• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact @alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Maggie’s What's Your View II

The dairy trades equipment in at 10,000. I don't know the price of a new tractor. We have a lower dollar per hour price than green. That means for the 10,000 hours it should cost less to buy and maintain a red tractor.

Reactions: Barneybdb
Mother Nature is going bi polar here in North Carolina. The youngest wanted to go cruising the Gator around so we froze our tails off for a bit. I miss real snow
D60A53CD-8877-4CAB-B69F-C8363746F913.jpeg

I’ve enjoyed your pics of splitting the Case IH. To the untrained eye, how ‘bout a pic or two of your findings? The good, the bad, and the ugly. I enjoy tearing something part and finding the broken part/missing link. Nothing worse than the report of “could not duplicate”.
The one I'm working on now is a full size magnum?, I just finished tearing apart a mid range magnum?. The mid range had half of a snap ring in the hydraulic filter. The owner wanted it torn down. I never found the other half!

The dairy trades equipment in at 10,000. I don't know the price of a new tractor. We have a lower dollar per hour price than green. That means for the 10,000 hours it should cost less to buy and maintain a red tractor.
Thanks for the pics! Easy math on new tractors is $1K per HP (rule of thumb, but close). A 20 ton feed wagon would be huge (half the weight of a loaded semi tractor/trailer rig). Is this a shuttle type tranny, CVT type, etc...? Thanks again and work safe with that heavy stuff.

IMG_20200221_090755.jpg

27 degrees this morning and I wanted to see if all the work done on my 7.3 was worth it.
I have had 3 different shops work on it because it won't start below 40 degrees unless it's plugged in.
Thanks to hours of research, several hours of work and an $85 shim kit from eBay. The truck started on the first cycle of the glo plugs.
BTW, I love this area. It's some of the prettiest in the country. East TN.

View attachment 7255812
27 degrees this morning and I wanted to see if all the work done on my 7.3 was worth it.
I have had 3 different shops work on it because it won't start below 40 degrees unless it's plugged in.
Thanks to hours of research, several hours of work and an $85 shim kit from eBay. The truck started on the first cycle of the glo plugs.
BTW, I love this area. It's some of the prettiest in the country. East TN.
For my 7.3, it was a glow plug relay. It cracked and moisture got in and eventually corroded it What did the shim kit do? What problem did it fix? In case I have the same eventually.

I have 260K miles on mine. The glow plugs had been replaced, a couple different sets of gaskets, relays replaced and a bunch of bullshit from mechanics.
What I finally found was the injectors need to have a certain spacing between the coil and the armature. They need a minimum of four thousand under the armature. Also a small weep hole in the spacer will allow oil drain off and help in cold starting.
Here's a good video to explain. I don't think he covered the drain Gap in the spacer though. I will post a picture of it in a bit.

For my 7.3, it was a glow plug relay. It cracked and moisture got in and eventually corroded it What did the shim kit do? What problem did it fix? In case I have the same eventually.

Pictures of the spacer rework.
IMG_20200221_194134.jpg

IMG_20200221_194111.jpg

Edit to add. A quarter inch ratchet, a short socket and a deep well socket along with contortion is your friend in removing the valve covers. I sure wish there was a video on that. Extensions and swivels are worthless.

Reactions: Geno C.
I have 260K miles on mine. The glow plugs had been replaced, a couple different sets of gaskets, relays replaced and a bunch of bullshit from mechanics.
What I finally found was the injectors need to have a certain spacing between the coil and the armature. They need a minimum of four thousand under the armature. Also a small weep hole in the spacer will allow oil drain off and help in cold starting.
Here's a good video to explain. I don't think he covered the drain Gap in the spacer though. I will post a picture of it in a bit.

150,000 on mine and I'm second owner. Had it for 15 years. No leaks and no squeaks. The valve covers have never been removed, thank goodness. I watched the video. I have been a design engineer for the past 25 years for car parts and we have to do problem solving. Whoever figured this out is a person I have the highest respect for. Seriously, 0.002" on a unit injector on an engine with God knows how many parts.....and someone said," that's it right there". I will definitely keep this in the file. It will happen to me one day and I will remember this and it will save me a ton of money. thanks.

