Odd ball hobbies

They make some awesome kits. I like the realistic looking ones with proper axels and such.
Yep, they do. One of my best trucks, is the Wraith. I've got about $1200 into it. I got back into the hobby, when I broke a leg after a Dual-Sport bike accident. I had a lot of time to heal up and needed something to do, so I wouldn't go nuts and the rest is history. Mac
ETA: don't mind the paint job, was my first time painting a Lexan/polycarb. body.
019 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Picking locks. Usually it’s just sitting on the couch watching TV and playing with old padlocks. I sometimes pick up cheap used padlocks at flea markets/retail shops to play with. Occasionally I get to show off my skills at work when someone gets locked out of their house and calls non-emergency. My $40 pick set can usually save the homeowner from installing a new doorframe or the cost of a locksmith.
I’m no professional by any means, but I find it an amusing way to pass time, and it provides some real world skills value.

As my grandma used to say .. "only 2 things fall from the sky ... bird shit and idiots" We used to sit gram in the corner with her Palmals and an ashtray. 🤣
😉😉 Skydiving is actually one of the safest hobbies one can do. The current technology that allows a human/objects to safely land on the ground with or without intervention is pretty remarkable. Compare it motorcycle racing, motox, mtb, rock climbing, etc. injuries and deaths hurling your body outside a plane, helo, balloon, etc. dwarf any ground hobbies.

Last edited:
Aside from rock climbing & surfing, I really got into Bonsais. I left on deployment a few years back and my, at the time, girlfriend(now wife) didn’t quite have the green thumb I do and I returned home to a pretty dead bonsai. That kinda sucked 😏 It’s just not a patient mans hobby haha. I'm very much looking forward to growing some other types of green plants when the time arrives ;)
1B78890C-6345-41FA-9E5A-BCD0D4556589.jpeg
78694257-379A-4CC1-BF09-ECB4C98E27FD.jpeg
2243FCCF-B138-4D71-A0AC-EFEDDD1C4CC7.jpeg

Attachments

• 269FB483-A21F-45AA-9569-79B198FD3782.jpeg
    269FB483-A21F-45AA-9569-79B198FD3782.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 3D3BAA3B-5CCA-496E-997D-01A13303C9C1.jpeg
    3D3BAA3B-5CCA-496E-997D-01A13303C9C1.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I mainly build the Axial kits, but, I do own a couple of Traxxas trucks. Wife bitches about them being toys and I have to agree with her, but, the grand kids do have fun, so it's ok. Mac
Your wife is right, they are toys just like my RC helicopters. It doesn't matter that there are a couple of thousand dollars, doesn't matter that they're dangerous and have killed people... Still toys for my news. Of course they can be used as tools for a job... but that is a very small percentage of those RC vehicles.

Cracks me up when you get on to some of the RC sites and people getting offended when you call them toys.

Reactions: 10ring'r
I picked-up another hobby that I use to mess with years back. F around with RC trucks in the winter. Build one every now and then, down in the Man Cave, when I need time away from the lil lady. But.....Like all hobbies......gets expensive, but, occupies the mind and hands. Mac

Have you tried chronic masturbation?
It's much cheaper.

I think most of my hobbies tie into hunting.

I like bird watching a bit, but mostly because I have two sets of high dollar binos sitting in the living room to check out what is going on in the back yard.

I like spending money on the truck, but it is necessary for conveyance and I have built it into a pretty good offroader.

Reloading so I can shoot more, so I can hit what I am aiming at.

Our kids are now homeschooled (not via public zoom) because the public schools in New Mexico have shit themselves. So in the interest of quality that has taken a ton of time.

We like to fish, but we aren't very good at it.

I am a master diver, but I haven't been in the water in probably 10 years. The interest isn't there anymore.

Our kids have become our biggest hobby. We spend a lot of time working on life skills.

I used to build knives, but not really doing that anymore. Have all the stuff and 30 blanks but I am bored by it.

My health took a shit, so now I am taking a lot of time trying to figure out how to undo the past part of my life where I drank booze, ate mountains of candy and was mostly carbohydrates. I haven't had a carb in a couple of months, and I lost 30 pounds. Funny how shit your body works when you hit 45 when you have been on a shit diet for 30 years and been out of the military for 7.

Reactions: camocorvette
Picking locks. Usually it’s just sitting on the couch watching TV and playing with old padlocks. I sometimes pick up cheap used padlocks at flea markets/retail shops to play with. Occasionally I get to show off my skills at work when someone gets locked out of their house and calls non-emergency. My $40 pick set can usually save the homeowner from installing a new doorframe or the cost of a locksmith.
I’m no professional by any means, but I find it an amusing way to pass time, and it provides some real world skills value.
Been thinking recently of picking up the Covert Instruments covert companion. Sad thing is that I have way too many interests without the money for them all.

Been thinking recently of picking up the Covert Instruments covert companion. Sad thing is that I have way too many interests without the money for them all.
That’s funny. I ordered a Southord JackKnife last night to keep in my pocket. It only contains 6 picks, but I find I rarely use anything but a medium hook or a rake anyway. Includes a tension tool with integral storage. For only $40 it looks like a decent little pocket kit, so we’ll see.

I used to have a couple of Nokonas but they are too heavy and way too soft. Probably a good choice for softball but not baseball. Most of the gloves I have now are pro issue I got from either a player or a glove rep.

