New 6mm Advanced Rifle Cartridge

Man that ES and group size are no bueno.
No doubt. I didn’t record an ES but is easily done here. ES 47. Not great but 100 yd groups were reproducible. This was w/ Magnetospeed V3.

3/21/23
60F 20% 30.34 in

Hornady Black 105 BTHP factory load
2512, 2554, 2559, 2558, 2532,
2556, 2536, 2545, 2547, 2550
SD 13.9
1” 10 shot group
0.78” 5 shot

Reactions: Tex68w
Yea the distance to lands on some of these bullets is weird. For example, I'm into the lands with 87 VMAX @ 2.175 COAL... But still have tons of room in my mags and the bullet is still down in the case.

I would say if someone is planning to shoot these 75-90gr bullets a dedicated reamer that optimizes case capacity and maximizes magazine coal would be ideal. Maybe I'm wrong idk....

Got out yesterday to test the 85 SMK and Im liking it even better than the 87 VMAX. Shot multiple charge weights submoa with best being sub 0.5moa... Also, this barrel has really sped up after 100rd through it... These test was done with 1x brass that was tumbled, sized in a Wilson SS FL bushing die to squeeze down 0.005 under loaded diameter then a 21st Century mandrel to open back up to 0.003 neck tension and tumbled in corn cob.. I then trimmed with Henderson.

I also loaded up my go to 87 VMAX 31.0gr from my previous tests and shot yesterday. That same exact load in now 1x brass that was sized and trimmed, is now 2929 and it was 2875 during initial testing with new brass......so a little over 50fps faster all else being equal..

These 85 SMK's shoot great. Ill definitely be picking up a bunch more.. The SD's crept up to double digits as you went higher in charge weight. Still no pressure all the way up to 31.9gr (2982). Not a mark on the case head and primers still nice and round.

22" RTR 6 ARC
85 SMK
CFE 223 OCW
1x Starline Brass
CCI 450
2.050 COAL

MP5GMAp.jpeg

I think someone at Horndady is smoking meth! Decided to see what the max charge of 33.6gr of leverevolution looked like in the case and well.... there is no freaking way a 75gr vmax is gonna fit with the powder half way up the neck. The base of the vmax sits almost down to the beginning of the shoulder.
View attachment 8494868
View attachment 8494862

View attachment 8494863
View attachment 8494864

So I poured some out till I got below the neck and came up with 31.7grs which looks like this...
View attachment 8494866
View attachment 8494865

To top it off the recommended COL of 2.095" is jammed into the lands on my gun.
Did you try it with a long drop tube?

Reactions: LongRangeAggie
Did you try it with a long drop tube?
No I didn't, I used the manual powder drop funnel in the dillon 550. I did however tap the case on the bench a few times to see if that would settle/condese the powder. I also tried a once fired unsized hornady case but the result was the same both times.

Attachments

• 20240901_112112.jpg
    20240901_112112.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 11
Sample size of one here with a single 18" Proof Carbon build and roughly 200-300 rounds of experience with this caliber so take this with a grain of salt. So far it has grouped well with factory loaded 108's, 103's grouped just under 1" and the 80's have been all over the place but I did have a group under 1". See pic below for best five-round group with the 108's.

1. I shoot five round groups in roughly one minutes time, so 15-20 seconds between shot. I typically don't shoot more than 5-10 rounds without allowing the barrel to cool down for at least five minutes.
  2. I have run a JP bolt in a LMT SA carrier with great results and I have run the full JP FMOS BCG as well. I haven't noticed any changes in performance with the full JP BCG but the round count with it is still sub 100.
  3. Some swear by the need for an adjustable gas block but there have been wide selections in gas lengths which definitely creates another variable that can have an impact here. I believe Proof has the gas lengths the most sorted of any manufacturer currently making 6ARC barrels. I am running a non-adjustable SLR Micro on mine and have no issues suppressed.
  4. I had the same experience with the 80 VT's specifically without a can but it was simply to test for shift. I think most will shoot the 6ARC suppressed so it's not an issue in my eyes.
  5. With my 18" Rifle +1 I have beening a Carbine buffer but I could see moving up to an H1 as I go shorter. Lot's of variables here, just play with your particular setup until you find what works best.

dTLPrtD.jpg
Thanks for your feedback on this. Much appreciated.

So, I have found some Lever powder. I have worked up 4 different loads and plan to hit the range again when I can.

I can’t find anyone with a JP BCG in stock yet, so, I am on a waiting list. Hope to get my hands on one soon.

Get the Rubber City and save some money. They are 100% of equal quality. Those of us that have been in the AR game for a long time know Rubber City and JP are both top of the line.

I actually prefer the HM coating on the Rubber City bcgs.. so slick and cleaning you just wipe off. They also ship lightning fast. Have in a few days.

Get the Rubber City and save some money. They are 100% of equal quality. Those of us that have been in the AR game for a long time know Rubber City and JP are both top of the line.

I actually prefer the HM coating on the Rubber City bcgs.. so slick and cleaning you just wipe off. They also ship lightning fast. Have in a few days.

I'll second this! I got a RCA bcg heads spaced to my barrel when I ordered it.

Reactions: padom and Mmdutcher

Thanks! Placed an order for one.

Reactions: padom
I’ve got a bunch of various 6mm bullets if you’re interested in trying some to avoid buying all the boxes I did.
All loaded w/ Leverevolution
Sierra 95 TMK
Nosler 95 BT
Berger 95 VLD Hunter
Hornady 103 ELD-X
Berger 108 Elite Hunter
Berger 95 Classic Hunter
Sierra 107 HPBT

Loaded w/ A2230
Hornady 58 VMAX

I went to the range yesterday and had tried out my reloads using Lever. The results were not great. I was all over the place still. I did not receive the new BCG yet, but was hoping that it would have been a little better.

So, today, I received a notice of a recall with 6mm ARC and 22 ARC carbon barrels. After looking into this a little more and then calling and speaking with someone at Proof, I think that I may have found that variable. Apparently, their supplier of the barrel extension had not done something correctly with those extensions. It has affected the hardening and as a result, you might see some chips within the lug of the barrel extension. They told me that many upset people were complaining about accuracy issues and have found that these chipped lugs were contributing to that. Sure enough, I had 2 lugs that were chipped and would have affected the BCG going into battery properly or tight or snug. I have sent in my information for the recall and will be sending my barrel back to Proof for rework. I am hoping that this will fix the issue.

Because, if you will recall, when I got the barrel, I was seeing or did see sub-moa groups in the very beginning. Not any more. Again, I am hoping that this will fix that and get me back to where I want to be. Fingers crossed.

My Rainer Ultra match with the soft barrel extention just never wanted to shoot. I bought a cheap Faxon while I was waiting on a resolution with the rainer barrel and xcaliber make a barrel. It shot pretty well and the xcaliber did also right out of the gate. The faxon I still shooting well and holding head space at a little over 200 rounds.

Reactions: Mmdutcher
I just got back from shooting the 30rd of 87vmax at distance. Chrono 2933 while shooting 5 @ 100yd to adjust zero..

I then threw that into the kestrel and dialed 2.4 mil it spit out for 500yd. Smacked center.

I then dialed 632yd 4.0 mil and smacked a 4" swinger over and over. Then dialed 4.4mil for 700yd and banged a small swinger with the last of my rounds.

Stupid easy and no issues out to 700yd with 87 vmax