I also deleted replaced the turbo pedestal with the back pressure delete. Installed the high pressure oil cross over, the Riff Raff fuel pressure cross over, the fuel line check valve delete, I also removed the check valve in the fuel filter tower and the inlet air heater delete. I also installed the T6 programmer. The improvements with out the T6 are impressive on how much better the truck runs now.
150,000 on mine and I'm second owner. Had it for 15 years. No leaks and no squeaks. The valve covers have never been removed, thank goodness. I watched the video. I have been a design engineer for the past 25 years for car parts and we have to do problem solving. Whoever figured this out is a person I have the highest respect for. Seriously, 0.002" on a unit injector on an engine with God knows how many parts.....and someone said," that's it right there". I will definitely keep this in the file. It will happen to me one day and I will remember this and it will save me a ton of money. thanks.

I put 250cc hybrid injectors in my old 7.3 and it would start in -15f without being plugged in, every time. A larger glow plug relay helps to make them last longer also. @DarnYankeeUSMC i see you’re still running the stick sized one. It probably isn’t as big of a deal down by you as it is up here

A friend hooked me up with an early birthday present last night at dinner. Very unexpected but very cool. He’s not even a cigar guy ? View attachment 7256132

I bought a decent handful of those last year and you just reminded me of it. Might just have to set one on fire this evening. They're solid, tasty sticks. That's a good friend ya got there! And happy early birthday.

Being a perfect day, I’m doing load development for Cash today. And working with my Vudoo and spikes 22 ar pistol. I’m not sure which is making me feel better today if the 3 of them really!
CF5E5731-1EE9-45A3-AB85-C126C59BF543.jpeg
A few 5 round groups from the Vudoo with centerX
2DE77F03-12D5-4098-A7E2-2A570893A81A.jpeg
and the little pistol that is running over 90% hits in a 4” at 100?
F4461713-3878-47B5-84CB-225477C1B950.jpeg

Yeah, if it's negative anything here my ass is staying in by the fireplace.

The temperature this morning was 18 degrees and the truck started no problem.
Having an unreliable vehicle is a pain in the ass. I figured for as many high mileage 7.3 are around the fix would be well known.
I put 250cc hybrid injectors in my old 7.3 and it would start in -15f without being plugged in, every time. A larger glow plug relay helps to make them last longer also. @DarnYankeeUSMC i see you’re still running the stick sized one. It probably isn’t as big of a deal down by you as it is up here
Stick sized? Glow plugs?

Reactions: TACC and Geno C.
I should be doing some ugrades to my 7.3 .......150k miles. Although she still starts up at 20*F and colder. I only start her under 20 when I absolutely have to. She don't like it. I usually cycle plugs and wait 5 secs after idiot light goes out. She'll rumble and fart out the exhaust. After the 2nd try it starts right up.
Diesel power is addicting.
Agreed! I like my 7.3 but I really miss my 12v. I have a 96 F350 that I tucked away long ago for a build project. I was going to stuff the 12v I had in it along with the NV4500. Since the 12v I used to drive "disappeared," I upgraded my build plans to a 6.7L cummins with a 12v head, and ZF6spd.

Both of my statements in this post have yet to take priority over my firearms hobby. :rolleyes:

how long unwrapped to get that bark??

8hrs @ 250*

I put Green chille infused olive oil on the pork and then the dry rub. The rub is nothing more than coarse ground pepper, coarse salt,
Garlic & Onion powder with some Paprika for color.

A little Pineapple sprits a couple of times. After I foil it goes back on until it reaches internal temp of 199*

Most of the time it's about 12hrs total time.

Went skiing yesterday with my kiddo and friend.

Other friends skipped out, said they needed some down time after a brutal week at work and driving I-70 wasnt part of it.

A few pics.

Kiddo with my friend.
C003BC1F-E59A-49FC-81B4-B515ACD704E5.jpeg
My kiddo and I. We get a selfie while riding the lift every ski day. Should be a great collage some day.
8C39370D-F331-4B47-8ADC-A5D9B32DA94B.jpeg
My friend and I while kiddo was in her lesson.
FF5CF4C4-4FD6-4280-9BD2-E1049CDEE248.jpeg