Shopping for my sons glove couldn't find any made in US other than Nokona.....offered to let him custom make one but he wanted whatever all the other kids had.....made in Vietnam.

I think most of my hobbies tie into hunting.

I like bird watching a bit, but mostly because I have two sets of high dollar binos sitting in the living room to check out what is going on in the back yard.

I like spending money on the truck, but it is necessary for conveyance and I have built it into a pretty good offroader.

Reloading so I can shoot more, so I can hit what I am aiming at.

Our kids are now homeschooled (not via public zoom) because the public schools in New Mexico have shit themselves. So in the interest of quality that has taken a ton of time.

We like to fish, but we aren't very good at it.

I am a master diver, but I haven't been in the water in probably 10 years. The interest isn't there anymore.

Our kids have become our biggest hobby. We spend a lot of time working on life skills.

I used to build knives, but not really doing that anymore. Have all the stuff and 30 blanks but I am bored by it.

My health took a shit, so now I am taking a lot of time trying to figure out how to undo the past part of my life where I drank booze, ate mountains of candy and was mostly carbohydrates. I haven't had a carb in a couple of months, and I lost 30 pounds. Funny how shit your body works when you hit 45 when you have been on a shit diet for 30 years and been out of the military for 7.
What I read is that your hobby is quitting.

I exclusively play old school video games.

Played this on school Apple II in 1978... are yours that old school?

Played this in 1979 on friend's TV.... yours this old school?

Played a bunch of this on another friend's TV in 1983... Maybe that old school?

Played some of this at local market, 1985... Perhaps old school?

Never owned a video game myself... But it beats juvenile delinquency!

Sirhr

Juggling four bull testicles would be a good "Odd Hobby". Tennis balls not so much
Would juggling with three tennis balls be considered an odd hobby?
How about four?

My wife plays piano, I'm listening to her play it now. Is that a hobby or more of a past time?

(Insert organ jokes here)
While the bulls are still attached. FUCKING winner winner!!

Sure I'll bite, I have a bachelors in agricultural science majoring in education and master's of science in forestry (still trying to publish my work). Both degrees lead to a life long obsession of forest management. Also your talking to a guy who accidently pissed off the tour guide at Louisville slugger when I asked about EAB.

Have 9+ change years left to get my forester certification.

Tools I need to cruise my property are the logger's tape (diameter), cruise all (Basal area and used to determine which trees to measure during a plot sampling of a stand, used in calculations) and clinometer (measure total or merchantable heights). I have a few Biltmore sticks stashed away as well.

My favorite tool is my Hagloff Increment Bore. The latest sample I have taken is from a Black Walnut on my property. Still need to polish it so I can count the rings for age. Lots of software SILVA, FVS and excell sheets for calculations. If its not American made I find that the Finns and Swedes make excellent equipment

149510435_459598288745225_7968272977305081450_n.jpg
150082131_426470458681731_2508383488678421555_n.jpg

149894787_431242141493386_5436143280539617428_n.jpg

149524765_417881539446604_7691649114313024980_n.jpg

132443887_406193710724862_94935843740232755_n.jpg

Black Walnut diameter

Attachments

• 149910469_1084866625313496_5881128797374951140_n.jpg
    149910469_1084866625313496_5881128797374951140_n.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Sure I'll bite, I have a bachelors in agricultural science majoring in education and master's of science in forestry (still trying to publish my work). Both degrees lead to a life long obsession of forest management. Also your talking to a guy who accidently pissed off the tour guide at Louisville slugger when I asked about EAB.

Have 9+ change years left to get my forester certification.

Tools I need to cruise my property are the logger's tape (diameter), cruise all (Basal area and used to determine which trees to measure during a plot sampling of a stand, used in calculations) and clinometer (measure total or merchantable heights). I have a few Biltmore sticks stashed away as well.

My favorite tool is my Hagloff Increment Bore. The latest sample I have taken is from a Black Walnut on my property. Still need to polish it so I can count the rings for age. Lots of software SILVA, FVS and excell sheets for calculations. If its not American made I find that the Finns and Swedes make excellent equipment

View attachment 7554721View attachment 7554722

View attachment 7554723
View attachment 7554756
View attachment 7554730

Black Walnut diameter
I’ve read up a lot on dendrochronology and it’s making a huge impact on history and archaeology... even geology and vulcanology.

Whoever really figured out the data basing and the study of tree rings as a way to really date everything from cathedral beams to Viking graves to ancient tsunamis deserves a Nobel Prize!

Very cool odd hobby! Sirhr

Played this on school Apple II in 1978... are yours that old school?

Played this in 1979 on friend's TV.... yours this old school?

Played a bunch of this on another friend's TV in 1983... Maybe that old school?

Played some of this at local market, 1985... Perhaps old school?

Never owned a video game myself... But it beats juvenile delinquency!

Sirhr

My parents have a Colecovision that still works.

I’ve read up a lot on dendrochronology and it’s making a huge impact on history and archaeology... even geology and vulcanology.

Whoever really figured out the data basing and the study of tree rings as a way to really date everything from cathedral beams to Viking graves to ancient tsunamis deserves a Nobel Prize!

Very cool odd hobby! Sirhr
Its interesting just seeing growth patterns vs size. The management has helped me make some money off my property.

Reactions: Barneybdb