetables, and pork loin on the new pellet grill. All have turned out fine.

I'm sure like anything else the more I use it and learn how to use it the end product will improve.

Seems like cooking meat is a lot like reloading - the most important steps are the prep work.

I like that I can set this pellet grill and walk off. I've got several chores to do around the house today, and it's nice to be able to set the alarm on my phone and do what I need to do.

I use all three and they all have their different purposes or PROS.
My team was ranked 19th in the world for ribs last. And we have 8 Grand Championships and 2 reserve grand championships. We got a 7th place call for chicken at the American Royal last year and got a 6th place call for ribs the year before, so I know a little something about smoking.

Weber Performer: I use it to cook all my steaks and use grill grates to get those gorgeous cross hatching.

Pellet Cookers are nice for set it and forget it, but does not impart a substantial smoke flavor.

Gas grills: use it for hamburgers/ hotdogs vegetables

Insulated cabinet cooker: If you live in a cold climate and still look to cook in the winter holds temperature really well. You can purchase a PID controller like a Flame Boss and it is pretty much set it and forget it as well and you can control the pit from anywhere, highly recommend

Gateway Drums: These things are cooking MACHINES!!!! Everything you can do on a Weber Charcoal grill, you can do on the drum, just quicker and easier. I cook ribs in 2 1/2 hrs, Chicken in about 1 1/2, 18# Brisket in six hours, pork in about 4 hours and they are amazing. They do require more monitoring than a pellet or gas grill, but the results are worth it.

Attachments

• 15BDAB80-E87E-4731-94D1-BD102649CAFA.jpeg
    15BDAB80-E87E-4731-94D1-BD102649CAFA.jpeg
    546.2 KB · Views: 50
  • AFAD9980-5494-44D5-A6D2-250E24124351.jpeg
    AFAD9980-5494-44D5-A6D2-250E24124351.jpeg
    646.9 KB · Views: 49
  • FB376735-2E62-4A0D-94DA-7C17DE557307.jpeg
    FB376735-2E62-4A0D-94DA-7C17DE557307.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 56
  • FA14348E-3348-4617-A471-D546AD1D708B.jpeg
    FA14348E-3348-4617-A471-D546AD1D708B.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 6DFCA6EC-4EC3-478D-981B-320605FBDCD0.jpeg
    6DFCA6EC-4EC3-478D-981B-320605FBDCD0.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 56
  • 00B3F8B6-5FF9-4117-A081-49257CF7D1C4.jpeg
    00B3F8B6-5FF9-4117-A081-49257CF7D1C4.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 52
  • B93BDBEC-CB48-41D8-87E4-110E721BB530.jpeg
    B93BDBEC-CB48-41D8-87E4-110E721BB530.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 878120AB-81CD-42B8-BB73-5E1EE6CE37B1.jpeg
    878120AB-81CD-42B8-BB73-5E1EE6CE37B1.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 64
  • A4246EAD-A49D-4677-8FBC-2EDEC697DF66.jpeg
    A4246EAD-A49D-4677-8FBC-2EDEC697DF66.jpeg
    402.6 KB · Views: 55
  • D1C113C9-B511-4E3B-B998-F08A38D1958F.jpeg
    D1C113C9-B511-4E3B-B998-F08A38D1958F.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 86338411-8B77-437D-8F14-0117BDA6752A.jpeg
    86338411-8B77-437D-8F14-0117BDA6752A.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 07107F4E-6F07-4CDF-BE93-9146EA808D03.jpeg
    07107F4E-6F07-4CDF-BE93-9146EA808D03.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 1D4681D1-0AD0-48D1-978E-9DEDA83B9C24.jpeg
    1D4681D1-0AD0-48D1-978E-9DEDA83B9C24.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 52
  • F5071F90-890D-4B1D-A6EB-ACE0BD5EA3F6.jpeg
    F5071F90-890D-4B1D-A6EB-ACE0BD5EA3F6.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 59
Just put a pork shoulder on the kamado joe. Not quite set it and forget it, but keep it out of the wind (to keep the air intake constant) and it is pretty fool proof...

not a fan of the cross hatch grill lines. Stop playing with your meat. Flip them once and then pull them off.

Just put a pork shoulder on the kamado joe. Not quite set it and forget it, but keep it out of the wind (to keep the air intake constant) and it is pretty fool proof...
Kamado style cookers take about 30 mins of messing with then you can walk away. Let the charcoal get going, set the intake/exhaust and double check it. Like you said though I have a perfect corner for it that gets the same breeze no matter what.

@notacos4u is dead on. Right tool for the right job. Great looking cooks!

