• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

6gt

Thanks - I never heard of it, so I did not realize it was powder. Learned something new.
Yessir, I still had 8 lbs of it sitting on the shelf from when I was trying some .223 bolt gun & AR-15 loads... Most folks use it for .223 stuff. It's supposedly very temperature stable powder and at one time was a lot easier to find than Hodgdon powders in similar burn rates. Glad I kept it around now!

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
Starting to see a new issue. I haven't adjusted my sizing dies in the last 2 runs. I am getting almost exactly 1.5-2 thousand shoulder bump.

After running through the Sizing die and mandrel, the cases will not drop into a case gauge. Its almost like the base of the case is expanding out. Has anyone else seen these issues? Probably have 10 firings on this brass , on the 5th barrel.

After running through the Sizing die and mandrel, the cases will not drop into a case gauge. Its almost like the base of the case is expanding out. Has anyone else seen these issues? Probably have 10 firings on this brass , on the 5th barrel.

Haven't gotten into my 2nd GT barrel, yet, so I haven't seen it there, but definitely seen it with other cartridges - especially when swapping barrels. Basically, the very bottom of the case isn't getting sized down and eventually expands just a bit.

The fix for .308 case head size cases is actually surprisingly easy (at least, it has been for me, in the past). Get a Lee .45 ACP U-die (undersize sizing die), take the decapping stem out of it, and run your cases through it. It's a carbide die for a straight wall pistol case, so it's just a sizing ring - won't bump your shoulders or anything like that (which is something that *will* happen with cartridges that have a small base die - to full size the base, you end up squishing your shoulders back a lot, too). Then do a normal sizing die pass.

Are some full length sizing dies fuller length than others?

Yeah, they are... And it depends on how the die works, vs your shoulder bump, too. If you've got a die that uses a neck bushing (or no bushing), and you set the die to only bump .001-.002, you might not be sizing the lower most part of the case... And I've even had this issue w/ SAC neck/shoulder bushing die sizing .25 Creed, so...

Also.... I can't find any data for this, and I don't have the tooling to measure it myself at the moment... but I suspect it's also possible that your chamber might expand ever so slightly through its lifetime (like, .001-.0015"-ish?)... and that's potentially enough to cause brass to no longer fit in a new chamber, even when cut by the same reamer (when we're talking tight match chambers, etc). I have absolutely no idea if that's a horseshit thought at all, just me conjecturing, so probably ignore it, but... <shrug>

Last edited:
I just picked up a 6gt proof prefit, is there any recommendations on a FL sizing die? I'm leaning towards redding type s dies, but if there is something better or as good for less coin I'm in. I'm probably going to get alpha brass since Lapua isn't out yet and I don't want to toss it after 4 firings with hornady.

This is what I bought.

Hornady Custom Grade 6mm GT die set, with Microjust Seating Stem. (non bushing style)

Hornady Item numbers:

• Custom Grade Die set # 041624C
  • Microjust Seating Micrometer #044090
  • The full length sizer die is cut with a .266" neck diameter - Perfect for about .002" neck tension with the Alpha Munitions or Hornady 6mm GT brass.

I just picked up a 6gt proof prefit, is there any recommendations on a FL sizing die? I'm leaning towards redding type s dies, but if there is something better or as good for less coin I'm in. I'm probably going to get alpha brass since Lapua isn't out yet and I don't want to toss it after 4 firings with hornady.
I've used Type S dies but read people were pleased with the RCBS Matchmaster 6GT dies so I've got a set coming.

Reactions: Hickswr
Starting to see a new issue. I haven't adjusted my sizing dies in the last 2 runs. I am getting almost exactly 1.5-2 thousand shoulder bump.

Try the cortina mandrel. It has a base that squeezes down the brass near the case head to prevent it from swelling.

It’s an expensive mandrel for but it’s coated and very slick.

This is what I bought.

I have these and the are a little rough...they don't scratch or anything like that just not smooth...I prefer the forster size with honed neck super smooth and they size the base a bit more than the other dies I have.

Reactions: Andrew863
ok thanks and how is the 6 GT competing against the 6 Dasher.
Haven't ran a Dasher personally so I'll have to let someone that has run both comment on direct comparison... IMHO you can't go wrong with either, they're both extremely capable in the accuracy department and have great quality components available. The thing that appealed to me was that the GT was designed for .308 family AICS/AW mags and I already had AW mags on hand. Just didn't want to buy another batch of mags that were BR/BRA/Dasher specific or try to find spacer kits. IMO it kinda boils down to whether you're starting from scratch and buying all new parts or if you already have AICS or AW mags you can use.

Cool seeing this ad in a magazine I just pulled out of my mailbox. (y)

IMG_5169.jpeg

No loading today.....but I did knock out some brass prep.

This 100rd batch is now ready to prime, charge and seat.

Gonna sleep on it tonight and load 'em in the morning.

Good coffee will be waiting. :coffee:

View attachment 8451265View attachment 8451266View attachment 8451267

I guess I am the only ignorant one here - what am I looking at in the primer area in the first picture? Sorry, but I cannot figure it out. They are not loaded primers, but do not appear to be shot primers with a dent. What is that?

