Odd ball hobbies

300zx_tt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
South East Pennsylvania
The firewood/woodchuck thread got me thinking. What other hobbies do you guys have that aren’t very common? Obviously there’s a bunch of us that cut wood or do woodworking, mountain biking, photography etc.. I’m talking about the out in left field type of hobbies.

I went down a YouTube rabbit hole one time and found myself watching a guy, BigstackD. He had a forge and was melting copper and aluminum into ingots. Thought it was interesting and 2 weeks later a forge showed up on my doorstep 😀 I’m a contractor so I have access to tons of scrap wire and pipe, storing it in trash cans was getting annoying so I figured I might as well try it out right?!
6D3CBB30-934B-419F-8BC5-726733BC9AC0.jpeg

This was my first melt, I’ve done about 9-10 so far. Each weighs about 9 lbs. It’s basically a waste of time but I enjoy it for some unknown reason.

So what does everybody else do as a hobby that’s not very common?

The firewood/woodchuck thread got me thinking. What other hobbies do you guys have that aren’t very common? Obviously there’s a bunch of us that cut wood or do woodworking, mountain biking, photography etc.. I’m talking about the out in left field type of hobbies.

I went down a YouTube rabbit hole one time and found myself watching a guy, BigstackD. He had a forge and was melting copper and aluminum into ingots. Thought it was interesting and 2 weeks later a forge showed up on my doorstep 😀 I’m a contractor so I have access to tons of scrap wire and pipe, storing it in trash cans was getting annoying so I figured I might as well try it out right?!
View attachment 7553708
This was my first melt, I’ve done about 9-10 so far. Each weighs about 9 lbs. It’s basically a waste of time but I enjoy it for some unknown reason.

Dude, not to go Full @Maggot on ya, but it appears you've got a really Big Brick !

Attachments

• 6680C215-ADD3-4928-B24B-A9FA3ADC0155.jpeg
    6680C215-ADD3-4928-B24B-A9FA3ADC0155.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 4E55ED80-8040-481E-8566-823BDD850D4F.jpeg
    4E55ED80-8040-481E-8566-823BDD850D4F.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 177
Too many hobbies I have......

Coin collecting.
Precious metal collecting.
Metal detecting for coins and relics.
3D Printing.
Canning food.
Cooking.
Darts.
Making fire logs out of shredded paper. Kinda a side business around the neighborhood.

This doesn't include the normal hobbies like reloading, gun collecting, shooting, etc.

View attachment 7553708

Not a waste if you resell the copper, which today brings a nice return.
At today's spot, $3.77 each of those blocks is worth about $30. In today's market all of them should get you a box of .22 rimfires.

Last edited:
Hobbies: Electronics, Machining, Hand-Engraving, Electroplating, Restoring 100 year old fountain pens.

Attachments

• pen cap on cap towards camera.jpg
    pen cap on cap towards camera.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 102
  • After Nib replaced with Conklin Toledo number 3 nib.jpg
    After Nib replaced with Conklin Toledo number 3 nib.jpg
    809.5 KB · Views: 96
  • lathe on stone base image scaled.jpg
    lathe on stone base image scaled.jpg
    630.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Uncrated first good look.jpg
    Uncrated first good look.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Pen is mightier.jpg
    Pen is mightier.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 74
I picked-up another hobby that I use to mess with years back. F around with RC trucks in the winter. Build one every now and then, down in the Man Cave, when I need time away from the lil lady. But.....Like all hobbies......gets expensive, but, occupies the mind and hands. Mac

View attachment 7553708

So now you need to edgumicate yourself about alloys so I can roll it out into sheet stock in order to make jackets, and with other elements into brass cups and anvils for primers.

Reactions: OldSalty2
I was going to be a luthier... just don't have the time. Now I need to sell some shit 🤣
I looked into getting into that... definitely a job of passion. Put a few electrics together, always did my own electrical rewiring, really wanted to get into acoustics. The more research I did the more I found out how long it was going to take to become professional the more I found out how little money I can make... kind of like Gunsmithing.

I did do Gunsmithing for a while but that was back when only doctors, attorneys Etc we're buying Precision rifles. Looking back I should have stayed on that path.

A few years ago I was going to get into building custom handmade recurves...taxes and cheap China builds kept me from doing that

Last edited:
One of my favorite hobbies was RC helicopters. And that was before this flight stabilization crap that people are using. I tried RC planes but either you're flying or you're not. With helicopters I can hover around, bounce around a bit.

One of the things I found most enticing if I crash I simply do a minor disassembling, in most cases, put on the new parts and I'm back flying. Break landing gear, bend a main or tail shaft Maybe boom strike, all things I can repair at the field and get back flying. Hell, I used to keep braided Kevlar fishing line, fiberglass strips and CA glue. Frame breaks in landing gear brakes were easily repaired and I'm right back up in the air.

I still chuckle at some of the chicken dances I had and some of the dumb thumbs I had slamming a bird inverted end of the ground at full speed...good times

I picked-up another hobby that I use to mess with years back. F around with RC trucks in the winter. Build one every now and then, down in the Man Cave, when I need time away from the lil lady. But.....Like all hobbies......gets expensive, but, occupies the mind and hands. Mac
They make some awesome kits. I like the realistic looking ones with proper axels and such.

I looked into getting into that... definitely a job of passion. Put a few electrics together, always did my own electrical rewiring, really wanted to get into acoustics. The more research I did the more I found out how long it was going to take to become professional the more I found out how little money I can make... kind of like Gunsmithing.

I did do Gunsmithing for a while but that was back when only doctors, attorneys Etc we're buying Precision rifles. Looking back I should have stayed on that path.

A few years ago I was going to get into building custom handmade recurves dot-dot-dot taxes and cheap China builds kept me from doing that
My focus was acoustic guitars, but wanted to do some electrics also. It has to be passion, only the top guys make a living at it. Might give it a go a bit later. My youngest is a professional musician, it would be cool to give him something to play that I made.

I like to hike in the mountains, so with it being wintertime, I picked up some snow shoes. Much more fun than hiking!

Attachments

• FA8F1401-5DB8-4771-8EBC-96CF359A98B3.jpeg
    FA8F1401-5DB8-4771-8EBC-96CF359A98B3.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 39
  • F578DD3E-3F24-419B-8E4E-13398185BF2D.jpeg
    F578DD3E-3F24-419B-8E4E-13398185BF2D.jpeg
    510 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: pmclaine
Besides a good bit of uspsa, and some long range, and messing with the cars, I do a little woodwork, and hope to turn out some knives in the near future. I hike a little bit on the AT when I can. Still scuba dive (a bad habit I picked up from the Navy). Used to rock climb and martial arts a good bit, but broken toes with screws and pins don’t let me do that any more. My problem is that there is way too much fun stuff to do and not enough time. I keep telling my boss that this work stuff is getting in the way of my life. He just laughs.

Attachments

• DA5383AB-3202-4D86-A613-AAF5E866AF3A.jpeg
    DA5383AB-3202-4D86-A613-AAF5E866AF3A.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 42
Besides a good bit of uspsa, and some long range, and messing with the cars, I do a little woodwork, and hope to turn out some knives in the near future. I hike a little bit on the AT when I can. Still scuba dive (a bad habit I picked up from the Navy). Used to rock climb and martial arts a good bit, but broken toes with screws and pins don’t let me do that any more. My problem is that there is way too much fun stuff to do and not enough time. I keep telling my boss that this work stuff is getting in the way of my life. He just laughs.
Who do you dive with in CLT? Please..say it ain’t Moose 🤣