• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

***** KESTREL APP UPDATE*** PLEASE READ

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
A new version of the app 142 was recently released. We have found that some iOs users are reporting the app is crashing when attempting to open it. This is caused by a cache issue that can't be manually fixed with Apple devices.

If this happens there are two options:

1. If you are ok losing the profiles on your app (not saved to Kestrel), then deleting the app and reinstalling is fine and will fix the issue.

2. If there are profiles within the app that you don't want to lose, please don't use the app. There is a fix coming.

If you have any questions please contact us on here, or at [email protected]

Thanks,
NK Tech Support

Last edited:
Just to confirm, all of you experiencing the app crashing are using iPhones?

I'll post the list of changes for 1.22 shortly, the biggest one is us adding preconfigured Ruger profiles. I'll get down to the nitty gritty if anyone would like.

Also, you will notice the Bluetooth icon within the app will display as green now (instead of blue), indicating you are connected.

Just got everything to work with my iPhone. The app v142 and Kestrel 1.22 are communicating. Things look about the same on both, except for the color change of the Bluetooth logo. Also, when the app updated the Kestrel, it did not delete the gun profiles. Not sure, but it seems the target card in the Kestrel loads faster now.

If you are having problems, here is what I did:
Delete the app on your phone.
Download new app
Connect but do not accept firmware update, upload gun profiles to app first.
Shut down app and kestrel and restart and pair
App should offer to update firmware, accept this time.
Wait for update to complete - 20 minutes or so, hopefully all will be good then.

Going to the range in a bit, will check it out then.

Just got everything to work with my iPhone. The app v142 and Kestrel 1.22 are communicating. Things look about the same on both, except for the color change of the Bluetooth logo. Also, when the app updated the Kestrel, it did not delete the gun profiles. Not sure, but it seems the target card in the Kestrel loads faster now.

If you are having problems, here is what I did:
Delete the app on your phone.
Download new app
Connect but do not accept firmware update, upload gun profiles to app first.
Shut down app and kestrel and restart and pair
App should offer to update firmware, accept this time.
Wait for update to complete - 20 minutes or so, hopefully all will be good then.

Going to the range in a bit, will check it out then.

Yes deleting the app will work, however it will delete the profiles. Are you saying you deleted the app, reinstalled, and the profiles remained?

The new app version has been released and should be showing up in the App Store shortly. We have confirmed this update will not erase any guns. This is a fix for the crashing app syndrome.

The app version you will want to have is 146. It should auto update.

As always, if you need any assistance please don't hesitate to contact us.

Reactions: Jeffd
The new app version has been released and should be showing up in the App Store shortly. We have confirmed this update will not erase any guns. This is a fix for the crashing app syndrome.

The app version you will want to have is 146. It should auto update.

As always, if you need any assistance please don't hesitate to contact us.
Great News - Thanks!

Almost impossible to calibrate compass now. New Energizer Ultimate Lithium (always - per spec) battery and still no response when rotating Kestrel. Have to manually enter guesstimate by hand.

Thanks for the link, filled out the form and decided to try something first before sending.

Checked and "Direction" was set to Magnetic North and tried to calibrate again, no luck no matter what I did with the axis angle of the Kestrel. Changed Direction to True North, calibrate, no count down until I tipped the top of the Kestrel's axis about 10 degrees North. This is how it has reacted to calibrating since new. I don't know if the V1.22/Boot 1.00 update changed default to Magnetic North or not since I never even messed with this option.

Once calibrated I changed back to Magnetic North and it seems to be working great! It used to wander +- 20* and never settle so I would just try and hit the button when it was close to the middle. LOL..... Now it is rock solid and maybe only wanders a degree, that's all.

I still have a question on having to tip the Axis to the North. It's working great so I'm afraid to send it in now.

Thanks for the link, filled out the form and decided to try something first before sending.

Checked and "Direction" was set to Magnetic North and tried to calibrate again, no luck no matter what I did with the axis angle of the Kestrel. Changed Direction to True North, calibrate, no count down until I tipped the top of the Kestrel's axis about 10 degrees North. This is how it has reacted to calibrating since new. I don't know if the V1.22/Boot 1.00 update changed default to Magnetic North or not since I never even messed with this option.

Once calibrated I changed back to Magnetic North and it seems to be working great! It used to wander +- 20* and never settle so I would just try and hit the button when it was close to the middle. LOL..... Now it is rock solid and maybe only wanders a degree, that's all.

I still have a question on having to tip the Axis to the North. It's working great so I'm afraid to send it in now.

Most likely the firmware update did change your True North setting. I am questioning why you need to tilt the unit at all to calibrate the compass as well. If it seems to be working for you and you don't want to send it in, that is fine. Otherwise email [email protected] and I would most likely have you send it to me directly to look at.

The tilting to the north to start calibration was mentioned in one of the threads here a while back and it seems to work. I have tried it along with some others and it always seems to get the calibration to start.

Most likely the firmware update did change your True North setting. I am questioning why you need to tilt the unit at all to calibrate the compass as well. If it seems to be working for you and you don't want to send it in, that is fine. Otherwise email [email protected] and I would most likely have you send it to me directly to look at.
Thanks for the personal interest in looking at it. I have a trip in 7 days and will be needing the Kestrel which is invaluable. After that I can send it in. Who do I address it to so it gets to you?

Bringing this back up.

Finally have a window to let my Kestrel go back for a fix. I talked to Luke in tech support from Nielsen Kellerman this morning about the compass calibration issue I'm having.

RA # in place and ready to send it in and I wanted to backup my gun data first. Once connected it displayed an update available so after I backed everything up I decided to see if maybe this could resolve my issue. Well after a complete v 1.25 installation on the 5700ab the compass seems to work. I think I should still send it in for a thorough inspection but this was a big surprise to me.