• Haha
Reactions: John Glidewell
I guess I am the only ignorant one here - what am I looking at in the primer area in the first picture? Sorry, but I cannot figure it out. They are not loaded primers, but do not appear to be shot primers with a dent. What is that?
Shiny clean or new primer pockets... Reflections of the flash holes in the sides of the pockets?

Great sales prices on the 6mm Match Burners this week at MidwayUSA.

Picked up 1,000.
Man I wish I had tried those. I really want to get away from the 109 hybrid bc I can't always find them and 2 for the price. I have read so much about the MB being inconsistent. I have to get some to give a try. If I knew my barrel would like them I would get 3k for the season.

Reactions: DubfromGA
Man I wish I had tried those. I really want to get away from the 109 hybrid bc I can't always find them and 2 for the price. I have read so much about the MB being inconsistent. I have to get some to give a try. If I knew my barrel would like them I would get 3k for the season.
Just get the 108 or 109 eldm. They run great for any match related shoots.

Reactions: DubfromGA
Just get the 108 or 109 eldm. They run great for any match related shoots.
I know some people like them, but in the 3 6mm barrels I have had, I have never had one shoot the eldm. I have had them like a tips. But nothing a consistent as the 109 from group to group and day to day. They just seem to have such a large tuning window.

108 elite hunter is a hybrid ogive. I also ran 108 BT and 107 SMK with good success. 107s can be had for less $$.

108 elite hunter is a hybrid ogive. I also ran 108 BT and 107 SMK with good success. 107s can be had for less $$.
Yea I talk to Berger about that also but never tested them, but they did confirm its a hybrid with a thinner jacket. The 107 and 110smk are on the list to test with the new barrel. I have 2 more comps to finish the season with my 6cm then I'll be making the swap. I really want to find a cheaper bullet for practice and then use the 109 for comps. Maybe I will get lucky and find a cheaper bullet I like.

Reactions: Gogga
Yea I talk to Berger about that also but never tested them, but they did confirm its a hybrid with a thinner jacket. The 107 and 110smk are on the list to test with the new barrel. I have 2 more comps to finish the season with my 6cm then I'll be making the swap. I really want to find a cheaper bullet for practice and then use the 109 for comps. Maybe I will get lucky and find a cheaper bullet I like.
I am running 115 DTACs in mine now. I was in same boat trying to find a good replacement. DTACs are doing very well.

Reactions: Gogga

The MBs are way more consistent than their price suggests.

The average reloader? Not so much lol 😂

I’ve been going back and forth between MBs and A-Tips and if I miss, it’s me, not the bullet’s fault.

Reactions: DubfromGA and Gogga

I am just now getting my sea legs back underneath me after a 20 absence from reloading.
Now I have the time and space to set things up.

Mighty enjoyable.

I have no plans for any competitive stuff.....just a mid-50's guy who is enjoying getting into longer range shooting.
4 more years until retirement.....hopefully get knee replacements done prior to that.....then perhaps the circumstances will line up for me to trying my hand at some formal shooting beyond just plinking with buddies and trash talking. :)

My first attempts at putting together a target gun have gone fairly smoothly.
Spun on the action and completed the assembly yesterday.

IMG_5267.jpeg

Hopefully time will permit for getting some rounds loaded later this afternoon.

This is the 105gr MB.....representative of what it measures at jam in my barrel.
Gonna back it up and load 5-10 rounds at incremental charge weights and see how she does.

IMG_5275.jpeg

The fire is stoked.

The MBs are way more consistent than their price suggests.

The average reloader? Not so much lol 😂

I’ve been going back and forth between MBs and A-Tips and if I miss, it’s me, not the bullet’s fault.

Your posts on the MB gave me the confidence to try them.

I have some ELDM's & Varget set aside for this gun.......but I wanted to first get started with a more affordable combination. My local range sells SW Precision for $35-$40 / lb to range members. I've asked him to check on 8lb jug pricing. Until then I am trying to buy 1lb from same lot #'s.

105gr MB over SW Precision this evening or early tomorrow morning (y)

Hoping to find an accurate load in the medium-->3/4-ish charge range.

Thank you for helping get this plan going through your comments.
I'd have never tried them....and been unaware. Barnes, in my mind, was strictly all-copper hunting stuff.

Mighty glad to learn other wise.

Reactions: Gray shooter
If there's anything I've learned about components, it's that to truly know you've got to try it yourself...usually, in bulk.

Because we cannot find out if the shit part is the new component, or us, over 100rds. Having some skin in the game makes it so giving up or quitting isn't too easy...

Some components are better than others for sure, but if one thinks a $0.60 projectile is twice as good as a $0.30 projectile every time, they're kidding themselves. Buy some, throw some on a fancy scale, measure some with some fancy calipers, and most of all, shoot them and see. They might be 1% better, maybe 5% better depending on what facet you're scrutinizing, but the difference isn't as vast as some guys think it is.

The longer I do this shit the more I feel like the main limiting factor is really the monkey pulling the handle/trigger. lol