Reactions: notacos4u
Kamado style cookers take about 30 mins of messing with then you can walk away. Let the charcoal get going, set the intake/exhaust and double check it. Like you said though I have a perfect corner for it that gets the same breeze no matter what.

@notacos4u is dead on. Right tool for the right job. Great looking cooks!
I prefer to put some good music on, crack a few brews (sequentially), and sit on the patio enjoying the breeze and staring intently at the meat thermometer output. 12 to 14 hours of productive labor...

I prefer to put some good music on, crack a few brews (sequentially), and sit on the patio enjoying the breeze and staring intently at the meat thermometer output. 12 to 14 hours of productive labor...
I thought it was implied all "walk away" meant was to sit there and have some beverages while enjoying the peacefulness of it all 😂

I have a RecTec and a Weber Genesis.

The RT is for ribs, pork shoulders/butts, brisket, and wings

Weber is for steaks/burgers, chicken breast.

I use them equally and would recommend either company. They both have awesome customer service.

Post #89 by notacos4u clearly won here with those pictures in his photo attachment! ..now I'm hungry, damn it!

Your Brother in law might swear by a Pellet" grill but ask him, "what will he do if he doesn't have electricity to run it? Or what if the supply store runs out of pellets?" What then?

Propane is fine as long as you have that propane source. Propane never goes bad or so I've been told. I don't like the smell of it and refuse to get one. Others have no issues.

I personally prefer a grill that takes charcoal. Something you can make yourself and save some cash. Because no matter what, as long as you have access to wood you can cook something and eat it. If the grill is big enough like mine a barrel grill at 36"X 18" with cast iron grates. It's really limitless and only restricted to your choice of what to cook and how much.
*Man has been cooking with wood since cave man used it to cook with and enjoy that hard earned meal. Can't do that if you run out of Propane or Pellets and no electricity.
-If the system isn't broke... There's no need to fix it. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I use all three and they all have their different purposes or PROS.
My team was ranked 19th in the world for ribs last. And we have 8 Grand Championships and 2 reserve grand championships. We got a 7th place call for chicken at the American Royal last year and got a 6th place call for ribs the year before, so I know a little something about smoking.

Weber Performer: I use it to cook all my steaks and use grill grates to get those gorgeous cross hatching.

Pellet Cookers are nice for set it and forget it, but does not impart a substantial smoke flavor.

Gas grills: use it for hamburgers/ hotdogs vegetables

Insulated cabinet cooker: If you live in a cold climate and still look to cook in the winter holds temperature really well. You can purchase a PID controller like a Flame Boss and it is pretty much set it and forget it as well and you can control the pit from anywhere, highly recommend

Gateway Drums: These things are cooking MACHINES!!!! Everything you can do on a Weber Charcoal grill, you can do on the drum, just quicker and easier. I cook ribs in 2 1/2 hrs, Chicken in about 1 1/2, 18# Brisket in six hours, pork in about 4 hours and they are amazing. They do require more monitoring than a pellet or gas grill, but the results are worth it.
That competition must have been very tough to come in at #19...because to me your overall "presentation and cook" looks perfect! and for me, makes me want to dig in for a sample. Keep up the good work and congratulations on your successes!

Reactions: notacos4u
You can beat the smoke hollow cabinet propane smoker
Can't forget about the Weber charcoal either!

Attachments

• 15994354291332978636946636097684.jpg
    15994354291332978636946636097684.jpg
    745 KB · Views: 47
  • 15994354595791411979027414865409.jpg
    15994354595791411979027414865409.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 15994359617072137835111305546874.jpg
    15994359617072137835111305546874.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
That competition must have been very tough to come in at #19...because to me your overall "presentation and cook" looks perfect! and for me, makes me want to dig in for a sample. Keep up the good work and congratulations on your successes!
Thank you for the kind words.... That was for the whole entire 2019 KCBS season, we finished ranked 19th overall for all competitors in the world For ribs. When we competed at the American Royal in Kansas City last year, day 1 invitation with around 135 Grand Championship teams we finished 23rd overall, on Day 2 with appr 468 teams, we finished 55th overall

not a fan of the cross hatch grill lines. Stop playing with your meat. Flip them once and then pull them off.
I like my Racks big, my Pork pulled and my Meat rubbed. LOL

As an owner of a highly expensive pellet smoker..... I’ll share my insight with you. First don’t think of it as a smoker at all. Think of it as a fancy oven that smokes (kinda) Once you start with the oven mindset everything will fall into place. And you’ll make amazing food with very little effort compared to a stick smoker (stick smokers have better flavor arguably) but the 300$ price tag you’re not going to be happy even if you do find one in that price range. I’d say 6-700 is the minimum to make it worth your time.

Reactions: rookie7