• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6gt

I've ran over 37.8gr of H4350 to where I finally heard a lil powder crunch with 109hyb seated 40k off in a 169fb chamber. That's what I'd call 100% load density, possibly slightly compressed. But 8 know with 36.2gr at 2920 fps I could still hear powder shake in the case.
So mid 37gr in this case. Do you have your own rule for a good load density? Like Hairy was talking about 95% and up is gtg.

So assume you are a complete noob, and you have the following barrel:

• Bartlein M24 Contour Barrel (26" Finish Length)
    -1:7.5" Twist
    chamber cut with Alpha Munitions Legacy Reamer with a .120” freebore
A big jug of Varget, a bunch of virgin Alpha brass, and the following cache of bullets
  • SIerra 107 Matchking 1000 rounds
  • 106 A-Tip, 1000 rounds
  • Berger 109 LRHT, 500 rounds
  • Berger 6mm 105 VLD Target, 500 (these were supposed to be 109 LRHT, but . . . when they arrived I saw only the yellow Berger boxes and just assumed the snipershide member shipped what he said and what I paid for. Imagine my surprise when I unpacked them weeks later, a little too late to complain, lol)
Which bullets would you use to start?

I was leaning toward the 106 A-tip. These are the factory "seconds" that everybody is having good results with. Then maybe when those run out switching to the SMK 107, then maybe getting into the Bergers.

My thoughts are mainly the price. I spent by far the least on the 106 A-tip seconds, so I thought maybe to use those up as I am learning and going to the SMKs next as the next least expensive bullets.

But please share your thoughts. Which ones would you use to start? Assume you are a complete noob to hand loading. I have been shooting mainly commercial Hornady loading before and some handholds others put together.
Sell all of them. Go Sierra 110. Those bullets just work! Just about to rebarrel my 6GT now and gonna burn the new barrel out with S110’s. It ain’t broke and I don’t intend to try and fix it.

• Haha
Reactions: Hickswr
So mid 37gr in this case. Do you have your own rule for a good load density? Like Hairy was talking about 95% and up is gtg.
Pretty much. I like a full case, to when I shake a loaded round, I can barely hear the chink of the powder. Switching to DTACS and 35.8gr H4350 still gives me that as the boat tail protrudes quite a bit lower than a 109 due to long bearing surface.

Reactions: MxTexas
For those of you using H4350, any of you have velocity’s around 2840fps using 109 Bergers and 37.3 grains. I’ve looked and haven’t seen any as slow as mine. I’m using an A&D FX 120i and a Garmin xero C1. The powder and primers came from new stock. I’m 100 rounds in, it’s shooting tiny groups but am questioning the velocity according to Garmin. Wondering if my Garmin needs recalibrated. Thanks

H4350
Alpha OCD Brass
CCI 450’s
Bartlein 26” barrel
.0.120 Free Bore

For those of you using H4350, any of you have velocity’s around 2840fps using 109 Bergers and 37.3 grains. I’ve looked and haven’t seen any as slow as mine. I’m using an A&D FX 120i and a Garmin xero C1. The powder and primers came from new stock. I’m 100 rounds in, it’s shooting tiny groups but am questioning the velocity according to Garmin. Wondering if my Garmin needs recalibrated. Thanks

H4350
Alpha OCD Brass
CCI 450’s
Bartlein 26” barrel
.0.120 Free Bore
Don't question the garmin. Your barrel could be slower than avg, then if it's a newer jug of H4350, it's slower burning that the stuff from 2-3 years back. Check you're drops/dope at distance to verify.

Reactions: TKO

H4350
Alpha OCD Brass
CCI 450’s
Bartlein 26” barrel
.0.120 Free Bore

That is "slow" er than most here are getting, but sometimes a barrel won't truly speed up until 150 - 250 rounds.

I would 100% not worry about it if your rifle is shooting small. I know your question was whether your Garmin is off, but I would trust that as well. You can always shoot at 600 - 800 yards and see if your drop from your calculator matches what you are seeing if you really want to verify.

Reactions: TKO
That is "slow" er than most here are getting, but sometimes a barrel won't truly speed up until 150 - 250 rounds.

I would 100% not worry about it if your rifle is shooting small. I know your question was whether your Garmin is off, but I would trust that as well. You can always shoot at 600 - 800 yards and see if your drop from your calculator matches what you are seeing if you really want to verify.
Taking it back out tomorrow, also loaded up 20 rounds w/ Vaget to cross reference velocities. Thanks

I mean if someone at the range has a garmin or labradar, shoot a few and compare to your unit. There are defective products made. Every one I've been around has shot very close to known labradar velocity, like within 10fps or less. 37.3gr H4350 is a heavy charge, and if it's making the pressure it should be, you should be seeing flattened primer. Normal charges in my experience to have a 109 at 2850 should be around 36.2-36.6 depending on barrel length. My 28" tubes is 36.2 t 36.6 at 2910-2920.